Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
JediChris1138 wrote:A different tone, I think. Reboot feelings aside, it's pretty clear the marketing folks are trying to figure out the tone they want.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/n ... ore-895312
I'll start this off by saying that my opinion of the first trailer was that it looked ok. I thought it basically was around what I was expecting. The jokes weren't the best, and some of them (power of Patty) really soured with multiple viewings.

That said, this trailer makes the movie look REALLY fun. It's still a reboot, at least in my opinion, until I officially hear otherwise. That's really my only issue, as I just wanted them to continue the original story in some way (even tagging in alternate dimensions or something). But this looks like an enjoyable movie to me.
So I'm a little confused now... the last movie trailer made it seem like we were going to take the Ghostbusters frame and remake it in a Zoolander type way, so we got a slapstick style film. This new trailer looks like they're trying to split the difference and have something between original Ghostbusters and slapstick remake.

Hopefully the tone of the film is consistent, the writing and comedy is smart, and the characters are relatable.

All feelings on reboots, gender politics, tonal and camera style shifts aside, if the job a trailer is to provide you with a straightforward taste of what kind of film you are going to get, I'm not sure this did the best job. I'm more confused than ever about what kind of film we're getting - but based on the feedback I've seen on this site, this seems to play a little more to the style of the originals whether to it's benefit or detriment! Fascinating to consider.
JediChris1138 wrote:So I'm a little confused now... the last movie trailer made it seem like we were going to take the Ghostbusters frame and remake it in a Zoolander type way, so we got a slapstick style film. This new trailer looks like they're trying to split the difference and have something between original Ghostbusters and slapstick remake.

Hopefully the tone of the film is consistent, the writing and comedy is smart, and the characters are relatable.

All feelings on reboots, gender politics, tonal and camera style shifts aside, if the job a trailer is to provide you with a straightforward taste of what kind of film you are going to get, I'm not sure this did the best job. I'm more confused than ever about what kind of film we're getting - but based on the feedback I've seen on this site, this seems to play a little more to the style of the originals whether to it's benefit or detriment! Fascinating to consider.
I don't see any semblance to the originals at all. To me, it is entirely consistent with the first trailer. In fact, I think if this had been released as the first trailer, it would have received just as much negative feedback.
pferreira1983 liked this
I know I'm sour on the reboot idea so that may be clouding my judgment, but this trailer did nothing for me. I still think the ghosts look overly CGI, and I didn't find the jokes funny. Further, at this point, I have seen all of Patty Tolen that I care to. She's been shown as nothing more than an unfunny "mad black woman" stereotype.
By GBfan77
GhstbstrLMLIII wrote:I know I'm sour on the reboot idea so that may be clouding my judgment, but this trailer did nothing for me. I still think the ghosts look overly CGI, and I didn't find the jokes funny. Further, at this point, I have seen all of Patty Tolen that I care to. She's been shown as nothing more than an unfunny "mad black woman" stereotype.
So, what you are saying is you plan to stay home? Okay. That's cool.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:
I don't see any semblance to the originals at all. To me, it is entirely consistent with the first trailer. In fact, I think if this had been released as the first trailer, it would have received just as much negative feedback.
Is it really suppose to resemble the original? The Fly 1986 is nothing like The Fly 1956. This trailer is receiving just as much hate as the first one and I think that's completely unfair because I think it's a much better trailer. But as they say Haters are going to hate no mater how childish or irrational that hate might get.
Kingpin, twmedford23 liked this
By skankerzero
Honestly, I don't really see any difference from the first trailer.
Perhaps there was less jokes and more creep factor. Most likely because there are more completed effects now than before.

I honestly thought this trailer may have shown too much off. We see Rowan and the actual possession of Kevin.
pferreira1983 liked this
I failed to anticipate that "Rowan" would be comparable in size to Stay Puft. Of course! Why wouldn't he be? There's not an ounce of originality in this entire movie.
GBfan77 wrote:Is it really suppose to resemble the original? The Fly 1986 is nothing like The Fly 1956. This trailer is receiving just as much hate as the first one and I think that's completely unfair because I think it's a much better trailer. But as they say Haters are going to hate no mater how childish or irrational that hate might get.
I've noticed several people in this forum using the word "irrational" incorrectly. There's an endless sea of insults out there at your disposal if you're itching to find one. I suggest becoming familiar with a dictionary.
By Sav C
The first trailer was kind of dull, but this one looks much better! I think it helped that the original theme made an appearance, since the electric/modern version really isn't to my tastes.
IneptGamer liked this
By JurorNo.2
Much better than the first trailer. It's not going to replace the originals for me (duh) but it does seem like it could be fun.
Sav C liked this
By devilmanozzy
I like the trailer most of the three of them. But...

Why did they have to use the "Erin is Slimed" scene again? Same goes for the Jones "I don't know if its..." scene. A cameo from one of the old actors from GB1/GB2 could have been a nice touch.

But the fast pace, more action intense trailer is the way to go. Comedy in new parts was a bit better as it doesn't slow down the pace of the trailer too much. Ghosts are selling it for me. Still on-board with seeing it twice. :love:
By GBfan77
Egon's Pompadour wrote:I failed to anticipate that "Rowan" would be comparable in size to Stay Puft. Of course! Why wouldn't he be? There's not an ounce of originality in this entire movie.
Right, because a 5' 5" Rowan would be way more intimidating. It's Ghostbusters, when have they not dealt with giant monsters?
Egon's Pompadour wrote:I've noticed several people in this forum using the word "irrational" incorrectly. There's an endless sea of insults out there at your disposal if you're itching to find one. I suggest becoming familiar with a dictionary.
No, I think irrational is very correct. Tell me, what is so rational about haters posting comments like "My Childhood is ruined!!" or "This trailer gave me Cancer!!" and I hope with all my heart that those people who say that crap will one day get bitch slapped by someone with Cancer.

Sure, I could resort to name calling. I know a few good ones. But unlike some of the haters (Or vast majority depending on your point of view) I'm trying very hard to be adult about the whole thing. It has not been easy when you've been accused of being paid off by Sony or being a Bot.
Kingpin liked this
By GBfan77
devilmanozzy wrote: A cameo from one of the old actors from GB1/GB2 could have been a nice touch.
I disagree, something like that you want to save for the movie.
By Not404Error
I really wanted to give this movie a chance. I've enjoyed Bridesmaids and Spy, so I was hoping it would end up like those -- initial impressions were very "meh," but the actual movies were pretty good.

I love Ghostbusters. Favorite movie of all time, no questions asked. Didn't care about the casting choices. All female? Whatever, who cares. Reboot? Ehhh... interest waning. Reboot with the same logo, same name, and "30 years later" shtick to attempt to appeal to '84 fans from the first trailer? Okay, I'm annoyed, but I'll look past it.

Now, this trailer comes out -- and, honestly? What the f***?! If it's a reboot, don't use the same plot devices the first two did. Don't use the same f****g firestation. Don't replicate both movies scene for f****g scene.

I'm done with this movie.
By GBfan77
Not404Error wrote:
Now, this trailer comes out -- and, honestly? What the f***?! If it's a reboot, don't use the same plot devices the first two did. Don't use the same f****g firestation. Don't replicate both movies scene for f****g scene.

I'm done with this movie.
Movies like Ghostbusters use a certain formula. The sequel used that formula as did episodes of RGB and the video game. But I think you'd be done with it no matter WHAT they did. If they didn't use the fire station or similar plots, there would be people complaining about that too. It's impossible to please everyone.
GBfan77 wrote:
Egon's Pompadour wrote:I failed to anticipate that "Rowan" would be comparable in size to Stay Puft. Of course! Why wouldn't he be? There's not an ounce of originality in this entire movie.
Right, because a 5' 5" Rowan would be way more intimidating. It's Ghostbusters, when have they not dealt with giant monsters?
Egon's Pompadour wrote:I've noticed several people in this forum using the word "irrational" incorrectly. There's an endless sea of insults out there at your disposal if you're itching to find one. I suggest becoming familiar with a dictionary.
No, I think irrational is very correct. Tell me, what is so rational about haters posting comments like "My Childhood is ruined!!" or "This trailer gave me Cancer!!" and I hope with all my heart that those people who say that crap will one day get bitch slapped by someone with Cancer.

Sure, I could resort to name calling. I know a few good ones. But unlike some of the haters (Or vast majority depending on your point of view) I'm trying very hard to be adult about the whole thing. It has not been easy when you've been accused of being paid off by Sony or being a Bot.
Your post appeared to refer to mine, considering that you quoted it and offered no further context to your claim that 'Haters are going to hate no mater how childish or irrational that hate might get.' Nothing in my post was irrational. I've heard people use that word as an insult much like those whom call people or things "ignorant" in a nonsensical manner. Their ignorance of the word's proper usage is amusingly apparent.
By Not404Error
GBfan77 wrote:But I think you'd be done with it no matter WHAT they did. If they didn't use the fire station or similar plots, there would be people complaining about that too. It's impossible to please everyone.
I've been defending this movie since it was first posted.

If you're making it a reboot, make it a true reboot.
By Havoc0213
It wasn't fantastic but it was better than the first trailer. Still, I wish they would strive to be different if it is supposed to be a reboot and disconnected from the originals. With the appearance of Slimer and the use of the firehouse, it feels like they are relying way too much on nostalgia to carry the movie.
By JurorNo.2
At this point we're in the "Can't Win" phase. Either they're too much like the originals, or they're trying too hard to be different.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]