Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
This idea has been passed around for awhile & recently resurfaced on SourceFedNERD's review of the second international trailer for the new film ( https://youtu.be/mrgUzxt2rIo the 16:30 mark) It begs the question that, if you support GB16's theatrical run, are you unknowingly giving Hollywood fuel for its "reboot-itis"; a pass to create more (poorly thought out) reboots/rehashings? Think Michael Bay's Transformers franchise. Many often complain of the films' lack of character development & that they are nothing more than big budget explosion parties, but because the past films have proven to be lucrative, they continue to make more [directionally] that are in the same vein as the previous ones.

Could this trend happen to Ghostbusters? Say the newer audiences, despite the overwhelming downvotes for the trailers, see the movie & though many remain at odds with Paul Feig's vision (money talks!) & that becomes the new standard for all future GB-related content? Will it become generationally divisive?
Last edited by SonofSamhain on May 22nd, 2016, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, according to Reitman, there are several things in the works that will depend on the movie's success...
Alphagaia, Troy liked this
If we go see it, we contribute to the "hey, they love reboots!" culture, but on the flip side the classic Ghostbusters will get more love in addition to the reboot team.

If we don't, we can say "hey, we've had our fill of reboots, we're staying away until we see more original stuff!", but then it leads to a reduced possibility Sony will take a chance on making any more Ghostbusters items.

It's a sucky choice, but that's what we've got. :(
Does seeing the movie automatically put people in the "Hey, we love reboots!" group or can it just mean support for Ghostbusters in general? What if by seeing the new movie, people are encouraged to see the originals, the cartoons and the comics? There has to be something positive to come out of all of this.
roguespectre wrote:There has to be something positive to come out of all of this.
There is always something positive to be found. I know smug, trite phrases like "it's quite sad really" are practically a requirement on the Internet, but that's only one side of life.
Sony will twist and interpret the results any way they see fit, no matter what those results are. If the movie takes in less than expected, they will blame everyone and everything except the movie itself. You can already see this seed being planted. I don't think Sony is self-aware enough to realize where their mistakes are. However, if the movie does well, they will use that to validate... whatever it is they want to validate. They'll be emboldened to continue to make completely puzzling decisions regarding their movie properties.
kevinj319 wrote:Sony will twist and interpret the results any way they see fit, no matter what those results are.
THIS! Personally, as I've said before, I think that no matter what the results at the box office are (good OR bad), all we will hear about is the 4 female ghostbusters, not anything about it being a "reboot."
The problem I have with this line of thinking, people already have decided the movie is bad because it's a reboot, and how Sony will react to this before we are 100% sure it will happen this way. You can like or hate the trailer, it can still go either way depending on the movie.

Now, the trailer is an appetiser, and if this meant you dread the whole meal there is nothing wrong with you for going back to the restaurant you know and love and maybe write a bad review. I just tend to go for the dessert before I make my decision, but easy for me to say: I liked the appetiser well enough to stay in my seat for the next surprise.

Of course, anyone is free to go see it or not if that's how they feel about a new GB movie.
Sticking your head in the sand does not mean others are wrong in seeing it, of course, and nor are you if the originals are all you need.

Now, will the success of this movie trigger more content from the original timeline, or will it only expand the new universe? In the Empire magazine, they mentioned the success will cascade into more shows, movies and animations. Ivan is looking to connect all the dots, but of course they would say that in order to sell you a ticket.
The main question is, what will they do if it fails? Just postpone all the new ideas. Will they start again over 5 years with a movie in the old timeline or continue this one regardless but with a different franchise? Will the time be right then or will Marvel have fatigued us all by then, if not already?
Kingpin liked this
I've decided not to see this based on everything I've seen from the beginning and after watching all the trailers, not because it's a reboot. I'm not ranting and raving about the film (I feel no need to), I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I simply have not liked what I have seen and have enough information to make an educated guess that this film is not my cup of tea. I don't care if it generates new merchandise or not. I am not so materialistic that I need new Ghostbusters stuff to feel whole. Yeah it's cool that Diamond decided to make new figs, but my life would have still been just fine if they had never been made.

Anyone shaming others for their choice not to see a film, any film, has way too much time on their hands. Why do you even care what others do with their time? Nobody was giving me crap for not wanting to Ninja Turtles, Fright Night, or Total Recall. But Ghostbusters? For some reason this is a problem for people.

What people decide to do with their time is their choice and so long as they're not killing folk it's none of your business. If you want to see the movie, then go see it, if you don't want to see the movie then don't. You don't need to justify your reasons to anyone. And you certainly don't need to harp on others for their choices to see or not see a movie.
Alphagaia, pyhasanon, TK5759 and 6 others liked this
PeteVenkman_Jedi wrote:I've decided not to see this based on everything I've seen from the beginning and after watching all the trailers, not because it's a reboot. I'm not ranting and raving about the film (I feel no need to), I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I simply have not liked what I have seen and have enough information to make an educated guess that this film is not my cup of tea. I don't care if it generates new merchandise or not. I am not so materialistic that I need new Ghostbusters stuff to feel whole. Yeah it's cool that Diamond decided to make new figs, but my life would have still been just fine if they had never been made.

Anyone shaming others for their choice not to see a film, any film, has way too much time on their hands. Why do you even care what others do with their time? Nobody was giving me crap for not wanting to Ninja Turtles, Fright Night, or Total Recall. But Ghostbusters? For some reason this is a problem for people.

What people decide to do with their time is their choice and so long as they're not killing folk it's none of your business. If you want to see the movie, then go see it, if you don't want to see the movie then don't. You don't need to justify your reasons to anyone. And you certainly don't need to harp on others for their choices to see or not see a movie.
kevinj319 wrote:Sony will twist and interpret the results any way they see fit, no matter what those results are. If the movie takes in less than expected, they will blame everyone and everything except the movie itself. You can already see this seed being planted. I don't think Sony is self-aware enough to realize where their mistakes are. However, if the movie does well, they will use that to validate... whatever it is they want to validate. They'll be emboldened to continue to make completely puzzling decisions regarding their movie properties.
I think I'll take myself out of the equation. I don't want Sony making more reboots thank you.
Alphagaia wrote:The problem I have with this line of thinking, people already have decided the movie is bad because it's a reboot, and how Sony will react to this before we are 100% sure it will happen this way. You can like or hate the trailer, it can still go either way depending on the movie.
The media have been quick to point out that the people who dislike the new movie are a minority so I'm pretty sure the film will do well...unfortunately.
Without a doubt, paying to see this movie (or not) will send a message to Sony. If the movie does well, personally, I think the message that Sony will receive is not: "Let's take Ghostbusters in other directions." It will be: "Let's make a sequel with the same director/writer and cast. ...and lots and LOTS of CGI. Can't forget the CGI."
pferreira1983 wrote:I think I'll take myself out of the equation. I don't want Sony making more reboots thank you.
For me, this is the bottom of the barrel. No reboot that Hollywood could possibly make at this point will be more disappointing because Ghostbusters was my favorite fandom. :sigh:
gold333 liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:The media have been quick to point out that the people who dislike the new movie are a minority so I'm pretty sure the film will do well...unfortunately.
How can those people be the minority, when everyone I talked to since the reboot was announced disliked the idea? They all wanted to see GB3, but when I told them that the new movie will be a reboot they were all like "f*** it, I'm not going to watch that shit!"
And those were not hardcore GB fans! I'm talking about average people outside of the fandom who just liked the old movies.
The fans here and on the german forum are more like "Let's first see if it is good or bad before we damn it." But most of us also dislike that it's a reboot. As far as I know, nobody likes reboots, at least nobody I've ever met!
Can you imagine a reboot of Star Trek using all female actresses?

Female Kirk
Female Spock
Female Bones
Female Scotty
Female Uhura
Female Khan?

Or a female reboot of Star Wars?

Female Han Solo
Female Leia
Female Luke Skywalker
Female Chewbacca
Female C3PO
Female Darth Vader
Female Emperor

Try to push your mind into thinking this happening seriously.

It would be nothing other than a parody... or weird female fetish fan film. It would simply be a joke.

The reason it would be -impossible- for that to happen to those franchises is that they are taken seriously. Too serious to become a socio-political marketing experiment.

The GB franchise isn't. It's seen as some old kids movie no-one remembers apart from a handful of old guys as part of their childhood. That's it. Sony felt it could parody it as it pleased.

This current backlash is raw evidence of them massively underestimating the global GB fandom and underestimating people outside of the fandom who simply see right through Sony and its blaming the panning of it's embarrassingly bad movie/trailer on misogyny.
SonofSamhain liked this
Have you see some of those Facebook comments people left? It's those "fans" that need to go bye bye. You don't dictate to an artist how to respect his own work.

And I'm just going to leave this spot on Tweet here:

https://twitter.com/PositivelyGB/status ... 5660104704
Raystantz Italy wrote:Hey, even Aykroyd just posted that he's so pleased with the movie that he'll PAY to see it.

Other big news: my mum always said that I'm SO beautiful.
It's a no win situation you have created: anything positieve said by the persons involved is viewed as bias.

Which is perfectly normal of course, one is happy with a project of gets paid to be happy.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]