Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Kingpin
After the main cast and Ecto-1, a new garget vignette has shown up, showing off a bit more of the Trap (including the operation without visual effects), the Grenades, "Shotgun" and Shredder/Chipper:

Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Didn't the videogame did a similar thing while having an explanation for it? Something about weaker ghosts who cannot hold their form after being blasted or something.
The IDW comic did a similar thing as well with the 'evil' GB group who invented their own equipment. Problem was, they eventually reformed, mad as hell.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Yeah, I remember that in the game. An orange target thingy would appear and you'd aim for it to get rid of them.
By Fritz
Alphagaia wrote:The IDW comic did a similar thing as well with the 'evil' GB group who invented their own equipment. Problem was, they eventually reformed, mad as hell.
And RGB did it years before that in "Robo Buster" Not a fan of the idea myself, but we'll see how it's implemented in GB2016 before I throw a nerd fit about it.
Alphagaia liked this
By SpaceBallz
WTF is the point of sucking ghosts into a chipper? Just to look cool?

You know what else was pointless but looked cool? JNCO Jeans. And we all know how that went.
pferreira1983 liked this
By philmorgan81
SpaceBallz wrote:WTF is the point of sucking ghosts into a chipper? Just to look cool?

You know what else was pointless but looked cool? JNCO Jeans. And we all know how that went.

Believe me I hate to be the one saying this. ;) I am really hoping there is more context with how that Ghost Chipper works. This is one of the reasons the Reboot kind of troubled me, with the possibility of them just rewriting the rules of the universe we know.

I am guessing here and I hope that even though it is a reboot I am still hoping they are sticking with the established rules. If they are I can see it working.

What I am guessing is that there are way too many Spirits attacking in Time Square for them to trap. So they get geared up with this equipment that hasn't been field tested yet. I don't think they are destroying the ghosts. Like many here have been saying, I think this Army of Ghosts is so massive they are hindering the Ghostbusters from getting to their destination to save a posessed Kevin. So the the Chipper and The Granades are capable of quickly discorporating there Ectoplasmic structure long enough for the Ghostbusters to get to where they need to go without having to stop and trap them. The Goal at this point not being a paycheck, but to save the city and their possessed comrade.

I am just speculating at this point, but I hope it rings true. :):):)
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
MagicPrime wrote:I am not a big fan of the ghosts being destroyed rather than captured.
It's just temporary atomization.

There's not much to worry about since in the Holder novelization (spoiler about ending)
This Post Contains Spoilers
By Sav C
The new trap looks so awesome (seriously,) but it is still only my second favorite trap.

Now they're chipping ghosts. OK, I'm cool with it. Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "Get to the chipper!" Ghost chipping just got better :)
By Kingpin
SpaceBallz wrote:WTF is the point of sucking ghosts into a chipper? Just to look cool?
Look cool, provide a different bit of memorable technology, maybe even give us a sight gag.

Who knows, maybe Feig loved Peter Jackson's Braindead.
By Razorgeist
Braindead reference for the win!

I definetly love the look of the new packs. Im not quite sold on the new trap just yet but Im sure it'll grow on me. I do like the multitude of new gadgets and equipment this movie is giving us.
Not a fan of the idea myself, but we'll see how it's implemented in GB2016 before I throw a nerd fit about it.
Me neither Im of the opinion though that they may disrupt more violent entities and contain the dispersed PKE. Kinda like what the RGB's did to the Ghost general in "Masquerade".
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
We've all seen how many ghosts are in the Times Square scenes. Tons. There's no way they have enough traps built to capture them all. Either they didn't have the money yet to build a ton of traps or Holtzmann didn't consider a Megatrap yet. Tech like the Proton Grenades and Ghost Chipper helps alleviate that shortage even if it's a temporary solution. To get to the Mercado they have to clear the way, not trap every ghost, imo.
By Sav C
For some reason I can't get over how dynamic that shot of the trap sliding out was. The editing was cool too, with the pedal thing flying off the back, and landing at one of their feet. Real groovy stuff.
Kingpin liked this
By SpaceBallz
Sav C wrote:For some reason I can't get over how dynamic that shot of the trap sliding out was. The editing was cool too, with the pedal thing flying off the back, and landing at one of their feet. Real groovy stuff.
It also looked like a complicated setup, why use wireless technology just to have it spit out the pedal instead of opening the trap with the remote?
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
SpaceBallz wrote:It also looked like a complicated setup, why use wireless technology just to have it spit out the pedal instead of opening the trap with the remote?
Beats me. Probably just to look cool :)
By J10kmn
I think the whole destruction thing is very much a situation where they need to get past these ghosts as fast as possible to reach the big baddie.
This Post Contains Spoilers
I don't expect there to be much explanation in the film but who knows. If it does do well enough for a sequel then maybe the paranormal issue then could be the fallout from all this dispersed ecto energy.

I like the way the new trap looks and appears to function. But I do agree the wireless pedal ejector seems a bit cumbersome.
By Lee FW
SpaceBallz wrote:
Sav C wrote:For some reason I can't get over how dynamic that shot of the trap sliding out was. The editing was cool too, with the pedal thing flying off the back, and landing at one of their feet. Real groovy stuff.
It also looked like a complicated setup, why use wireless technology just to have it spit out the pedal instead of opening the trap with the remote?
I thought the same initially but thinking in their world logic I kinda see it like a security method so you'd need the two for it to work.

Putting my film art dept hat on I'm guessing they designed it this way so they don't have too many dangly cables getting in the way of the action while still allowing for the classic imagery of the foot pedal....plus it just looks cool!
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By pyhasanon
SpaceBallz wrote:
I wondered the same... LOL
SpaceBallz liked this
By Demon Vice Commander
SpaceBallz wrote: It also looked like a complicated setup, why use wireless technology just to have it spit out the pedal instead of opening the trap with the remote?
I was wondering that as well. It's also unclear whether or not the trap has wheels of any kind or if it just "slides" into position.
Lee FW wrote: ...I'm guessing they designed it this way so they don't have too many dangly cables getting in the way of the action while still allowing for the classic imagery of the foot pedal....plus it just looks cool!
Dangling cables are part of the GB aesthetic, though. ;)
Lee FW, Sav C, SpaceBallz liked this
By Lee FW
Demon Vice Commander wrote: Dangling cables are part of the GB aesthetic, though. ;)
You're not wrong, but most of us aren't doing proton cartwheels with our gear....or at least not sober anyway!
By Sav C
Wires really bother me in film, like telephone wires, but cables on the other hand I kinda like, as long as there aren't too many. Either way I seriously like both the first trap and the new trap a lot, first one is still quite a bit better though :)
By BatDan
Kingpin wrote:
Look cool, provide a different bit of memorable technology, maybe even give us a sight gag.

Who knows, maybe Feig loved Peter Jackson's Braindead.
That would be giving Fieg too much credit of movie knowledge.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]