Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
This jumped out at me right away:
"The idea of seeing four hilarious women in those roles, there’s a lot you can do there. But then it was like, it could be a sequel then. They could be their daughters? And I was like, I don’t know. I didn’t like the idea of a world that had seen two ghost attacks."
Feig was basically having the same concern some fans have when they talk about Ghostbusters II. Is it weird that they're starting over when the public has already been through a ghost attack? So basically, he avoided making it a sequel due to the same nitpicking many fans indulge in, hehe. ;)
Alphagaia, lozbloke, Sav C and 2 others liked this
montclaire wrote:I don't buy it. Where was this reverence all along? Hail Mary pass in the 4th quarter.
To be fair, I remember him saying this from the start. He's said, pretty much from the jump, that he didn't like the idea of a world where ghosts already exist. Not saying I agree with him, but he has been saying that all along.
Alphagaia liked this
Um, he mentioned that "reverence" long before the script was even written... he said he had difficulty writing a story about New York after two paranormal attacks already taking place...
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
pyhasanon wrote:Um, he mentioned that "reverence" long before the script was even written... he said he had difficulty writing a story about New York after two paranormal attacks already taking place...
This is absolutely accurate. This is no Hail Mary pass. You just had to pay attention.
There were two particular reasons he wanted to do a reboot:
(1) As mentioned above, he had difficulties following up a storyline after two immense paranormal attacks
(2) He wanted to ensure that, if his movie did indeed fail, it would not taint the original continuity

You can take that many ways, but some have interpreted those as (1) him not having originality or familiarity with the IDW series, and/or (2) that he didn't have confidence in his project... Personally, while I once did fit into that first group, I think his reasons are rather understandable, respectable and reasonable... Take them as you will...
Alphagaia liked this
If he can't wrap his head around the idea that the world went under previous ghost attacks, why did Sony headline him to start a franchise expanded universe? Isn't one ghost attack enough then?
I was thinking that too. He cut his legs.
Working on a sequel by Reitman and Aykroyd side....he would have made fans happy and if the movie bombed, it was with the franchise originators blessing.

They wrote Ghostbusters Alive Again in wich Ray and Egon are dead and their ghosts interact with Ray`s son. It was their idea, I'm fine with it. They can make what they want with their baby.
Raystantz Italy wrote: They wrote Ghostbusters Alive Again in wich Ray and Egon are dead and their ghosts interact with Ray`s son. It was their idea, I'm fine with it. They can make what they want with their baby.
Source?
Raystantz Italy wrote:I was thinking that too. He cut his legs.
Working on a sequel by Reitman and Aykroyd side....he would have made fans happy and if the movie bombed, it was with the franchise originators blessing.
They still have the franchise originator's blessing:
SpaceBallz wrote:If he can't wrap his head around the idea that the world went under previous ghost attacks, why did Sony headline him to start a franchise expanded universe? Isn't one ghost attack enough then?
Getting this one of the ground was way more important then worrying about a sequel, but I do remember him taking it into account the government wanting to hide the ghosts.

It kinda depends how they tackle the ghost attack and how good the government is in hiding these.
I have to see the movie or read the books before I can answer if they are able to conceal the big finale, and if they will.

I agree it could create the same problem for a sequel, but it does solve the problem Feig had for this reboot. He still gets to set it in our world instead of a world that's been preparing for the next big bad ID4 style.
d_osborn wrote:
Raystantz Italy wrote: They wrote Ghostbusters Alive Again in wich Ray and Egon are dead and their ghosts interact with Ray`s son. It was their idea, I'm fine with it. They can make what they want with their baby.
Source?
Raystantz Italy wrote:I was thinking that too. He cut his legs.
They still have the franchise originator's blessing:
http://ghostbustersiii.blogspot.it/2015 ... s.html?m=1
I liked the idea that Ghostbusters became a corporation nationwide franchise, it worked within a world where there have been multiple ghost attacks and also kept some of the original characters. Ghostbusters has always started off as a business first, the "Ghostbusters Inc." outline still plays on the original idea. I didn't love what he did with the plot and character choices.
That was the point. All of the franchises now were defunct, because they had all gone out of business when they ran out of ghosts to bust regularly. So people at large knew that ghosts were real, but that was 20 years ago, so when the paranormal starts to rise again the Ghostbusters aren't there anymore to answer the call.

Which brings us to building the new team, etc. etc. etc.

In the Landis script he had Winston moving on from the GBs to become a ceo-tech mogul. During ACT III of the script when all hell breaks loose in New York he put out an emergency call to all the defunct franchises and they show up to help the city while the main-cast GBs went to fight the big-bad.

It was going to be one of those moments like in Anchorman where you see cameos from anyone and everyone showing up as different franchises from different parts of the country each with their own vehicle/equipment/etc.
Feig got way too hung up on whether or not the world accepted the existence of ghosts.

The Gozer and Vigo events happened in the 80s. There weren't a thousand different people recording on their phones. There wasn't even 24 hour news on multiple channels. Sure, there were TV cameras there, but it's easier for people to believe something is a hoax rather than change their deeply-held beliefs. TV stations routinely recorded over previous broadcasts to save on costs of tape, so recorded accounts of the events might not even exist in the present day. Plus, a good portion of the world thought the Ghostbusters were hoaxers anyway, and eye-witness accounts would be dismissed as hallucinations and mass hysteria. The passage of 20-30 years with no further credible documented supernatural activity would only make people doubt what happened more, not less. The Ghostbusters' slogan was "We're Ready to Believe You," which indicates to me that in-universe, people who claim to see ghosts are often met with disbelief, much like in reality. So, if it were me, that's the route I would have followed with a new movie, as well.

That being said, it's a fictional story, Paul. You can write whatever explanation you want. Or, heck, no explanation at all! The originals never hung a lampshade on the outlandish, it was always played straight. This is part of the reason why Feig struck me as "not getting it" when it came to Ghostbusters.
kevinj319 wrote: That being said, it's a fictional story, Paul. You can write whatever explanation you want. Or, heck, no explanation at all! The originals never hung a lampshade on the outlandish, it was always played straight.
Like I said, ironically I often find myself having to expect such things to fans. And then even more ironically, Feig is attacked by said fans for doing just what they do all the time. I kinda hope that's a lesson for the worst of the nitpickers. ;)
If ghosts would exist, it would be the equivalent of aliens existing. If ghosts (or aliens for that matter) trash a city twice (3 times if you count the videogame) while media covers it and even has the guys going to talk shows and getting keys to the cities, I really don't think people forget that.

Also, don't forget it was not the sole reason Feig did not want to do a continuation. He did not want to make a bad sequel, but rather do his own thing to keep the old movies safe, he knew Bill would not do a sequel and Ramis died and Feig wanted the equipment to be unknown so he could have it evolve, etc. Like he said in the interview, it was a lot of reasons.
Alphagaia wrote:If ghosts would exist, it would be the equivalent of aliens existing. If ghosts (or aliens for that matter) trash a city twice (3 times if you count the videogame) while media covers it and even has the guys going to talk shows and getting keys to the cities, I really don't think people forget that.
Unless you introduce a substance that enhances people's tendencies toward jadedness and pessimism. ;)
There are other ways to remove the Ghostbusters from the mainstream rather than people just forgetting they exist. If the paranormal had died down to practically nothing in the last decade then there would be no need for the Ghostbusters anymore. Look at Bladerunners or the Pan Pacific Defense Corps and their Jaegers.

Each were big deals in their hayday, but the Bladerunners became obsolete when the androids weren't a huge threat anymore and the PPDC became ineffective and disgraced when they started losing the fight against the Kaiju.

Wow this looks amazing! I really enjoyed reading […]

@gpstar, Thanks for all this info. I’m wor[…]

Honestly, I don’t think there is damage from[…]

Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg