Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Assoonasitis
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Assoonasitis wrote:I'd like to go on-record as stating that I've probably seen the original more times than anybody here
I was with you until this. lol...
I've watched it, on average, twice a day every day for the past two years alone. IT IS A SICKNESS.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Roughly? Around 35 times (please don't forget I only saw it for the first time ten years ago.) Ghostbusters II roughly 30. Five and two times this year.

It's harder to get my siblings to watch the second one, even though they both love it, and my brother says it is slightly funnier than the first.
By timeware
Just saw the film. That being said here's my review . Needless to say there are spoilers in this post.

Until I see a better quality version of Ghostbusters Answer the call which I still believe sounds like a bad musical, consider this a half review.

the low quality of the film I viewed didn't give me a good look at the special effects but so far I have to say they are on par with the 2009 video game.

There were so many nods to the cartoon series it felt like I was watching an episode of Real Ghostbusters. I can probably list a few episodes off the top of my head that inspired Kaite Dippold as she wrote the script. It would not surprise me if Katie had some of those episode scripts for reference.

The Real Ghostbusters Don't open Until Doomsday, People Busters, Revenge of Murray the Mantis...I might be missing a few. The animated logo that rowan takes form with was a nice nod to the Going to Commercial breaks with the GB logo jumping out of the stop sign.

The song written by Fall out Boy. Why, why, Why!? It was awful, it was mediocre it didn't serve the scene well. I would have preferred the theme song to Extreme Ghostbusters. It would have suited the movie a lot better.

This film had a lot of wasted potential and could have used some more script polish.

Now, lets get to the characters:

Kevin was an idiot. I like Chris Hemsworth, but really what was the point of having him in the film? Mc Carthy was alright. I would have preffered her to be a bit more snarky like Peter.

What bothered me about Kevin was I felt I was watching Paul Feig from one of his interviews as he was on screen. Either he Mary Sued himself into the movie, or Katie had written him in there on her own. the dance scene at the end of the credits scene should have been put into the film.

I don't think Sony wanted a repeat of Spiderman 3 and that is why it was cut. Maybe the optics of making the military look helpless rubbed some people the wrong way? I didn't have an issue with it after I saw the scene.

The trailers don't do Leslie Jones a good service. I felt the trailers had portrayed her as an angry black woman. She did make me laugh for a few scenes. The mosh pit could have done without the woman or race thing line though. I liked her character and want to see more of Patty.

Wiig, I liked her character. I would actually like to see more of her and Patty. if they do a sequel lets see less of the other three. Personally Kevin couldn't phone his way out of a paper bag much less run a franchise. Still could have done without the licking of the guns.

I liked what I saw of the Proton Packs. The stream wrangling almost looked like they were crossing the beams quite a bit. The first proton pack test was a good scene it got a few chuckles from me. I could have done without the shredder, and the new trap design. Bill hit it on the head when he called it a thermos. As for the Ghost Grenade they used so many references from the cartoon why not 3D print the Ghost Bomb from the boogey man episodes?

Did not like the new Ecto. Really, your a group of ghost Exterminators that have installed a nuclear bomb on the roof and you don't install a ghost barrier inside the company car that would prevent ghosts from taking it on a joy ride? While I found the scene with Slimer driving around pretty damn funny where the heck did he have time to pick up on chicks?

The scene that really could have been cut from the movie was the dean firing the girls. the middle fingers were to long, and very inappropriate if you are planning on taking kids younger then five to this film they will imitate that.

To sum things up I would have to give it a rating of 3 out of 5. The marketing was crap, the sexism stuff didn't do this film any good. I felt the script was rushed together. I would have given this film an actual 4 if they had included any of the original equipment. Ernie making his cameo at the end of the film was a wasted opportunity to include an unmodified 1959 caddillac. You have him pull up in the exact same hearse Patty brought them? Seriously?

I will buy the DVD once it's on sale in order to give a more In depth review. so far this is a film I will probably just watch one more time and be done with it. there was missed potential here. Besides feeling cartoony it was like watching a Scy Fy film with a decent budget.
Alphagaia liked this
By Kingpin
timeware wrote:Ernie making his cameo at the end of the film was a wasted opportunity to include an unmodified 1959 caddillac. You have him pull up in the exact same hearse Patty brought them? Seriously?
Because they bought multiples of that make and model to form that funeral company's fleet? I'm not understanding why that's an issue.

I think driving a 1959 Cadillac on at any moment in the film (either at the end, or to the be the new Ecto-1) would've been rightfully decried as a bit of fan service too far.
MonaLS, Sav C liked this
By MagicPrime
Kingpin wrote:
timeware wrote:Ernie making his cameo at the end of the film was a wasted opportunity to include an unmodified 1959 caddillac. You have him pull up in the exact same hearse Patty brought them? Seriously?
Because they bought multiples of that make and model to form that funeral company's fleet? I'm not understanding why that's an issue.

I think driving a 1959 Cadillac on at any moment in the film (either at the end, or to the be the new Ecto-1) would've been rightfully decried as a bit of fan service too far.
That seems kind of an arbitrary place to draw the line. None of the other billboards, lines or cameos is 'too far' but a 1959 Cadillac is?
By JurorNo.2
I actually had a similar thought, that it was a bit anti climatic to see the same car again. I mean you had the girls moving into the fire house, shouldn't they get the old car as well? But it didn't mess up Hudson's cameo for me.
By Kingpin
I think the rest of the stuff can be given a free pass because it doesn't take you too much out of the movie. Bringing back a 1959 Cadillac to be their company car on the other hand would take me a little out of the movie because a 57 year old classic car isn't going to have quite the same life and flexibility in it as it did when it was 25 (I know I certainly don't have the same vitality I did when I was 25 :P)

Given some of the stunts and usage the current car went through, I'm glad they went with a younger model - let's not forget those scenes in the '84 film where the shots were sped up because the original Ecto-1 was either too slow or too unwieldy to go as fast as they wanted it to.

I could maybe understand yours and Juror's disappointment if that scene was supposed to be establishing their replacement car, but it obviously wasn't.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Kingpin wrote:I could maybe understand yours and Juror's disappointment if that scene was supposed to be establishing their replacement car, but it obviously wasn't.
And it's not like I was incredibly disappointed. It was just a thought I had while the scene was going on. And yeah, they'd made a bigger deal about establishing their headquarters, therefore that's what gets resolved at the end.
By timeware
Kingpin wrote:I think the rest of the stuff can be given a free pass because it doesn't take you too much out of the movie. Bringing back a 1959 Cadillac to be their company car on the other hand would take me a little out of the movie because a 57 year old classic car isn't going to have quite the same life and flexibility in it as it did when it was 25 (I know I certainly don't have the same vitality I did when I was 25 :P)

Given some of the stunts and usage the current car went through, I'm glad they went with a younger model - let's not forget those scenes in the '84 film where the shots were sped up because the original Ecto-1 was either too slow or too unwieldy to go as fast as they wanted it to.

I could maybe understand yours and Juror's disappointment if that scene was supposed to be establishing their replacement car, but it obviously wasn't.
You do know that you can drop in a new engine on classic and older model cars right? They didn't have to put the car through stunts or even use. Just having an unmodified original Ecto would have been nice fan service. How many other ghost movie related reference did they have in the movie already?

We had a missed opportunity with Ghost Jumpers. They could have easily put in Ghostsmashers as a comic reference. Heck Sony did that with the theater in the Lego Dimensions level. It's in nice big black font so you cant miss it.

Then it made me think Feig wanted to take credit for the idea of female Ghostbusters and that's why they didn't have it in there.
By MagicPrime
I don't think it needed to be their new car. I just think with all the other cameos having Hudson driving a 59 Cadillac Hearse would have been a neat moment and not as forced as some of the other ones that actually were in the movie.
By pferreira1983
Hi guys, just got back from holiday. Was trying to put at the back of my mind the erm...interesting criticisms of my review. I actually read about the whole Leslie Jones leak while on holiday. As I've mentioned elsewhere here the nude pics are really her fault although the ID and passport hack is terrible, hope they catch the guy. So I've come back to this board and let's see what's going on...continued talk of Bill Murray's cameo, three threads locked, the new Real Ghostbusters DVD sets are pretty bad, er what else...while I'm on holiday Alpha of course is trying to get me banned because I didn't pay to see the film in the cinema six times like he did. Yep not much has changed. :lol:
devilmanozzy wrote: Exactly. Been reading the same BS for over a year. If you watched the bootleg, you have not seen the movie, making your review just the same old hate without reason. Most of your gripes were lifted from posts before the film was even out. The film when actually seen as an average film, rates like 7.5 out of 10 or so. Like rotten tomatoes 73%. Once more this is getting old. The film is fine and did everything it could to pass basic tests. Fanboys got their easter eggs/cameos and the film develops four new Ghostbusters for a new generation. That is really what it is.
Again I saw the same movie everyone who went to the cinema saw. I saw all the bad jokes and bad visual effects.
Alphagaia wrote:I don't think people have problems with a negative review.

They do have problems if you state false reasons as blunt fact, rendering your input useless.
Alphagaia wrote:I don't care if you like or hate the movie, but if people admit openly to have watched a bootlegged version of GB it should be a banworthy offence or least a hefty warning with the offence edited out if you ask me.
My review is immediately inferior to you because I didn't see it in the cinema. There are no false statements in my review, only ones you've made up. Coming across like you're forcing people to like the new movie doesn't really help either.
MagicPrime wrote:
But how does that effect whether or not we thought the movie was funny?
Exactly! Well said!
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Just because I responded to your review doesn't mean I was against it or something. It's a discussion board. We were just trying to continue a debate. Oh well, anyway, have a good vacation!
I did thanks. I understand it's a discussion board. I was just a little shocked to see my review picked apart so much. In no way would I be able to respond to all that. Ha, ha! :-o
Jangonate wrote:
I don't know why some of these reviews are upsetting. Someone who hated the idea of the movie since the beginning gave the film a 'fair chance' by watching a bootleg because he didn't want to waste money on the film. Guess what? He didn't like it. Are we surprised? Nope.
Thanks. I did try to enjoy it. I did laugh a couple of times. My review points to the fact if the reboot movie had been released as a spin-off it would have been "ok". However, I feel as a way to bring back a returning franchise it was a bad move. Definitely a case of the studio should of listening to what fans wanted.

I stand by my review 100%. Just because I saw a bootleg doesn't make my review inferior in any way. I gave the film a chance. Apologies again if I didn't see it in the cinema. I simply ran out of time and money (I'm unemployed right now) and didn't want to waste money seeing a film that seemed dodgy to begin with. If my review seems harsh firstly it comes from a fan perspective and secondly I like to write reviews of films and TV shows so I'm a little jaded over time. It's my review at the end of the day, I make no explanations or apologies for it's content apart from maybe making clear at the end that the film wouldn't have been a total loss had the studio just released a proper sequel first.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Zharthaddeus
In terms of the 59' Cadillac towards the end, I was looking
at Ernie more so than the car. I was happy to see him.
That dude holds his age pretty well.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, Sav C and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Zharthaddeus wrote:In terms of the 59' Cadillac towards the end, I was looking
Yeah, I think Hudson is the only one still able to look good while wearing a GB costume, without having OLD written all over him. I hope he either joins the team or gets his own small story in a future GB84 episode/movie.
MonaLS liked this
By Zharthaddeus
I so agree!
By Sav C
My '59 Cadillac:
https://vimeo.com/177654792
The shutter speed needs to be faster, and there needs to be more light (which would improve the saturation.) Also the lights have to be lower to help prevent the green screen reflecting on the car's body.
It hard to believe he's seventy, he doesn't look a day over fifty!
By Zharthaddeus
Ernie's mind is so sharp. It's hard to believe his age.
Sav C liked this
By Razorgeist
Here here!
By MonaLS
He sure does. I'd love to see more of him in the next movie - if the backlash against this movie hasn't poisoned the well forever.

I've watched so many of the movies and TV shows I grew up with turned into utter crap movies or rebooted TV series and none of them faced the condemnation that this movie did.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
MonaLS wrote:I've watched so many of the movies and TV shows I grew up with turned into utter crap movies or rebooted TV series and none of them faced the condemnation that this movie did.
Because the Internet has finally reached its zenith of toxicity and bandwagon bullying. It's not the Wild West anymore, it's Lord of the Flies, lol. A few years ago I would have railed against regulation. But at this point, I'm embarrassed to defend the Internet in any capacity.

I went to the Star Trek convention in NYC yesterday. A lot of the panels discussed how we need to relearn the art of disagreeing. Especially when it comes to relatively trivial things like movies.

Anyway, back to the reviews. : )
Kingpin, Razorgeist liked this
By Sav C
Zharthaddeus wrote:Ernie's mind is so sharp. It's hard to believe his age.
Agreed. He a big draw for me when it comes to picking movies. For instance, I probably wasn't going to watch Miss Congeniality, but when I saw his name in the cast that sold me on seeing it. It's a pretty good and funny film, and he's got a good role in it :)

Edit: Just so you don't get the wrong impression, Sandra Bullock would've been a big enough draw, but at the time I had only seen her in Gravity. Since then I've gone back and watched several of her other films.
MonaLS liked this
By Kingpin
featofstrength wrote: but not as manly a cast as the original.
Eh, "dudebros" who ooze testosterone and masculinity are grossly overrated.
By timeware
I'm actually looking forward to this one. The trailers served it better then GB2016 had.

It looks tons better then Adam Sandlers ridiculous 6. Although Ridiculous 6 was much better then Do Over. Im crossing my fingers that Happy Madison can actually produce a serious movie out of the four picture deal they signed with Netflix. Something like Wedding Singer or Waterboy. I'd love to see a sequel to Happy Gilmore.

Would it surprise anyone if Ghostcorps would go down this road moving forward? Starting a series like Daredevil exclusive to Netflix or Hulu?
By featofstrength
Kingpin wrote:
featofstrength wrote: but not as manly a cast as the original.
Eh, "dudebros" who ooze testosterone and masculinity are grossly overrated.
"But its got Chris Pratt! I like Chris Pratt!"
:cool:
By featofstrength
I would have put this in a "box office" thread, but those got locked some time back. 7:23 mark -

HIGHEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME!!!
(about female Ghostbusters)
By JurorNo.2
OK, finally got to show GB16 to my parents last night. I'll just include some highlights here:

Interestingly, my Dad was the most enthusiastic overall, laughing out loud at:

*The tour guide revealing the candle was a prop
*Bill Murray's garbage truck line
*Abby's "You left the keys in the car?!"
*The Mayor from Jaws bit
*When New York goes all '70s, he liked seeing the news ticker that mentions the Enterprise shuttle (we're both big Trekkies, lol). He also laughed at seeing Woolworth's and Bond's.

And he seemed cool with the idea that the movie takes place in a different universe from the original:

Mom: I don't understand, why do they need to invent the equipment when the "Boy Ghostbusters" already did?
Me: Well it takes place in a different universe.
Mom: But then why do they have the same logo?
Dad: Come on, it's an in-joke!

Additional notes:

My parents suggested Bill Murray was trying to challenge the author Tom Wolfe, who is known for wearing that type of white suit, hat, and walking cane.

At one point, Mom and I had this exchange:

Mom: Wait, didn't the original have the Pillsbury Dough Boy at the end?
Me: Um...yes. But he's not really in this one much.
(After Stay Puft's brief appearance)
Mom: See I told you, it's the Pillsbury Dough Boy! :mrgreen:

Dad's a big wilderness guy and loves movies like Congo, so he knew Hudson more for that than Ghostbusters. At one point I said Winston and he went, "Who?" Lol.

Mom laughed at Abby and Patty's soup and salad bit. I remember because I had previously wondered if that bit worked or not.

Interestingly, they both said the movie had too much action and horror and not enough humor. I told them a lot of fans said the opposite, that every single line was a joke and there was no break from it. They didn't see it that way at all, I think because they aren't up on that modern humor where everything is super awkward. That's not what they think of when they think of "making jokes."

They did understand why male fans might be annoyed that Kevin was so dumb and the villain was a nerd. But by the end of the movie (when the NYC buildings all said I Heart GB's), they agreed, "This movie didn't deserve the negative reaction it got."
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on October 16th, 2016, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia, Sav C, MonaLS liked this
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:Interestingly, they both said the movie had too much action and horror and not enough humor. I told them a lot of fans said the opposite, that every single line was a joke and there was no break from it. They didn't see it that way at all, I think because they aren't up on that modern humor where everything is super awkward. That not what they think of when they think of "making jokes."
I was happy with the humor aspect, but agree on the action part. There wasn't necessarily too much action, but the way it was edited was somewhat jarring and hard for me to process (minor though.) It felt like they were going along at a great pace, and then the action would happen and all of a sudden they would rapidly cut between several shots, it was distracting to be honest. I would've liked it more if they picked one shot and ran with it.

One thing I was very happy about though was that there was no shaky cam (well one shot had it, but there was one shaky shot in the first one too,) a great trade off for the rapid editing. Fast editing is much better than shaky cam in my mind.
Last edited by Sav C on October 22nd, 2016, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
I really hate the use of shaky cam as in certain circumstances I will get motion sickness. The Bourne Movies are mostly like that for me.

For some they will call it artistic and add motion to a static scene but to me it looks like you pretending that you are in an earthquake zone.
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]