Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By gamera1968
I agree. Was never a fan of the "remake" idea since day one. I don't find anything about this movie that says Ghostbusters other than the name itself.
And no, I'm not hating on it b/c of the female cast - I don't like the idea b/c it ignores the original source material and has no respect for the ORIGINAL and ONLY Ghostbusters.
Paul Feig doesn't get it and never will - he has for the most part, tarnished the franchise's good name and it will take a proper movie (if we ever get one) to return it to its former glory.
By JurorNo.2
Reboots come and go, the only thing that's tarnished at the moment is the fandom's reputation.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, GBfan77 and 1 others liked this
By Phasmatum Fractor
Most people do not know that a Ghostbusters fandom exists so, tarnished or not, its reputation is as irrelevant as it ever was. The real question rests with the reputation of the franchise. Is it still bright and shiny enough to attract real talent and investment, or is it so tarnished it's going to go away for a while?

Obviously, I'd prefer real investment and talented individuals working with the property and making movies I'd enjoy. But if the field has to lie fallow for a season, I'm fine with that, too. The disastrous Batman and Robin gave us Nolan's Dark Knight, after all. Destruction is what makes new creation possible. Even Gozer the Destructor's ultimate aim was rectification and reconciliation.
alphabeta001 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Heh, they know it exists now...purely because of the worst Internet scum of the Earth. I stand by what I said.

As for the reputation of the franchise, it's fine. Ghostbusters is a classic, it always will be. Audiences understand that reboots happen. The sky is not falling. The Internet just has a tendency to believe it is, or it gets bored with itself.
By Scum
JurorNo.2 wrote:Reboots come and go, the only thing that's tarnished at the moment is the fandom's reputation.
Not for nothing, but if what this guy says is true about the movie being a giant "man-bash", it kind of validates A LOT of the hate, and yes, the "misogyny". Now, before I get attacked for that opinion, I stand by something I've stood by for a long time. Equality means equality. When the only way to further your race, sex, or whatever is to tear down the other race / sex, you're being the very thing you hate. The very thing you're fighting against.

All that being said, I'm still going to see it, probably multiple times, in full gear. I know myself and I'm still probably going to like it, not love it, but probably like it.
pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Scum wrote:Not for nothing, but if what this guy says is true about the movie being a giant "man-bash"
It's YouTube. You could sneeze wrong and it would be a giant "man-bash."
it kind of validates A LOT of the hate
Nothing validates the immaturity I've seen. The Internet is barely hanging on a thread of credibility as it is.
Scum, EctoGlow, Some_Guy liked this
By Scum
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Scum wrote:Not for nothing, but if what this guy says is true about the movie being a giant "man-bash"
It's YouTube. You could sneeze wrong and it would be a giant "man-bash."
it kind of validates A LOT of the hate
Nothing validates the immaturity I've seen. The Internet is barely hanging on a thread of credibility as it is.
Maybe validate was the wrong term. I just mean that in retrospect, a year from now, people will look potentially look back and say "what was more sexist? The way basement dwelling neck beards hated on women, or the way the actual movie portrayed all men as being retarded assholes?"
By JurorNo.2
Scum wrote:what was more sexist? The way basement dwelling neck beards hated on women, or the way the actual movie portrayed all men as being retarded assholes?"
Why do we have to choose? :mrgreen:
Scum, Batfly liked this
By Scum
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Scum wrote:what was more sexist? The way basement dwelling neck beards hated on women, or the way the actual movie portrayed all men as being retarded assholes?"
Why do we have to choose? :mrgreen:
So true. The lesser of two evils is STILL EVIL!!!
By Kingpin
EddieSpenser wrote:Good or bad, post them :cool:

*youtube video by WrecklessEating*
He's not a recognisable print publication, nor one of the notable youtube reviewers that a lot of us would be familiar with.
Is he actually notable when it comes to reviews, or is the only reason his video is posted here is because he goes into a 15 minute* explanation/diatribe/rant about why he didn't like the reboot?

Personally, I didn't get the impression that he was a member of a professional outfit given he wasn't bothered about trying to remember Leslie Jones' name, or have some sort of cheat sheet to help him remember.

*The full length of the view was one of a few factors that turned it off for me. I understand that at some points a longer period of time might be needed to go into the grit of things, but then that's no longer so much a review as an essay, or a thesis.

For me, reviews should be reasonable short, succinct and to the point: to give people a quick barometer test to determine if they want to go see a film or not.
Scum, JurorNo.2, Ecto_1X liked this
By TheDreamMaster
I'd like to say, for anyone complaining about "some random guy's review", I've been following Wreckless Eating for a few years now, and I generally respect Matt Zion's opinion on things. He's got me to watch a few movies I wouldn't, and I have disagreed on some. It isn't generally about movie reviews, but they do them from time to time. That said, he's posted a few videos where at some point he talked about the reboot and really wanting to see it, and I can tell, he is upset about this, not just angry.
pferreira1983 liked this
By lozbloke
Im seeing it on Monday in 3D. Happy to give my own opinion on it then (Spoiler Free). At the moment, Im looking forward to it with some optimism.
By JurorNo.2
Fair enough, every Internet critic has his or her moment. It's just that everyone's always upset about something on the Internet, especially YouTube. It's pretty much the default setting.
By JurorNo.2
lozbloke wrote:Im seeing it on Monday in 3D. Happy to give my own opinion on it then (Spoiler Free). At the moment, Im looking forward to it with some optimism.
Awesome, hope you have a good time. Either way, it's a movie, fun time out. I might actually be seeing it tonight as it turns out. I'll try to keep spoilers to myself. :)
By lozbloke
Awesome! Hope you enjoy it (and slightly jealous if you are seeing it tonight!) - if its good then thats great, if its not as good as Im hoping it to be, then its 2 hours of escapism.
Alphagaia liked this
By JurorNo.2
lozbloke wrote: if its good then thats great, if its not as good as Im hoping it to be, then its 2 hours of escapism.
Exactly.
By Kingpin
GBFans is hoping to have a review of the film up within a few days (if not sooner) of the release, including one that will feature spoilers, and one that's spoiler-free.
lozbloke, Alphagaia liked this
By montclaire
Scum wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Reboots come and go, the only thing that's tarnished at the moment is the fandom's reputation.
Not for nothing, but if what this guy says is true about the movie being a giant "man-bash", it kind of validates A LOT of the hate, and yes, the "misogyny". Now, before I get attacked for that opinion, I stand by something I've stood by for a long time. Equality means equality. When the only way to further your race, sex, or whatever is to tear down the other race / sex, you're being the very thing you hate. The very thing you're fighting against.

All that being said, I'm still going to see it, probably multiple times, in full gear. I know myself and I'm still probably going to like it, not love it, but probably like it.
Are you male or female? Because I don't understand why a male would knowingly pay good money and subject themselves to be bashed for "enjoyment."
pferreira1983 liked this
By Alphagaia
Meanwhile, people are having fun while waiting for the release. Let's all relax and enjoy the song!

Last edited by Alphagaia on July 9th, 2016, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
twmedford23 liked this
By Kingpin
montclaire wrote:Because I don't understand why a male would knowingly pay good money and subject themselves to be bashed for "enjoyment."
The posted video review aside, none of us here know just how much or little "male bashing" there is in the film. Because I don't know if that reviewer might be overblowing things, I'm willing to go in myself, pay my money, and form my own opinion (as a matter of personal preference, I rarely pay attention to critics in deciding whether to see a film or not. It's burned me a little in the past, but it's always a game of luck when you go to the cinema).
By TheDreamMaster
I'll never listen to a word Faraci says again after he acted like a giant man-baby against the Jurassic Park fandom when he didn't like Jurassic World. When it got big and made a lot of money, he constantly crapped on it on Twitter for weeks, because no one agreed with his opinion. So, forgive me if I'm already pessimistic over the film, but I will never take his word on anything.
By SpaceBallz
d_osborn wrote:Devin Faraci apparently liked it! I'm a bit surprised as he was bashing the script pretty hard throughout production.

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/751269814220431361
He liked and defended the Fantastic Four reboot too, so I won't waste my energy on his opinion.
JurorNo2. wrote:Reboots come and go, the only thing that's tarnished at the moment is the fandom's reputation.
NO, don't even go there. EVERYBODY had a bad feeling about the creative decisions and direction this film was heading into from when it was announced, and from the sounds of it - rightfully so. Let's take a rundown of the Paul Feig formula checklist:

-Stereotypes
-All men are portrayed as either idiots, assholes, or both
-slap-sticky cartoony characters

And the icing on the cake:
This Post Contains Spoilers
My attitude went from "this is going to be a disaster and I hate it already" to "weary cautious" now back to "Yep, gut feeling told me so." You know what the irony is about all this? Nerdy fanboys and sexism will get the blame when this Tranks.

You guys have a ball at the cinema with this flop, I'll be checking out RT scores and watching the fire from a lawn chair.
EddieSpenser, pferreira1983, neilfro and 3 others liked this
By d_osborn
SpaceBallz wrote:... so I won't waste my energy on his opinion.
You just did. :love:
By SpaceBallz
d_osborn wrote: You just did. :love:
Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]