Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
OK, like I said earlier, I convinced a friend to buy ATC and she finally sat down to watch it. We don't live in the same state, so we watched it at the same time and talked through Skype.

We already went over the creepy factor of the opening scene. She was also pretty unsettled by the subway ghost and Rowan's general nutso vibe.

She was an English major and a teacher so she really enjoyed all the academia allusions (her words hehe) early on. She also wanted to know more about Erin and Abby's back story. I might buy that Ghosts From Our Past book for her birthday now, lol.

She was grateful that there was only one fart type joke.

About Kevin's interview scene: "Really? He's lucky he's pretty."

Patty's really sweet and it was easy to see why Holtzmann was so popular ("She's really awkward but awesome still")

The ghost at the concert reminded her of a banshee or valkyrie

After Bill Murray's cameo "They killed him??"

She was pretty shocked Rowan actually killed himself.

For some reason, she really loved the Ghost Chipper, lol.

The soup and salad line was good

"The power of Patty compels you!" got a "Lol!!!"

Rowan's plan reminded her of Sorcercer's Apprentice, something about energy.

She liked seeing Slimer but Sigourney Weaver was her favorite cameo. ;)

"Um, why are the balloons ghosts?"

Recognized "Mrs Slimer" as an Animal House reference

Loved all of Kevin's lines when he was Rowan

Rowan's final ghost form reminded her of Tim Burton (how could it not?)

When the ghostbusters shoot Rown in the um, you know, she said, "Nice shot, ladies!" Lol

Erin rescuing Abby was a "great moment."

I asked her if we could have President Plant instead, she responded "Please!"

"Upgrade!" when the ladies got the firehouse in the end.

Hemsworth must have had a ball with the dance number

Appreciated the shirtless shots of Hemsworth in the credits, lol

After the movie was over: "I enjoyed it. I want to see it again to have a better assessment of plot...there are some weak points. Over all - it's enjoyable and pretty good!"

The next day, she told me she was thinking of buying the soundtrack. :mrgreen:
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:Wow really, not Star Trek Beyond? (Not that I wanted that to win anything. :walterpeck: )
Star Trek Beyond was the first ST reboot film to actually be good. Not sure what you mean?
Alphagaia wrote:[Yeah, if one thing I've always asked for links and articles so I could read them and to form and understand one's opinion.
But Alpha your mind is set regardless of people here giving you links to articles.
JurorNo.2 wrote:After the movie was over: "I enjoyed it. I want to see it again to have a better assessment of plot...there are some weak points. Over all - it's enjoyable and pretty good!"
Yeah my friend saw the Extended Cut before I did and hated it, the only bit he liked was the bit where the guy wanted to get some ice. The topic of the reboot came up in my local gym and I guy I was introduced to hated the reboot. He had no idea of the politics behind the movie, he just didn't like the feminist push in ATC. Meanwhile you didn't like Star Trek Beyond. Different people like different movies. I felt ST Beyond was a much better movie than ATC, you disagree. You love most of the humour, I find the humour as for the lowest common denominator. Asking for a professor's evaluation of the reboot doesn't convince me it's an underrated masterpiece. The point is people will react differently to whatever movie they see. I personally don't feel ATC was worthy of the Ghostbusters name but some would disagree.
By Alphagaia
pferreira1983 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:[Yeah, if one thing I've always asked for links and articles so I could read them and to form and understand one's opinion.
But Alpha your mind is set regardless of people here giving you links to articles.
Funny, we seem to think the same thing about each other.
It's probably just because we experienced the (lead up to) AtC in the complete opposite way, which meant we butted heads on most topics.
People can bend, but only so much.
pferreira1983 liked this
By devilmanozzy
While I'm pro 2016 Ghostbusters, this review did shine more light on what was the real issues with the film were. I disagree with some of it, but whatever at least he gave a balanced review.
pferreira1983 liked this
By timeware
May have found a new favorite critic. Thanks for posting that review.
If the script had been better, more time and research spent on it ATC could have done well. Still feel the script was a rush job and a copy of RGB. Especially after watching episodes on Netflix.
By JurorNo.2
devilmanozzy wrote:While I'm pro 2016 Ghostbusters, this review did shine more light on what was the real issues with the film were. I disagree with some of it, but whatever at least he gave a balanced review.
Here's the problem. He's attempting to apply too much logic to human reactions. You can try to find logical reasons a movie doesn't do well, and some of them may be valid reasons in themselves. But then how do you explain why movies with equal or worse problems are a success? I stand by what I've always felt, there was and is a prejudice against this movie. Not talking about sexist, just good old fashioned prejudice. Once you make up your mind to hate something, it is very difficult to stop. "Cultural insanity" is the perfect way to describe what went down in 2016. There is no normalizing it.

I agree, this guy did try to be balanced, though I think all he'll accomplish is feeding the haters more. And God knows they already get plenty of nourishment on the cesspool known as YouTube.The overly somber tone was a bit much. It's a movie, people, lol. You know that's why Phelous is one of very few YouTube critics I still watch regularly. He knows not to take himself or his reviews too seriously.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on April 22nd, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By timeware
To use an example of a bad, but successful film take a look at Sharknado. It was made on a 200 thousand dollar budget, has really no box office revenue and has spread out into six different films in the span of a few years. It has a higher rating then 2016 currently on RTC. Some movies just hit that magical people will like it or don't spot and others miss the mark.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/sha ... d=24772098
By JurorNo.2
And sometimes audiences miss the mark. A lot of fans did say they thought the idea of the movie was too cynical, a cash grab. Which would be fine...except they then eagerly ate up every other cash grab in existence, and made excuses as to why it was "totally different." They used ATC as a scapegoat, so they could still claim to have integrity. That's all that this was about.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on April 22nd, 2017, 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
OK, I admit I didn't watch the video, but must say that I really, really admire how balanced the title of the video is. I mean, that's like tightrope walker balance.
Kingpin liked this
By timeware
JurorNo.2 wrote:And sometimes audiences miss the mark. A lot of fans did say they thought the idea of the movie was too cynical, a cash grab. Which would be fine...except they then eagerly ate up every other cash grab in existence, and made excuses as to why it was "totally different." They used ATC as a scapegoat, so they could still claim to have integrity. That's all that this was about.
We liked the movie but not everyone is going to like the same slice of pizza. I'm not blaming the success of the film on all GB fans. watchmen was a popular super hero franchise and that flopped big time only making about 185 million in the box office. If the regular movie going public (non fans) don't like the product they wont buy tickets.

The controversy and political stuff outside the film is what threw people off of ATC. I honestly believe if Paul was given the green light for BTTF the controversy would have repeated itself.
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote:not everyone is going to like the same slice of pizza.
That's in a normal situation. There was nothing normal about the reaction to this movie.
timeware wrote:May have found a new favorite critic.
Looks like he'll need some defending. Everyone in the comments section is freaking out because he said the movie wasn't disrespectful or feminist. They don't care that he criticized the writing. All they heard is that he ::GASP:: defended ATC, and that they cannot abide even for an instant. There is no compromise with such people. They demand everyone like the same slice of pizza. Comments like those are why my geek card is the shredder, never to return. Geek culture is broken, period.
By Sav C
I bet the people who hate the reboot love Pineapple Pizza. They might even dunk their pizza in milk!

No offence to people who like Pineapple Pizza dunked in milk.

Edit: None of my jokes are landing today! :)
JurorNo.2 liked this
By pferreira1983
timeware wrote:May have found a new favorite critic. Thanks for posting that review.
A really good analysis of the movie, I agree with almost everything he said.
JurorNo.2 wrote:there was and is a prejudice against this movie. Not talking about sexist, just good old fashioned prejudice.
I think you're seeing things that aren't happening. The above review sums up exactly the problem people had with it.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I agree, this guy did try to be balanced, though I think all he'll accomplish is feeding the haters more. And God knows they already get plenty of nourishment on the cesspool known as YouTube.The overly somber tone was a bit much.
He did a fair review. It wouldn't have been a fair review if he just gushed about it like you expected him to. The film doesn't need haters because it's poor on it's own and this review sums it up perfectly.
JurorNo.2 wrote:You know that's why Phelous is one of very few YouTube critics I still watch regularly. He knows not to take himself or his reviews too seriously.
Really I can't understand a word that guy says. I feel like I just be watching him on fast forward.
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:I think you're seeing things that aren't happening.
Lol, yes I entirely dreamed up 2016.
JurorNo.2 wrote:He did a fair review.
Fairness would be if every movie was ridiculously criticized the way ATC has been. And as you can see by the comments in the video, his attempt at fairness fell on deaf ears, because all the "fans" heard was "It wasn't disrespectful or feminist."
It wouldn't have been a fair review if he just gushed about it like you expected him to.
Lololol. 1. I never expect a YouTube video to gush over ATC. That's not the culture of that community (in fact, I hesitate to use the words "culture" or "community" to describe YouTube). 2. If you think what I want is "gushing" then you haven't been listening to these debates we've had at all.
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:Lol, yes I entirely dreamed up 2016.
I didn't mean that. I mean there is no conspiracy to hate the movie you talk of.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Fairness would be if every movie was ridiculously criticized the way ATC has been. And as you can see by the comments in the video, his attempt at fairness fell on deaf ears, because all the "fans" heard was "It wasn't disrespectful or feminist."
You expect him to make up stuff about the fans? I thought it was a well considered analysis of ATC. What was he supposed to say about the movie?
JurorNo.2 wrote:1. I never expect a YouTube video to gush over ATC. That's not the culture of that community (in fact, I hesitate to use the words "culture" or "community" to describe YouTube). 2. If you think what I want is "gushing" then you haven't been listening to these debates we've had at all.
What I know from your discussions is that you're very defensive of ATC. I can totally understand that, the problem is that many who dislike it who attacked by the media for disliking it. What this does it it strengthens people's annoyance over the movie. It soon becomes a battle between people who like the movie and those who dislike it. It gets to a point where once in a blue moon a thoughtful unbiased review like the above pops up and pro-reboot fans can't agree with what this guy has said because they're used to having a go at anyone who says anything bad about the reboot movie.

It's ok to blame the fans for some of what happened but the mainstream media as well as social media played a huge part in taking some fans insecurities and frustration with the reboot, turning it into something else so both sets of fans end up fighting each other.

By the way Juror you mentioned your birthday coming up, when is it? Mine is coming up as well and I'll be the same age as you.
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:I mean there is no conspiracy to hate the movie you talk of.
A big agree to disagree on that one. ;)
You expect him to make up stuff about the fans?
No, you misunderstood me, or I phrased that too awkwardly. I'm saying the fans he is trying to reason with aren't returning the favor. At least not in that comments section, lol. They don't care if he is criticizing the movie, all they heard was "it wasn't disrespectful or feminist" and now they're attacking him.
many who dislike it who attacked by the media for disliking it.
I think that's too simplistic but we've been over and over and over that. ;)
pro-reboot fans can't agree with what this guy has said because they're used to having a go at anyone who says anything bad about the reboot movie.
I saw a lot of fans having a go at people in 2016. Not many of them were pro reboot fans. It sounds like you liked the review because all you heard was him criticizing the movie. If you look at the comments section, all those fans heard was him not criticizing the movie, and that's why they're attacking him. Because for those types of fans, it's a zero sum game: Bash the movie, or you're wrong.
By the way Juror you mentioned your birthday coming up, when is it? Mine is coming up as well and I'll be the same age as you.
Early May. Oh, happy birthday! :)
pferreira1983 liked this
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:I mean there is no conspiracy to hate the movie you talk of.
Did you not see all the various posts and quotes from some of the more outspoken reboot dislikers talking about orchestrating efforts to down-vote the film's trailer?
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2 liked this
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:A big agree to disagree on that one. ;)
:)
JurorNo.2 wrote:They don't care if he is criticizing the movie, all they heard was "it wasn't disrespectful or feminist" and now they're attacking him.
Yeah I noticed that although some of those YT points are valid ones. I even liked a couple of them because they hit the mark. Some of those comments seem to reiterate what the guy in the video said, he even agreed with some of them. Remember I started that thread a while back about whether a Ghostbusters film today could be made in the same style of the original? Any problems with the new movie can be attributed to filmmaking being very different today (in my opinion not for the better).
JurorNo.2 wrote:I saw a lot of fans having a go at people in 2016. Not many of them were pro reboot fans. It sounds like you liked the review because all you heard was him criticizing the movie. If you look at the comments section, all those fans heard was him not criticizing the movie, and that's why they're attacking him. Because for those types of fans, it's a zero sum game: Bash the movie, or you're wrong.
With a title like "Why Ghostbusters flopped" you know it's not going to be a happy video. The best views are those that even if they don't like the movie understand why something works or doesn't in ATC. Views like "because it sucks" aren't valid opinions. I'm in the former. I did watch nearly all the video and I agree with him not just because I dislike the movie but because his points were some of my own points. I do however disagree with him about them not trying to have the original cast in a new movie due to age.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Early May. Oh, happy birthday! :)
Mine is late May. Hope you have a happy birthday! :)
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:Any problems with the new movie can be attributed to filmmaking being very different today (in my opinion not for the better).
I think there are similarities if you* are open to seeing them, rather than assuming everything new is problematic.

*Not you specifically, just in general
With a title like "Why Ghostbusters flopped" you know it's not going to be a happy video.
Geek culture doesn't do happy anymore. I applied for Comic Con again this year, but I seriously have no idea why. I will never consider myself part of that group again.
I do however disagree with him about them not trying to have the original cast in a new movie due to age.
Yeah I think he was wrong about that too actually. They aren't especially physical roles.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Hope you have a happy birthday! :)
Thanks, you too! I was thinking maybe I'd take one of the NYC movie tours, they do some Ghostbusters stops.
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:I think there are similarities if you* are open to seeing them, rather than assuming everything new is problematic.
I guess it's a matter of current day tastes. Perhaps the humour of the original two Ghostbusters films wouldn't be seen as funny today if they did that today?
JurorNo.2 wrote:Geek culture doesn't do happy anymore. I applied for Comic Con again this year, but I seriously have no idea why. I will never consider myself part of that group again.
I have fun at Comic Con, why don't you? Don't you get a thrill from having a photo taken with a celebrity in a shoot? Can't all be bad.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Hope you have a happy birthday! :)
Thanks, you too! I was thinking maybe I'd take one of the NYC movie tours, they do some Ghostbusters stops.[/quote]Make like Rocky V and go for it! :wink:
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:I guess it's a matter of current day tastes.
I don't think tastes change as much as we think they do.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I have fun at Comic Con, why don't you?
Oh I have fun there too. It's just that, after 2016, I am not at all happy with geek culture.
Don't you get a thrill from having a photo taken with a celebrity in a shoot?
I haven't done a photo yet. For some reason that and autograph tables make me all nervous, and yet I can ask Star Trek actors questions in front of thousands of people, lol. Don't ask me why that's different!
Make like Rocky V and go for it! :wink:
:mrgreen:
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:I don't think tastes change as much as we think they do.
I don't know about that. I can't really say I've found a lot of modern day comedies funny compared to ones from the past.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Oh I have fun there too. It's just that, after 2016, I am not at all happy with geek culture.
I got the same thing after 2015 when I found out everybody liked The Force Awakens. Comic Con I would have thought would welcome your tastes in stuff.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I haven't done a photo yet. For some reason that and autograph tables make me all nervous, and yet I can ask Star Trek actors questions in front of thousands of people, lol. Don't ask me why that's different!
Kind of the reverse for me although can't do autographs. I did once tell Terry Farrell during a shoot I thought she was the most attractive person in the whole of Star Trek. It probably wasn't the best time, she seemed shocked by what I said. I'm sure she was ok about it but I misjudged the flirting she was doing with the other guys doing the photo shoot and probably told her something I should have done during an autograph. The Avery Brooks one was crazy as well. Some photo shoots have been better than others. :-|
By featofstrength
Not sure even where to put stuff like this anymore, especially since a Box Office thread was locked...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/08/busi ... tures.html
"“Ghostbusters” did so-so at the box office, collecting $229 million worldwide, in part because online trolls attacked the film for casting women in the lead roles."

Good to see some are still sticking with that narrative... along with Pascal being a "victim" in the Sony email hack and a "trailblazer" for women in film.

Anyway, Spidey is a success...here's looking forward to "Project Glass Ceiling" becoming a reality!
pferreira1983 liked this
By Sav C
I don't know what to think of Pascal. I think her work to improve the balance in Hollywood for women is commendable, however for me the fact that she says racist stuff behind closed doors really makes it hard for me to sympathize with her personal struggles with sexism. It's no excuse for her to be discriminated against, but it makes it hard to sympathize none the less.

I do agree though with her thoughts on the creative process and Hollywood. Movies are an art form, however at the same time they are a product, and in my opinion a healthy dose of commercialism isn't the worst thing. At the same time I think Hollywood lacks the proper balance. Many independent movies are thought provoking and artistic, while Hollywood blockbusters are the opposite. I think if they could meet somewhere in the middle of art and commercialism (like they have in the past), that would be the ideal balance.

It's interesting that she doesn't like phone calls. I used to love getting phone calls, even though only three people ever called me. No one calls me anymore, now they either Skype or don't keep in touch at all. Skype's odd because it's not one on one, and it's not mobile unless it's used on a tablet (and even then it cuts out). I like Skype, but prefer phone calls.
By pferreira1983
Sav C wrote:I don't know what to think of Pascal. I think her work to improve the balance in Hollywood for women is commendable, however for me the fact that she says racist stuff behind closed doors really makes it hard for me to sympathize with her personal struggles with sexism. It's no excuse for her to be discriminated against, but it makes it hard to sympathize none the less.
Since when have racist feminists ever been rational? Yeah it's good she wanted to movie before you've even thought of a plot for the film. She's a loony, that's all there is to say.
featofstrength wrote:Good to see some are still sticking with that narrative... along with Pascal being a "victim" in the Sony email hack and a "trailblazer" for women in film.
The mainstream media is totally out of touch with the actual fans, we knew that already. They also don't want to educate themselves so it's a case of lumping it unfortunately. :-|
By Sav C
I don't believe I called her rational. Don't take this the wrong way, but the only thing that I think you may be misinterpreting about my sentence--and this is a guess--is the word commendable, which just means that her intentions to make Hollywood less discriminatory towards women is respectable. I don't mean to assume that you're getting commendable mixed up with rational, it's just that I'm not sure where you are getting rational from. :)
By pferreira1983
Sav C wrote:I don't believe I called her rational. Don't take this the wrong way, but the only thing that I think you may be misinterpreting about my sentence--and this is a guess--is the word commendable, which just means that her intentions to make Hollywood less discriminatory towards women is respectable. I don't mean to assume that you're getting commendable mixed up with rational, it's just that I'm not sure where you are getting rational from. :)
Oh yeah she saw an existing problem. She just went the wrong way about it.
By JurorNo.2
pferreira1983 wrote:The mainstream media is totally out of touch with the actual fans
The one part of that I'll agree with is the misstep in not making ATC more of a cross over. Apart from that, I'm delighted that the mainstream media is totally out of touch with certain types of fans. Such as the Doctor Who fans who are currently bawling their adolescent eyes out because women. Or the Ghostbusters fans who are still finding reasons to complain. Just because you're an "actual fan" doesn't mean you're infallible. In fact it's meant the exact opposite more and more lately.
Sav C liked this
By EJLambert
I always feel that when someone complains about studios not making movies for the fans, what they mean is that the studio doesn't make movies for them and the small group of people they hangout with.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
JurorNo.2 wrote:Such as the Doctor Who fans who are currently bawling their adolescent eyes out because women. Or the Ghostbusters fans who are still finding reasons to complain. Just because you're an "actual fan" doesn't mean you're infallible. In fact it's meant the exact opposite more and more lately.
Well I've already gone into reasons why being a fan doesn't mean I can't criticise something so I won't repeat myself and I've been congratulated by various people for standing up to these people who adore the left wing feminist, SJW values. I'm not crying over the decision, I'll still watch the show to continue criticising it because as a fan you go through thick and thin with what you like right?
EJLambert wrote:I always feel that when someone complains about studios not making movies for the fans, what they mean is that the studio doesn't make movies for them and the small group of people they hangout with.
So I guess the studios are allowed to mess up and produce crap then like...The Force Awakens?

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]