Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Alphagaia wrote:
In the end, we got a mediocre movie that is filled with funny but also unfunny scenes. Some will enjoy it, some will hate it.
And that's perfectly OK!
It's not worth the constant bickering about ruined childhoods, erasing of old movies, delusional fans that lap up anything ghostbusters, or information spinsters.

Let's stop attacking each other and stop treating this movie as it's the greatest/dumbest thing ever and agree it's something in between. (Though I think most are on this page already here).
Mediocre? Ive been saying that since I saw it, and its been treated as a trigger word! (or maybe just boring, unoriginal?)
Ive shared the same sentiment here, too... there's nothing wrong with loving a mediocre or even a poor movie, just be honest enough to own up to it.

Here...
I will never try and convince anyone that DC Cab is a good movie... it's f**** shit! But damned if I don't like rollin in it from time to time.
Scum, gold333, deadderek and 1 others liked this
MagicPrime wrote:Was Zoolander man bashing because the main female character wasn't as stupid as Hansal and Derek?
If the movie was made in 2016, yes, it would get accused of that, lol. I don't know what's changed in society, but something has.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
featofstrength wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
In the end, we got a mediocre movie that is filled with funny but also unfunny scenes. Some will enjoy it, some will hate it.
And that's perfectly OK!
It's not worth the constant bickering about ruined childhoods, erasing of old movies, delusional fans that lap up anything ghostbusters, or information spinsters.

Let's stop attacking each other and stop treating this movie as it's the greatest/dumbest thing ever and agree it's something in between. (Though I think most are on this page already here).
Mediocre? Ive been saying that since I saw it, and its been treated as a trigger word! (or maybe just boring, unoriginal?)
Ive shared the same sentiment here, too... there's nothing wrong with loving a mediocre or even a poor movie, just be honest enough to own up to it.

Here...
I will never try and convince anyone that DC Cab is a good movie... it's f**** shit! But damned if I don't like rollin in it from time to time.
You continue to make me smile, sir. But, perhaps that's just boring and unoriginal in and of itself?
Merrimon liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
Scum wrote:And Alpha, OK, back on topic!!! Gender EQUALITY (the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.) as opposed to Gender Superiority (the state of being superior.
"an attempt to establish superiority over others")

Based on those two seperate definitions, Where does GB16 land?
Regarding movie: There is to little in the movie that specially picks on a gender to call it superiority.

But could you call it gender equality when you pick 4 females in the lead? If no one has a problem with that and it's not deliberately done. Sure.

But we know Feig deliberately chooses women to give them more work in a job that prefers man.
This creates a two edged sword:
-on one side you could argue he only helps gender equality if he picked a mixed team. This is a visible representation of equality.
-on the other side you could say since man are so preferred in movies (5:1) you could say picking 2 guys and 2 girls does nothing to create more jobs in Hollywood and keeps it in favour of men. This is the (somewhat) invisible representation of equality.

So on one side you show equality and hope others catch on, the other side you actively do something about female equality though it's less apperant to the audience.

So as long as this ratio exist and is not brought back to a more fair number (and without butchering scripts to make it happen) I think you can call this gender equality as it helps in making the numbers more fair.
Have you read my answer on your question, Scum?
I was quite curious about your response.
Scum liked this
Gender superiority is one of the reasons why i've been critical of Feig. I just didn't know the proper label for it. It may not be in the movie and I say may because I haven't seen it yet. I would hate to think that Feig would hire someone more qualified for a job based on his gender preference.

While i've said I applaud him for hiring more women in acting roles there is a such thing as being one sided in your goal to bringing awareness to the issue.

Regarding the mixed team he still could have done this. the men chosen to play Ghostbusters didn't necessarily have to be the lead roles and I think that would have gotten a better response then what we got.
Scum, pferreira1983 liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
Regarding movie: There is to little in the movie that specially picks on a gender to call it superiority.

But could you call it gender equality when you pick 4 females in the lead? If no one has a problem with that and it's not deliberately done. Sure.

But we know Feig deliberately chooses women to give them more work in a job that prefers man.
This creates a two edged sword:
-on one side you could argue he only helps gender equality if he picked a mixed team. This is a visible representation of equality.
-on the other side you could say since man are so preferred in movies (5:1) you could say picking 2 guys and 2 girls does nothing to create more jobs in Hollywood and keeps it in favour of men. This is the (somewhat) invisible representation of equality.

So on one side you show equality and hope others catch on, the other side you actively do something about female equality though it's less apperant to the audience.

So as long as this ratio exist and is not brought back to a more fair number (and without butchering scripts to make it happen) I think you can call this gender equality as it helps in making the numbers more fair.
Have you read my answer on your question, Scum?
I was quite curious about your response.
Must have gotten tangled in the web of lies from troll accounts!

I still think perhaps not even a 2:2 ratio, maybe even a 3:1 ratio (3 female 1 male) Or even a 3:2 ratio? Why not go the extra mile and distance yourself from the original by adding a 5th GB to the mix?

In terms of jobs in Hollywood, let's not forget about all of the behind the scenes positions (a large majority of the people who worked on the new movie were female.) In my opinion, it's not as much about "job equality" as it is "hero/lead character" equality. Which I'm fine with.

For example, I had ZERO problem with Rey in Star Wars, being our new Jedi hero. It seems like Star Wars has found the right way to do it. Finn and Poe aren't buffoons, in any way shape or form. I think TFA does so much more for "equality" than GB16 does, hands down.

Quality over Quantity, I think. The more you throw female leads out there "just for the equality of it" the more people roll their eyes and are "put off" by it. Obviously, it's important and I'm sure these conversations happen behind the scenes all the time now. It's a tough cookie to crumble because your always going to piss someone off.
deadderek liked this
Scum wrote: Finn and Poe aren't buffoons, in any way shape or form.
Because it's not a comedy. GB16 is a comedy and the Ghostbusters are the underdogs being put upon by jerks, as they always have been.
Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Scum wrote: Finn and Poe aren't buffoons, in any way shape or form.
Because it's not a comedy. GB16 is a comedy and the Ghostbusters are the underdogs being put upon by jerks, as they always have been.
True, but there has always been a pretty clear comedic factor in all Star Wars. As a matter of fact, Finn is obviously the comedic relief throughout TFA, but at no point does he come across as an idiot, unlike a certain fella by the name of Kevin... ;-)
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Again, what are the views presented in the movie? I'm not interested in behind the scenes gossip, I'm interested in the final film.
It's all there right from the creation of the movie onwards. Depends if you can see it. Do you see Starship Troopers and relate to the characters or see them as fascist? This depends on the person.
SpaceBallz wrote:
His goals are pretty evident. Just a shame Ghostbusters got caught in the middle and was used as a vehicle to push it.
Well said!
Alphagaia wrote:
I could find 6 girls posting a positive review just as easily if you want me to.

Same for guys for that matter.
I think it's more the mainstream media trying to make out that only men hate the movie that's why finding reviews from women who disliked the movie is important.
Alphagaia wrote:
Bottom line: I think both sexes have their dumb, cowards or chauvanistic moments in thus Movie.
Or Paul Feig and Katie Dippold with the help of Amy Pascal made a messed up universe that makes no sense. That's easier to comprehend. :mrgreen:
timeware wrote:Gender superiority is one of the reasons why i've been critical of Feig. I just didn't know the proper label for it. It may not be in the movie and I say may because I haven't seen it yet. I would hate to think that Feig would hire someone more qualified for a job based on his gender preference.
We know Feig has issues with males. It's just a shame his insecurities targeted Ghostbusters.
Sav C wrote: Sony plants or vegetable plants? :D

Just kidding, you may disagree but I don't think Sony hired any plants.
Yes I agree. I don't think Sony hired vegetable plants. :mrgreen:
Sav C liked this
Must have gotten tangled in the web of lies from troll accounts!

I still think perhaps not even a 2:2 ratio, maybe even a 3:1 ratio (3 female 1 male) Or even a 3:2 ratio? Why not go the extra mile and distance yourself from the original by adding a 5th GB to the mix?
That's the same ratio for Gold 333. He just proved that anyone could become a woman without surgery. Will the wonders of modern marvels never cease to amaze me?
Ron Daniels liked this

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]