Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
I would be interested in them exploring the ramifications of Rowan breaking the barrier. While the vortex got closed, perhaps the barrier wasn't sealed and it suffered damage so now more entities can sneak in through the cracks. Maybe that was the basis of the post credit teaser. Yeah, it's sacrilege to not have a GB movie in New York, but would be interesting to see a big threat pop up in another city like I think the tie-in game did.
Sav C liked this
You guys. There is NO WAY they can explain in a sequel to the reboot that it is set in the same universe as the originals. Cat back in the bag? People forget? Yeah maybe, but not to this extent. The reboot clearly sets up that most people don't believe in ghosts because they are not common place to see. There is NO proof of their existence. I don't care if it's been 30 years. Scientists obsessed with the paranormal would know about the original Ghostbusters. The general public would remember the time the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Statue of Liberty went for a stroll through the city.

The sequel will have to be either a direct sequel again not including the original GB's or some sort of inter-dimensional story line where the guys can come over. That or a spin off to the reboot featuring yet another new team.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
TimTheTerrorDog wrote: The reboot clearly sets up that most people don't believe in ghosts
Well it sets up what the other films set up. People would speak up but don't want to be ridiculed.
Plus let's not forget Jason Reitman's exchange with Aykroyd in GB 2. Basically in the span of 5 years the GB have been come a joke and viewed as frauds. So it's entirely possible that with 25+ years that they easily could be forgotten especially if the government wants to cover up their existence
Sav C, JurorNo.2, Nassik and 1 others liked this
TimTheTerrorDog wrote:You guys. There is NO WAY they can explain in a sequel to the reboot that it is set in the same universe as the originals. Cat back in the bag? People forget? Yeah maybe, but not to this extent. The reboot clearly sets up that most people don't believe in ghosts because they are not common place to see. There is NO proof of their existence. I don't care if it's been 30 years. Scientists obsessed with the paranormal would know about the original Ghostbusters. The general public would remember the time the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Statue of Liberty went for a stroll through the city.

The sequel will have to be either a direct sequel again not including the original GB's or some sort of inter-dimensional story line where the guys can come over. That or a spin off to the reboot featuring yet another new team.

As much as I appreciate the enthusiastic postings of others, there's NO way the general public would "forget" the absolute proof and existence of ghosts and the proof of some sort of confirmation of an after life.

It's wishful thinking. These universes both GB & Reboot crossing would be interesting, but there's just no way they're in the same one.
DarkSpectre wrote:Plus let's not forget Jason Reitman's exchange with Aykroyd in GB 2. Basically in the span of 5 years the GB have been come a joke and viewed as frauds. So it's entirely possible that with 25+ years that they easily could be forgotten especially if the government wants to cover up their existence
True, but even as a kid I was like, "How did they forget about the Marshmallow Man." Young me called bull.
deadderek liked this
Jangonate wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote:Plus let's not forget Jason Reitman's exchange with Aykroyd in GB 2. Basically in the span of 5 years the GB have been come a joke and viewed as frauds. So it's entirely possible that with 25+ years that they easily could be forgotten especially if the government wants to cover up their existence
True, but even as a kid I was like, "How did they forget about the Marshmallow Man." Young me called bull.
They were told it was an hallucination or mass hysteria. No one wanted to claim otherwise. Done.
Sav C liked this
I think it was said (in the mayor's office) that the government actively covered things up in order to prevent mass hysteria. If so, then it's entirely plausible that Stay Puft and such were simply swept under the rug. And after thirty years it's slipped from public memory. Stay Puft didn't really do a lot of damage, after all. And Lady Liberty was back on Ellis Island within a day.
And all the time magazines who did a serious piece about ghosts are destroyed, all the interviews on tape are removed, Larry King is dead probably, and absolutely no one besides the goverment thought it would be smart to study these things further and why a whole city block was covered in marshmallow, thousands of ghosts ran rampant through the city with countless of busts happening because people called to remove these pesky ghosts. Twice.
zeta otaku liked this
Not that any movie would go into that much depth to explain a cover-up. :) I'm not saying that this proposal is realistic, only that it would work in a cinematic universe. And in a movie like Ghostbusters, a stretch of the imagination is something of a requirement.
https://www.rt.com/viral/352378-ivan-re ... exclusive/

RT: So how is it connected? I know there are some cameos from the old cast and whatnot, but how do you... how is that written, the connection between the old films and the new?

IR: I'll let our audience discover that for themselves, but I think like there's an enormous amount of iconography that basically we invented back in the 80s and that find its way into this film and it's really everything that we've loved - the uniforms, the equipment, their headquarters, the trapping and the conceptualization of what is going on.

So I think there's actually a ton of connection and it will be part of my job as head of Ghost Corps to keep doing things that will link all these movies together in a universe that is cohesive and makes sense.
MIB coverup is only way it could be set in the same universe but even then all the iconography of the Ghostbusters becoming theirs becomes a little too coincidental. It'd be a huge stretch to say that the OGB have been guiding them and influencing them into starting up their own GB with all the same imagery and tech. For that to work we'd probably even have to assume the graffiti artist is Oscar too. Also this kinda takes away from it being a reboot in the first place, might as well have just handed them the tech and the name and gone EGB with it.

I think if any connection is to be made in a sequel it should be parallel universe, that way we can get really far out and trippy while staying true to both. Parallel universes and cross dimensional travellers have been part of GB from the start so would love them to be explored further.

To be fair though I'd be happy without too much of a connection being explicitly laid out on screen, I like the loose nature of it where we can connect it if we want to but enjoy it on its own.
ghostJAR, deadderek liked this
Thinking about some more I don't think it's impossible to connect the old with the new. You can even keep it in the same time line.

Go with the angle that the government coverd up the original ghostbusters and the events surrounding them. "How did the government made people forget" They didn't. You have to take into account that the girls did not come up with there company name and the no ghost logo.

Some people believed the government, others just wanted to forget, and few still know who the ghostbusters are but say nothing about it. Well, in tell now.

Patty can have this wierd feeling that a ghost busting business has been done before. "niece of winston"

Holtzman knows about the original busters but, she didn't say anything because no one asked. "It sounds like something her character would do."

Abby and Erin could have been studies of the late Egon Spengle "under a different name of course" it could have been Spengle himself that gave the girls the idea to make a book.
There is huge potential now that they have
This Post Contains Spoilers
It would also be nice to see if maybe a couple of the girls left and did their own thing and hired in a couple of guys to mix it up a bit. Maybe see a new car rather than that POS 84 Caddy that was a joke. I loved the weapons but I hope they expand on the story of where the ghost went when they were
This Post Contains Spoilers
My hope is the movie does enough money that they want to do a sequel, but doesn't do enough money to make them think they got it 'Right' with the first one. Because in my opinion, they did not get it right.

I would like to see a sequel done closer in comedic style/tone as the original. There are some examples of sequels exceeding their predecessors, and I hope that is what we see here.
deadderek liked this
johnlennon wrote:Do you think that there should be a second Ghostbusters in the reboot series? I feel like this film was actually done fairly well. If you also imagine that the original movie had never been made, this would actually be a pretty fairly decent comedy. I liked it and I wouldn't mind seeing more. Whats your opinion?
That's like asking if I want pain for breakfast. I'm going to say I think they should do a reboot... :-D
The film producers need to take a leaf out of the RGB way of doing things. They seem hellbent on making everything link back to Gozer when he/she is just one deity. There's so much more potential in gods and monsters.

So I'm not keen on seeing Zuul again. And I'm tired of seeing Stay Puft everywhere too. He was a very good joke. An iconic joke. Now do other jokes!

I did come up with a good sequel idea. Put it in a different thread. Maybe I should have posted it here. It would retrospectively add a layer to the Paul Feig film which might elevate it in some people's minds.

(I for one like it a lot more than EGB for the record)

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=41832
MagicPrime wrote:My hope is the movie does enough money that they want to do a sequel, but doesn't do enough money to make them think they got it 'Right' with the first one. Because in my opinion, they did not get it right.

I would like to see a sequel done closer in comedic style/tone as the original. There are some examples of sequels exceeding their predecessors, and I hope that is what we see here.
I do think that there is some potential in the universe and would like a sequel with different writers and a different director. I wouldn't mind the same general tone if they fleshed out the characters more and a put in a coherent villainous plot. Rowan was a good idea with bad implementation.
The funny thing is that everyone here who hated the idea of a reboot/remake (as I did when first announced) might get what they want - the original GBs - in a sequel. If all this alternate-universe stuff that's been hinted at actually comes to fruition and they tie the two universes together somehow.

So the people who hated ATC should be pulling for a sequel, even if they don't like the current team, because they might have a better chance of seeing Ray and Winston than if Sony decides to shelve the whole idea and it's a decade or more before another reboot. By then Aykroyd and Hudson might be too old or not interested.
Sav C liked this
OK, So I would like to see a 2nd one, where they scrap Mc Cartney, Jones, and himsworth characters.

New characters, a mousey lab asst. that doesnt seem like much but ends up saving everyones butt at some point, a federal agent that just got transferred to be liaison for the team since it is federally funded, a hispanic lady whos a tough nut like rosa from brooklyn 99 but she doesnt really believe in ghosts. and lastly a smooth talking conman, who keeps the team from being cut off from federal funding and all around smartass. Way more balanced even with 6 members instead of 4.

Gozer sounds like a lovely plot line. And ghost sightings and captures have dwindled locally forcing the team to split up on a international level. IE why half the team is gone. The rift weakness the barrier between the planes allowing for more and stronger ghost sighting to occur around the world. But unknown to everyone a sect of Gozer-ites have been working behind the scenes to harness/steal the local ectoplasmic energies. Creating new lay lines which are focused on their newly built high rise which hides a gate for gozer to pass to our dimension( audience doesn't see and learn of til later). However as the new lay lines are formed sighting of ghosts spike in the area.

So now we need a main antagonist besides gozer. The new buildings architect and finansure. Who is powerful and connected. Trys to get the team shut down when he finds them snooping around where the portals for the gatekeeper and the key master. Which happen to be his buildings(they are also energy focuses/ batterys along the new lay lines.)

This just something I thought off right here and now, it pretty much writes itself. I am sure we can borrow a bit more from the OG film.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

Both would be out of scale (Mattel too small, DST […]

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]