Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
J10kmn wrote: The things said to Leslie Jones are vile
Are you saying they're threats? If not, then they are allowed.

I'm not saying they're lovely words. I'm saying they're free from censorship. And I'm glad they are, so everyone can see what vile people the trolls are.
the first amendment is not meant to protect racism, hate, or threats
You are correct about threats. But we can't police what is hate and what isn't. If a racist can be censored, tomorrow it might be you who is censored.
Its fine for someone to be a racist and state their reasons for it (which is protected by the right to Peaceful Assembly, if you wanna do it in public). But the second that those statements become overly obscene or/and encroach on another American's rights then they fall under "Insulting or Fighting Words" and are not protected by freedom of speech as it has been determined by the Supreme Court via the Fighting Words Doctrine.
J10kmn wrote: But the second that those statements become overly obscene or/and encroach on another American's rights then they fall under "Insulting or Fighting Words" and are not protected by freedom of speech as it has been determined by the Supreme Court via the Fighting Words Doctrine.
The Klan (though it is completely vile) hasn't been shut down and I'm pretty sure they've used plenty of insulting words. The key is, is there immediate danger? In this case, there most likely isn't.

Believe me, the last thing I want to do is defend Internet creeps. Just saying it's Twitter's problem to solve, not the government.
JurorNo.2 wrote:The Klan (though it is completely vile) hasn't been shut down and I'm pretty sure they've used plenty of insulting words. The key is, is there immediate danger? In this case, there most likely isn't.

Believe me, the last thing I want to do is defend Internet creeps. Just saying it's Twitter's problem to solve, not the government.
I wasn't accusing you of defending the trolls (nor do I think you agree with them) and I completely agree with you that Twitter is the one that needs to step in at this point. What I don't agree with is using the First Amendment as a form of deus ex machina; acting as a far reaching umbrella to protect all forms of racism and hatred. If you wanna be racist in a peaceful way, that's clearly protected. If you wanna be racist and attack other people (verbally or physically, both constitute harassment) then it is not. Freedom of speech exists up until the point that you attempt to remove freedoms from other people. Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

Yes, the ideology of the Klan has every right under the First Amendment to exist. They have every right to Peaceful Assembly. That does not mean that they have a legal leg to stand on when they harass people. And you can't just flip a switch and shut down the Klan. Until they're classified as a domestic terrorism group then you can only prosecute the people who you can prove have done anything wrong. The issue with the internet is that there is no accountability for your actions.

I'm a Republican, trust me I don't want the government in my business anymore than is necessary but the internet age has brought up a lot of issues in regards to freedom vs harassment and like it or not eventually the government is going to have to look into what constitutes freedom of speech and is protected by the First Amendment versus what constitutes unlawful harassment while online.
JurorNo.2 liked this
J10kmn wrote:
I wasn't accusing you of defending the trolls
Oh I didn't think you were, I just wanted to make that clear. :)
but the internet age has brought up a lot of issues in regards to freedom vs harassment
I agree it's worth debating at the very least.
Judhudson wrote:It's Twitter. That place is a cesspool for racist people and trolls, especially over the fact that Twitter won't do a darn thing to stop it.

I feel bad for her :(
Agree. It sucks. Its bullying also and I don't approve of that either. Mentally being abused is so much worse that physically to me. :(
J10kmn liked this
This is so sad, I feel terrible for her having to put up with all of that. A news piece I saw earlier taking a jab at Ghostbusters II made me feel horrible, I cannot begin to imagine how she must feel. It's just sad beyond words to think there are people who use race to discriminate.

I really respect her for getting off of twitter. That site is a huge disservice to humanity. It allows hate to breed, ruins our languages, and removes the emotions from our thoughts.
J10kmn liked this
Can I point something out about Twitter? From what I've read, actors are under pressure to have a certain number of active Twitter followers. Apparently casting directors actually use it to determine an actor's popularity ( :roll: ). Unfortunately, this means said actors are having to deal with a lot of creeps online and end up getting blamed for daring to stand up for themselves.

Thankfully, Sony and the media seem to have stood by Jones in this case.
Sav C, J10kmn liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
J10kmn wrote:
I wasn't accusing you of defending the trolls
Oh I didn't think you were, I just wanted to make that clear. :)
but the internet age has brought up a lot of issues in regards to freedom vs harassment
I agree it's worth debating at the very least.
Oh absolutely. Nothing in any of your posts makes its seem like you're advocating anything but freedom of speech specifically, which I agree is super important. Sorry for ranting.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Can I point something out about Twitter? From what I've read, actors are under pressure to have a certain number of active Twitter followers. Apparently casting directors actually use it to determine an actor's popularity ( ). Unfortunately, this means said actors are having to deal with a lot of creeps online and end up getting blamed for daring to stand up for themselves.

Thankfully, Sony and the media seem to have stood by Jones in this case.
Learn something new every day. That's a shitty way (but probably the easiest) to rate someone's popularity.

I love the "just ignore them" mentality that some people who aren't that followed seem to have. I've seen several people with normal seeming twitter accounts (some trolls wear their crazy on their sleeves) who have seen the fake tweets from her and believed them and spread them around.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Dan Aykroyd ‏@dan_aykroyd 1h1 hour ago
@Ghostbusters solid, proven hit. Have started writing Soul Sisters lists the magnificent Leslie Jones as one of three leads.
:mrgreen:
I would TOTALLY watch Soul Sisters starring Leslie Jones.
Travis Burrell wrote:
Judhudson wrote:It's Twitter. That place is a cesspool for racist people and trolls, especially over the fact that Twitter won't do a darn thing to stop it.

I feel bad for her :(
Agree. It sucks. Its bullying also and I don't approve of that either. Mentally being abused is so much worse that physically to me. :(
I hate that she's getting all this hate over a movie that she dared to work on.
JurorNo.2 wrote:....Because he didn't make a movie you wanted?
Which one?

Because the guy who is certain we won't make alien contact on earth after 9/11 is now making some big generalizations and politicizing racism like a stereotypical Hollywood loon?
How incredibly helpful to this situation. Sending love where it is needed is one thing...

I enjoy the vodka, Dan. I really do.
featofstrength wrote: Because the guy who is certain we won't make alien contact on earth after 9/11 is now making some big generalizations and politicizing racism like a stereotypical Hollywood loon?
Don't send cheap shots. A lot of people believe unusual things. And if you aren't one of the people who were harassing Jones, then he's not talking about you. Why get insulted on their behalf. They wouldn't do the same for you, believe me.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote: Because the guy who is certain we won't make alien contact on earth after 9/11 is now making some big generalizations and politicizing racism like a stereotypical Hollywood loon?
Don't send cheap shots. A lot of people believe unusual things. And if you aren't one of the people who were harassing Jones, then he's not talking about you. Why get insulted on their behalf. They wouldn't do the same for you, believe me.
Wasn't intended to be a cheap shot, just meaning I like lovable, regular-looney Dan better.
He's free to wear his politics on his sleeve like anyone else...but I still think it's inappropriate and a lil alienating (no pun intended) in this situation.
featofstrength wrote: I like lovable, regular-looney Dan better.
He's not Ray, you know. Before Ghostbusters, that wasn't really his image. He can be pretty ruthless to people who insult his friends.
but I still think it's inappropriate
And it wouldn't have happened at all if people were able to control themselves over a freakin movie.
and a lil alienating
I didn't harass anyone. Therefore, I don't feel alienated. As for politics, I'm Independent, I'm used to being the outsider no matter who is speaking.
(no pun intended)
Alright, I'll give you that one was cute. : )
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
He's not Ray, you know. Before Ghostbusters, that wasn't really his image. He can be pretty ruthless to people who insult his friends.
Wow...did you read "Live from New York", too? Id like to talk more about it, but I got in trouble myself for being astonished someone in here had no reference to Al Franken...so, shhh!

JurorNo.2 wrote:
and a lil alienating
I didn't harass anyone. Therefore, I don't feel alienated.
I didn't either. Unless people want to outwardly equate what I secretly put in a ballot box as supporting this crap. Dan sure pegged me with those poor-as-dirt, fat, 50-60 year old Aryans...So, Heil Hitler? I guess?

Hey! Henry Gibson wasn't fat!
JurorNo.2 wrote:As for politics, I'm Independent, I'm used to being the outsider no matter who is speaking.
featofstrength wrote:
Wow...did you read "Live from New York", too? Id like to talk more about it, but I got in trouble myself for being astonished someone in here had no reference to Al Franken...so, shhh!
Please, I've read the books on the books. ;)
skankerzero wrote:They banned the guy behind the attacks.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/ ... vfKxlqd0XW
Don't know what else to do but laugh at this article. Milo had nothing to do with the Twitter trolls making the racist comments. He posted an unfavorable review of the movie, including some unkind things about Jones, and she started a Twitter war with him over it.
kevinj319 wrote:

Don't know what else to do but laugh at this article. Milo had nothing to do with the Twitter trolls making the racist comments. He posted an unfavorable review of the movie, including some unkind things about Jones, and she started a Twitter war with him over it.
Maybe he should have realized she's already been targeted enough and didn't need his help. And color me shocked he didn't like the movie. He's as predictable as the people he hates.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Maybe he should have realized she's already been targeted enough and didn't need his help. And color me shocked he didn't like the movie. He's as predictable as the people he hates.
Those are interesting opinions and all, but that doesn't change the fact that he had nothing to do with the Twitter barrage that attacked her.
kevinj319 wrote:

"Forget it, Kevin...it's GBfans."
kevinj319 wrote:
Those are interesting opinions and all, but that doesn't change the fact that he had nothing to do with the Twitter barrage that attacked her.
I wouldn't say nothing. And I wouldn't say I have much sympathy for the guy. He's like Trump, he doesn't debate, he just insults. And he gets people riled up, the type who would go after Jones.

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]