Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Scum wrote: I've been following this whole fiasco on Twitter, she could have a probably should have just stepped away from the whole thing and let the trolls eat themselves. If you notice, a lot of these super stars barely use their twitter accounts, because they know the more you feed the beast, the more the nut balls come out of the woodwork.
Totally agree. It's wrong but she has been fanning the flames for months now. If the actors and director reduce themselves to name calling and foul language, can you really put all of the blame on the trolls? Freedom of speech means you can say what you want, but it also means you have to take what reverberates. Ivan was the only one who handled the vitriol properly. I feel bad for her but she should really just zip it already and let it die out.
pferreira1983 liked this
montclaire wrote:
Scum wrote: I've been following this whole fiasco on Twitter, she could have a probably should have just stepped away from the whole thing and let the trolls eat themselves. If you notice, a lot of these super stars barely use their twitter accounts, because they know the more you feed the beast, the more the nut balls come out of the woodwork.
Totally agree. It's wrong but she has been fanning the flames for months now. If the actors and director reduce themselves to name calling and foul language, can you really put all of the blame on the trolls? Freedom of speech means you can say what you want, but it also means you have to take what reverberates. Ivan was the only one who handled the vitriol properly. I feel bad for her but she should really just zip it already and let it die out.
And especially with her being a stand-up comedian. Those guys and gals have to develop a crazy thick skin to get up on stage and perform. Watch the way guys like Kinneson or Pryor used to deal with hecklers.
JurorNo.2 wrote: I wouldn't say nothing. And I wouldn't say I have much sympathy for the guy. He's like Trump, he doesn't debate, he just insults. And he gets people riled up, the type who would go after Jones.
Right, I get it. You don't agree with his ideology, that means he must be guilty, that's all the proof we need, let's ban him for what other people do... pretty cliche stuff.
montclaire wrote:It's wrong but she has been fanning the flames for months now.
She wouldn't be defending herself if no one was attacking her for months now.
can you really put all of the blame on the trolls?
Yes. Why would I defend trolls? For anything.
Freedom of speech means you can say what you want, but it also means you have to take what reverberates.
Take what reverberates doesn't mean sit quietly and let people harass you.
Freedom of speech means you can say what you want, but it also means you have to take what reverberates.
Lee FW liked this
kevinj319 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote: I wouldn't say nothing. And I wouldn't say I have much sympathy for the guy. He's like Trump, he doesn't debate, he just insults. And he gets people riled up, the type who would go after Jones.
Right, I get it. You don't agree with his ideology, that means he must be guilty, that's all the proof we need, let's ban him for what other people do... pretty cliche stuff.
Um, Did I say that? I was talking about his attitude and methods, not his politics. I'm Independent, both sides are right sometimes.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on July 20th, 2016, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Try taking a look at the forest and not just the trees.
Alphagaia wrote:One account banned VS how many attacks?
Apparently, Twitter has banned a couple of other accounts, but will not release names or how many they banned, but they traced most of them back to Milo, who was apparently the instigator... He has near 400,000 followers who would do his bidding without putting any thought into it, which is quite frightening, if you think about it...
JurorNo.2 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Not as bad as what this fandom will be remembered for.
Speaking of that, what happened to the Star Wars fandom? I headed over to the Force Awakens IMDb message boards yesterday and saw all of these topics and complaints about the film having political messages and stuff like that which from a glance makes it look like the film was less well received than the reboot has been. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sav C wrote:
Speaking of that, what happened to the Star Wars fandom? I headed over to the Force Awakens IMDb message boards yesterday and saw all of these topics and complaints about the film having political messages and stuff like that which from a glance makes it look like the film was less well received than the reboot has been. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yeah this didn't start with the GB reboot. That strain of "fan" has been around a lot lately. They seriously believe a movie is out to destroy their way of life. I suppose it's another example of how polarized people have become.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Yeah this didn't start with the GB reboot. That strain of "fan" has been around a lot lately. They seriously believe a movie is out to destroy their way of life. I suppose it's another example of how polarized people have become.
I find it all extremely weird. Have these people never heard of logic?
JurorNo.2 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: Speaking of that, what happened to the Star Wars fandom? I headed over to the Force Awakens IMDb message boards yesterday and saw all of these topics and complaints about the film having political messages and stuff like that which from a glance makes it look like the film was less well received than the reboot has been. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yeah this didn't start with the GB reboot. That strain of "fan" has been around a lot lately. They seriously believe a movie is out to destroy their way of life. I suppose it's another example of how polarized people have become.
The Star Wars message boards got pretty toxic just before Force Awakens, I spent one day modding a John Boyega thread before it got me down so much that I packed them in and deleted all my accounts so I could enjoy the hype. No Star Wars boards for me ever again.

The difference is with Star Wars however and why I don't think that hate was picked up on as much is the fan base is so large and crosses into the real world so much more with regular people and casual fans (a possible result of it never really having gone away apart from that ten year gap after Return of the Jedi and how much it's permeated itself into popular culture) that the good vibes can outnumber the trolls far more. It's easier for their voices to be drowned out amid all the the excitement and media buzz. Also Disney know how to damage control like a boss!

Ghostbusters however just can't compete, the fan base although big isn't anywhere near as huge and unfortunately the first voices out of the gate to get the media attention were the trolls. Sadly those of us that aren't asshats (and I include both people who love the film and have genuine criticisms) have been struggling trying to put the cat back in the bag ever since and disassociate our selves from them.
ghostJAR, JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
Well you hit on a few of the reasons. Star Wars has a bigger hardcore fanbase who will go the theaters no matter what (the prequels weren't bombs, hehe). And maybe Sony isn't a well oiled machine like Disney. And people in general lately have really committed to choosing up sides in all facets of life, and refusing to trust the other side. I'm going to blame social media some, which people are using as their echo chambers. And the news outlets (and not just Fox) for catering to and reinforcing certain points of view. Our brains aren't taking in anything healthy anymore (Sorry, I majored in media, lol).
Sav C, Lee FW liked this
Sav C wrote:
As a big SW fan too, I noticed it. The problem was you had the trolls like with GB, "There's more prominent womenz in ma Star Werz", but I think it peaked for GB because it was an entirely female led reboot, which of course to said trolls meant they were trying to overwrite the original film with this new one. TFA was still a sequel, a pretty good one to most, so I think all the criticism died down fairly quickly. With GB though, it wasn't GB3, it was starting over and the news made sure to tell everyone it was female led and really strayed away from any of the male characters.
Sav C, JurorNo.2, ghostJAR liked this
Lee FW wrote:The Star Wars message boards got pretty toxic just before Force Awakens, I spent one day modding a John Boyega thread before it got me down so much that I packed them in and deleted all my accounts so I could enjoy the hype. No Star Wars boards for me ever again.

The difference is with Star Wars however and why I don't think that hate was picked up on as much is the fan base is so large and crosses into the real world so much more with regular people and casual fans (a possible result of it never really having gone away apart from that ten year gap after Return of the Jedi and how much it's permeated itself into popular culture) that the good vibes can outnumber the trolls far more. It's easier for their voices to be drowned out amid all the the excitement and media buzz. Also Disney know how to damage control like a boss!

Ghostbusters however just can't compete, the fan base although big isn't anywhere near as huge and unfortunately the first voices out of the gate to get the media attention were the trolls. Sadly those of us that aren't asshats (and I include both people who love the film and have genuine criticisms) have been struggling trying to put the cat back in the bag ever since and disassociate our selves from them.
When I saw what those boards were like I was genuinely shocked. I though there was peace and order in the Star Wars galaxy (pun intended,) but I was wrong!

On the other hand the positive hype for Force Awakens blew me away, including the sheer amount of merchandise. Meanwhile I have hardly seen anything for Ghostbusters (by the way, my theater didn't get either TFA or GB, for Star Wars it was about not being able to sell out 40 screenings or something like that.)

Since it was a sequel instead of a reboot, the fans that were supportive about it were probably were more vocal earlier on. Even though I never said anything against the existence of the new Ghostbusters, because it wasn't GB3 I didn't jump on board saying anything positive until quite a bit after it was announced. Neither an optimistic or pessimistic thought about it until after the trailer, when I started to think it might be good.
Last edited by Sav C on July 20th, 2016, 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ghostJAR liked this
Lee FW wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
The Star Wars message boards got pretty toxic just before Force Awakens, I spent one day modding a John Boyega thread before it got me down so much that I packed them in and deleted all my accounts so I could enjoy the hype. No Star Wars boards for me ever again.

You are absolutely right my friend. There is no winning in this game. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. :walterpeck:
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:And people in general lately have really committed to choosing up sides in all facets of life, and refusing to trust the other side. I'm going to blame social media some, which people are using as their echo chambers. And the news outlets (and not just Fox) for catering to and reinforcing certain points of view. Our brains aren't taking in anything healthy anymore (Sorry, I majored in media, lol).
They're even reinforcing the bashing of Ghostbusters II, check out this post I made the other day (I put it in small to take up less space):
I found the AOL clip I mentioned above that frustrated me so much. You can watch it here if you want: http://on.aol.com/video/ghostbusters-2- ... 71f41fe5f1
Now let me explain why this made me so angry, that way I can move on and stop bothering everyone about it... It starts off stating how much the film made at the box office, and then shows a quote by Rory Bruer stating that there is no doubt in his mind that a sequel will happen. All fine and well. It's clearly not an opinion piece by anything so far stated in the clip, just factual news.

But to end it, they tack on an insult to Ghostbusters II that adds nothing to the piece:
[quote]Whatever comes next, let's all agree the new sequel can't tarnish the already crappy reputation of the original "Ghostbusters 2"
This is a mean dig at what is actually a great film, it adds absolutely nothing noteworthy to the news piece, and is unprofessional. I want to learn facts when I watch the news, I don't want (what are supposed to be) factual pieces telling me that one of my favorite films has a crappy reputation. A professional news agency should not even insinuate that something subjective (like a film) is crappy. It is simply not good reporting practice, and should be unacceptable by professional news agency standards.

I hope you don't mind me getting that off my chest.[/size][/quote]
JurorNo.2 liked this
Can I bring up the sequel vs reboot thing? It's starting to remind me of an old Muppets special where Miss Piggy went on a rampage after finding out her show was a special, not a series, lol.

Anyway, I also remember when I was a kid, encountering a website called something like nitpickers.com. At first it was fun pointing out silly mistakes in movies. Then I started noticing how nasty and ugly the people could get at each other, all over some point of continuity or canon. It scared me. It still does.
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:And people in general lately have really committed to choosing up sides in all facets of life, and refusing to trust the other side. I'm going to blame social media some, which people are using as their echo chambers. And the news outlets (and not just Fox) for catering to and reinforcing certain points of view. Our brains aren't taking in anything healthy anymore (Sorry, I majored in media, lol).
They're even reinforcing the bashing of Ghostbusters II, check out this post I made the other day (I put it in small to take up less space):
I found the AOL clip I mentioned above that frustrated me so much. You can watch it here if you want: http://on.aol.com/video/ghostbusters-2- ... 71f41fe5f1
Now let me explain why this made me so angry, that way I can move on and stop bothering everyone about it... It starts off stating how much the film made at the box office, and then shows a quote by Rory Bruer stating that there is no doubt in his mind that a sequel will happen. All fine and well. It's clearly not an opinion piece by anything so far stated in the clip, just factual news.

But to end it, they tack on an insult to Ghostbusters II that adds nothing to the piece:

This is a mean dig at what is actually a great film, it adds absolutely nothing noteworthy to the news piece, and is unprofessional. I want to learn facts when I watch the news, I don't want (what are supposed to be) factual pieces telling me that one of my favorite films has a crappy reputation. A professional news agency should not even insinuate that something subjective (like a film) is crappy. It is simply not good reporting practice, and should be unacceptable by professional news agency standards.

I hope you don't mind me getting that off my chest.
Yeah I saw that, and yes it was extremely tacky. GB2 is such a harmless, sweet movie. People who want to beat it when it's down make no sense to me.
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote:
Lee FW wrote:The Star Wars message boards got pretty toxic just before Force Awakens, I spent one day modding a John Boyega thread before it got me down so much that I packed them in and deleted all my accounts so I could enjoy the hype. No Star Wars boards for me ever again.

When I saw what those boards were like I was genuinely shocked. I though there was peace and order in the Star Wars galaxy (pun intended,) buy was I wrong! The positive hype for Force Awakens blew me away, including the sheer amount of merchandise. Meanwhile I have hardly seen anything for Ghostbusters (by the way, my theater didn't get either TFA or GB, for Star Wars it was something about not being able to sell out 40 screenings or something like that.)

Since it was a sequel instead of a reboot, the fans that were supportive about it were probably were more vocal earlier on. Even though I never said anything against the existence of the new Ghostbusters, because it wasn't GB3 I didn't jump on board saying anything positive until quite a bit after it was announced. Neither an optimistic or pessimistic thought about it until after the trailer, when I started to think it might be good.

I was around 4chan when TFA was first shown off... Lets just say, you can only take so much before it makes you regret ever being a fan of anything. It was about the same with Ghostbusters. As like Lee FW was saying; Ghostbusters just doesn't have the force "pun intended" to brake away for all of this toxic fandom.

It's to late for Sony to put the cat back in the bag. So the best they can do now is work with what they got and make this cat a show stopper. :love:
Last edited by ghostJAR on July 20th, 2016, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
Short of hooking that cat up to a Nuclear accelerator? I said from the beginning the actress' didn't deserve to be mocked for their appearance, looks, race etc. Nothing wrong with criticizing their work.

I'll say again that Leslie didn't deserve any of the racist shit she got. We also have to look at the possibility of them purposely riling up groups of people to generate buzz. You have the head of Sony admitting they were profiting off it.

The scum bags who started this twitter bullshit should be banned from their accounts. These are people that are saying things they wouldn't in real life, and getting away with it hiding behind their computer screens.

I'm an independent conservative. I'm a staunch supporter of freedom of speech, people will be ass holes. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

I'm not making a video but Leslie has my support. However it would be nice if the girls would actually clarify which groups of fans they see as sad boys and basement dwellers. Making blanket statements like that rope the same people who may stand with you in the same category as those attacking you.
Scum, featofstrength liked this
I can sit here all day and bitch about a movie. Its direction, the acting, the writing, whether or not it sucks, etc. etc. etc. I guarantee you ANYONE in showbusiness could give less of a damn if 'guy on internet' hated the film. They are used to that kind of thing -- the whole "you can't please everybody!" still applies.

But the amount of vile toxicity that has surrounded this movie from both end of the spectrum has made me uncomfortable to wear any of my Ghostbuster shirts out in public. Some of which I actually made myself.

So... that's a thing.

There is no circumstance surround a movie where anyone in it should be targeted in such a way.
Sav C liked this
I don't want to start a war here, but I think Milo being banned from Twitter over this is absolutely absurd.
pyhasanon wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:One account banned VS how many attacks?
Apparently, Twitter has banned a couple of other accounts, but will not release names or how many they banned, but they traced most of them back to Milo, who was apparently the instigator... He has near 400,000 followers who would do his bidding without putting any thought into it, which is quite frightening, if you think about it...
I followed the whole fiasco very closely as it was happening (which I think I may have stated on here earlier in the week). Milo didn't instigate (he wrote a review, (which's I've also linked on here)). Nowhere in his review, or on his Twitter, do you see him instigating the hate Leslie got. Nor do you see him saying anything that would constitute a ban. In fact, the most "offensive" thing said (specifically between Leslie and Milo) was something retweeted by Leslie, using an "offensive slur" about Milo's sexuality.

Also, I don't think Milo should be held responsible for what his followers do. Do they ban Justin Bieber from twitter when #cutforbieber is trendin on twitter, and teenage girls are cutting their wrists?

All in all, when you really look a the facts in this specific case, Milo should not have been banned. The people saying the really horrible things they said about Leslie? Yes, they deserve to be banned. The only reason (IMO) that Milo got the ban hammer was because it's a lot easier to vilify one guy (who as you stated has 400K followers), than it is to ban 30 nameless trolls.
Alphagaia wrote:I'm not letting complete asshats decide what shirt I should wear.

Wear that shirt proud, son.
I agree completely. I will proudly wear all the GB gear, with a big 'ol smile on my face!
It's like when a band "sells out". I may not like the new album, but I still love the band, or at least what they used to be!
I don't know what happened between Milo and Leslie. I'm sure they both said things they regret. And yes, Twitter was more likely to ban him because he's a conservative, I get that. But Milo writing this...
the beloved franchise from our childhood [has] a stake driven through its heart, head chopped off, body burned and buried at a crossroads.”
...makes me loose whatever sympathy I might have had for him. I don't care about his precious childhood, I care about the miserable adult he and so many other "fans" have become. This entire experience makes me never want to call another movie "beloved" ever again because it will always be associated with toxicity, mean spiritedness, and utter sickness. I'm done. Sorry for the dramatics, but I'm done.

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]