Discuss the new Ghostbusters movie to be released in 2016, directed by Paul Feig.
User avatar
By thewoe
#4872558
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... sults.html

I think this is utterly sickening. Noone should be recieving this type of abuse.

This type of abuse in this day and age is utterly unacceptable.

Like it or not Leslie is now one of the GB family and this should not be tolerated in our fandom.
MonaLS liked this
#4872559
Remember, you cannot reply to those and call them assholes, because that means all fans are assholes and YOU started attacking THEM. *internet logic*
Last edited by Alphagaia on July 19th, 2016, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, groschopf liked this
By Jangonate
#4872564
Absolutely despicable. And people wonder why people keep bringing up the irrational hate against this film. That's not the words of fans upset about reboots (if it is...there's the door). This is a hatred that lingered since announcement number one and kept building. Ugh...
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4872572
Jangonate wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Like I said, geek card = shredder. Not something I want to be associated with anymore.


You've had a lot of geek cards to put in that shredder! Ha ha...jk.


I belong to a lot of fanclubs? Lol, no you're right. I mean what I said, I just need to find a new slogan, clearly. ;)
User avatar
By Scum
#4872584
While I do honestly feel bad for her, that's the kind of abuse you open yourself up to on social media, especially twitter.

If it's any solace to anyone, Leslie Jones probably has more money in the bank than any of us combined. She's a big girl, she'll be fine.
#4872585
Scum wrote:While I do honestly feel bad for her, that's the kind of abuse you open yourself up to on social media, especially twitter.

If it's any solace to anyone, Leslie Jones probably has more money in the bank than any of us combined. She's a big girl, she'll be fine.


That's honestly a really shitty way of looking at it. So because she has more money than us, she'll be fine with dealing with the racism and abuse? Sorry, but that's an absolutely horrible way to look at it. Is it the worst thing that could happen to her? Absolutely not. But justifying it in any way that she will be "fine" simply because she has money is pretty terrible.

This is not the attitude to have about racism. Don't be indifferent to it because someone has money. It's not acceptable.
Lee FW, groschopf, jconover82 and 4 others liked this
User avatar
By Lee FW
#4872587
Because their ideals are nonsensical racists always make sure to shout louder to try and gain some kind of victory, just sad that now they have a bigger platform to spew their vileness louder than ever. Only way it'll ever stop is if everybody else in the majority stops being so blasé about it and makes sure their voice is the one thats heard instead.

Lotta love for Leslie, she's an awesome lady, nobody deserves that kinda abuse.

Just a thought though, how is this not a police matter? Here in the UK we have incitement of racial hatred laws which I'm pretty sure now covers social media to an extent. How does it work in the US?
User avatar
By Scum
#4872589
Doctor Venkman wrote:
Scum wrote:While I do honestly feel bad for her, that's the kind of abuse you open yourself up to on social media, especially twitter.

If it's any solace to anyone, Leslie Jones probably has more money in the bank than any of us combined. She's a big girl, she'll be fine.


That's honestly a really shitty way of looking at it. So because she has more money than us, she'll be fine with dealing with the racism and abuse? Sorry, but that's an absolutely horrible way to look at it. Is it the worst thing that could happen to her? Absolutely not. But justifying it in any way that she will be "fine" simply because she has money is pretty terrible.

This is not the attitude to have about racism. Don't be indifferent to it because someone has money. It's not acceptable.


I wasn't justifying the abuse by any stretch of the imagination. I've been following this whole fiasco on Twitter, she could have a probably should have just stepped away from the whole thing and let the trolls eat themselves. If you notice, a lot of these super stars barely use their twitter accounts, because they know the more you feed the beast, the more the nut balls come out of the woodwork.

I only brought up the money thing for one reason. She will eat. She will have a roof over her head. She can take a trip to Fiji, throw her phone in the ocean and get away from the nonsense for a month. Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?

Nowhere in my original post did I justify racism or claim indifference to racism. A fair majority of the tweets send to her were not racially charged. As I said, I followed this debacle from the start.
#4872591
Lee FW wrote:Just a thought though, how is this not a police matter? Here in the UK we have incitement of racial hatred laws which I'm pretty sure now covers social media to an extent. How does it work in the US?


In the US we have free speech. The trolls may be awful people, but I wouldn't want the government shutting them up. If the trolls can be censored, then so can all of us. We have to protect free speech; it is our First Amendment for a reason. Anyway, it's good for the trolls' words to be exposed, rather than erased.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on July 19th, 2016, 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Scum, deadderek liked this
#4872593
Scum wrote:I only brought up the money thing for one reason. She will eat. She will have a roof over her head. She can take a trip to Fiji, throw her phone in the ocean and get away from the nonsense for a month.


You're not wrong, obviously it's a First World problem. It's easy to forget our problems don't mean much when compared to the rest of the world.
Scum liked this
#4872598
Scum wrote:
Doctor Venkman wrote:
That's honestly a really shitty way of looking at it. So because she has more money than us, she'll be fine with dealing with the racism and abuse? Sorry, but that's an absolutely horrible way to look at it. Is it the worst thing that could happen to her? Absolutely not. But justifying it in any way that she will be "fine" simply because she has money is pretty terrible.

This is not the attitude to have about racism. Don't be indifferent to it because someone has money. It's not acceptable.


I wasn't justifying the abuse by any stretch of the imagination. I've been following this whole fiasco on Twitter, she could have a probably should have just stepped away from the whole thing and let the trolls eat themselves. If you notice, a lot of these super stars barely use their twitter accounts, because they know the more you feed the beast, the more the nut balls come out of the woodwork.

I only brought up the money thing for one reason. She will eat. She will have a roof over her head. She can take a trip to Fiji, throw her phone in the ocean and get away from the nonsense for a month. Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?

Nowhere in my original post did I justify racism or claim indifference to racism. A fair majority of the tweets send to her were not racially charged. As I said, I followed this debacle from the start.


I do understand your point, and wasn't trying to attack you, just comment on your post. But I do think it is a bit "indifferent" to think that way.

And I agree with your point that a lot of stars just don't respond because it's feeding the trolls.

But saying things like "Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?" really does come off as indifferent. Perhaps that's not what you intend, or perhaps you don't realize it. But racism is a lot more than hurt feelings, and it quickly explodes into more than words. So it almost seems to trivialize it to say it's "hurt feelings."
Scum liked this
#4872599
Doctor Venkman wrote: But racism is a lot more than hurt feelings, and it quickly explodes into more than words. So it almost seems to trivialize it to say it's "hurt feelings."


In all probably though those trolls would never do anything besides talk.
Scum liked this
User avatar
By Scum
#4872600
Doctor Venkman wrote:
Scum wrote:
I wasn't justifying the abuse by any stretch of the imagination. I've been following this whole fiasco on Twitter, she could have a probably should have just stepped away from the whole thing and let the trolls eat themselves. If you notice, a lot of these super stars barely use their twitter accounts, because they know the more you feed the beast, the more the nut balls come out of the woodwork.

I only brought up the money thing for one reason. She will eat. She will have a roof over her head. She can take a trip to Fiji, throw her phone in the ocean and get away from the nonsense for a month. Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?

Nowhere in my original post did I justify racism or claim indifference to racism. A fair majority of the tweets send to her were not racially charged. As I said, I followed this debacle from the start.


I do understand your point, and wasn't trying to attack you, just comment on your post. But I do think it is a bit "indifferent" to think that way.

And I agree with your point that a lot of stars just don't respond because it's feeding the trolls.

But saying things like "Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?" really does come off as indifferent. Perhaps that's not what you intend, or perhaps you don't realize it. But racism is a lot more than hurt feelings, and it quickly explodes into more than words. So it almost seems to trivialize it to say it's "hurt feelings."


And that's my point, to a certain extent. When people communicate via typing on the internet or text messaging, A LOT gets lost in translation. One miss-typed word, one wrong punctuation can be interpreted 5,000 different ways. People, famous or not, seem to lose sight of this fact. The level of anonymity on the internet as a whole is, I think, the real problem. When people talk face to face, it's a completely different conversation.
#4872603
Scum wrote:The level of anonymity on the internet as a whole is, I think, the real problem. When people talk face to face, it's a completely different conversation.


Like I said earlier, I wouldn't want the government getting involved in this. But I wouldn't mind if Twitter, a business, grew a conscience and starting clamping down harder on those people. The problem is there's no real accountability.
Scum liked this
User avatar
By groschopf
#4872604
We've entered a new era when abuse can be streamed directly to your phone or into your home.

I'm all for free speech, but this is pretty clearly hate speech and should be viewed accordingly. There's no social value to what's being espoused, and what some of these guys are saying is clearly designed only to hurt. That's not the same as being able to voice opposition to an ideology or speak truth to power. Its a murky area legally, and I know it's all up for debate -- but I sure as hell wouldn't happily weather crazies spewing insults at me in person. I don't fully grasp why we deem such behavior online as less of a transgression. Just because these guys wouldn't say this crap in person doesn't negate the fact that they're still saying it.

I wish I could meet Leslie just once so I could give her a big damn hug. As someone said earlier, no one should have to take this kind of abuse.
#4872605
groschopf wrote:
I'm all for free speech, but this is pretty clearly hate speech and should be viewed accordingly.


And I do view it accordingly. As free speech.

There's no social value to what's being espoused


It's dangerous to place judgement on which speech has value and which doesn't. And personally, I'm glad to let the trolls embarrass themselves.

I wish I could meet Leslie just once so I could give her a big damn hug. As someone said earlier, no one should have to take this kind of abuse.


Agreed. And the responsibility falls on Twitter to better police themselves. Not the government doing it for them.
Scum, featofstrength liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4872616
groschopf wrote:Oh, I'm not advocating that the government interject. I just see what being said being less about expression and more about doing harm.

And I agree -- that's Twitter's platform, and it's their job to deal with it.


Gotcha, sorry if I misunderstood.
#4872617
lozbloke wrote:Terrible that in 2016 that some people still have problems with race, sexual orientation, religion and misogyny - particularly when its off the back of simply doing your job.


Most of them don't even care about race, etc. They literally just think a movie is more important than anything, even people.
lozbloke liked this
User avatar
By Lee FW
#4872618
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Lee FW wrote:Just a thought though, how is this not a police matter? Here in the UK we have incitement of racial hatred laws which I'm pretty sure now covers social media to an extent. How does it work in the US?


In the US we have free speech. The trolls may be awful people, but I wouldn't want the government shutting them up. If the trolls can be censored, then so can all of us. We have to protect free speech; it is our First Amendment for a reason. Anyway, it's good for the trolls' words to be exposed, rather than erased.


oh for sure, it's a slippery slope when liberties are eroded, it's just I feel sometimes that there needs to be more accountability when those words are intended for nothing but abuse and hurt.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4872619
Lee FW wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
In the US we have free speech. The trolls may be awful people, but I wouldn't want the government shutting them up. If the trolls can be censored, then so can all of us. We have to protect free speech; it is our First Amendment for a reason. Anyway, it's good for the trolls' words to be exposed, rather than erased.


oh for sure, it's a slippery slope when liberties are eroded, it's just I feel sometimes that there needs to be more accountability when those words are intended for nothing but abuse and hurt.


Agreed. And the only way that would ever happen is if Twitter felt their business threatened.
User avatar
By J10kmn
#4872631
JurorNo.2 wrote:In the US we have free speech. The trolls may be awful people, but I wouldn't want the government shutting them up. If the trolls can be censored, then so can all of us. We have to protect free speech; it is our First Amendment for a reason. Anyway, it's good for the trolls' words to be exposed, rather than erased.


Free speech does not mean say whatever you want to whoever you want whenever you want. There are exceptions to the First Amendment here in the US that have been enforced by the Supreme Court. These exceptions include obscenity, true threats, child pornography, fighting words, etc. The first amendment at its core was put into place to prevent the government from stomping out people who don't like their policies (aka the reason the US was formed from Britain in the first place) to protect the people from being silenced to injustices against them. The first amendment is not meant to protect racism, hate, or threats; its to project your right to speak out against them.

The things said to Leslie Jones are vile and its not easy to ignore people when they're clearly making fake racist tweets with her name on them and posting them all over the place.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4872633
J10kmn wrote:The things said to Leslie Jones are vile


Are you saying they're threats? If not, then they are allowed.

I'm not saying they're lovely words. I'm saying they're free from censorship. And I'm glad they are, so everyone can see what vile people the trolls are.

the first amendment is not meant to protect racism, hate, or threats


You are correct about threats. But we can't police what is hate and what isn't. If a racist can be censored, tomorrow it might be you who is censored.
Scum liked this
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 14

I bothered, lol. I have been bothering with for a[…]

The pics on spongeface's page don't show up. Thank[…]

Help with wand tip light

Thank for the reply. Yeah I was able to have it li[…]

Matty figure sale

Looks like they have the Ray/Winston set on sale a[…]