Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
I've been a member here at GBfans for 7 years. I don't post much, but I lurk.

A brief background: I've been a fan of Ghostbusters for as long as I can remember, regularly watching the first film and going to see GB2 at the cinema the weekend of release. I recorded the entire UK run of Real Ghostbusters to VHS tape and watched religiously. I collected the comics and toys, which I still have. The film is obviously one of my favourites. I own the Legion comic book variant editions and the Time Life box set, and was led to the online GB community by an old issues of Cereal:Geek which featured Dan Schoening's work, and I subsequently got into his IDW comics. I've played every videogame, I own the minimates, the Lego, some Mattel collectibles, I own production cels from the 3 minute RGB promo. I've done GB artwork myself as a freelance illustrator. Ghostbusters means an awful lot to me.

Yet oddly I can't post on the reddit community.

They tell me my 9 month old reddit account (which I created to post in other subreddits) isn't 'established', but the real reason is that I gave the new movie an average review and corrected people who were spouting hate and lies. That makes me a 'shill' and 'SJW' apparently. r/ghostbusters aren't fit to represent this fanbase and is run by misogynist trolls. They're an absolute disgrace. I just wanted to reach out elsewhere in the community to vent my dismay. Ramis would've hated those guys.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on July 20th, 2016, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeta otaku, Troy, GBPaulRivera and 1 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
I unsubscribed from them awhile ago. Yes, they are sick individuals; they literally think a movie is threatening their way of life.
GBPaulRivera liked this
That subreddit has had horrible mods for the last few years. And by horrible, I mean practically NONE at all. Since the trolls latched their talons into the drama of the remake they have swarmed that subreddit en masse. I know of at least 2 other subreddits who actively invaded/trolled/shit posted on there for laughs constantly.

Recently the original mods got control back and are trying to get things under control. I think it's reached the point now where there are more trolls than actual subscribers.
As someone who frequents /r/ghostbusters on an almost daily basis, I think it's important to remember that not everyone there is "toxic." I will admit, it's no longer a bright happy ball of sunshine, but I do still enjoy the posts that aren't overly negative reboot bashing. Some posters are super defensive about the franchise and strongly anti-GB16 and that's fine; There are people who didn't hate/actual enjoyed the reboot and that's fine too! Ultimately, respect for each other should remain paramount. Sadly, on that subreddit, sometimes(especially lately) it's hard to tell the trolls from the non-trolls. For every fun post about a proton pack build or a cool merchandise haul, there are 3 or 4 posts about how bad the reboot is. It's kind of entering circlejerk territory where people are just complaining over and over about the same thing with nothing new to say.

I think we all get that this reboot divided the fanbase, but we all lived through the Star Wars prequels. We made it to the other side of Indiana Jones 4. It's not the first time a beloved franchise has had a "less-than-stellar" return to the headlines with fans on both sides of the fence. I saw the new movie. It's definitely not the worst thing to bare the Ghostbusters brand. The writing and directing were flawed from a basic storytelling standpoint, but I would and will watch it again. The big surprise? My childhood remains intact, just as it did after Jurassic Park 3, All the Star Wars Prequels, Indy 4, and TMNT. At the end of the day, it's a movie. No new movie can stop me from enjoying GB84, just like someone dressing up as Kate McKinnon's character wont stop other people from dressing up in the OG jumpsuits and building proton packs. Everyone needs to chill out. Some people like it -- some people don't.

I probably picked the worst time to start building my GB84 proton pack and trap to go with my jumpsuit, because the community has, on more than one occasion, made me feel like hanging it up in the closet and never telling anyone it's there. Some of the posts make me ashamed to be counted among the fans, but there's a great many that continue to make me proud to put on the suit.

One thing this movie succeeded in, was getting some people who normally wouldn't care about Ghostbusters, to actually want to see it. I've struggled for almost 20 years to find a common ground with my sister. I've tried countless times to get her to watch the original and to be excited about stuff like I am. I got a text from her last Friday that said "I'm really excited to see the new Ghostbusters!"

BAM!

Sibling bonding time. As flawed as the movie is, it brought us closer together.

It may not be for everyone, but like it or not, it does have an audience, which makes a place like /r/ghostbusters a very scary and unwelcoming place for new fans of the new movie.

I forgot my point 3 paragraphs ago.
I used to frequent /r/Ghostbusters every once in a while to see what the fans had come up with in regards to costumes, etc. I've loved this series since I was 3 and saw it in the theaters in 1984. But the recent poisonous attitude that has permeated that sub has become too much for me.

I liked the movie. See, when I like something, I want more of it. I think we should be embracing Ghostbusters 2016 and hoping to get more from the universe, instead of griping about everything and turning everything inside out. My son is now 3 and him and I have begun watching the TV shows on DVD. It's been so much fun to extend my memories to him and for him to have a new generation of films and material to call his own.

But of course, we could lose Ghostbusters for another 30 years if we turn into raging jerks and drive the brand into the ground instead of supporting it. But then we would have to redefine what a "fan" is: someone who holds something so sacred that they will fight to the death over change or someone who wants more of what they like?
Lee FW, JurorNo.2, TheDreamMaster and 2 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
I don't even think this is a fandom problem. This is an Internet problem. Trolls are people who can't handle real life interactions, and seek refugee on the Web, so they can push others around. If they aren't kept in check, they grow like weeds. They literally hold message boards hostage with their sickness. At this point, I'm very jaded on the whole idea of the Internet. A technology with so much potential, and we've allowed it to become a joke. A few years ago, I would have argued against any kind of Internet regulation. But it's very difficult for me to defend the Internet as a democracy anymore.
Sav C, J10kmn, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
I'm on that subreddit every day. I keep hoping that there will be a shift in how things are going, but I'm losing hope.

There are mods, but they don't seem to be able to handle the situation all that well. I would volunteer to be a mod, I've got some ideas on how to handle the situation, unfortunately I think my account is far too "new" to be taken seriously, not to mention that reddit as a whole is filled with awful people.

I personally didn't like the new movie, but I didn't hate it. It was what it was. It didn't ruin my childhood as so many of the folks at r/ghostbusters believe has happened.

Heck, on one occasion I even commented about how awful that subreddit had become, and how this site had an amazing user base. My wife picked up some ecto cooler for me, and by some I mean A LOT. I was told I was greedy because she picked up so much. I was like "what the actual f***?".

Anyway, there are lots of good folks here, and I firmly believe this site truly represents who the real fans are. That will never be in dispute.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: They tell me my 9 month old reddit account (which I created to post in other subreddits) isn't 'established', but the real reason is that I gave the new movie an average review and corrected people who were spouting hate and lies. That makes me a 'shill' and 'SJW' apparently. r/ghostbusters aren't fit to represent this fanbase and is run by misogynist trolls. They're an absolute disgrace. I just wanted to reach out elsewhere in the community to vent my dismay. Ramis would've hated those guys.
Yeah I have the same issue as well. People complain and make accusations over Den of Geek and YouTube that I'm misogynistic because I don't like the new movie. Believe me it works the other way. Trust me, on both sides of the coin there are idiots who have a go at people for no reason. Just ignore them.
Ivo Shandor wrote:Reddit? *laugh* What a waste of bandwidth.
But it did give us a complete plot synopsis of the film months before the movie came out, thank God.
Sav C liked this
By Scum
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah I have the same issue as well. People complain and make accusations over Den of Geek and YouTube that I'm misogynistic because I don't like the new movie. Believe me it works the other way. Trust me, on both sides of the coin there are idiots who have a go at people for no reason.
This may be a very unpopular opinion, but after Aykroyd's comments on E.T. after the Leslie Jones fiasco, anyone who has a negative view of the movie is not only labeled as a misogynist. No, now anyone with a critical opinion are "insignificant gnats, losers, no lives of their own, can barely pay for WiFi, no jobs, obese, white men between 50-60, AND active members of the Aryan nation!"

Before anyone hits me with the line of "he was talking about the trolls!" this is the same kind of rhetoric that got anyone with a critical view of the reboot (months ago) labeled as misogynists.
pferreira1983, gold333 liked this
By J10kmn
Scum wrote:This may be a very unpopular opinion, but after Aykroyd's comments on E.T. after the Leslie Jones fiasco, anyone who has a negative view of the movie is not only labeled as a misogynist. No, now anyone with a critical opinion are "insignificant gnats, losers, no lives of their own, can barely pay for WiFi, no jobs, obese, white men between 50-60, AND active members of the Aryan nation!"
I wouldn't say unpopular. I think it's completely fair (based on how this entire movie experience has played out) to feel that if you have any opinion what-so-ever you're going to get lumped into a group of people you may not agree with. That is how this whole thing has played out for both sides.
Scum wrote:Before anyone hits me with the line of "he was talking about the trolls!" this is the same kind of rhetoric that got anyone with a critical view of the reboot (months ago) labeled as misogynists.
It IS exactly the same kind of rhetoric that got people unjustly labelled misogynists, but regardless of interpretation he WAS speaking specifically about the trolls who take it too far. That being said, will it get twisted and used against people with actual criticism? Absolutely. Is it fair or right? Not in the slightest.

As for my opinion of reddit, I think its very easy for negativity to override rational thought (good or bad) when large amounts of people with little to no accountability gather but it isn't always a golden rule. There are plenty of examples of reddit threads where people talk and discuss without shitting on each other and plenty of other examples where its just a mad house. I personally don't use reddit (not for any reason other than finding it unnecessary). I'm sorry to hear that some people are having a bad time on the Ghostbusters subreddit though.
Scum, Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
I unsubbed recently, it's become a joke as of late. Negativity and hatred running rampant. It was slowly starting to skew my view of the reboot. (Which I enjoyed, despite it's flaws).

The same can be said about the numerous comments on Facebook. It's getting to be really disheartening that people feel the need to bash one another.

Thankfully, this forum exists and has mostly stayed respectful of both sides of the coin.
Scum, Alphagaia liked this
Scum wrote:
This may be a very unpopular opinion, but after Aykroyd's comments on E.T. after the Leslie Jones fiasco, anyone who has a negative view of the movie is not only labeled as a misogynist. No, now anyone with a critical opinion are "insignificant gnats, losers, no lives of their own, can barely pay for WiFi, no jobs, obese, white men between 50-60, AND active members of the Aryan nation!"

Before anyone hits me with the line of "he was talking about the trolls!" this is the same kind of rhetoric that got anyone with a critical view of the reboot (months ago) labeled as misogynists.
I didn't want to be the person to say it but you are completely right.
Scum liked this
J10kmn wrote:
Scum wrote: It IS exactly the same kind of rhetoric that got people unjustly labelled misogynists, but regardless of interpretation he WAS speaking specifically about the trolls who take it too far.
"You can't hate this film without people calling you a misogynist!"

WRONG. YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN. WATCH THE FILM. SAY YOU HATE IT BECAUSE A, B, C... FINE. KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

THERE ISN'T A HATE MOB GOING ROUND HURLING OUT RACIST ABUSE AT PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LIKE THIS MOVIE.

That is a tactic deployed by the same far-right 4chan, assholes who have been trolling this movie from the very beginning. Oh Milo got banned from Twitter because he gave the movie a bad reviews, it's a feminazi, leftist, conspiracy. NO. IT'S ABOUT PERSONAL F'ING DECENCY. Milo committed LIBEL when he tweeted fake Leslie Jones tweets portraying her as homophobic and racist in an attempt to harrass her and set his racist followers on her. Tactic number one: Accuse your opponent of being what you are.

People who say they hate the film because they don't like Feig comedies / McCarthy or because they're too big fans of the original... who criticize but DON'T WATCH THE FILM, may not be misogynists, but their reasons are just as dumb and biased, because they haven't watched the damn film to know whether it's good or not. Who cares if these people feel they're unfairly being labelled misogynists?

Most of them will be in line for next Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars, Star Trek sequel because their values are BS.
Yeah I have the same issue as well. People complain and make accusations over Den of Geek and YouTube that I'm misogynistic because I don't like the new movie. Believe me it works the other way. Trust me, on both sides of the coin there are idiots who have a go at people for no reason. Just ignore them.
It's not the same. Sorry.
By MagicPrime
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:
J10kmn wrote:
"You can't hate this film without people calling you a misogynist!"

WRONG. YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN. WATCH THE FILM. SAY YOU HATE IT BECAUSE A, B, C... FINE. KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

THERE ISN'T A HATE MOB GOING ROUND HURLING OUT RACIST ABUSE AT PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LIKE THIS MOVIE.

That is a tactic deployed by the same far-right 4chan, assholes who have been trolling this movie from the very beginning. Oh Milo got banned from Twitter because he gave the movie a bad reviews, it's a feminazi, leftist, conspiracy. NO. IT'S ABOUT PERSONAL F'ING DECENCY. Milo committed LIBEL when he tweeted fake Leslie Jones tweets portraying her as homophobic and racist in an attempt to harrass her and set his racist followers on her. Tactic number one: Accuse your opponent of being what you are.

People who say they hate the film because they don't like Feig comedies / McCarthy or because they're too big fans of the original... who criticize but DON'T WATCH THE FILM, may not be misogynists, but their reasons are just as dumb and biased, because they haven't watched the damn film to know whether it's good or not. Who cares if these people feel they're unfairly being labelled misogynists?

Most of them will be in line for next Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars, Star Trek sequel because their values are BS.
It's not the same. Sorry.
I've seen the film twice, once in theater (didn't pay for a ticket - have a friend that lets us in for free) and once at home. I didn't like the film because I am a big fan of the originals tone and style of humor, which this movie did not have. I also am not a fan of Feig's other films.

Batman vs Superman was a train-wreck which I also saw for free. Amazing Spiderman 2 was trash as well, I enjoyed The Force Awakens (Finn is my favorite character) and StarTrek: Beyond was amazing.
pferreira1983, Merrimon liked this
By kevinj319
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: THERE ISN'T A HATE MOB GOING ROUND HURLING OUT RACIST ABUSE AT PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LIKE THIS MOVIE.
Tell that to James Rolfe.

Not everyone that disagrees with you is a hater. Contrary opinions are not necessarily toxic. Quite honestly, your post is dripping with vitriol and I can practically imagine the spittle flying from your lips, so I think we have a little case of the pot calling the kettle black. If you are simply looking for a hugbox that validates what you already believe, perhaps it is best if you do unsub from r/Ghostbusters.
By Scum
kevinj319 wrote:
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: THERE ISN'T A HATE MOB GOING ROUND HURLING OUT RACIST ABUSE AT PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LIKE THIS MOVIE.

Not everyone that disagrees with you is a hater. Contrary opinions are not necessarily toxic. Quite honestly, your post is dripping with vitriol and I can practically imagine the spittle flying from your lips, so I think we have a little case of the pot calling the kettle black. If you are simply looking for a hugbox that validates what you already believe, perhaps it is best if you do unsub from r/Ghostbusters.
Well said. I think in these kinds of debates people from either end of the spectrum do this a lot. To quote the President "The democracy doesn't work when we constantly demonize each other."

Some people just aren't equipped to deal with the objectivity to admit being wrong, or evolve beliefes based on the new information they've been given.

I must be some kind of an alien. I really like the new movie, BUT I agree with almost all of the criticism. I can see the clear feminist agenda, but whatever. I love Ghostbusters and I can accept and recognize it's faults. So, like I said. I must be some kind of an alien for not being so dead set in ONE SINGULAR viewpoint that I can't love something but have major issues with it.

Cognitive Dissonance. Look it up Chicken, he Clucked.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
kevinj319 wrote:
James Rolfe didn't see the movie.

That's the difference. He made up his mind before he'd even seen it and made a big statement out of it. That's his choice, but it's problematic. I like his channel, and I totally get where he is coming from. I didn't want a Feig Ghostbusters, I thought the trailers were terrible, that an Aykroyd-Ramis-Stupnitsky-Eisenberg scripts exist, but weren't made, is a travesty. The direction they took, the cast... it wouldn't have been my choice.

I liked Bridesmaids, hate the Heat, but I think comparing a Feig Ghostbusters to Robocop or Total Recall before it even came out and making it an example of why we don't support reboots (a statement that is a complete lie by the way, geek and nerd culture historically lap up reboots), was really poor. I will happily deconstruct why this Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't for me, but I can also balance that out with what I liked about it. Because there was plenty to like. It is in no way comparable to Robocop or Total Recall in terms of quality. And as a fan I believe Rolfe's position and fans like him, will be harmful for the resurrection of the franchise in other mediums, which is ultimately a sad thing to me.
Not everyone that disagrees with you is a hater. Contrary opinions are not necessarily toxic.
Agree with you 100%. People calling me a shill or telling me I like racist films, or outright banning me from talking, while sharing alt-right propaganda and slamming a film they haven't seen. That's toxic.
I must be some kind of an alien. I really like the new movie, BUT I agree with almost all of the criticism.
Then I'm an alien too. I like the new movie but a lot of the criticism holds up, mainly in terms of tone and not being funny enough. It's a missed opportunity, but it's also a warm and entertaining one. The 3d effects were incredible and worth a ticket alone.
I can see the clear feminist agenda, but whatever.
The feminist agenda is the casting and a few mild jokes. This shouldn't be an issue in of itself. If the script was sharper that would've been better, but still guys on GB boards would be giving it a hard time. Whilst the Chris Hemsworth himbo is funny, I get that it isn't really appropriate to Ghostbusters where Janine was sort of a strong character. But she was still only a receptionist, and as guys it's hard for us to understand how it must feel for a girl watching every Hollywood blockbuster for the last 30-40 years relegating women to supporting love interest or male gaze objects. That is a genuine problem, but it still seems utterly baffling Sony didn't go with a mixed team. A terrible creative and business decision.
Cognitive Dissonance. Look it up Chicken, he Clucked.
I just ask people to watch the film before they run their mouth off, and that they show respect to others. No cognitive dissonance here, man.
Alphagaia, Scum, JurorNo.2 and 1 others liked this
By kevinj319
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: James Rolfe didn't see the movie.

That's the difference. He made up his mind before he'd even seen it and made a big statement out of it. That's his choice, but it's problematic.

He chose not to see and review a movie he knew he wouldn't like. That this is viewed as
problematic
speaks volumes.
seekandannoy liked this
By JurorNo.2
kevinj319 wrote:

He chose not to see and review a movie he knew he wouldn't like.
And then drew attention to himself, basically doing a review of a trailer instead of a movie. Having your cake and eating it too.
By kevinj319
JurorNo.2 wrote:
kevinj319 wrote:

He chose not to see and review a movie he knew he wouldn't like.
And then drew attention to himself, basically doing a review of a trailer instead of a movie. Having your cake and eating it too.
How dare he. I guess he deserves to be slandered and eviscerated in the media, then.

You guys just really aren't equipped to deal with people with a differing opinion from yours, are you?
pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
kevinj319 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
How dare he. I guess he deserves to be slandered and eviscerated in the media, then.
Oh sheesh. Of course not. Everything about the fan/online media reaction to this movie was one big overreaction, to say the least.
By MagicPrime
kevinj319 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:

You guys just really aren't equipped to deal with people with a differing opinion from yours, are you?
People also ignore the fact that his fanbase had been actively asking him for his opinion and if he would be reviewing the movie. His video was a response to his followers.

But of course, that goes against the spin -- so we can't have that.
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
People also ignore the fact that his fanbase had been actively asking him for his opinion and if he would be reviewing the movie. His video was a response to his followers.

We "ignore" that because it wasn't just a mere response. "I refuse"? He was grand standing.
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:

We "ignore" that because it wasn't just a mere response. "I refuse"? He was grand standing.
He was stating his opinion to his followers asking it. An opinion us usually more than a 'yea' or 'nay'.
seekandannoy liked this
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
He was stating his opinion to his followers asking it. An opinion us usually more than a 'yea' or 'nay'.
Of course he was stating his opinion. And he was grand standing.
Alphagaia liked this
The internet is one reason we are slowly losing the ability to talk with someone we disagree with without turning it into a screaming match, demonizing them, unfriending them, etc.

I have friends who have completely different views than me on religion, politics, society, and yes Ghostbusters. They are still friends.

I actually like reading the writings of and talking to people who disagree with me. It's mentally stimulating and I might just change my mind about something.

Nowadays no one wants to change their mind, they just want to find a whole bunch of people they agree with and talk back and forth. Or they find people they disagree with and argue on the internet and nothing is accomplished.
Chicken, He Clucked, Sav C and 3 others liked this
By Scum
Ivo Shandor wrote:The internet is one reason we are slowly losing the ability to talk with someone we disagree with without turning it into a screaming match, demonizing them, unfriending them, etc.

I have friends who have completely different views than me on religion, politics, society, and yes Ghostbusters. They are still friends.

I actually like reading the writings of and talking to people who disagree with me. It's mentally stimulating and I might just change my mind about something.

Nowadays no one wants to change their mind, they just want to find a whole bunch of people they agree with and talk back and forth. Or they find people they disagree with and argue on the internet and nothing is accomplished.
Couldn't agree with you more on this, Ivo. It's so unbelievably important for people with differing views to have discussions about things they disagree about. It's like science. Science I believe has something like a 5 year shelf life, where things we thought to be gospel 5 years ago have been proven to be wrong through the scientific method.

I love to argue, I LOVE to debate. I too find it to be extremely mentally stimulating. It's interesting because MOST of the time, I have found that at the end of a debate the two parties end up agreeing with one another OR learning something about the train of thought of the opposition.

When you suppress the other side of the argument or blow it off, your not helping anyone, and keeping yourself in the stone age.
By kevinj319
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Of course he was stating his opinion. And he was grand standing.
Have you watched the video? It's one of the politest, mild-mannered things you could watch.
Besides this, what possible difference does it make to this conversation if he was or wasn't grandstandng? You're still trying to justify the character assassination that took place because he had the "wrong" opinion. Which brings us back to the original point we've gotten away from: The denial that was taking place in this thread that a negative view of this film will get you smeared.
gold333, featofstrength, seekandannoy and 1 others liked this
By gold333
kevinj319 wrote:The denial that was taking place in this thread that a negative view of this film will get you smeared.
Because Ghostbusters 2016 is seen as progressive to women's equality in Hollywood, simple-minded people frown upon those who criticize the movie itself.

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome