Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By deadderek
Commander_Jim wrote:
One thing I'll give Feigbusters credit for, watching Bill Murrays painfully bored and uninterested performance as he sleepwalked through his cameo in this film has cured me of wanting to see another film with the original cast. I mean, if the guy couldn't even work up the enthusiasm for what must have been a days work... I'd still be keen for a new beginning with Ray and Winston as like GB chiefs to a new generation.[/quote]

I can honestly say I have never seen a more disinterested cameo ever...
By MonaLS
Critics simply liked GB16 a lot more than most movies this summer. Whether it's your kind of humor or not, it was a movie that focused on dialogue and character chemistry, as opposed to explosions. That is what critics respond to, especially when they're probably so weary of comic book movies at this point (that aren't Marvel, and even they are starting to push it). True, critics liked Star Trek Beyond.
No kidding. I didn't even see the last Marvel or DC mess. Civil war, Bats against Sups - done to death. Enough already. (Ant-man ROCKED. I'll take more like that.)
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By Commander_Jim
deadderek wrote:I can honestly say I have never seen a more disinterested cameo ever...
Yeah. It was actually one of the main reasons I wanted to go see the film. But they couldn't kill him off soon enough, it was just painful. I'd hate to have seen him pull a similar stunt with Venkman in a film with the original cast.

JurorNo.2 wrote:Which doesn't say much for the criticism.

I mean seriously, are we saying, "Keep the continuity intact or we'll hack you!"? Is that the fandom now?
Why do you keep saying that it was the fandom? Do you really think it was GB fans who did it and not the 4chan scumbags who do this kind of thing all the time and who have been targeting her relentlessly since one of their heroes got banned from Twitter after getting into a feud with her? These people aren't GB fans, never have been and most weren't even born until a decade after GB2 even came out and the only reason they attached themselves to the anti-GB 2016 sentiment is because feminists took it up as a cause to push, which to those people is waving a red flag at a bull.
I've been involved with various GB fandoms since the original fan club in the 80s as a kid. And GB has ALWAYS been one of the most positive, inclusive and charity minded fandoms of them all. Yet overnight half the fanbase or more is suddenly a bunch of sexist, racist scumbags who support the violation of an actress just because they don't support the remake? Well I guess that line from Sony. Feig and co. really worked.
savintheday, Robzy, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
Commander_Jim wrote: Why do you keep saying that it was the fandom? Do you really think it was GB fans who did it and not the 4chan scumbags who do this kind of thing all the time and who have been targeting her relentlessly since one of their heroes got banned from Twitter after getting into a feud with her? These people aren't GB fans, never have been and most weren't even born until a decade after GB2 even came out and the only reason they attached themselves to the anti-GB 2016 sentiment is because feminists took it up as a cause to push, which to those people is waving a red flag at a bull.
I've been involved with various GB fandoms since the original fan club in the 80s as a kid. And GB has ALWAYS been one of the most positive, inclusive and charity minded fandoms of them all. Yet overnight half the fanbase or more is suddenly a bunch of sexist, racist scumbags who support the violation of an actress just because they don't support the remake? Well I guess that line from Sony. Feig and co. really worked.
I didn't say it wasn't a 4chan scumbag or Milo fanboy. That doesn't mean they don't consider themselves GB fans. They certainly aren't angry at Jones because Taran Killam was fired! I'll grant you that some of them probably attached themselves to GB in general when they saw an opportunity to give the alt-right a cause to fight for. But again, doesn't mean they don't consider themselves fans. GB is a very populace movie and the alt-right is kinda the same way, only on the more negative side.
because feminists took it up as a cause to push
And a lot of fans overreacted to that in a hugely disturbing way. That wasn't only 4chan people by a long shot.

And you mention fans in the 80s, well we didn't have social media back then, and it definitely brings out the worst in people.

And I'm not saying the fans who obsessed over continuity (to the point where some of them harassed public figures on social media) are the ones who hacked her account. I will say they arguably helped contribute to a toxic atmosphere that encouraged the nutjobs at 4chan or wherever the hacker came from. You can disagree, that's fine.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 25th, 2016, 1:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Alphagaia, Razorgeist liked this
By JurorNo.2
MonaLS wrote: No kidding. I didn't even see the last Marvel or DC mess. Civil war, Bats against Sups - done to death. Enough already. (Ant-man ROCKED. I'll take more like that.)
Me neither. It's not fresh anymore. But that's true, Ant-Man at least hasn't been overexposed yet.
Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
MonaLS wrote:
Critics simply liked GB16 a lot more than most movies this summer. Whether it's your kind of humor or not, it was a movie that focused on dialogue and character chemistry, as opposed to explosions. That is what critics respond to, especially when they're probably so weary of comic book movies at this point (that aren't Marvel, and even they are starting to push it). True, critics liked Star Trek Beyond.
No kidding. I didn't even see the last Marvel or DC mess. Civil war, Bats against Sups - done to death. Enough already. (Ant-man ROCKED. I'll take more like that.)
You're missing out. I enjoyed both those movies. Batman V Superman getting the terrible reviews it got just baffles me. I couldn't believe the hate that movie got. Civil War was also pretty damn great. I look at those movies like comic books. Each new movie tells a new story while furthering the continuity. You wouldn't say "enough already" to a book series would you? Nothing like this has been done before in cinema history. It's almost like TV show episodes in the theatre, that's another way to think about it. Each new movie is a new episode. We all live in an amazing time. I never thought I'd live to see Spideman, Iron Man, Captain America and the rest in the same movie! It's like the cartoons I use to watch as a kid! Spiderman The Animated series or Batman The Animated series? Those shows were my jam back in the day. Now we are getting these stories told, with massive amounts of money behind them, and I for one couldn't be more happy. Batman the Animated series remains one of the best comic book adaptations of all time, definitely the greatest animated series ever. The music that show had? Damn. Luke Skywalker himself as the Joker? I can still watch that show as an adult, it holds up incredibly well.

Sorry for the off topic rant, once I get going about comic book movies it's hard for me to stop. But I digress...
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:Nothing like this has been done before in cinema history. It's almost like TV show episodes in the theatre
Well there were those WWII Batman live action shorts and Superman cartoons, those were like TV show episodes shown in the theater every week. And there were ongoing film series like The Thin Man. But we get what you mean. ;)
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Nothing like this has been done before in cinema history. It's almost like TV show episodes in the theatre
Well there were those WWII Batman live action shorts and Superman cartoons, those were like TV show episodes shown in the theater every week. And there were ongoing film series like The Thin Man. But we get what you mean. ;)
Aww the Fleischer "Superman" cartoons. Some of the most beautiful animation put on screen. I advise anyone whose into animation and/or The Man of Steel check em out. If anyone is easily offended be careful of the World War 2 set episodes in Japan, they can get a bit...racist. Different time though.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By Sav C
I'm glad you enjoy the superhero movies. Avengers was a great film, and the Tobey Maguire Spider Man trilogy was very well made. Unfortunately for me I am highly sensitive to camera shake, which many of the films (besides the ones I just listed) are stuffed with. Of course the shake is typically paired with fast cutting. Whenever I see it I get highly distracted and have trouble paying attention. After the end of Age of Ultron and Man of Steel I was dizzy.

It seems that the speed of the slow and fast spots are more contrasting than they ever used to be. The slow parts seem to drag out forever and the fast parts are too compressed for me to comprehend them.

In conclusion, I like smooth shots, and editing speeds that don't contrast each other too much. Did I just describe Ghostbusters?

As you've probably already figured out, this really isn't a rant about super hero movies but more about modern cinematography tropes.
MonaLS liked this
By Commander_Jim
I completely get what you mean about modern blockbusters. I have a tendency to just zone out entirely during things like the Man of Steel climax, it's just an overload. Funnily enough one of the reasons I love the Marvel films is because they seem, to me anyway, to buck these trends and are the closest things these days to the style of blockbuster I grew up with like Star Wars, James Bond etc.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
These darn kids with their hip things. Get of my lawn!

Hehe, I just realized we are talking like old people not keeping up with the current age. ;-)
Tony Bondioli, Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Commander_Jim wrote:Funnily enough one of the reasons I love the Marvel films is because they seem, to me anyway, to buck these trends and are the closest things these days to the style of blockbuster I grew up with like Star Wars, James Bond etc.
I often get the impression Robert Downey Jr. is trying to do 80s's Bill Murray when he plays Tony Stark. The endearing bad boy who makes non sequitur quips. The beginning of Iron Man when he hands off the award, that's straight out of Scrooged, lol. That said Scrooged took a bit more risks in making you dislike Frank Cross at the beginning. I don't think the studio ever wants you to really dislike Stark. But yes, I agree Marvel is trying to call back to earlier action/comedies that had more of a balance between action and character moments.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Commander_Jim wrote:Funnily enough one of the reasons I love the Marvel films is because they seem, to me anyway, to buck these trends and are the closest things these days to the style of blockbuster I grew up with like Star Wars, James Bond etc.
I often get the impression Robert Downey Jr. is trying to do 80s's Bill Murray when he plays Tony Stark. The endearing bad boy who makes non sequitur quips. The beginning of Iron Man when he hands off the award, that's straight out of Scrooged, lol. That said Scrooged took a bit more risks in making you dislike Frank Cross at the beginning. I don't think the studio ever wants you to really dislike Stark. But yes, I agree Marvel is trying to call back to earlier action/comedies that had more of a balance between action and character moments.
That's a bingo! RDJ is totally riffing on Venkman/Murray in Iron Man, good call. In fact I've often thought he would have made a great new GB team member but figured it would never happen due to his massive pay cheque demands and he's prob a bit older than what they wanted the new team to be(Same with Stephen Colbert! Imagine him in a proton pack? Egon 2.0)I wonder if he's ever mentioned Bill as an influence. They have that same engery & ability that when no matter where they are, they have the audience eating right out of their hands.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Avengers was refreshing to see. The story was very well paced and it was well made. Unfortunately I haven't noticed any of those same qualities in other Marvel films (granted I haven't watched many of them,) at least not on the same level.

Robert Downey Jr. would've made a great Ghostbuster. For me he proved his sense of humor in the film Wonder Boys, which I consider one of the best comedies ever made.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Ivo Shandor
Sav C wrote:Avengers was refreshing to see. The story was very well paced and it was well made. Unfortunately I haven't noticed any of those same qualities in other Marvel films (granted I haven't watched many of them,) at least not on the same level.

Robert Downey Jr. would've made a great Ghostbuster. For me he proved his sense of humor in the film Wonder Boys, which I consider one of the best comedies ever made.
I liked Avengers and especially Winter Soldier. Hated Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

I'm a DC guy though. Loved Man of Steel, Bats vs Supes, and Suicide Squad. All have flaws, but tons of fun. Cant' wait for Justice League.
Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Sav C wrote:Avengers was refreshing to see. The story was very well paced and it was well made. Unfortunately I haven't noticed any of those same qualities in other Marvel films (granted I haven't watched many of them,) at least not on the same level.

I liked Avengers and especially Winter Soldier. Hated Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

I'm a DC guy though. Loved Man of Steel, Bats vs Supes, and Suicide Squad. All have flaws, but tons of fun. Cant' wait for Justice League.
I'm with you on Bat V Superman. Have u seen the R-rated 3 hour "Ultimate Cut"? It's pretty awesome. I've said this before but I do not understand how that movie got 26% on rottentomatoes. Just doesn't make sense to me
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote:These darn kids with their hip things. Get of my lawn!

Hehe, I just realized we are talking like old people not keeping up with the current age. ;-)
I must be the least hip teenager there is. My week's highlight has been discovering the Beatles YouTube page and listening to Eleanor Rigby for the first time (one of the few remaining Beatles tunes I hadn't heard (what a great song!)) Actually the Beatles are still the coolest band ever, so maybe I am hip :)

If you haven't checked out the channel you should, it's super cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBeatlesVEVO
JurorNo.2 wrote:Um well...http://www.indiewire.com/2012/05/robert ... th-110113/
"I've provided whole carreers for other people by rejecting movies." ~ Bill Murray
Ivo Shandor wrote:I liked Avengers and especially Winter Soldier. Hated Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

Cool. I haven't seen any of those besides both Avengers films and Man of Steel. I found the first Iron Man to have too slow of a start, but I like Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow so they made it enjoyable.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By RichardLess
Sav C wrote:

I must be the least hip teenager there is. My week's highlight has been discovering the Beatles YouTube page and listening to Eleanor Rigby for the first time (one of the few remaining Beatles tunes I hadn't heard (what a great song!)) Actually the Beatles are still the coolest band ever, so maybe I am hip :)

If you haven't checked out the channel you should, it's super cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBeatlesVEVO
JurorNo.2 wrote:Um well...http://www.indiewire.com/2012/05/robert ... th-110113/
"I've provided whole carreers for other people by rejecting movies." ~ Bill Murray
Ivo Shandor wrote:I liked Avengers and especially Winter Soldier. Hated Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

Cool. I haven't seen any of those besides both Avengers films and Man of Steel. I found the first Iron Man to have too slow of a start, but I like Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow so they made it enjoyable.
Huh what a coincidence, Eleanor Rigby is my favourite Beatles song
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Really? Cool. I can't believe I had never heard it before, but better late than never :) And what a great song it is! Purely brilliant lyrics.
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:

Wow, that takes me back to middle school when I was still learning all the Beatles' songs. That was when the Anthology series was coming out.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: I must be the least hip teenager there is. My week's highlight has been discovering the Beatles YouTube page and listening to Eleanor Rigby for the first time (one of the few remaining Beatles tunes I hadn't heard (what a great song!)) Actually the Beatles are still the coolest band ever, so maybe I am hip :)
Wow, that takes me back to middle school when I was still learning all the Beatles' songs. That was when the Anthology series was coming out.
They've been my favorite band since as long as I can remember, honestly I was surprised to find that there were songs I had missed. It's a pleasant surprise though, always nice to discover a new song. I haven't watched the anthology in a long time, but was planning on seeing it again soon.

It was cool seeing the films of them on the YouTube channel, as I didn't realize that they were making music videos (not that that's what they were called back then) in the sixties. Of course Penny Lane had one since it was part of Magical Mystery Tour, but it was kinda shocking to see one for A Day in the Life (with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards!) The double exposures were impressive enough to inspire me to try to make one myself:
https://vimeo.com/180051603
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
They've been my favorite band since as long as I can remember, honestly I was surprised to find that there were songs I had missed. It's a pleasant surprise though, always nice to discover a new song. I haven't watched the anthology in a long time, but was planning on seeing it again soon.

It was cool seeing the films of them on the YouTube channel, as I didn't realize that they were making music videos (not that that's what they were called back then) in the sixties. Of course Penny Lane had one since it was part of Magical Mystery Tour, but it was kinda shocking to see one for A Day in the Life (with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards!) The double exposures were impressive enough to inspire me to try to make one myself:
https://vimeo.com/180051603
Oh Penny Lane came out as a single before Magical Mystery Tour (I know it's also on the soundtrack album). It had a video (or "promotional film") because the Beatles had given up touring and it was a practical way to stay in the public's consciousness.

Nice video, I can see the Day in the Life influence!
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:Oh Penny Lane came out as a single before Magical Mystery Tour (I know it's also on the soundtrack album). It had a video (or "promotional film") because the Beatles had given up touring and it was a practical way to stay in the public's consciousness.
OK, that makes sense. It looks like it was the B-side to Strawberry Fields, which also got a promo film. There's some catching up I need to do, since I figured all of their singles were on Past Masters.
Nice video, I can see the Day in the Life influence!
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:There's some catching up I need to do, since I figured all of their singles were on Past Masters.
Oh yeah, that's right, I do remember people wondering why Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane weren't on Past Masters!

Oh, and you can also see Monkee Mike Nesmith in the Day in the Life film.
Sav C, MonaLS liked this
By Sav C
Cool, I recognize the Monkee's songs, but the only Monkee I recognize is Peter Tork, since he was in an episode of Wings (trying to purchase the car in an auction, but Helen kept bidding against him.)
MonaLS liked this
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:Cool, I recognize the Monkee's songs, but the only Monkee I recognize is Peter Tork, since he was in an episode of Wings (trying to purchase the car in an auction, but Helen kept bidding against him.)
Here's a link describing the times the Beatles and Monkees were seen together: http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/03/28/the- ... ightbox/4/
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 28th, 2016, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonaLS liked this
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote:Cool, I recognize the Monkee's songs, but the only Monkee I recognize is Peter Tork, since he was in an episode of Wings (trying to purchase the car in an auction, but Helen kept bidding against him.)
Here's a link describing the times the Beatles and Monkees were seen together: http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/03/28/the- ... ightbox/4/
Cool stuff! This quote was really nice:
Mike Nesmith: “Do you think we’re a cheap imitation of the Beatles, your movies and your records?”
John Lennon: “I think you’re the greatest comic talents since the Marx Brothers. I’ve never missed one of your programs.”

Here's the clip I was telling you about:
JurorNo.2, MonaLS liked this
By Ivo Shandor
I'm not a huge Beatles fan, I only have 3 Beatles songs on my 2500+ song playlist.

#3 - With a Little Help from my Friends.
#2 - Twist and Shout.

and, my favorite Beatles song...

#1 - Penny Lane.

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]