Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Paco
It is without question that media exhibits a massive influence on our culture as well as legislation. However, it is a two-way street and legislation can also influence media. Given the current climate, and as well as what the Sony emails revealed, would it be correct to say that the film's production was largely the result of bigger forces at work?

PLEASE NOTE, I am not affiliated with any group nor a conspiracy theorist.
By JonXCTrack
I guess it depends on what you mean by "larger forces." Do I think that the Obama administration mandated that this movie be made? No. I think that this was an ill conceived concept by Amy Pascal and Paul Feig who are very left wing and were letting their political views cloud their judgment about what a majority of people, particularly ghostbusters fans, wanted to see.
timeware liked this
By SpaceBallz
I'm not even sure why this is still a discussion, it's been settled that Feig used GB to push for more female-lead films and is pro-Hilary. And everybody against the GB reboot are Trump supporters, apparently.
By JurorNo.2
SpaceBallz wrote: And everybody against the GB reboot are Trump supporters, apparently.
No, just the ones who thought Milo was cool for calling a black woman "barely literate." And what a coincidence that his organization is now working for Trump. ;)
MightyAni, zeta otaku liked this
By Scum
JurorNo.2 wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote: And everybody against the GB reboot are Trump supporters, apparently.
No, just the ones who thought Milo was cool for calling a black woman "barely literate." And what a coincidence that his organization is now working for Trump. ;)
What difference does it make if she's black, white or blue? Milo has been a Trump supporter for far longer than he attacked Ghostbusters, so there's no coincidence there.

If you follow Leslie's Twitter, she comes across as being "barely literate." It's not racist to call someone out for horrible grammar.
SpaceBallz wrote:I'm not even sure why this is still a discussion, it's been settled that Feig used GB to push for more female-lead films and is pro-Hilary. And everybody against the GB reboot are Trump supporters, apparently.

Furthermore, you can probably count "conservatives in Hollywood" on one hand missing two fingers. Hollywood is run by liberals and has been for a very long time.
savintheday liked this
By JurorNo.2
At first I thought it was at least good that Milo spoke out against political correctness. But he doesn't debate with people, he just insults because he knows it will gets his base to cheer. It's not what we need right now.
By JurorNo.2
Roeper, buddy...I just enjoyed the movie. Period. Not everyone who enjoyed the movie is an unconscious feminazi, lol. Man, you can't make this stuff up...

The people I've talked to in real life just told me it was fun; it was a silly comedy. Nothing about women at all. And they're bewildered that this movie was attacked so much.

And while certainly Roeper was under no obligation to like the movie, he was a bit tone deaf to jump on the hate bandwagon. This movie (and certainly the actresses) has already suffered enough for the mere crime of existing. He became a hero for some very scary people online, and I doubt that's what he had in mind. And it's a little disappointing that his review, at times, wasn't much more articulate than the trolls online. "Bad acting"? "Dreck"? That's not a writing sample I'd want to take to any interview. ;)

And yes, I'm sorry he was attacked. I'm sorry for EVERYONE who was attacked over this movie, whether they enjoyed it or not. Though I will point out, Roeper wasn't the one who had his website hacked.
zeta otaku, Alphagaia liked this
By BatDan
But Juror, you can't dismiss the fact. that the 'interwebs' has become so weird with this topic. People like Roeper and James Rolfe may not have been hacked (who knows maybe they were, they just wished to stay quiet and not run to the press) , they were met with about the same high level of hate and death threats for simply not giving into the hype train. But it was rushed under the rug and didnt become click bait because well..reasons.
By JurorNo.2
BatDan wrote:But Juror, you can't dismiss the fact. that the 'interwebs' has become so weird with this topic. People like Roeper and James Rolfe may not have been hacked (who knows maybe they were, they just wished to stay quiet and not run to the press) , they were met with about the same high level of hate and death threats for simply not giving into the hype train. But it was rushed under the rug and didnt become click bait because well..reasons.
"Run to the press"? You mean snitch on her bullies? Heck, Roeper is "running to the press" here by claiming anyone who disagreed with him about a movie must be an unconscious feminist! Nothing about this interview says "staying quiet."

And what hype train? There was no hype train for this movie. There was either "Well, I'll give it a shot!" or "This abomination is an absolute disgrace to my beloved childhood!" And anyone who questioned the latter was downright crucified online.

Suicide Squad had a hype train (and we've seen what that's worth, heh).

I said I'm sorry for everyone who was attacked. Nothing was dismissed. But I won't agree that others have had it as bad as Jones (and that includes Feig and the other GB actresses). Jones is a woman, she's a minority, she's a big girl, and she's outspoken. Trolls are notorious for targeting all of these things, particularly the last two. Anything their twisted minds consider to be a weakness, something to mock. And if anyone who fits that description dares to be happy or successful, trolls immediately jump on them, without mercy. We all know this.
zeta otaku liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:And what hype train? There was no hype train for this movie. There was either "Well, I'll give it a shot!" or "This abomination is an absolute disgrace to my beloved childhood!" And anyone who questioned the latter was downright crucified online.
Come on Juror, are you really going to pretend the whole "You either support this movie or you're a basement dwelling misogynist" thing didn't happen? I could dig up a hundred articles and blogs from the lead up to the film pushing that. Hell, I could probably find that many attacking James Rolfe alone and all he said was that he wasnt interested in the film because he didn't like the trailer. "Manbaby hates women Ghostbusters" was literally at one point the top story on the main news site all the way here in Australia! He was getting personal insults from celebrities. Even Paul Feig got in there.
From the day the movie was announced and many fans hated the idea of a remake/reboot they were slandered as woman hating misogynists. The ironic thing being that it was that that actually attracted the real women hating misogynist trolls to GB as something to rally around.

Yes, there was a lot of hate thrown at defenders of the film, but there was as much hate thrown at anyone who dared criticise it or dared downvote the trailer because they simply thought it looked bad. I could put up my Google Plus or Discus posting histories and show some of the crazy amounts of hate replies I personally got for simply commenting that I didn't find the trailer funny and that I hated the tone. The only difference is that Feig and co were on board with that hate train.
By JurorNo.2
Commander_Jim wrote: Come on Juror, are you really going to pretend the whole "You either support this movie or you're a basement dwelling misogynist" thing didn't happen?
I saw it happen to people who were being rude and immature about this movie. You could easily spot them a mile away. But for some reason, every time they were called out for it, the ones who weren't being rude and immature decided to feel insulted on their behalf. As though all the fans were somehow being insulted, which I never felt was the case. That's my pov anyway.

If you were singled out, it could very well have been that people were just sick of the negativity dominating everything. No other movie this summer was attacked as much as GB16, even though many deserved it far more. It did become insane.

Not at all saying you deserved it. Just saying you likely got caught in the cross fire.
Alphagaia, zeta otaku, Sav C liked this
Im not suggesting that the level of hate directed at the film wasnt ridiculous, because it was. And still is. It would be ridiculous for any movie. Just pointing out that it definitely went both ways.
I've been a fan of James Rolfe in particular for years because we seem to have grown up at the same time and have near identical interests in movies and retro things and I know he's a genuine die hard GB fan, so when he rationally and politely stated his reasons for not being behind the film, because he didnt want a reboot and because he didnt like the trailer, giving reasons that echoed my thoughts exactly (nothing to do with starring women) and then half the internet, mainstream media and celebrities attacked him, insulted him, made accusations against him (and even some went as low as making insults about his disabled child), some of the stuff shared on Twitter by the movies director, than its impossible not to feel that the same is being leveled at all fans who shared the same opinions, not just the actual trolls.
My review posted on here answers your question. In it I mention that both Amy Pascal and Paul Feig had different reasons for a female lead movie. What brought them together was agreeing the new movie had to have female leads. Any political aspect came first before an idea of what the movie should actually be about was decided on. In this regard the creation of the movies wasn't natural and was the result of meddling by people in authority. Mundane Matt on his YT channel was harsh in what he said but kind of true that at least Pascal is in a position where "she can't hurt anyone else". Exaggeration yes but unfortunately the damage was already done before she stepped down. Now we don't know what's going to happen with the franchise.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]