Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By tylergfoster
Some updates for the OP:

FYI, I write for a Blu-ray review website called DVDTalk and I was on a Ghostbusters podcast to talk about this release, so I did some follow-up on the press release. Here are some things worth knowing:
  • The forum post stating there is a cast commentary is, sadly, incorrect. The two commentaries feature 1) Paul Feig and Katie Dippold and 2) Paul Feig, producer Jessie Henderson, visual effects supervisor Peter G. Travers, special effects supervisor Mark Hawker, and production designer Jefferson Sage
  • The press release states, and it was confirmed that not only are there 11 extended/alternate scenes on the disc and 4 deleted scenes, but there will be an hour of additional deleted scenes viewable online if you redeem the digital copy on iTunes, Vudu, or the new Fandango/Comcast platform. This is interesting not just because it's more deleted content, but the original 116m cut + 18m of deleted scenes + 60m of deleted scenes is getting close to the four hours Feig said the first rough cut clocked in at. If the stuff on the disc is roughly 35m then that's almost right on
  • Supposedly, the extended cut features the frame-breaking effects from the 3D version, possibly because the EC is not available in 3D
  • The standard-def DVD does not include the EC, just the TC.
Here is a more organized and accurate rundown of the extras:
• Filmmaker Commentary (Paul Feig and Katie Dippold)
• Technical Commentary (Paul Feig, producer Jessie Henderson, visual effects supervisor Peter G. Travers, special effects supervisor Mark Hawker, and production designer Jefferson Sage)
• 11 Extended & Alternate Scenes
• 4 Deleted Scenes
• Gag Reel 1
• Gag Reel 2
• Line-O-Rama
- "Holtzmann Gone Wild"
- "The Patty Show"
- "Kevin Unleashed"
- "The Bird"
- "Jokes-a-Plenty" Free-For-All
• Featurettes
- "Meet the Team"
- "Visual Effects: 30 Years Later"
- "The Ghosts of Ghostbusters"
- "Chris Hemsworth is Kevin"
- "Slime Time"
• Photo Gallery
Alphagaia, Troy liked this
By Alphagaia
droidguy1119 wrote: [*]The press release states, and it was confirmed that not only are there 11 extended/alternate scenes on the disc and 4 deleted scenes, but there will be an hour of additional deleted scenes viewable online if you redeem the digital copy on iTunes, Vudu, or the new Fandango/Comcast platform. This is interesting not just because it's more deleted content, but the original 116m cut + 18m of deleted scenes + 60m of deleted scenes is getting close to the four hours Feig said the first rough cut clocked in at. If the stuff on the disc is roughly 35m then that's almost right on.
This would be awesome and super interesting, not only for GBfans but for film fans in general to see so much scenes and takes are 'lost' in editing and how much you shoot before you edit and place your movie. They are cut for a reason, so I don't expect it all to be enjoyable, but it's bound to give more back story.

So how does it work? You have to buy the digital copy at the aforementioned sites, or do you get a code you can redeem there?

A commentary focussed on the effects is just awesome for me as well.
By Sav C
They come with the redeem code. Sony was offering a promotion where you could get a free Bluray by submitting five different codes, so I wanted to register both Ghostbusters I & II twice, as I have the DVD and Bluray for both, but could only find one code (there was none with the DVDs, and the Bluray only had one for the first film.)

All of the other eligible codes were for new discs I didn't have.
By Kingpin
Alphagaia wrote:Wait, why is this bad? Do you not get a code to redeem wherever you buy your copy?
It's kinda bad if it's something only US buyers/viewers can take part in, and/or if it's something only applicable to people who buy the bluray version, and not available to those who still buy films on DVD.

If it's open to the whole world, and both the Bluray and the DVD markets, then that will improve my impression considerably.
By timeware
For those that bought the video game bundle that offered the movie do they offer special features along with the download or is it just the stand alone movie?
By tylergfoster
I don't know about the video game bundle, but yes, both the 4K/3D/BD and BD editions should come with a Digital HD code inside the case for free. Pretty much every new release Blu-ray from a major studio includes them, but many people prefer physical over digital when it comes to home video, so they don't really notice.

Digital codes are region-specific because sometimes different companies control the digital rights to a film in different territories, but the domestic release wherever someone lives, if it comes with a code, will have a code designed to be redeemable in their area.

As for the DVD user, they do get a little screwed, but it also sort of feels like, wouldn't they rather buy the digital first? Then they get the EC and the hour of deleted scenes. DVD, you only get the TC. Still, to get most of the extras -- and those folks still don't get everything -- they'd have to buy the DVD and the digital at minimum.
By GBfan_CH
droidguy1119 wrote:I don't know about the video game bundle, but yes, both the 4K/3D/BD and BD editions should come with a Digital HD code inside the case for free. Pretty much every new release Blu-ray from a major studio includes them, but many people prefer physical over digital when it comes to home video, so they don't really notice.
This.

I'm definitely going to buy this because I'm a completest, but I'm having a very hard time coming to terms with having to pay £15 for a bluray then another £14 for a digital copy. It feels very 2005.
By Alphagaia
I'm still confused: droidguy1119 says the digital code is included in the physical copy, but you say he is right but you have to buy the digital copy as well?

Does anyone have a link with some proof about how this is handled instead of their own past experience?
By Sav C
The digital copy is included with your purchase. My copy of the 2014 Ghostbusters Bluray release included a slip of paper with a code printed on it and instructions to redeem the film. Sorry no link, but I hope that helps.
Alphagaia liked this
By tylergfoster
GBfan_CH wrote:I'm definitely going to buy this because I'm a completest, but I'm having a very hard time coming to terms with having to pay £15 for a bluray then another £14 for a digital copy. It feels very 2005.
Did you misread my post? Both Blu-rays WILL come with a free code for the Digital Copy.

Only the SD-DVD consumer gets no code, so if they want MOST of the extras, they'd have to have the DVD (comes with the commentaries, one of the line-o-ramas, and three of the featurettes) and the digital (extended cut, and the online deleted scenes -- DVD contains no on-disc deleted scenes).
By GBfan_CH
Aw shucks there's the pessimist in me again. Couldn't find confirmation on the Amazon link and assumed the worst! :blush:

Well then now I have more money for sweet ATC merchandise. If I can only find any in the UK...
By pferreira1983
Splitting extras between blu-ray and digital streaming sites? Reminds me of Star Trek: Into the Darkness. Or will the digital content be viewable on something that isn't ITunes? I'm a Flixster guy. :mrgreen:
By tylergfoster
pferreira1983 wrote:
droidguy1119 wrote:iTunes, VUDU, and the Fandango/Comcast service.
What happens to people who don't have one of those? :shock:
Technically, you're out of luck, but Vudu is free to register and use, and you can use the free UV code included in the Blu-ray case to get the movie on the Vudu service for free.
By pferreira1983
droidguy1119 wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:What happens to people who don't have one of those? :shock:
Technically, you're out of luck, but Vudu is free to register and use, and you can use the free UV code included in the Blu-ray case to get the movie on the Vudu service for free.
With UV codes I normally redeem the movie through Flixster. Maybe I will eventually need to join another free service since they're splitting up blu-ray extras so much nowadays.
By mrmichaelt
Alphagaia wrote:Us dutchies have to wait till December if bol.com is to believed. I wish I had a region free blu-ray player! (Or is my ps3 region free?)
It's been awhile so don't fully believe me without looking it up but I think it's the games that are region free but you need to hook it to an HDTV -- because the North America and Japan versions used the NTSC aka 480i and Europe uses PAL aka 576i. So in a nutshell, the US PS3 couldn't handle the extra 96 lines of imaging. But all PS3 titles support 720p, so buy an HDTV solves the problem.

Movies are still region locked (so a US movie can't play on a European PS3) unless you get a region free version like the Zavvi steelbook.
Alphagaia liked this
By Skyknight
December, 5th in Germany, or I could get it from the UK on November, 21st. UK is technically Europe so it should run on a german PS3, right?
My tv is only HD ready, so I won't need the 4k or 3D version. So I guess the regular 2-Discs blu-ray is the way to go?

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]