Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By MagicPrime
So are they trying to stand on their own? or ride the coattails of Ghostbusters? Because that quote and that synopsis seems like the latter. Out of all the quotes and reviews that the movie had -- that is the one the marketing guru's decide to slap on the box?
deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
savintheday wrote:That certified fresh stamp...how desperate.

Well, I'm sure Sony paid good money for all those lukewarm reviews, so.
To throw some positive mood slime around here:

How about imdb votes that generate a median of 7?

But as this was already discussed with Richardless and he agreed a lot of regular people gave the movie a 7+ why are you just rehashing that old gripe again?

Also, regarding the 'desperate fresh rating': a lot of well received movies use that, as you can see here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=42216&p=4879058#p4879058
Last edited by Alphagaia on August 30th, 2016, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, MightyAni liked this
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:So are they trying to stand on their own? or ride the coattails of Ghostbusters? Because that quote and that synopsis seems like the latter. Out of all the quotes and reviews that the movie had -- that is the one the marketing guru's decide to slap on the box?
Probably trying to reassure fans who are still hyperventilating that their favorite movies have been "erased."
Kingpin, MightyAni liked this
By featofstrength
Alphagaia wrote:
To throw some positive mood slime around here:
So I'm not the only one that thinks Kristen looks exceptionally hot in all the promo images?
I was afraid to say anything because of the sexism thing leaning so far the other way, but daaayum!
"Make em hard!"
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2, AppleIsleBuster and 3 others liked this
By SpaceBallz
I did laugh at the "certified fresh on rotten tomatoes" logo on the front of the cover. I don't think I've ever seen that on a DVD before.

They should have just went with this:

Here, I fixed it:

Last edited by SpaceBallz on August 30th, 2016, 8:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
savintheday, deadderek, Commander_Jim and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Looks like I have to repost this about the user ratings. It explains the user votes from IMDb instead of RT but I think the same rules apply.

You should delve a bit deeper in the numbers behind that outcome of 5.5/10.
It has a median of 7 for instance.

Look how many people voted a 10 or a 1. Both are considered biased votes in my opinion: I think if we remove those from the equation we can get a much more fair number.

All of a sudden the number 6,7,8 stand out in the reviews, with even the 9 having more percentage then the negative votes.

MightyAni liked this
By Alphagaia
savintheday wrote:Blah blah blah. RT has Spaceballs at 54%. There goes their credentials. They wouldn't know a fresh tomato if I hit them in the temple with it.
The example I used are from user votes, not reviews from critics.

(And RT just combines critic reviews into a percentage. It does not create the reviews.)

Bottom line, both audience and critics liked the movie.
JurorNo.2, MightyAni liked this
By savintheday
I'm just saying that these scores really don't mean anything to most people. It's just funny that they're toting that mediocre score on the damn cover.

It's like if your kid comes home with a C and you frame it on the wall like a trophy.

Paulie got a C in classic film adaptations! Atta boy! Who wants ice cream?
Last edited by savintheday on August 30th, 2016, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By JurorNo.2
savintheday wrote:I'm just saying that these scores really don't mean anything to most people. It's just funny that they're toting that mediocre score on the damn cover.

It's like if your kid comes home with a C- and you frame it on the wall like a trophy.
When most of your classmates got an F, that C- starts looking pretty good. ;)

Come on, you've seen Summer School!
By JurorNo.2
I only got C's in Handwriting. And then, you know, I learned how to type. :eyeroll:
By Alphagaia
savintheday wrote:I'm just saying that these scores really don't mean anything to most people.
Which is why I showed you the user votes. They agree with the critics the movie earned it's fresh certificate, which quite a lot of other well received movies have on their DVD covers as well.

I had the same conversation with featofstrength and he agreed it even his favorites (Mad Max, Creed) have them.
By savintheday
You don't need charts and graphs to tell good art from bad art.

From the looks of certain other stats, more people had the good sense to stay far away from that section of the theater.
Last edited by savintheday on August 30th, 2016, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
savintheday wrote:You don't need charts and graphs to tell good art from bad art.
I couldn't agree more.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 30th, 2016, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JurorNo.2
savintheday wrote: From the looks of certain other stats, more people had the good sense to stay far away from that section of the theater.
Or they just didn't like a trailer and therefore missed out.

It is bothering you guys waaaay too much that some people actually liked this movie. Move on. Take up a real cause in life.
By savintheday
I don't really care that much. We all find amusement in different things. No harm, no foul.

Speaking of which...SpaceBallz, you're slaying me over here. :crunch:
SpaceBallz liked this
By deadderek
The cover is mediocre is fitting for a mediocre movie. I agree with the fact that putting that RT rating on it comes off as sheer desperation.
MagicPrime liked this
By Commander_Jim
Lol, oh Sony, this endless run of fails is just comical at this point. That looks like fan art with bad photoshop. And that Rotten Tomatoes endorsement.. Oh dear. The posters few the film were actually pretty good, why not just use one of them? I mean, wouldn't this look better:

deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Guys, stick to critiquing the movie. The sticker thing isn't helping you.
Alphagaia liked this
By savintheday
Thank goodness for those stickers, or else people would have to actually form their own opinions.

Meta ratings are meaningless, and in the case of Feigbusters, it's just comical that they put it on there like it's some kind of accolade.

Very colorful covers though. Should brighten up that bargain bin at walmart nicely.
By JurorNo.2
We don't form our own opinions in a vacuum. We look to the opinions of others on many issues in life. Especially when they have some proven expertise in a field. No one can do it alone. That doesn't mean you don't make the final decision yourself.

Seriously, the sticker defense isn't helping you guys.

Critics are tired of action schlock. GB16, like the humor or not, emphasized dialogue and chemistry over explosions and fight scenes. It's not more complicated than that.

And I try to never visit Wal-Mart...ever. But I think you know their bargain bin is for any and all movies. ;)
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:We don't form our own opinions in a vacuum. We look to the opinions of others on many issues in life. Especially when they have some proven expertise in a field. No one can do it alone. That doesn't mean you don't make the final decision yourself.

Seriously, the sticker defense isn't helping you guys.

Critics are tired of action schlock. GB16, like the humor or not, emphasized dialogue and chemistry over explosions and fight scenes. It's not more complicated than that.

And I try to never visit Wal-Mart...ever. But I think you know their bargain bin is for any and all movies. ;)
But by that logic shouldn't we be going by the "Top Critics" rating, rather than the open rating?

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]