Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
scythemantis wrote:I can't believe there are still those among you who think the 2016 film was "cringeworthy" or "groanworthy" when its humor is exactly on par with the originals.
Alphagaia wrote:Can we please stop being dicks to each other because of different opinions?
Nah. Look, why'd he have to chime in like that? It's not like someone said they were gonna take away his "Last Week with John Oliver."

I'm just as tired of your abrasive, one-sided peace pleas as you are of Boot-bashin, Alph. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Patience, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they make you a mod around here.

And timer start for how long it takes for Alph and #2 to "dislike" this post... :love:
Last edited by featofstrength on October 12th, 2016, 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JurorNo.2 wrote:You guys defend GBII, but you haven't a clue what it's about.
"Clue?" "Ghostbusters 2" sucks, but is totally funnier than "Clue."

But neither are as funny as "Without a Clue," which is also funnier than the "G-boot."

Should we still be prefacing comments with "IMO" with hopes that people won't get all bent out of shape?
Raystantz Italy liked this
featofstrength wrote:Nah. Look, why'd he have to chime in like that? It's not like someone said they were gonna take away his "Last Week with John Oliver."

I'm just as tired of your abrasive, one-sided peace pleas as you are of Boot-bashin, Alph. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Patience, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they make you a mod around here.
How dare you. We need more sanctimonious thought-policing to make the world a better place! You're doing God's work, Alpha!
JurorNo.2 wrote:You guys defend GBII, but you haven't a clue what it's about.
Wut?
Sav C wrote:
savintheday wrote: Wut?
It's all about being positive and kind to one another, which many don't seem to be able to do.
So just leave a bunch of "dislikes" and move on, right chum? I wasn't being serious above, but I do know people get quite defensive about "Clue" for some reason.
featofstrength wrote:
Sav C wrote: It's all about being positive and kind to one another, which many don't seem to be able to do.
So just leave a bunch of "dislikes" and move on, right chum? I wasn't being serious above, but I do know people get quite defensive about "Clue" for some reason.
Didn't realize you weren't being serious, so I removed the dislike. Haven't seen Clue.
Last edited by Sav C on October 12th, 2016, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
Didn't realize you weren't being serious, so I removed the dislike. Haven't seen Clue.
I was being lighthearted...i do actually believe in my equation.

You should see both Clue and Without a Clue.

I think Clue is a great twist on the murder-mystery, but the usually stellar cast is way too subdued. Tone and Pacing just don't work. Not funny...I know, "how can you say that about Tim Curry and Madeline Khan?"It's only got a cult following because it was a flop that got picked up cheap an run a billion times on cable.

Without a Clue is a great twist on Sherlock Holmes. Also has pacing issues, flat comedy, but Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley are pretty good.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:I hate political correctness when it makes people terrified to speak (never helpful in a democracy). Or when it tries to retroactively declare 80s movies "bigoted" just because some latter day millennial* is too young to comprehend humor.
I've never seen a movie accused of racism without a reason.
Basically from what I've gathered here is you've seen one show where they made fun of something you like and that offended you. You're description of the show couldn't be further from the truth and South Park has made a point to make light of all aspects of our society. Political correctness is good, but it can also be abused. The grouping of all ghostbusters 2016 haters as sexist trolls is proof of that.
No, even when South Park takes stances I agree with - and it does so quite often - it feels embarrassing by association. Like I said, no nuance.
scythemantis wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:I hate political correctness when it makes people terrified to speak (never helpful in a democracy). Or when it tries to retroactively declare 80s movies "bigoted" just because some latter day millennial* is too young to comprehend humor.
I've never seen a movie accused of racism without a reason.
Accusers always have a reason. Doesn't mean it's founded.
featofstrength wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Can we please stop being dicks to each other because of different opinions?
Nah. Look, why'd he have to chime in like that? It's not like someone said they were gonna take away his "Last Week with John Oliver."

I'm just as tired of your abrasive, one-sided peace pleas as you are of Boot-bashin, Alph.
One-sided? My 'stop being dicks' plea includes his remark as well. You guys are offended by his remark and ridicule him for it, but it's a vicious circle both sides are responsible for and keeping intact by trying to bait each other.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
featofstrength wrote:

I'm just as tired of your abrasive, one-sided peace pleas as you are of Boot-bashin, Alph.
One-sided? My 'stop being dicks' plea includes his remark as well. You guys are offended by his remark and ridicule him for it, but it's a vicious circle both sides are responsible for and keeping intact by trying to bait each other.
Funny thing is, neither party had yet stooped as low as labeling anyone "dicks" before you felt it your place to open your yap and "intervene."

scythemantis wrote: No, even when South Park takes stances I agree with - and it does so quite often - it feels embarrassing by association. Like I said, no nuance.
So, what is a better-balanced and more nuanced comedy series that incorporates current events and socio-political commentary into its storytelling?
Last edited by featofstrength on October 12th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahhhh, the old "you're just not smart enough to get it."

Maybe you're just not mentally mature enough to recognize how cheap and obvious every joke has been on South Park for fifteen years now? I'm not talking about being "offended," just that it isn't good commentary on anything. At all. It's pandering, broken commentary feeding juvenile right-wingers exactly what they want to hear.

However, if you're gonna go there, the show has needlessly punched down plenty of times too. There is no value or virtue in "making fun of everyone equally" when it means you're throwing race under the same bus as racism. How is that anything but trite? What's there to laugh at?
So, what is a better-balanced and more nuanced comedy series that incorporates current events and socio-political commentary into its storytelling?
There are none, but that doesn't mean South Park is "good" at it. Satire has been dead for decades. Nobody in television or Hollywood even understands the meaning of the word.
Last edited by scythemantis on October 12th, 2016, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
featofstrength wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
Funny thing is, neither party had yet stooped as low as labeling anyone "dicks" before you felt it your place to open your yap and "intervene."
We have created an environment where remarks and post are worded in a certain way in hopes of baiting the other group to respond by going over the border. In a way, me calling both groups to stop acting like dicks is an example of crossing a line and I'm sorry if that offends, but I feel the need to put the finger where it hurts so people understand what is the actual problem here. This passive aggressive tone needs to stop. We can wait until a mod does it, or act upon it ourselves and stop the baiting.
Last edited by Alphagaia on October 12th, 2016, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
Well you're obviously missing something. 20 years of viewership might tell ya they've been doing something right. It's had ups and downs for sure. Vulgar and juvenile for the sake of it, ok. But you'd have to be ignorant to say there's no nuance. It's served as a brilliant social commentary for years and is still going strong.

Satire lives. South Park is funny. Get over it.

scythemantis wrote:If you define brilliant social commentary as commentary any middle schooler comes up with after reading too much Ayn Rand, I guess :p
It's true I've never once seen them rip into republicans or conservatives. Also no democrat has ever liked South Park. (The first two sentences are sarcasm, if they didn't come across as that.). You can say you don't think it's funny and that's fine. Everyone has their own taste in humor. I'm sure if you think the 2016 is on par with the 1984 Ghostbusters movie I probably don't like a lot of stuff you think is funny. My problem is you shouldn't be on such a high horse because of your political beliefs. If you're so much better than Republicans you sure dont look it by being condescending to them. And no I'm not neccesarrily a republican, I'm some where in the middle and no I don't like Donald Trump, but I'm not going to give people crap who do because they're good people too even though I may disagree with them.
Last edited by weepel on October 13th, 2016, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
featofstrength wrote:I'm just as tired of your abrasive, one-sided peace pleas as you are of Boot-bashin, Alph. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
May I suggest using the "Add Foe" option in his profile? That should hide all of his posts from your view.
featofstrength wrote:Patience, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they make you a mod around here.
Classy. For what it's worth, I've no idea if AJ has even thought about adding any more moderators to the board at all recently.
featofstrength wrote:but I do know people get quite defensive about "Clue" for some reason.
It's a brilliant film, what's not to like about it?
scythemantis wrote:I've never seen a movie accused of racism without a reason.
There may be some examples, Clint Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers comes to mind, where Spike Lee got himself into a public spat over his feeling that Eastwood had opted out of including the black marines and soldiers who'd fought on Iwo Jima (though Wikipedia notes that there are black personnel present during the mission outlining, during the initial landings, and in historical photographs shown during the end credits). The hatchet between the two directors was eventually buried, and there's some speculation that Lee might have even stirred things up to promote his own war film at the time.

So while there may be a reason behind the accusation, it doesn't always mean it's founded on a solid foundation.
featofstrength wrote:Funny thing is, neither party had yet stooped as low as labeling anyone "dicks" before you felt it your place to open your yap and "intervene."
I and others were at one point accused of either being "Sony plants", or at the very least of being on their payrole. It seems a strange set of circumstances that being called a "dick" is what's considered below the belt, but few people (beyond the accused) batted an eyelid when other members were freely and hysterically accusing members of this forum of being Sony shills.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
scythemantis wrote:If you define brilliant social commentary as commentary any middle schooler comes up with after reading too much Ayn Rand, I guess :p
Well I give up, fella. South Park isn't for you then. I think they have all seasons of "How I Met Your Mother" on hulu. Knock yourself out.
weepel wrote: It's true I've never once seen them rip into republicans or conservatives.
JurorNo.2 wrote:They've definitely made fun of conservatives. That whole "They took yer job!" Episode for instance.
"But Parker rejects the “South Park Conservative” label — as well as the notion that he can only choose between liberal and conservative. In an interview with In Focus magazine (October 4, 2004), he said, “What we’re sick of — and it’s getting even worse — is: You either like Michael Moore or you wanna f**kin’ go overseas and shoot Iraqis. We find just as many things to rip on the left as we do on the right. People on the far-left and the far-right are the same exact person to us.”

And besides they already tackled the one dems-on-republicans joke brilliantly:

Kingpin wrote:
featofstrength wrote:I'm just as tired of your abrasive, one-sided peace pleas as you are of Boot-bashin, Alph. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
May I suggest using the "Add Foe" option in his profile? That should hide all of his posts from your view.
Does that mean anyone can do that, or just me? I mean, you wouldn't just be taking sides and singling people out again based on your own...no...I mean, you're an moderator after all....nevermind.
JurorNo.2, savintheday liked this

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo f[…]

@GBfan77 No when I turn it off it still keeps firi[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]