Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Alphagaia wrote:Feig is right in that interview. Nowadays everything gets thrown on the internet and he rather has it all being a big secret just like how it used to be in the 80's.
Devil's advocate. No, I want to know everything about this movie in the next year. I don't want to still be learning new things about this movie when I'm a senior citizen 40 years from now. :P
JurorNo.2, devilmanozzy liked this
Doctor Venkman wrote:I haven't seen the extended cut yet, but I'm honestly kind of curious to see the 4.5 hour cut that I'm sure we'll never see.
That isn't really a cut. It's just all the footage in order.

In any case, we have a 2:10 extended cut plus an hour and 30+m of deleted/extended scenes, so that's getting pretty close to all of the footage already.
mrmichaelt wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Feig is right in that interview. Nowadays everything gets thrown on the internet and he rather has it all being a big secret just like how it used to be in the 80's.
Devil's advocate. No, I want to know everything about this movie in the next year. I don't want to still be learning new things about this movie when I'm a senior citizen 40 years from now. :P
You mean after the movie is out? Sure! Give me everything! But beforehand? Keep the movie a mystery.
If only Ghostbusters 2 got this Extended Cut treatment, I could die a happy man. Reitman has talked about wishing he could put stuff back in. It's one of my genie wishes, if genies were real. A ghostbusters 2 extended cut. I once had a dream where Sony announced it was happening, I've never been so angry after walking up.
Has anyone who did not like the theatrical cut seen the extended cut? How did it play for you? So far most of the scenes don't seem all that great, based on the descriptions. They replaced the anti Irish fence bit? Huh that was actually one of the few times I laughed. Is the titanic line better? Interesting that they replaced that line.
RichardLess wrote:If only Ghostbusters 2 got this Extended Cut treatment, I could die a happy man. Reitman has talked about wishing he could put stuff back in. It's one of my genie wishes, if genies were real. A ghostbusters 2 extended cut. I once had a dream where Sony announced it was happening, I've never been so angry after walking up.
One can dream. I feel your sorrow. :(
RichardLess wrote:If only Ghostbusters 2 got this Extended Cut treatment, I could die a happy man. Reitman has talked about wishing he could put stuff back in. It's one of my genie wishes, if genies were real. A ghostbusters 2 extended cut. I once had a dream where Sony announced it was happening, I've never been so angry after walking up.
Has anyone who did not like the theatrical cut seen the extended cut? How did it play for you? So far most of the scenes don't seem all that great, based on the descriptions. They replaced the anti Irish fence bit? Huh that was actually one of the few times I laughed. Is the titanic line better? Interesting that they replaced that line.
I watched it last night. There are a couple of filler scenes that I don't remember from the first one, but nothing really stood out except for the punching the guy scene (which is out of place, it's not even played for comedy really) and the dance number (which is not really that bad, actually).

The biggest glaring hole to me is still the jumbled end when the film makes a huge deal of Erin coming back, but they don't really make a big deal of her leaving so it lands super flat.

One thing I noticed on TV but no in Imax 3D is that the movie is shot weird. It's almost amateur-looking. Many of the shots look super narrow and sort of fake, even when there aren't any special effects.
Last edited by Fritz on October 15th, 2016, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added material from double post
Once I can get my hands on some editing software, I'm DEFINITELY going to make my own cut of this. While the extended cut added some neat stuff, it also replaced some scenes and lines I LOVED from the theatrical cut (the anti-Irish fence line for example).
MonaLS liked this
Demon Vice Commander wrote:Fortunately, the dance scene was surprisingly brief and not the disaster it could have been. If anything, it serves to explain why all of the soldiers are frozen in the Saturday Night Fever pose.
Yea, it was not nearly as bad as I expected.
Alphagaia liked this
Okay I've seen the extended cut now and here are my thoughts. It's better. I understand why the whole "cross the streams" element was nixed from the theatrical cut but it vastly improves the pacing of the climax.

Also the extra scenes with Rowan add a little more personality, if perhaps not enough.

Personally I prefer the Titanic gag to the anti-Irish fence. And the scene where Abby gets possessed is much better with some brief explanation of Rowan's tech and some decent slime effects.

Nosebusters is a little too anti-geek but helps explain some minor plot points so I'll accept it.

The only place this cut falls flat is the ordering of some scenes, especially at the start. Rowan's scenes go on for too long. There's too much filler gag in the opening twenty minutes. Erin didn't need a boyfriend.

They're the parts I'd remove again if I could face doing a fan edit. Those and the "fart on tape" gag.
2016 is an odd year for backlash. I wonder if in twenty year's time kids growing up will stumble across GB16 on tv and take it at face value. Same with BvS. There are probably hundreds of flicks I saw as a kid that I still don't know if anyone else has ever seen, that I love for no reason. This might be one of those. /muse
Loved the extended edition but it's a mixed bag as I swear the added more profanity. Also the eggs t's jumping out the frame is weird at times and wasn't as noticeable in cinema however the pacing is so much better. Also the movie tricked lol the crossing the streams fake out I wad like "Woah they changed the ending.... Oh it was a fake it" also more lines stood out not sure if cause second viewing and missed but

Holtzman's "he wasn't really ghostbusters material" and her Singing "come out come out wherever you are". Really cracked me up.

The profanity mentioned above though is my real flaw on extended as I watched with little nephew. He loved film but I was feeling bad him hearing as much. Personal issue though as others won't notice.

Erin and Rowan benefit most though as they feel even better. Great film still and was like watching it for first time as lots felt different.

Extras are great too watching gag reel as I type. "math hysteria" made me giggle so hard. This bluray is awesome need to watch more extras lol
Sav C, JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]