Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
scythemantis wrote:I did not expect people to hate this movie like they did.
No one expected this election year either. It's not really about a movie, it's just the general societal atmosphere. People are choosing up sides and fighting to the pathetic death.

For the record, I think the originals are that great. But it's like I've been saying, any time a movie becomes too precious to a fanbase, things are bound to get ugly. There's a fine line between fan and fanatic.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on October 28th, 2016, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By 80sguy
Raystantz Italy wrote:I have to clarify: I'm glad something from Feig flopped. This is not a Ghostbusters movie.
Except that it is. It was licensed, copyrighted and made by the people who own the rights to the franchise. It's a Ghostbusters movie. Weather you liked it or not personally is not gonna change that.
JurorNo.2, devilmanozzy, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
80sguy wrote:
Raystantz Italy wrote:I have to clarify: I'm glad something from Feig flopped. This is not a Ghostbusters movie.
It was licensed, copyrighted and made by the people who own the rights to the franchise.
Fandoms nowadays don't care anymore. They think fan service and fan approval are the only things that matter. And if anyone tells them otherwise, they throw a year long fit.
80sguy, Sav C liked this
By HunterCC
Kingpin wrote:And that's the mean spirited nature of this topic in an ugly nutshell. It's not here to be productive, informative or to really promote discussion - it's here to gloat.
The OP posited they didn't want a sequel, that the originals were perfect, the new movie stinks, and Sony should leave it alone.

What's mean spirited about that?

Is it mean spirited or gloating to say Pixels or Batman & Robin were bad?
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:People want to feel justified in their life choices. In a way both groups won: people enjoyed the movie, but it was not the financial success that was hoped. Somehow this feels like an impasse to the groups and the 'fight' continues.
Serious case of projection there. But below is what really ought to be addressed.
Alphagaia wrote:Most people have made their peace however. Even I have accepted some people will grab anything to attack the movie and only sometimes respond to one of the regular dislikers if it's just truthspinning, but we all need to understand a movie will have supporters and haters, and those are not all feminists, trolls or misogynists.
You say people need to understand a movie will have supporters and haters, and those are not all extremists either way, but just before that you take a shot at "some people" that are dislikers, and then follow up with this gem in a later post:
Alphagaia wrote:it seems on this Forum the dislikers seem to contain the actual trolls and the people getting bans for their behaviour while the likers just want to have insightful conversations
Sounds like you need to follow your own advice about movie supporters and haters, alpha.
pferreira1983 liked this
By EJLambert
HunterCC wrote: I won't keep talking about it if you don't. Cheers.

This Post Contains Spoilers
Last edited by EJLambert on October 28th, 2016, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, HunterCC, Kingpin liked this
By HunterCC
EJLambert wrote:
HunterCC wrote: I won't keep talking about it if you don't. Cheers.
This Post Contains Spoilers
LOL. Good one.

Of course, I wasn't talking to you then. I was talking to someone else who is still talking about it. :mrgreen:
EJLambert liked this
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:Believe it or not, that gem is the toxic truth.
But do you realize that you are the one doing the name calling, ascribing bad motives to the side you disagree with (that's the projection part if anyone missed it), thus creating toxicity here?
By EJLambert
HunterCC wrote:
LOL. Good one.

Of course, I wasn't talking to you then. I was talking to someone else who is still talking about it. :mrgreen:
Ah, that is how the game is played. I was unclear on the rules.

But seriously, this argument seems to going between the same 7 people. (You know who you are :lol::lol: ). Quit kicking up the dust.
By HunterCC
EJLambert wrote:Ah, that is how the game is played. I was unclear on the rules.

But seriously, this argument seems to going between the same 7 people. (You know who you are :lol::lol: ). Quit kicking up the dust.
This discussion is current, even if the movie isn't though the home realease continues.

I wouldn't call it rules, agreement of two posters to drop a topic between them is cool. But then asking someone not to join a discussion involving other people? Seems a little excessive, for lack of better term I can think of ATM.
By Alphagaia
Yeah, you are right: at it's core the discussion is still the same 'I (dis)like GB:ATC because of X'.
The superlatives are just growing bigger and bigger, and yeah while I do feel a growing group of dislikers are placing more troll posts and we feel the need to defend the movie; we are all part of this growing toxicity.
It needs to stop as ultimately it will just get more people banned.
Last edited by Alphagaia on October 29th, 2016, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Kingpin
Sav C wrote:Phantom Menace was the only prequel I liked, probably on par with Force Awakens for me.
Jar Jar Binks, midichlorians and "I'm gonna be the first to see them all!" :)
scythemantis wrote:I'm gonna be honest, GB fandom is the whiniest and most needlessly critical fandom I've ever witnessed
I think the Trekkie and Star Wars communities would have us beat.
HunterCC wrote:What's mean spirited about that?
How the OP (and others subsequently) have revelled in that failure.

And as Italy has just tastelessly demonstrated, things here are slowly turning into the Ghostbusters Community limbo competition - "how low can you go!"
Alphagaia, Sav C, ccv66 liked this
By Sav C
Kingpin wrote:
Sav C wrote:Phantom Menace was the only prequel I liked, probably on par with Force Awakens for me.
Jar Jar Binks, midichlorians and "I'm gonna be the first to see them all!" :)
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's been a while since I saw it last.
Kingpin liked this
By JurorNo.2
Phantom Menance is a kid's movie. Like it or not, it knew exactly what it wanted to be. Force Awakens, on the other hand, is an underwritten movie.
pferreira1983, Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
Sav C wrote:One thing about the Total Recall reboot is that I don't rekall any really big names in it (although I'm probably wrong,)
Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, John Cho, Bryan Cranston and Bill Nighy. Some well known people depending on what you've seen.
Kingpin wrote:
And that's the mean spirited nature of this topic in an ugly nutshell. It's not here to be productive, informative or to really promote discussion - it's here to gloat.
Maybe you should have a thread here called 'Ghostbusters ATC is fantastic!" to balance things out?
Kingpin wrote:I know The Force Awakens didn't strike far out into new territory, but it wasn't the type of film that'd "run Star Wars into the ground", that was The Phantom Menace.
Ha, ha, very funny old chap! :shock:
Raystantz Italy wrote:
I have to clarify: I'm glad something from Feig flopped. This is not a Ghostbusters movie.
That's one way of looking at it I guess. :-?
JurorNo.2 wrote:Your question was intentionally snarky. You know very well what I was saying.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By HunterCC
Kingpin wrote:How the OP (and others subsequently) have revelled in that failure.
The movie flopped. That can be said here without being accused of "reveling" about it, right?

Maybe if Phantom Menace had flopped, we would have gotten a better prequel trilogy.
By Sav C
pferreira1983 wrote:
Sav C wrote:One thing about the Total Recall reboot is that I don't rekall any really big names in it (although I'm probably wrong,)
Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, John Cho, Bryan Cranston and Bill Nighy. Some well known people depending on what you've seen.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with any of them I don't think.
By Alphagaia
HunterCC wrote:
Kingpin wrote:How the OP (and others subsequently) have revelled in that failure.
The movie flopped. That can be said here without being accused of "reveling" about it, right?

Maybe if Phantom Menace had flopped, we would have gotten a better prequel trilogy.
It's one thing to say the movie flopped. It's another to just revel in and keep mentioning it in every thread as it feels like one is doing it just to stick it to the fans of the movie which is what looks to be happening here.
Kingpin liked this
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:
HunterCC wrote:

It's one thing to say the movie flopped. It's another to just revel in and keep mentioning it in every thread as it feels like one is doing it just to stick it to the fans of the movie which is what looks to be happening here.
It's another thing in what way, alpha? Do you want this to be "a safe space" for GB16 fans? Or is free discussion allowed?

The OP stated clearly why he was glad the movie flopped, because he wants Ghostbusters to be left completely alone, and it had nothing to do with "sticking it to" GB16 fans. I'm glad that Feig and company's toxic marketing campaign failed. That's not "sticking it to" GB16 fans either. None of that should trigger any reasonable person, whether they agree or disagree with that.
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:The problem is not the complaint, the problem is just repeating the same complaint.
OK, how many times is permissible? And does this apply to every opinion of the movie? Or just the ones you disagree with?

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]