Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
Next to trolls, we also had some tinfoils dead set on (new) people being bought by Sony, simply for not dismissing the movie outright and having the ordasity to present a different possibility to how the leak can be interpreted. I just found out I was being called a shill on the Reddit as wel!
RiverOfSlime69 • 106d
I'm not sure why the Sony shills are still here. They've lost. The movie has bombed. 'Alphagaia' on GBFans is another example. Account sprang up a couple of months before the reboot was released, posting exclusively in the reboot forum, posting pro-reboot stuff and trying to debunk anything negative - a favourite of his being deliberately misinterpreting the Sony emails and claiming Ivan was happy based on the fact that Feig said Ivan went away happy (when in reality Ivan was probably unhappy but being polite)...and accusing anyone who didn't follow that interpretation of failing 'reading comprehension'. Obvious Sony plant, yet he's still posting.
Some people.
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Alphagaia wrote:Next to trolls, we also had some tinfoils dead set on (new) people being bought by Sony, simply for not dismissing the movie outright and having the ordasity to present a different possibility to how the leak can be interpreted. I just found out I was being called a shill on the Reddit as wel!
RiverOfSlime69 • 106d
I'm not sure why the Sony shills are still here. They've lost. The movie has bombed. 'Alphagaia' on GBFans is another example. Account sprang up a couple of months before the reboot was released, posting exclusively in the reboot forum, posting pro-reboot stuff and trying to debunk anything negative - a favourite of his being deliberately misinterpreting the Sony emails and claiming Ivan was happy based on the fact that Feig said Ivan went away happy (when in reality Ivan was probably unhappy but being polite)...and accusing anyone who didn't follow that interpretation of failing 'reading comprehension'. Obvious Sony plant, yet he's still posting.
Some people.
Well, look at the genius' username, lol. He's a troll and proud of it. If "shills" are his biggest problem in life, he's very fortunate...or very pathetic. :walterpeck:
By BatDan
JurorNo.2 wrote:
BatDan wrote: I will say, I'm relieved that it didn't fulfill my worst fear; for which the studios intention was for this to be a liftoff point to 'transformer-ize' or 'marvel-ize' the franchise. With a sequel or spin off every summer beating the franchise into the ground.
Well you can thank China for much of that, since they wouldn't have been any more open to a proper GB sequel. So that really has nothing to do with ATC specifically.
You're right. China wouldn't have been open to a proper GB sequel....but the rest of the world would have.
By Commander_Jim
Yeah, China is a big market now but the Chinese government only allows a small quota of foreign movies each year to be released there so the Chinese market isnt something studios can bank on since theres no guarantee of any movie being released there.
deadderek, HunterCC liked this
By deadderek
As said by the OP, Answer the Call is a Blues Brothers 2000 to the beloved franchise.

Hopefully quickly forgotten, and then we can move on to bigger and better things!
seekandannoy, HunterCC, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Hmm, according to sources which neither Sony or LCS confirms.
On top of that, is it that weird or uncommon when someone backing a film drops out? In the end, the other parties believed enough in the product to get the backing to a desirable amount.
By JurorNo.2
deadderek wrote:As said by the OP, Answer the Call is a Blues Brothers 2000 to the beloved franchise.

Hopefully quickly forgotten, and then we can move on to bigger and better things!
We've been waiting for haters to forget about the movie for quite awhile. Hasn't happened yet. ;)

Move on to what? There wasn't a BBIII.

They are apparently pitching an animated series now, several years later. They could very well try to do the same with GB. I'll definitely check out both. I just hope they're up to the haters' "high standards." No one wants yet another year of overreactions and toxicity. And to do it over a cartoon would be just plain embarrassing.
By HunterCC
timeware wrote:
Kingpin wrote:
Jar Jar Binks, midichlorians and "I'm gonna be the first to see them all!" :)

I think the Trekkie and Star Wars communities would have us beat.

How the OP (and others subsequently) have revelled in that failure.

And as Italy has just tastelessly demonstrated, things here are slowly turning into the Ghostbusters Community limbo competition - "how low can you go!"

After reading that response I just realized something they never touched in Starwars. If Qui Gon Jinn was able to determine that Anakin was a Jedi by counting his midichlorians why in the hell did they never stop to think about creating more Jedi through blood transfusion? Problem solved Lucas! It's a lot cheaper then cloning Starkiller a thousand times!

Another fun fact spell check wants to change midichlorians to Floridians and Valedictorians.

Even though they said midichlorians speak or something, I like to think they are a symptom or sign of Force awareness rather than a cause.

I really wish midichlorians would be erased from a special edition release and continuity.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By featofstrength
HunterCC wrote:
timeware wrote:

After reading that response I just realized something they never touched in Starwars. If Qui Gon Jinn was able to determine that Anakin was a Jedi by counting his midichlorians why in the hell did they never stop to think about creating more Jedi through blood transfusion? Problem solved Lucas! It's a lot cheaper then cloning Starkiller a thousand times!

Another fun fact spell check wants to change midichlorians to Floridians and Valedictorians.

Even though they said midichlorians speak or something, I like to think they are a symptom or sign of Force awareness rather than a cause.

I really wish midichlorians would be erased from a special edition release and continuity.
Ah, midichlorians...what fun it is to know not just anyone can become a Jedi! Thanks, "science!"

Still, better to know than live in denial like a Potter fan. Skip the "which house are you" Facebook quiz... You're a Muggle, Harry.

I'm glad the Ghostbusters aren't so selective. Sure the PhD helps with the tech specs, but your blue-collared, common man (and woman) is always welcome aboard!
Last edited by featofstrength on November 3rd, 2016, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, HunterCC liked this
By ParanormalTx
The new ghostbusters movie is great it lets the modern generation know what the ghosbusters are! times are changing and so are the people. Things will change, Not to mention that the franchises will never die. Sony is giving what the people want. More movies about topics that the old will remember and the new will get intrigued... Nothing is perfect so lets stay with what we got. and if you think you can do better than that then wheres your movie. leave the film making process to the pros because in the end, the actors are taking the hard work for granted. Show all busters some support!
JurorNo.2, EJLambert liked this
By timeware
I thought the movie was okay. Honestly if someone gave me a 20 grand budget I could come up with a better project. The special effects would be cheesy like Evil Dead but it would still have a better script. Return of the Ghostbusters had a smaller budget and still produced a decent film. It just depends on management and decent acting. Even ERB produces decent videos with a no budget. Heck look at how many bigfoot videos Butchy Kid produced by using one Gorilla costume!
By Alphagaia
It's a lot harder then you think.

Pretend the guy giving you the money wants some of their own idea in the movie, and you start to get an idea with more money comes more problems.

Disclaimer: I know you Ain't serious, but just wanted to put that out there.
By timeware
Thats why you beg companies like Pepsi and Coke. stick their products in the film discretely (Unlike GB2) and people shouldn't call you a sell out. Offering to put the donors names in the credits or offering them a part as an extra should revert control of the project back to you. That's one reason why people use Kickstarter now these days.
HunterCC liked this
By rockstar232007
ParanormalTx wrote:The new ghostbusters movie is great it lets the modern generation know what the ghosbusters are! times are changing and so are the people. Things will change, Not to mention that the franchises will never die. Sony is giving what the people want. More movies about topics that the old will remember and the new will get intrigued... Nothing is perfect so lets stay with what we got. and if you think you can do better than that then wheres your movie. leave the film making process to the pros because in the end, the actors are taking the hard work for granted. Show all busters some support!
I've seen fan-mad GB films, that were a million times better than the reboot. Mainly because there was no "agenda" attached to them. They were/are fun (though some of them were a little on the "cheesy" side), and focused on telling a good story, minus any societal/political agendas.

Btw, it's not the actors were not supporting. It's the whole reason why the movie was even made - to pander to both political/societal SJWs. Problem is, it totally backfired.

Btw p.2) A lot of us were "bitching and moaning" way beck when it was green-lit, and this was well before anyone knew that the cast was going to be all-female. So anyone who still believes that "misogyny" is the reason for it's poor BO performance is seriously deluded.
By JurorNo.2
rockstar232007 wrote:minus any societal/political agendas.
GB84 very much has a societal agenda: Establishment science and the government seek to control what the public knows and believes. A believer in ghosts and UFOs like Aykroyd would be very familiar with this, and frustrated by it. He often took the opportunity in Ghostbusters related interviews at the time to discuss his beliefs. That's an agenda. Plus Ramis wrote several anti establishment Hollywood movies. That's an agenda too, especially back then.

I'd wager, you're not against agendas in movies, you're against agendas you personally don't like. ;)
A lot of us were "bitching and moaning" way beck when it was green-lit,
Which is why audience ratings of this movie continue to be highly questionable.
Lee FW, JennyWeb, ccv66 and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Regarding people's reception, I'll repost this as the thread I posted this earlier got locked right after, though I believe it was not because of this (if it was I'll remove it):

I found an interesting article that kinda explains my stance on the numbers given by critics and 'fans' and why I put less trust in the many 10's and 1's the movie had gotten.
The movie isn’t even out in theaters as I’m writing this, but over 12,000 people have made their judgment. Male reviewers outnumber female reviewers nearly 5 to 1 and rate “Ghostbusters” 4 points lower, on average.

Based on the IMDb reviews, a lot of men on the internet (who may or may not have actually seen the film) really hate the new “Ghostbusters.” A lot of women on the internet (who may or may not have actually seen the film) seem pretty into it. Based on the Metacritic score and the average Rotten Tomatoes scores, “Ghostbusters,” like most summer movies, is merely a mediocre-to-good film, critically speaking. And based on the Rotten Tomatoes scores for top critics, professional critics are split on whether it’s worth seeing. But based on the larger pool of critics, three out of four of them think it’s worth a ticket.

The point is that this is a hugely instructive case for why internet ratings need to be approached with way more nuance than they currently are.4 People put far too much faith in numbers that are preliminary, decontextualized and, in the end, oversimplified.

Full article is here if anyone is interested: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gho ... re-broken/
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By JennyWeb
JurorNo.2 wrote: I'd wager, you're not against agendas in movies, you're against agendas you personally don't like. ;)
Quite well-put. I know I'm strolling into a minefield here, but I just got to say that it seems like the biggest critics of GB2016 also seem to have the least grasp of what GB84 was about. Not to mention the very clear agenda of showing government intervention disrupting the operations of a small business. I mean, the EPA is the villain in this movie! How is that not a political message, especially in the 80's?

"Agendas" in the new movie include lampooning both establishment and... less-established educational institutions, the watchful eye of homeland security intruding on daily life, the incompetence of elected officials, media distortion and professional pundits, and oh yeah, the toxicity of extended-adolescent entitlement culture.

Is comedy supposed to be some pure, timeless creature, untouched by the sensibilities of the era that produces it, or is it supposed to be a reflection of the world and culture we live in by which we can find truth in absurdity? Because if some haters think it's the former, I have some bad news about GB84...
Sav C, Alphagaia, JurorNo.2 and 2 others liked this
By devilmanozzy
rockstar232007 wrote:
ParanormalTx wrote:The new ghostbusters movie is great it lets the modern generation know what the ghosbusters are! times are changing and so are the people. Things will change, Not to mention that the franchises will never die. Sony is giving what the people want. More movies about topics that the old will remember and the new will get intrigued... Nothing is perfect so lets stay with what we got. and if you think you can do better than that then wheres your movie. leave the film making process to the pros because in the end, the actors are taking the hard work for granted. Show all busters some support!
I've seen fan-mad GB films, that were a million times better than the reboot. Mainly because there was no "agenda" attached to them. They were/are fun (though some of them were a little on the "cheesy" side), and focused on telling a good story, minus any societal/political agendas.

Btw, it's not the actors were not supporting. It's the whole reason why the movie was even made - to pander to both political/societal SJWs. Problem is, it totally backfired.
Google "paramount vs star trek fan films" and you can see what could happen. Remember that Sony owns "Ghostbusters" and fan projects should never serve to go against a current property. The fandom has enough problems the way it is. Pushing the issue too hard isn't very bright.
deadderek liked this
By SpaceBallz
JurorNo2. wrote:Which is why audience ratings of this movie continue to be highly questionable.
Alphagaia wrote:Regarding people's reception, I'll repost this as the thread I posted this earlier got locked right after, though I believe it was not because of this (if it was I'll remove it):

I found an interesting article that kinda explains my stance on the numbers given by critics and 'fans' and why I put less trust in the many 10's and 1's the movie had gotten.

Positive critic reviews = non-questionable
Negative audience reviews = so questionable that they shouldn't even count

Clearly there's no arguing with that logic. Check-Mate, everybody. We can close this thread now, GB16 is the greatest thing since Mad Max: Fury Road, we were all blind until now. I would just like to say that Paul Feig should receive a people's choice award for "best paranormal comedy director ever" and ATC should receive the "Best 2016 July Comedy Ever." Amy Pascal should get her original job back as head of Sony to give us more cinematic masterpieces. Also, we should all petition China, clearly ATC should have made record breaking numbers if it weren't for them (thank you JurorNo2 for opening my eyes on that one).
pferreira1983 liked this
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote: Positive critic reviews = non-questionable

Clearly there's no arguing with that logic. Check-Mate, everybody. We can close this thread now, GB16 is the greatest thing since Mad Max: Fury Road, we were all blind until now.
Wow, if that's your conclusion you kinda missed how that article and me point towards the bias of the (premature) 1's and 10's at the same time.

How that would boil down to only negative comments don't count is beyond me.
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 6th, 2016, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
BatDan wrote:
Don't get me wrong, Id love me some more Ghostbusters. But I'm a quality over quantity kinda guy.
Yeah I'm that way as well.
timeware wrote:
Midichlorians are the essence of someone, you can't copy someone's essence. I feel like an aftershave commercial. :shock:
JurorNo.2 wrote: I haven't seen it, but I do have friends utterly perplexed that Warcraft might get a sequel. Go figure, lol.
The fans apparently liked it because it was mainly faithful to the source material. If true a win for video game movies as that's how they should be done.
JurorNo.2 wrote: I'd wager, you're not against agendas in movies, you're against agendas you personally don't like. ;)
A lot of us were "bitching and moaning" way beck when it was green-lit,
Which is why audience ratings of this movie continue to be highly questionable.
Would people like a Hollywood blockbuster about not smoking? It might be useful even though it would get as much hate. People like Paul Feig have a bone to pick with society, we've waited ages for a new Ghostbusters movie, this wasn't the time or place for him to tell people it.
deadderek wrote:
Holy hells bells, if you think Ghostbusters fans are the worst...if you truly think that...you obviously don't go to other fan forums that often if ever.
I tend to think after The Force Awakens came out and was liked by the majority JJ Abrams went to the toilet and took the longest dump he ever took. :mrgreen:
SpaceBallz wrote:
Clearly there's no arguing with that logic. Check-Mate, everybody. We can close this thread now, GB16 is the greatest thing since Mad Max: Fury Road, we were all blind until now. I would just like to say that Paul Feig should receive a people's choice award for "best paranormal comedy director ever" and ATC should receive the "Best 2016 July Comedy Ever." Amy Pascal should get her original job back as head of Sony to give us more cinematic masterpieces. Also, we should all petition China, clearly ATC should have made record breaking numbers if it weren't for them (thank you JurorNo2 for opening my eyes on that one).
Oh you... :mrgreen:
SpaceBallz liked this
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote:Thats why you beg companies like Pepsi and Coke. stick their products in the film discretely (Unlike GB2) and people shouldn't call you a sell out. Offering to put the donors names in the credits or offering them a part as an extra should revert control of the project back to you. That's one reason why people use Kickstarter now these days.
Doesn't Kickstarter just add more whiny critics to your idea if anything is not 100% how they want it to be in their daily updates?
I'm just saying you never do it alone.
By Sav C
timeware wrote:Thats why you beg companies like Pepsi and Coke. stick their products in the film discretely (Unlike GB2) and people shouldn't call you a sell out. Offering to put the donors names in the credits or offering them a part as an extra should revert control of the project back to you. That's one reason why people use Kickstarter now these days.
Ghostbusters used junk food brands for (mildly blatant) product placement, including Coca Cola. Ghostbusters II had Sony products, but I don't recall any food items (besides Ecto Cooler.)

Not to mention that Coca Cola owned Columbia Pictures in 84, but in 89 Sony had already bought them.
By rockstar232007
JennyWeb wrote:
Quite well-put. I know I'm strolling into a minefield here, but I just got to say that it seems like the biggest critics of GB2016 also seem to have the least grasp of what GB84 was about. Not to mention the very clear agenda of showing government intervention disrupting the operations of a small business. I mean, the EPA is the villain in this movie! How is that not a political message, especially in the 80's?

"Agendas" in the new movie include lampooning both establishment and... less-established educational institutions, the watchful eye of homeland security intruding on daily life, the incompetence of elected officials, media distortion and professional pundits, and oh yeah, the toxicity of extended-adolescent entitlement culture.

Is comedy supposed to be some pure, timeless creature, untouched by the sensibilities of the era that produces it, or is it supposed to be a reflection of the world and culture we live in by which we can find truth in absurdity? Because if some haters think it's the former, I have some bad news about GB84...
Allow me to clarify -

What I meant was, the originals weren't actively trying to push the issues. The references were subtle, but still very much understood.
By Styrofoam_Guy
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:I found an interesting article that kinda explains my stance on the numbers given by critics and 'fans' and why I put less trust in the many 10's and 1's the movie had gotten.

Positive critic reviews = non-questionable
As I understand Alphagaia's argument is that quite a few of the 10's and 1's votes were done before the movie was even released or by people who had not seen the movie. They had an alternate agenda as opposed to an honest rating.

So is it fair to include rankings by people who have never seen the movie?

I noticed the same thing happening with the Blue-Ray before it was even released.
Sav C liked this
By Mr_Saver
Sav C wrote:
Ghostbusters used junk food brands for (mildly blatant) product placement, including Coca Cola. Ghostbusters II had Sony products, but I don't recall any food items (besides Ecto Cooler.)

Not to mention that Coca Cola owned Columbia Pictures in 84, but in 89 Sony had already bought them.
I watched the original recently and was almost surprised how blatant the product placement is. IMO, it's actually more blatant, on the whole, than GB16. Lots of lingering shots of Wise potato chips, Budweiser cases, Cheezits, and more. And several lines incorporate products or are just lifted straight off of marketing slogans.

Almost the last line in the movie is "Its Miller Time" (even though they drink Budweiser throughout the film).
Sav C liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]