Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Kind of a review, only pointing to specific areas of the film that you believe worked, and what you believe didn't work. I guess you could call it nitpicking.

The Good:
-The Cast is decent
-The idea behind the villain was good, there is a flipside though (check the bad)
-Showing how the tech evolved from the large proton laser to the portable proton packs
-The action at Times Square was pretty cool, but another flipside.
-The opening was decent
-Some great improv (yet another flipside)

The Bad:
-Too much improv that rambles on and goes no where with the cast seemingly trying to one up eachother (Honest Trailers had a good point that not everyone should play the comic relief)
-The execution of the villain misses the mark (He's not as scary as Gozer or even Vigo. And how did he get so powerful after his death? Did the electrocution have anything to do with it?)
-How did the Ghostbusters here NOT have a containment unit in mind? (To be fair, in storyboards for the Original, after catching Slimer, the Ghostbusters forgot about making a containment unit prior to their infamous first assignment)
-Time Square flip side, how did the Ghostbusters get so physical?
-The science talk at times is a bit overdone, and at times, not quite convincing.
-Kevin is too dumb to be alive

Anyone else care to share?
Alphagaia, Sav C, deadderek and 1 others liked this
You know you just made me realize something...

Gozer and Vigo both had their voices dubbed over by other actors. And for much of the 2nd half of GB16, Rowan's vocal performance comes from McCarthy and Hemsworth.

Very slippery these GB villains, lol.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By GBfan_CH
-Too much improv that rambles on and goes no where with the cast seemingly trying to one up eachother (Honest Trailers had a good point that not everyone should play the comic relief)
-The execution of the villain misses the mark (He's not as scary as Gozer or even Vigo. And how did he get so powerful after his death? Did the electrocution have anything to do with it?)
That's really hit the nail on the head. Put... I don't know... three people in this film playing it straight, make the enemy hold more menace, and you've fixed most of the problems in my opinion. It's not a bad film. Called something like "Spook Team" instead of Ghostbusters, it would have made a lot more money.

But if we have to add something to your list, the marketing sucked and the merchandise didn't make it to the UK. :sigh:
deadderek liked this
I also wonder about the amount of improve. It sounded like they didn't write a script and just let the actors ramble on and hoped that something good came out of it. Seems like a very odd way to make a movie. Does that sound like an efficient use of time?

Of course this would make the editing harder as there would be so many choices and it might not create a good flow or carry a theme through the movie. One is the delivery guy having a crush on Erin.

Listening to one of the commentary tracks the director would comment on the various actors and the main comment was that the actor/actress was a very funny person and that they came up with so many funny lines.

I was a bit surprised that it was Hemsworth that came up with making the Kevin character even dumber than what was called for in the script.

I am glad that they did not include the 2 following scenes
1. After they blow up Bennie's scooter and he basically calls the women geek losers
2. When the guy chases after them calling them frauds and Abby tells him to go back to his mother's basement and Erin punches the guy.
The good:
- Likeable cast
- ghost effects, which I know many people didn't like but I thought they looked pretty cool.
- subway ghost was great
- Chris Hemsworth was funny (even if some of the jokes were awful... "Mike Hat")

The bad:
- Too lightweight. The originals had some dark and grown up stuff in them. And they weren't just comedies, they felt like horror movies that just happened to have funny people in them and were full of atmosphere. This film was too silly and feel good and there was no atmosphere, it felt like any regular modern comedy
- some really cringey comedy.. the College Dean flipping the bird for example, soup jokes, wig jokes, Mike Hat etc.
- weak climax.
AfraidOfNoGhost wrote:I've worked in retail, and I get what you mean. To be fair, I never saw a customer cover their eyes because of a loud noise. XD
Could be he has synesthesia. I don't know. That's kind of a stretch.
Sav C liked this
I hadn't considered that because the film spent a good amount of time presenting Kevin as just dumber than a bag of a rocks (in Abby's words). I did find him funny, don't get me wrong, and felt that Hemsworth really shined during the possession scenes.

Speaking of which, a few more points I wanted to add:

The Good:
-I know I said the cast was decent already, but they truly are talented. Their past work was a reassurance for me, since I knew what they were capable of.
-Hemsworth (like many have pointed out already) was funny for the most part. Like I said though, Kevin was at times, too dumb to be alive.
-The Walk the Moon cover of Ghostbusters was AWESOME, as was Get Ghost.
-The scene where the Ghostbusters confront Rowan for the first time, and Abby tries to talk him down. I thought it was pretty well done, since she understood how he felt (them all having experienced the same ridicule), but she tried to make him see there was so many other things out there that made life worth it. At least until the ending ...see the bad.
-I've said before that I liked seeing how the tech evolved due to Holtzman tinkering. I only recently noticed that the wands in the final showdown are different from the initial ones in the concert. The additional gadgets were cool as well, and according to the commentary, the scene where Holtzman shows them off was added at the last minute to make better sense of the fight in Times Square. That was a good call. There is a flipside.

The Bad:
-At the ending of the first confrontation, after failing to convince Rowan of the things that made life worth living, Abby tells him that it's over and he's going to jail. Now, I admit that I'm not a negotiator, but WHY would she tell someone who is within arms length of activating a weapon of mass destruction that they're going to jail? At that point, Rowan knew he had nothing to lose, and no motivation to shut it down. Granted, it was part of his plan to kill himself on the electrodes, but it didn't seem very smart on Abby's part to tell him the police were on the way. Then again, one could ask what made Ray answer 'no' to Gozer, when asked if he was a god.
-Where are they getting money from? The original film showed the Ghostbusters mortgaging Ray's house for a loan. After their second job at the Sedgewick (technically Dana was their first job), we're treated to a montage that shows how busy they're getting. In GB2016, we never see them doing any other job than at the concert. Was the concert gig really that big of a paycheck?
-Point above ties into Holtzmans inventions. Now, we can presume she picked up a lot of junkyard parts, so that saves a lot of money (and shows how resourceful she is). The power sources for said inventions, however, I can't imagine being terribly cheap. The passage of time seems relatively short, so where did she find the time to make it all? I also can't help but feel that maybe the gadgets should have been saved for a sequel.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By SSJmole
I loved the new film. For me most of the good has been said. So ill just add.

Good
+ all the references. Like I genuinely felt like a child during the Stay Puft balloon scene.
+ Love each has unique weapon.
+ Love the fact i saw it with a little girl in my family and she finally feels like she has a hero team for her.

Bad
- Only complaint I have is near the end the pacing sufferers.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
    Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]