Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
People change depending on how they interpretet any information their brain receives.

Off topic, but I have seen Arrival last weekend and it blew my socks away how the same information can be interpreted in so many ways and perspectives. If you have not seen this movie yet do so. I absolutely loved Contact, but this movie is better and a great example of how words can change your perspective.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
BatDan wrote:In order for a film to be dubbed a "Comedy" it has to be funny, right?
No, Meet the Parents is still sadly a comedy.
I liked the whole Meet the Parents trilogy, they were hysterical, especially the opening part in Meet the Fockers (chuckle) where everything was going their way (of course I'm a big Robert De Niro fan.) Cool you didn't find it funny though.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By BatDan
Alphagaia wrote:
BatDan wrote:In order for a film to be dubbed a "Comedy" it has to be funny, right?

Well, I guess point goes to GB84 then.
O great. Another stab at the movie because if you did not laugh, no one did.

We really need less of this attitude.
Sorry Dad.

I'll make sure not to make humorous comments in a forum dedicated to a humorous movie.
BatDan wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
O great. Another stab at the movie because if you did not laugh, no one did.

We really need less of this attitude.
Sorry Dad.

I'll make sure not to make humorous comments in a forum dedicated to a humorous movie.
Listen son. (Just realised in two months I actually be a dad :D)

You have a track record of posts filled with negative remarks towards the movie. You might be trying to joke, but you made sure it was another stab at the movie.

There is a point where enough is enough as these kind of jokes are just there to balance on the line of trollish behavior and this should not be a goal to achieve in here.

Just keep in mind we all share the room with the people who (dis)like the movie and after months of this (passive) aggressiveness towards each other already, can we just not do this?
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
BatDan wrote:
Sorry Dad.

You have a track record of posts filled with negative remarks towards the movie. You might be trying to joke, but you made sure it was another stab at the movie.

There is a point where enough is enough as these kind of jokes are just there to balance on the line of trollish behavior and this should not be a goal to achieve in here.

Just keep in mind we all share the room with the people who (dis)like the movie and after months of this (passive) aggressiveness towards each other already, can we just not do this?
The guy made a joke. Come on Alpha, lay off. Are you still doing this same old bit trying to police what people say? "Enough is enough" Perhaps you should avoid this area if you don't like people taking the piss out of a movie? I don't know. You seem like a reasonable person and yet when someone has a history of disliking the movie you act as if you've been personally offended. Especially with a thread like this that is going to bring about these types of comments.

What goal should we be trying to reach? No jokes about a movie that divided it's fanbase? I'm tired of seeing the word troll thrown around when others don't like what's being said. THAT is being passive aggressive!
Given the topic of this thread I see no problem with the comment, other than your reaction to it.

Oh and congrats on the Baby. Do you know if it's a boy or girl yet?
I'm always for debates for and against a movie, but after months and months of just toxic behavior between fans, I don't think another jab at the expense of the movie is helping to mend the divide between Gbfans. Just look at the likes BatDans post gets from people disliking the movie and the likes my post gets from people liking the movie.

The movie exists. People will like it or dislike it, and this forums exists for that very reason, just try and be a little bit courteous when proclaiming your stance, especially if past reactions caused an unfriendly divide between fans.

Oh, and I'm gonna have a son! :love::love::love:
JurorNo.2, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
It was a different style of comedy, that I think does not work very well for a Ghostbusters movie. I laughed two or three times(can't even remember what scenes it was), but the rest of the jokes just fell flat. They were either trying to hard or the joke just didn't fit in the situation.

I'd like to say I can appreciate different styles of comedy. In sitcoms I like some of the old stuff as well as the new stuff. One thing I can always watch when it's on reruns is Home Improvement. The show had great characters: Tim, Al, Wilson, Jill and even the kids felt like real persons.

But I also like some newer stuff like The Big Bang Theory. That one is funny because it's true. A bit overdrawn, but true nonetheless. Many of my nerd friends really talk and behave like this and because of that I can relate to the characters. The only thing that breaks the immersion of the show for me is the romance stuff. Nerds don't get girlfriends and wifes that easily in real life! At least not girls that are looking like that!
Humor is always subjective, and people always have a range of humor they like (and expect) from a certain franchise. I don't think this movie has the smartest type of humor, and it sure is not as dry as the original, but it's a type of humor I can relate to. Is it all great? Nehh, for me the movie has as many good jokes as bad ones.

I do feel we kinda went from 'is the movie more overtly a comedy' to 'did it make you laugh', though. The last one is very personal.
JurorNo.2, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By BatDan
RichardLess wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:

The guy made a joke. Come on Alpha, lay off. Are you still doing this same old bit trying to police what people say? "Enough is enough" Perhaps you should avoid this area if you don't like people taking the piss out of a movie? I don't know. You seem like a reasonable person and yet when someone has a history of disliking the movie you act as if you've been personally offended. Especially with a thread like this that is going to bring about these types of comments.

What goal should we be trying to reach? No jokes about a movie that divided it's fanbase? I'm tired of seeing the word troll thrown around when others don't like what's being said. THAT is being passive aggressive!
Given the topic of this thread I see no problem with the comment, other than your reaction to it.
"thank you, officer."

I dont know how having a personal opinion has become 'negative' these days on all social media (dont get me started on the recent US election), cant even make sarcastic comments (and ironically on a GB forum) . If anything, taking classic cinema and rebooting it in the snowflake generation for your own financial gain should be deemed the 'negative', but thats none of my business. so, lighten up buttercups. :-P
BatDan wrote:snowflake generation...lighten up buttercups. :-P
How trendy. :roll:

You people have had more than enough opportunity to bash this movie to high heaven. Negativity has had completely free reign in this fanbase for months (a fanbase that defends GBII but somehow completely missed its point). Asking for the occasional respite is not policing your words. You lighten up.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By BatDan
JurorNo.2 wrote:
BatDan wrote:snowflake generation...lighten up buttercups. :-P
How trendy. :roll:

You people have had more than enough opportunity to bash this movie to high heaven. Negativity has had completely free reign in this fanbase for months (a fanbase that defends GBII but somehow completely missed its point). Asking for the occasional respite is not policing your words. You lighten up.
I'm fine. im just putting my 2 cents out there. You can 'not like' something. and not be worked up about it at the same time. it's possible.

on the subject of GB2 defense...speaking of "trendy"..GB2 at least has the dignity of not being a corporate footnote in a slew of millennial-based 80s remakes. GB2 has its flaws and its studio manhandling, but at the very least still has the same spark of artistic merit and substance portrayed in the original.
pferreira1983 liked this
BatDan wrote:GB2 at least has the dignity of not being a corporate footnote in a slew of millennial-based 80s remakes.
Sequels are, by their very definition, corporate. And I say this as someone who often enjoys GB2 more than GB84. And everyone knew this about sequels, until franchises became the Holy Grail of fandoms everywhere.
It certainly seems like the same 2-3 people are the only ones defending this movie. It seems those same people complain about a divided fan base and yet they are the ones causing most of the arguments here. I'm not saying they don't have a right to do that, heck I love a good argument. But it seems Alpha and Juror are the ones I see doing this constant back and forth with an occasional appearance by someone else(while Sav C likes all of their posts) . It's interesting. They complain about people hating on the movie and yet seem to spend most of their time in threads where that hate is most likely to appear. I find that very interesting. Again, I love a good argument here and there. But the ones complaining about all how "divided" we are and blah blah are usually the ones, knowingly or not, perpetuating that divisiveness.

Of course more people here than those 2-3 liked the reboot but I'm seeing a pattern emerge among that group. And certainly judging by this thread, they are in the minority. It seems to me, again I could be way out of line here, that more people here disliked the reboot than liked it. Not that it's a popularity contest or anything. Just an observation. I love a ton of movies other people hate.
BatDan, savintheday, Peter33vr and 1 others liked this
By BatDan
JurorNo.2 wrote:
BatDan wrote:GB2 at least has the dignity of not being a corporate footnote in a slew of millennial-based 80s remakes.
Sequels are, by their very definition, corporate. And I say this as someone who often enjoys GB2 more than GB84. And everyone knew this about sequels, until franchises became the Holy Grail of fandoms everywhere.
You completely gloss over that i admitted GB2 has its share 'studio manhandling" of course it does, studios want $$, but at the very least GB2 wasn't part of the hollywood trend of millennial based remakes/reboots and was made with a little dignity of artistic intent as opposed to the blandness and arrogance that went into the new one.

I agree, Richard. I do a see a pattern too, ya know..it's common knowledge that the first sign of mental illness is repeated behavior and amplified attitude. :roll:

but then again...why did i just para-quote myself from an earlier post? uh-oh.. *shrugs*
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote:But it seems Alpha and Juror are the ones I see doing this constant back and forth with an occasional appearance by someone else(while Sav C likes all of their posts) .
I've given out the second most likes of anyone on this site, and I've only been here a couple of months!
pferreira1983 liked this
By JurorNo.2
BatDan wrote: and was made with a little dignity of artistic intent
Lol, I have loved GB2 my entire life, but it was never so I could brag about how "dignified" my movies tastes were. I'll leave that to the fanboys of the world.
By JurorNo.2
savintheday wrote: Also notice that when there isn't an argument going on, this section of the forum is dead.
The casual posters here have said numerous times that the constant negativity turned them off. Same thing that happened with Reddit. Congrats, you guys have made the fanbase smaller once again. But at least you got to defend the "honor" of your precious childhoods.

You can go back to praising your new leader now. ;)
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on November 18th, 2016, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote: I've given out the second most likes of anyone on this site, and I've only been here a couple of months!
Don't worry about it. The Internet hates people who dare to not be miserable.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote:It certainly seems like the same 2-3 people are the only ones defending this movie. It seems those same people complain about a divided fan base and yet they are the ones causing most of the arguments here. I'm not saying they don't have a right to do that, heck I love a good argument. But it seems Alpha and Juror are the ones I see doing this constant back and forth with an occasional appearance by someone else(while Sav C likes all of their posts) . It's interesting. They complain about people hating on the movie and yet seem to spend most of their time in threads where that hate is most likely to appear. I find that very interesting. Again, I love a good argument here and there. But the ones complaining about all how "divided" we are and blah blah are usually the ones, knowingly or not, perpetuating that divisiveness.

Of course more people here than those 2-3 liked the reboot but I'm seeing a pattern emerge among that group. And certainly judging by this thread, they are in the minority. It seems to me, again I could be way out of line here, that more people here disliked the reboot than liked it. Not that it's a popularity contest or anything. Just an observation. I love a ton of movies other people hate.
Well, let's be fair here.

For instance, you are starting quite a few arguments by creating threads, which are all poised to a certain critique (and not praise) of the movie. Which is ofcourse fine, and we are in our right to give out our opinion in these threads just as people who disliked the movie are giving theri opinion in the positive (or neutral) threads.

I agree with Juror most people are tired of the constant back and forth and have vacated to 'safer' Fora where the general consensus is either pro or negative.

Which is a shame.

Both teams have to stop baiting each other and be a little bit more civil in their remarks if we want this devide fixed and welcome new people to the new and the old.
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 18th, 2016, 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
savintheday wrote: Also notice that when there isn't an argument going on, this section of the forum is dead.
The casual posters here have said numerous times that the constant negativity turned them off. Same thing that happened with Reddit. Congrats, you guys have made the fanbase smaller once again. But at least you got to defend the "honor" of your precious childhoods.

Nice assumptions. My childhood is intact and I didn't vote. WINK!

Just sayin' maybe some of you booters add to the hostile climate at times? Your snark is equal to the detractors. Difference is, you tend to take yourselves too seriously and cry offense at a difference of opinion.

Us detractors are able to laugh it off. Much heathier way to deal with a difference of opinion over a movie.

Stop complaining, or complain funnier.
Last edited by savintheday on November 18th, 2016, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By timeware
JurorNo.2 wrote:

Don't blame me, I voted for Gordon Shumway. It's your choice not to vote but i'd rather have people use the write in then not. (I did actually vote though.) As for the topic question I didn't feel the movies humor was on par with GB Classic.

Granted some bits made me laugh. Some parts that were in the film I felt could have been made more kid friendly. The dean flipping off the girls, and the guy in the beginning saying he shat himself didn't do anything for me.
By JurorNo.2
I wasn't talking about Trump. More about the guy who only ever posts here to egg people on. ;)
savintheday wrote:Your snark is equal to the detractors.
I only wish the detractors employed a bit of genuine snark on occasion.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:It certainly seems like the same 2-3 people are the only ones defending this movie. It seems those same people complain about a divided fan base and yet they are the ones causing most of the arguments here.
There were more people here in the past, but as has been noted before, a lot of them have been turned off of discussing the film completely because of the lengths some members were going to, and how the same arguments kept repeating themselves.

Conversely, there's definitely a few members who can be relied upon to impart a negative opinion about the film, sometimes without invitation, who give their fair share to starting many of the arguments here.
RichardLess wrote:I'm not saying they don't have a right to do that, heck I love a good argument. But it seems Alpha and Juror are the ones I see doing this constant back and forth with an occasional appearance by someone else(while Sav C likes all of their posts)
It seems odd then that you haven't been using the "report post" option, given how disruptive you feel they've been. On the flip side quite a few posts of yours have actually been reported, and while I don't necessarily agree with the rationale detailed in some of the post reports, I do feel at times Richard you do have a skill for rubbing some people the wrong way.
RichardLess wrote:They complain about people hating on the movie and yet seem to spend most of their time in threads where that hate is most likely to appear.
True, it might seem a little masochistic, but sometimes it's what we do when we're passionate about defending something.

I personally dislike people who are homophobic, but sometimes I'll subject myself to recordings or press releases of their statements in the hope that it might give me a better understanding of where they're coming, and how I can undermine their flawed arguments - "know thy opposition".
RichardLess wrote:are usually the ones, knowingly or not, perpetuating that divisiveness.
They're not the only ones, Richard. It's something both camps have to own up to.
RichardLess wrote:The guy made a joke. Come on Alpha, lay off.

Are you still doing this same old bit trying to police what people say? "Enough is enough" Perhaps you should avoid this area if you don't like people taking the piss out of a movie?
You may wish to follow some of your own advice Richard, as you're effectively policing Alpha for him policing Dan. Speaking as one of the actual "Police" around here, a few people could maybe spend a bit less time play-acting moderator.
RichardLess wrote:I'm tired of seeing the word troll thrown around when others don't like what's being said. THAT is being passive aggressive!
...only when the person being called a troll wasn't actually being one, and it can be subjective.
BatDan wrote:snowflake generation
Classy, Dan.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]