Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By BatDan
JurorNo.2 wrote:
BatDan wrote: and was made with a little dignity of artistic intent
Lol, I have loved GB2 my entire life, but it was never so I could brag about how "dignified" my movies tastes were. I'll leave that to the fanboys of the world.
JurorNo.2 wrote:I wasn't talking about Trump. More about the guy who only ever posts here to egg people on
No one was bragging that their movie taste was dignified.. where did that come from?

Also whose egging anyone on? I post on the general board too on occasion, just this board is more...active? topical?

And since when does having a different opinion equate to 'egging on?" sheesh. you must be a treat at dinner parties.
By JurorNo.2
BatDan wrote:
Also whose egging anyone on? I post on the general board too on occasion, just this board is more...active? topical?

And since when does having a different opinion equate to 'egging on?" sheesh. you must be a treat at dinner parties.
Wasn't talking about you either Dan.

And I've seen no defender here who ever had a problem with mere differences of opinion. The detractors on the other hand...

God, can a meteor come and hit the Internet, like, yesterday? Lol. Utter waste of technology.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on November 18th, 2016, 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Kingpin
On a lighter note, and a little late to the party:
RichardLess wrote:Here's an interesting challenge. Do you think you could name me two jokes from GB16 from each of the characters you mentioned that you think exemplifies their character.
Abby
"Just don't hit Patty anywhere important!"
"All I want is a reasonable ratio of wontons to broth! This is absolute madness!"

Erin
"Burn in Hell."
"Uh, why am I operating the untested nuclear laser?"

Patty
"Baby, if I knew what it was, I wouldn't say ' a weird sparking thing'."
"Okay, yep, room full of nightmares. Not going in there."

Holtzmann
"Oh my God, I forgot the most important part... Yeah, sorry. Erin, this is just a little bit of grounding so you don't die immediately."
"It's 2040, our President is a plant."

Bonus: Kevin
"Hey that man went out the wrong door."
"Oh it's an X! Touching other little Xs."

The reboot is obviously different in the style of humour to the original. There were some elements that tie into the standard of comedy that's popular today, which I'm not a fan of. A few jokes aside though, I enjoyed the 2016 film a lot more than I was expecting... it wasn't the comedic abomination a few fans prophesized it would be before it was released in the cinemas.
Alphagaia, Sav C, JurorNo.2 and 2 others liked this
Here's what I can take away from all this.

The detractors get to high-five and say "I told ya so", and the supporters get to sanctimoniously virtue-signal to each other.

It's a win-win!

But fine. I'll leave you guys alone now. The horse is dead.

High five!
And the fanbase is on life support.

But by all means, continue your high fives. There's nothing quite so satisfying as spiting your face. And your franchise, it seems.
"I told ya so"
Because film analysis has been reduced to how rich a movie made an executive. Thanks, Internet.
You're really playing into that narrative aren't ya? You're always lumping people into groups with sweeping statements like that, which is another reason for the backlash. Also a reason for the continued hostile environment.

I don't care though. It's your garden to tend to now. Adios!
Alphagaia wrote:
Peter33vr wrote:Seems to me that you and Alpha are the Gb16 defenders! :)
I meant to ask: are you RaystantzItaly?
Did you change your name all of a sudden?
He's in the Gb Italy forum and has been banned for his behaviour against the movie and people who liked it. He's the guy who's made Feig go crazy on Twitter last year.

I didn't liked the movie, but I respect other people opinions and I'm planning to see it in english to see if it improves a little bit.
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: I've given out the second most likes of anyone on this site, and I've only been here a couple of months!
Don't worry about it. The Internet hates people who dare to not be miserable.
Unfortunately it extends beyond the internet, at least for me.
Last edited by Sav C on November 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter33vr wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
I meant to ask: are you RaystantzItaly?
Did you change your name all of a sudden?
He's in the Gb Italy forum and has been banned for his behaviour against the movie and people who liked it. He's the guy who's made Feig go crazy on Twitter last year.

I didn't liked the movie, but I respect other people opinions and I'm planning to see it in english to see if it improves a little bit.
Ah, gotcha, the guy seems to have a lot of alts.

Though didn't Paul 'only' say he should eff off? It's quite shocking people are making such a ruckus about that tweet, or am I misremembering things?
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:It certainly seems like the same 2-3 people are the only ones defending this movie. It seems those same people complain about a divided fan base and yet they are the ones causing most of the arguments here.
There were more people here in the past, but as has been noted before, a lot of them have been turned off of discussing the film completely because of the lengths some members were going to, and how the same arguments kept repeating themselves.

Conversely, there's definitely a few members who can be relied upon to impart a negative opinion about the film, sometimes without invitation, who give their fair share to starting many of the arguments here.
RichardLess wrote:I'm not saying they don't have a right to do that, heck I love a good argument. But it seems Alpha and Juror are the ones I see doing this constant back and forth with an occasional appearance by someone else(while Sav C likes all of their posts)
It seems odd then that you haven't been using the "report post" option, given how disruptive you feel they've been. On the flip side quite a few posts of yours have actually been reported, and while I don't necessarily agree with the rationale detailed in some of the post reports, I do feel at times Richard you do have a skill for rubbing some people the wrong way.
RichardLess wrote:They complain about people hating on the movie and yet seem to spend most of their time in threads where that hate is most likely to appear.
True, it might seem a little masochistic, but sometimes it's what we do when we're passionate about defending something.

I personally dislike people who are homophobic, but sometimes I'll subject myself to recordings or press releases of their statements in the hope that it might give me a better understanding of where they're coming, and how I can undermine their flawed arguments - "know thy opposition".
RichardLess wrote:are usually the ones, knowingly or not, perpetuating that divisiveness.
They're not the only ones, Richard. It's something both camps have to own up to.
RichardLess wrote:The guy made a joke. Come on Alpha, lay off.

Are you still doing this same old bit trying to police what people say? "Enough is enough" Perhaps you should avoid this area if you don't like people taking the piss out of a movie?
You may wish to follow some of your own advice Richard, as you're effectively policing Alpha for him policing Dan. Speaking as one of the actual "Police" around here, a few people could maybe spend a bit less time play-acting moderator.
RichardLess wrote:I'm tired of seeing the word troll thrown around when others don't like what's being said. THAT is being passive aggressive!
...only when the person being called a troll wasn't actually being one, and it can be subjective.
BatDan wrote:snowflake generation
Classy, Dan.

Why would I report someone's post? Because I disagree with them? How does that make sense? That's not what it's for. I didn't use the word disruptive. I used the word interesting. We both know who has reported me and, as you say, the rationale was ridiculous. I will use the report button when someone deserves it, not because I disagree with them. I agree that the word troll can be subjective, but my comment was about how it's used around here. I don't believe there are any trolls on here who do not get banned. I guess my view of troll is someone who doesn't use reason or logic and just enjoys causing mayhem.

I've been on here since the new movie was released and it's been the same people. I don't know who these users are that have gone away but that's kind of ridiculous. This is a big forum, there's room for everybody.

And Juror, since you don't like and report me when I reply to you, please stop with this "egg people" on non sense. That is not what I'm doing. Speaking of Trolls, that is Trollish behaviour.
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: I didn't use the word disruptive. I used the word interesting.
Well, I'm not sure if you intend to or not, but you do have a tendency to phrase sentences in such a way that you write one thing but mean another.

This following a time filled with a few trolls that even created alts to provoke and bait the likers is probably why we are on thin ice.
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 19th, 2016, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
RichardLess wrote: I didn't use the word disruptive. I used the word interesting.
Well, I'm not sure if you intend to or not, but you do have a tendency to phrase sentences in such a way that you write one thing but mean another.
That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense Alpha. I tend to be pretty clear and concise. Perhaps you're not taking things at face value and trying to find meaning where there is none? Otherwise you'll have to cite an example. Because I have zero idea what you are talking about. I say what I mean. That's all there is to it. I don't speak in riddles
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:and, as you say, the rationale was ridiculous.
I said I didn't always agree with the reasoning, not that it was "ridiculous".
RichardLess wrote:I've been on here since the new movie was released and it's been the same people.
And it's usually the same people who get OTT in their slating the movie, again, it's not just one side.
RichardLess wrote:And Juror, since you don't like and report me when I reply to you, please stop with this "egg people" on non sense.
It's not nonsense when you specifically call her out with remarks like that, which is a habit of yours.
RichardLess wrote:That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense Alpha.
It does make a degree of sense. It wouldn't be a new thing for a user to write a veiled insult in something that seemed initially reasonable.
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:and, as you say, the rationale was ridiculous.
I said I didn't always agree with the reasoning, not that it was "ridiculous".
RichardLess wrote:I've been on here since the new movie was released and it's been the same people.
And it's usually the same people who get OTT in their slating the movie, again, it's not just one side.
RichardLess wrote:And Juror, since you don't like and report me when I reply to you, please stop with this "egg people" on non sense.
It's not nonsense when you specifically call her out with remarks like that, which is a habit of yours.
RichardLess wrote:That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense Alpha.
It does make a degree of sense. It wouldn't be a new thing for a user to write a veiled insult in something that seemed initially reasonable.

Remarks like what? How are you making me out to be the bad guy here? I'm calling Juror out because it needs to stop. I have done nothing to deserve comments like that. I've tried making nice time and time again and he/she just steps it up and accuses me of faking wanting to make peace. You don't agree with my opinion? Fine. Don't make it personal. You report me for ridiculous reasons? put me on ignore? Fine. but then why keep coming to the threads I've started time and time again and starting the same fights over and over.

Alpha was talking about me specifically not other users. What you said really doesn't relate, does it?

See this is what I'm saying. Look at this. Look what this fandom has turned into. We are now arguing along party lines. Kingpin, a mod, someone who enjoyed the reboot, is constantly on the side of Alpha and Juror, others who enjoy the reboot. Even on matters that have nothing to do with the movie(notice how Kingpin says what Alpha said about my comments makes sense, then mentions veiled insults of other users, which had nothing to do with Alpha's post at all. What??) And then there's (what seems to be) the rest of us. We stick to our party lines. They stick to theirs. This is where the divisiveness comes from.

Can't we just talk about the movie? If a point gets belabour'd to death, who cares?? I know Alpha is a decent, smart, reasonable person. A soon to be a father! But this constant bickering helps no one. And no it's not all one sided. It just seems that the pro reboot crowd take things more personally, maybe? I don't know. Maybe I can't see past my own bias? Or maybe I *am* the problem and just don't see it?

All I know is I love Ghostbusters. And you all love Ghostbusters, otherwise you wouldn't be here. How different could we be? I guess Ghostbusters means something different to each of us, and that's where the animosity starts. To me Ghostbusters is sacred. Remaking or rebooting is just not ok for a movie of its stature. But that's just my opinion. This "updating for a new generation" argument just doesn't hold water. I wasn't even born when the original was released! But now there will be new fans, of a whole different movie! Maybe even a few girls got empowered by the new movie! So maybe that's a good thing? Jesus. I've started to argue with myself. I guess that's when you know it's time to stop typing.

I just want to say, I love all of you! Yes! Even you Juror! Ghostbusters is a beautiful thing. It's brought us all here. Together! Wait...Why am I drippings with goo?

DickLess, out!
pferreira1983 liked this
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:Remarks like what?
Specifically calling her out and egging her on about the fact she's reporting your posts. You could draw less attention to it by not posting about it at all.
RichardLess wrote:I'm calling Juror out because it needs to stop.
In addition to the report feature option, you could have also send a private message to one of the moderators (it doesn't even have to be me) about the issue you were experiencing, it didn't need to be dragged out into the topic where it'll obviously get a negative reaction and lead to more arguing.
RichardLess wrote:I've tried making nice time and time again and he/she just steps it up and accuses me of faking wanting to make peace.
Then may I suggest maybe trying to just ignore her, rather than instigate things further, or resort to publically calling her out? Have you given the Ignore feature a try at all?
RichardLess wrote:but then why keep coming to the threads I've started time and time again and starting the same fights over and over.
Because it's not just you posting in this topics, but other people as well... I dare say, even people she gets on better with than you.
RichardLess wrote:Kingpin, a mod, someone who enjoyed the reboot, is constantly on the side of Alpha and Juror, others who enjoy the reboot. Even on matters that have nothing to do with the movie
Most of the moderation staff enjoyed the reboot, and there isn't a requirement for us to have to keep our feelings about the film neutral in order to cater to the people who didn't.

If I'm often on Alpha, or Juror's side, it'll be down to me agreeing with the points they've made (the arguments have been going on for far too long now, with people at each others' throats, and I'm amazed that the supply of bile is still not exhausted).

And does it matter that I share viewpoints with them that cover topics beyond the reboot? By your own remark they're views that have nothing to do with the movie, so who cares?
RichardLess wrote:Can't we just talk about the movie?
I really, really wish we could.
RichardLess wrote:Maybe even a few girls got empowered by the new movie! So maybe that's a good thing?
Please believe me, I sincerely believe that's a good thing.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Can't we just talk about the movie?
I really, really wish we could.
Yeah, me too, especially without implying I'm incapable of independent thought (that's happened twice this week, and I'm not too thrilled about it.)
Last edited by Sav C on November 19th, 2016, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:God, can a meteor come and hit the Internet, like, yesterday? Lol. Utter waste of technology.
The world without Internet? Surely you jest. It would be pandemonium, rivers and sees boiling, dead rising from their graves...but at least YouTubers like PewDiePie would be gone. Win! :wink:
savintheday wrote:As long as the original movie remains on my shelf, I'll be forever satisfied. For me that is all that Ghostbusters needs to be. I don't need no stinking franchise.
cough disagree big time Real Ghostbusters, GB II cough.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sequels are, by their very definition, corporate. And I say this as someone who often enjoys GB2 more than GB84. And everyone knew this about sequels, until franchises became the Holy Grail of fandoms everywhere.
I don't mind sequels, I don't like reboots or remakes.
Sav C wrote:I've given out the second most likes of anyone on this site, and I've only been here a couple of months!
And for that I'm giving your comment a like. :nicejobyoudid:
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
Ugh..Kingpin, I wrote a large reply to that post but I just don't care enough to finish. Whatever dude. . Let's Just stop it and move on to talking about the movie, cause that's what I'm going to do. This back and forth is tiring and going nowhere.

My god this reboot was awful. I tried the extended cut, hoping maybe there was something in there to like. But no. Just more bad improv, dancing, dancing and more dancing. How could the guy who created Freaks and Geeks, one of the great shows of all time, get it so wrong?

Edit: Sav C, I love ya. You're the one 100% positive person on this site. Never a bad thing to say about anyone. The way it should be. When I mentioned you liking Alpha's post I wasn't saying you mindlessly do it. Just that you like his posts, which you are free to do. Keep doing your thing. We should all aim to be more like you. I mean that.

Edit# 2: deleted snarky crap
Sav C, pferreira1983 liked this
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote:Edit: Sav C, I love ya. You're the one 100% positive person on this site. Never a bad thing to say about anyone. The way it should be. When I mentioned you liking Alpha's post I wasn't saying you mindlessly do it. Just that you like his posts, which you are free to do. Keep doing your thing. We should all aim to be more like you. I mean that.
Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)

Edit: I really liked Paul's work on Arrested Development. It's too bad the forth season wasn't even on par with the first three, hopefully five will be an improvement.
Sav C wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Edit: Sav C, I love ya. You're the one 100% positive person on this site. Never a bad thing to say about anyone. The way it should be. When I mentioned you liking Alpha's post I wasn't saying you mindlessly do it. Just that you like his posts, which you are free to do. Keep doing your thing. We should all aim to be more like you. I mean that.
Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)

Edit: I really liked Paul's work on Arrested Development. It's too bad the forth season wasn't even on par with the first three, hopefully five will be an improvement.
Have you seen Freaks and Geeks? It's terrific. It's Paul Feig and Judd Apatow at their finest. The cast is incredible. So many stars got their start on that show.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote:
Sav C wrote: Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)

Have you seen Freaks and Geeks? It's terrific. It's Paul Feig and Judd Apatow at their finest. The cast is incredible. So many stars got their start on that show.
I haven't, but I think it's on Netflix so I'll make sure to check it out.
Kingpin wrote:
Abby
"Uh, why am I operating the untested nuclear laser?"
"All I want is a reasonable ratio of wontons to broth! This is absolute madness!"

Erin
"Oh my God, I forgot the most important part... Yeah, sorry. Erin, this is just a little bit of grounding so you don't die immediately."
"Just don't hit Patty anywhere important!"

Patty
"Baby, if I knew what it was, I wouldn't say ' a weird sparking thing'."
"Okay, yep, room full of nightmares. Not going in there."

Holtzmann
"Burn in Hell."
"It's 2040, our President is a plant."
I think these quotes solidify his argument; just about every one of these lines could have been delivered by any character in the film and it would be completely interchangeable... except for Patty. As I've said before, Jones feels like the only lead acting out a character instead of mugging for the camera. Erin and Abby are essentially interchangeable characters and Holtzman is just wacky for the sake of wacky (Our President is a plant durr).

The new film is just comedians doing improv for 2 hours without any real sense of characters. The great thing about the original is that it had a script and actors largely stuck to their dialog. Think of that scene with Egon and Peck when he shouts, "Your MOTHER!" The line is so out of character that we're shocked by his outburst. In the new film every character acts so bizarre nothing is shocking. Erin's "Burn in hell" offhand comment seems out of place... but then later she's grabbing tables and being drug out of restaurants and constantly not acting like her character... so who knows what Erin is supposed to be (I also think Wiig is far and away the weakest actor in this film).

It's all just part of a film that's a huge mess and doesn't know what it wanted to be.
pferreira1983 liked this
Scuba Steve wrote:I think these quotes solidify his argument; just about every one of these lines could have been delivered by any character in the film and it would be completely interchangeable... except for Patty.
Respectfully disagree, Holtzmann's lines were too weird to be interchangeable with the other characters. And Erin would be more nervous and neutroic when complaining about her lunch being messed up. She wouldn't be so directly aggressive like Abby is.
As I've said before, Jones feels like the only lead acting out a character instead of mugging for the camera.
I do agree with this though, her character has the most earnest moments.
In the new film every character acts so bizarre nothing is shocking. Erin's "Burn in hell" offhand comment seems out of place...
It didn't for me, again, she's neurotic like that.
Sav C liked this
Yeah, Abby speaks as if everyone is in the same intellectual level as she is, is bossy and seems to have no boundaries.

Erin will bumble around in a conversation and has walls for her walls, while trying to fit in, but totally failing at it as she is totally neurotic and twitchy.

Holtzmans has no boundaries as well as Abby, but takes everything in extremes and enjoys the hell out of chaos.

Patty seems the most earnest because she in it it head over heels. She is the every man reacting to a situation where the other 3 are completely caught up in the science behind the situation, each for their owns reasons:
Erin wanting to proof it,
Abby wanting to study it,
and McKinnons wanting to catch it.

Patty just thought it would be cool to be along for the ride without thinking it through that ghosts are f****g scary, which is where some of her comedy comes from.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]