Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Long time lurker here. I've been afraid to post in the last couple of months due to level of distaste that seems to permeate the GB16 forum.

The release of GB16 has really sparked a renewed interest for me in the old movies, the cartoons, comics, and ALL THINGS Ghostbusters. I've been a long time fan of the series, since I was 3 and saw the '84 in the theater. Now I'm a dad and my little boy loves all GB media, including the new movie. So proud. (My wife threw together a photo of me with my '84 proton pack I got when I was little with a current day photo of my boy and his GB16 pack, so awesome) Now if only I could convince him that my SEGA Master System version of Ghostbusters is cool...

Sadly, I'm finding that there isn't much of a "safe place" on the internet to discuss GB16. Grumps love hating on things other people like, so any posts here seem to immediately turn into the same argument over GB16. This bums me out as I would love to be able to talk about this movie without fear of being insulted (as I've seen happen to others). I'd love to talk about the new equipment, lore, and etc.

If it isn't here, does anyone have a lead on where there is an area of the internet where people who like GB16 can peacefully exist? Or does being a "Ghostbusters Fan" mean that no matter what haters are going to wander over and ruin our fun?
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, damster117 and 3 others liked this
Hi! Well since you're here...

GB16 has been included in the initial nominations at the People's Choice Awards.

Best Comedy
Best Comedic Movie Actor (Chris Hemsworth)
Best Comedic Movie Actress (All four Ghostbuster actresses)
Favorite Movie Actress (Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig)
Favorite Social Media Celebrity (Leslie Jones)

The finalists can be voted for on November 15, 2016.

http://vote.peopleschoice.com/#!/home/all

Do you have any questions or observations about the lore at the moment?

As far as completely safe places, if you're on Facebook, try Proton Charging, Positively Ghostbusters, and Ghostbusters Reboot Appreciation Page.
TorkTorkelson, MonaLS, JennyWeb and 1 others liked this
Awesome.
This is totally random stream-of-consciousness and pent up questions I have stored up.

First off:
1) I purchased a terribly made GB16 "Onesie" at Safeway as a joke for Halloween. While terrible in many ways, my son thinks it is awesome. Sadly, there isn't any quality options for kid size facsimiles for the GB16 uniform. Does anyone have any leads on making a kid's size uniform? It looks to be a couple patches and some reflective material on some coveralls, which seems easy enough.

2) As discussed in the film, the NSA seems very much aware of the paranormal. Does this mean that there is a broader national/worldwide effort to "battling ghosts"? Granted at the end the city has decided to fund the GBs, would that also mean that they are also contracted by the US Govt?

3) Did the Holtzman action sequence give you chills too? That may have been the most awesome 30 seconds of movie I've seen in a long time. The whole idea of a classical soundtrack that plays off RP Jr's original melody was really well done (and complimented her scene).

4) Is there lore behind the lanky tall ghost? He appears to be in command of the ghost armies (some sort of sub lieutenant of Rowan).

5) Was Rowan an agent for something more sinister?

6) What was your favorite line in the movie? Patty seems to have won me over with the room full of nightmares and "play something nice".

More questions will come as I let loose everything that I can think of after seeing the movie about 20+ times (I really like it and the kid adores it).
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, MonaLS and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote:Skip this forum. It's been deluged with Reddit trolls and alt-right dickbags ever since the new film was announced. It's a monument to a 20th century film, not new material.

I'd recommend Proton Charing or Ghostbusters News, both on Facebook.
Ugh, I used to subscribe to the GB sub. But for a solid six months the level of trollage made me begin to think if I wanted to associate my favorite thing in the world (Ghostbusters as a whole, the concept and tech is what I love) with such negativity.
JurorNo.2, MonaLS, WhoaFoogles and 1 others liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

TorkTorkelson wrote:Awesome.
This is totally random stream-of-consciousness and pent up questions I have stored up.

First off:
1) I purchased a terribly made GB16 "Onesie" at Safeway as a joke for Halloween. While terrible in many ways, my son thinks it is awesome. Sadly, there isn't any quality options for kid size facsimiles for the GB16 uniform. Does anyone have any leads on making a kid's size uniform? It looks to be a couple patches and some reflective material on some coveralls, which seems easy enough.

2) As discussed in the film, the NSA seems very much aware of the paranormal. Does this mean that there is a broader national/worldwide effort to "battling ghosts"? Granted at the end the city has decided to fund the GBs, would that also mean that they are also contracted by the US Govt?

3) Did the Holtzman action sequence give you chills too? That may have been the most awesome 30 seconds of movie I've seen in a long time. The whole idea of a classical soundtrack that plays off RP Jr's original melody was really well done (and complimented her scene).

4) Is there lore behind the lanky tall ghost? He appears to be in command of the ghost armies (some sort of sub lieutenant of Rowan).

6) What was your favorite line in the movie? Patty seems to have won me over with the room full of nightmares and "play something nice".

More questions will come as I let loose everything that I can think of after seeing the movie about 20+ times (I really like it and the kid adores it).
Loved Holtzmann's bit, she really owned that moment!

Favorite line, I really liked Erin's knee jerk "Burn in Hell" reaction, lol.

Yeah I took it that the government has encountered the paranormal before, but that they weren't especially equipped to really understand it or deal with it. They just relied on the public to forget about it, or believe propaganda that it wasn't true.

Have you seen this book, maybe it can answer some of your questions?
https://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Our-Past- ... ostbusters
MonaLS liked this

First off:

1. You can purchase a kids size costume with inflatable pack

2. I think NSA is aware of the threat but are not experts so they do not know how to combat them and rely on standard methods (bring out the army). I don't think they work for the US Govt but are sort of contractors for the city as it is the Mayors assistant that offers then the deal

3. Yes!!!

6. Although I am a Wiig fan I do like Holtzman's line after the big battle using her toys "You've just been Holtzmaned baby!!"

Oh and Gb16 also brought me back into the fandom.
MonaLS liked this
TorkTorkelson wrote:Long time lurker here. I've been afraid to post in the last couple of months due to level of distaste that seems to permeate the GB16 forum.

The release of GB16 has really sparked a renewed interest for me in the old movies, the cartoons, comics, and ALL THINGS Ghostbusters. I've been a long time fan of the series, since I was 3 and saw the '84 in the theater. Now I'm a dad and my little boy loves all GB media, including the new movie. So proud. (My wife threw together a photo of me with my '84 proton pack I got when I was little with a current day photo of my boy and his GB16 pack, so awesome) Now if only I could convince him that my SEGA Master System version of Ghostbusters is cool...

Sadly, I'm finding that there isn't much of a "safe place" on the internet to discuss GB16. Grumps love hating on things other people like, so any posts here seem to immediately turn into the same argument over GB16. This bums me out as I would love to be able to talk about this movie without fear of being insulted (as I've seen happen to others). I'd love to talk about the new equipment, lore, and etc.

If it isn't here, does anyone have a lead on where there is an area of the internet where people who like GB16 can peacefully exist? Or does being a "Ghostbusters Fan" mean that no matter what haters are going to wander over and ruin our fun?
Insert obligatory joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

More seriously, on some other forums, threads are created titled "positive comments only" or "no spoilers". Maybe one of the above posters should make such a thread, and call it pro-gb16 or the like. Calling it positive might get comments like: "I positively hate the reboot", lol.
JurorNo.2, MonaLS liked this
No matter what ghostbusters 16 is there and theres no time like the present to accept that its a movie. Personally i think its a good movie. it boils down to the true people that love ghostbusters that we have been waiting for, may not be what we expected but its a movie and it did show up. "better late then never". its good to have the ghostbuster back however on the big screen as the new generation gets a glimpse of the paranormal side of things!
I didn't saw it, so I can't say if it's really good or really bad....but it would be a nice idea to have two separate threads "WHY I LIKED IT" and "WHY I DIDN'T LIKED IT" so everyone can espress their feelings without causing a riot everytime.

First off:

2) I feel like this could have been explored much more by the movie, but that would have changed the focus an awful lot. Just like the original, it's clear that there's a history of paranormal activity throughout the world before the events of this film. Might be a hook for spinoffs or sequels though. It's hard to say what kind of contract the ladies are under to get their funding, but it seems to me like they basically have an R&D grant to come up with ways to deal with future issues and otherwise don't have a lot of direct guidance from the government.

3) Every. Single. Time. And that has to be one of my absolute favorite moments in film scores as well.

4) I want to know more about him. Maybe he's some demon or other non-human entity from the other side who is respected or feared by the ghosts.

5) I think Rowan was acting alone, but it's odd to consider that he provided the breakthrough that Erin and Abby needed to prove their theories and for Jilian to develop her ghost abatement technology. It's clear that ghosts are normally very rare in any sort of visible or tangible form, so it would be interesting to see if Rowan's vortex leads to a universal increase in paranormal activity in the future.

6)"Safety lights are for dudes." - or almost anything else Holtzmann says, really.
By HunterCC
pferreira1983 wrote:
TorkTorkelson wrote: Sadly, I'm finding that there isn't much of a "safe place" on the internet to discuss GB16.
Try talking about Star Trek Generations or Star Trek V: The Final Frontier on IMDB. Yikes, now that's difficult. :-?
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Years ago when Voyager was still on I looked for a message board where I could discuss the episodes. I can't recall which message board it was but boy was that toxic.
Maybe I'm showing my age, but seems like there's a trend now to call any negative or contrary feedback on something "toxic". A trend that wasn't so prevalent in the 90s and 80s. Most people dislike a movie you like? Toxic. Disagree with you on any topic? Toxic.

For example, I can see a frequent movie-goer and some star trek fans hating Generations. It wasn't that good. I like it even though I hated some aspects of Kirk's death, because it was a decent ST film to me, it is part of the overall ST story, and I love ST in general so I am a lot more forgiving. I wouldn't call people who say Generations sucked "toxic", just different opinion, and wrong in my opinion, but they are entitled to it. I don't see as much respect or credence given to others opinions these days especially on the internet. Everything must be a fight to the death where if they disagree with someone, they must be "toxic", bad, evil, unredeemable. It didn't used to be that way.
JurorNo.2 liked this
HunterCC wrote: Disagree with you on any topic? Toxic.
It's not about merely disagreeing. It's more about people's attitudes, which have most definitely gotten worse. No question. Some of it is the anonymity of the Internet. But I get what you're saying, sometimes people do have a knee jerk reactions to different opinions. Some of it is we're just generally more segregated as a society in many ways, we're not used to dealing with different points of view.
By HunterCC
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote: Disagree with you on any topic? Toxic.
It's not about merely disagreeing. It's more about people's attitudes, which have most definitely gotten worse. No question. Some of it is the anonymity of the Internet. Some of it is we're just generally more segregated as a society in many ways, we're not used to dealing with different points of view.
That would be an irony, that as the information age continues, and the world does become smaller with more people and ideas traveling all over, people become more segregated, more polarized in their views.
JurorNo.2 liked this
HunterCC wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
It's not about merely disagreeing. It's more about people's attitudes, which have most definitely gotten worse. No question. Some of it is the anonymity of the Internet. Some of it is we're just generally more segregated as a society in many ways, we're not used to dealing with different points of view.
That would be an irony, that as the information age continues, and the world does become smaller with more people and ideas traveling all over, people become more segregated, more polarized in their views.
Yes and I added something to my original point. I do agree with you that sometimes people have knee jerk reactions to different opinions. I actually did a paper on this in Grad school, lol, that the Internet makes it easy for people to stay in their own self fulfilling groups, instead of browsing for new points of view. And when they do happen to encounter different opinions, they don't know how to handle it.
HunterCC liked this
I like that they told stories of other places. It put the idea in your head that, while they have nobody that can fight these things, the Ghostbusters can and you could end up with different sets, locations, stories, etc. IDW did a haunted across America tour that lines up with that and it was awesome.

I enjoyed GB16, but enjoyed the fact that my daughter enjoyed it way more. It was like looking back in time to when Ibwatched GB2 in the theater. We both bounced out of the lobby excited, a little scared, and re-telling our favorite parts only I had us dress up to see GB16. ;-)

As far as using the word "toxic," I don't think it's used incorrectly. You're right, you used to be able to just not like a movie, but people are so keen on spreading their distaste for it that they're crossing boundaries and insulting other people's tastes, likes, attitudes, and attributes that have nothing to do with the original disagreement and that would be toxic. To me, it means that arguments and debates aren't sectioned-off fairly and spread too easily to other aspects of people's lives like acid eating at everything.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
TorkTorkelson wrote:Long time lurker here. I've been afraid to post in the last couple of months due to level of distaste that seems to permeate the GB16 forum.

I feel like 85% of the members on this forum are against it.

99% of the kids who see this, love it and love dressing as a reboot and play with the new packs.

Im in it for the new generation. They are happy.
Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:
Yes and I added something to my original point. I do agree with you that sometimes people have knee jerk reactions to different opinions. I actually did a paper on this in Grad school, lol, that the Internet makes it easy for people to stay in their own self fulfilling groups, instead of browsing for new points of view. And when they do happen to encounter different opinions, they don't know how to handle it.

Much like the U.S. election in place.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Tyko
My only real beef with the movie (and before you jump on me this isnt negative per se) is the story. The trailer starts with "30 years ago" meaning we acknowledge there was a first movie. But then they 180'd to make these new characters look like the originators of busting-ghosts. But then you're going to fill your movie with shout outs to the original (ie actors, slimer, stay puft, the same fire house, the end credit clip). If anything, I'm just confused to how this movie is supposed to fit into the lore. Again, I'm not knocking the movie, I'm just asking for clarification. Thoughts?

As far as I'm concerned, anything that revitalizes the interest of GBs into a new generation is a good thing.
By Tyko
Lol Noted! Thanks Pete
By Tyko
Right! No one wants to film a sequel but they'll come in to be in a reboot? Apparently I dont understand Hollywood lol
Travis Burrell wrote:I feel like 85% of the members on this forum are against it.

99% of the kids who see this, love it and love dressing as a reboot and play with the new packs.

Im in it for the new generation. They are happy.
85% seems a little high. There've been notable opinions that were stated negatively about the film, but there was a lot of repeat posting by some of members, which I think has skewed the impression to be higher than it might've actually been. I think the larger proportion of members were either indifferent, or chose not to state an opinion either way.

So it's maybe more like*:

Liked: 19%
Disliked: 30%
Indifferent/did not state: 51%

* A really rough guess, not verified by an independent study.
Sav C, Travis Burrell liked this
KingPin wrote:* A really rough guess, not verified by an independent study.
Must be a Fox News poll...ba-da-cha!
Travis Burrell liked this
By HunterCC
Tyko wrote:
KingPin wrote:* A really rough guess, not verified by an independent study.
Must be a Fox News poll...ba-da-cha!
None of the other US tv news can claim to be more accurate lately.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?