Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By SpaceBallz
Can you guys name one positive male character in this movie? No? Okay.

By Alphagaia
Sure, like I did already when you asked pages ago without you replying to it as well:

- The mayor let's them do their thing instead of shutting them down.
- The Eldridge Mansion Keepers are not dumb or anything. One is scared though. How weird.
- The Cop questioning the GB after Heiss fall
- The News Anchors, Erin's Boss wanting to keep her and giving her tenor before she lies and goes 'crazy',
- the guy who hires the GB to catch Mayhem
- Benny might be lazy but he is not a bad guy and actually becomes friends with them at the end, believing in ghosts.
- Patty's uncle lends them the car,
- Ozzy is being Ozzy,
- and Cabbie Dans knows his ghost trivia. Enough for you?

Heiss might be a dick, but that's because he does not believe in ghosts, like most sane people would. This is where most negative remarks come from, and people seem to mistake it for misandry.

Can I name some negative trademarks in women? Surely not as this a manhating movie that only glorifies women, right?
O wait!

-Serial killing lady Eldridge
-Mayor's flunky being a tool.
-Professor in the extended scene one upping Erin.
-Hotel clerk being a dick to customers.
-Hotel lady buying the air-conditioning leakage cover story.
-Erin having trouble with doors.
-Erin lying to her boss and failing.
-Erin having zero fashion sense, even Holtzmann makes fun of it.
-All GB having no social skills and not fitting in.

Great way to restart the discussion, by the way. Just regurgitating the same argument without ever replying to the previous posts!
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 23rd, 2017, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Kingpin
SpaceBallz wrote:Can you guys name one positive male character in this movie? No? Okay.
Ed Mulgrave
Officer Stevenson (the cop interviewing them after Heiss is thrown out the window)
The Graffiti Artist

And if we're allowing it:

Pat Kiernan
Al Roker
Daniel Ramis's metal head

What are Dotson's qualifications for posting his video here, other than being another person complaining about the reboot? It's pretty clear by the 1:40 mark that he has an axe to grind.

And because this is the perfect response to that video:

By JurorNo.2
Alphagaia wrote: Great way to restart the discussion, by the way. Just regurgitating the same argument without ever replying to the previous posts!
Well it did kinda work. ;D
By JurorNo.2
Kingpin wrote:
What are Dotson's qualifications for posting his video here, other than being another person complaining about the reboot? It's pretty clear by the 1:40 mark that he has an axe to grind.
I'm encountering that more and more lately with debates online. Suddenly the person will say, "Just watch this other random person's video." Um, OK, I thought I was talking to you?
By Kingpin
It's a lazy progression of the discussion, finding a video of someone on Youtube who holds similar views to you, and copy-and-pasting it in the absence of writing something similar. I think in some ways that's the same reason we occasionally see a post containing nothing but a meme image, because it's "just easier".
JurorNo.2 liked this
By timeware
Are we ignoring the PR campaign that put 2016 in a negative light? The press was very adamant about one upping the other gender.

Posters like this didn't help 2016.

As long as were using video memes to illustrate what Holtzman was trying to do in that poster:

Play that video in the office to see how long it takes your boss to walk by and hit you upside the head.
By timeware
Alphagaia wrote:Well, that's got to be the dumbest complaint yet.

CONGLATURATION!
It proves a point. Look at how the press covered it, look at how the bloggers covered it. The perception that 2016 is a man bashing movie is a result of the press. the political climate of 2016 had turned a lot of people away from the film. We can argue that the movie isn't bias all day long. Doesn't change the fact the PR campaign was shit.
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Well, that's got to be the dumbest complaint yet.

CONGLATURATION!
It proves a point. Look at how the press covered it, look at how the bloggers covered it. The perception that 2016 is a man bashing movie is a result of the press. the political climate of 2016 had turned a lot of people away from the film. We can argue that the movie isn't bias all day long. Doesn't change the fact the PR campaign was shit.
If you're on the look out for man bashing, you may not have liked the PR.
By Alphagaia
PR and Press are two different beasts though. You give the PR to the press, but it is how they choose to display it.
Also, press also looked and how the fans reacted: and let's be fair that was a shitshow of people jumping to conclusions. If we are blaiming the press, we can also blame some of the GBfans for giving them plenty of ammo.

For instance, some people had problems with the 'WOMEN are funny" line from the NY Times.
Not understanding it was a play on 'Women aren't funny' from CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS.
Which got relevant because some annoyed GBfans digged up Paul Feigs satirical rebuttal to it, but did not understand it was a play on HITCHENS write up and thought he was for real, posting it here and reddit.
Which in turn got coverage and here we are.

The people here should know better though, but I still see them only attacking the movie for being full of manhating, while ignoring the dumb/evil things the women do.
I blame the press for eating it all up, but I also blame some of the fans for (deliberatly) creating it as well.

Look at Cassidy for instance. He got banned here and is so dead set on hating the movie he is still tweeting Paul Feig how stupid he is, posts screenshots of this site belittling the pro people on here, and boasts how Feig should have tweeted about the pro life marches as well.
He is that far gone, belittling people who are dressed up in the reboot packs, attacking IDW for creating a comic and not wanting people to enjoy themselves. What a sad person.
By timeware
Lets say that NY times isn't a beast of political nature. the women are funny line was a direct shot towards male GB fans regardless if they liked the film or not.

That's where the confusion began. If Paul didn't mean that line that way NY times certainly did. He could have solved problems early on by making a statement. So we can blame the times for that one.

His politics made people nervous about the movie over all. Concerning the dance scene he did surprise me when the final product came out and it wasn't an anti military slap.

The last thing I need is that douchebag Cassidy copying my posts. I only bring up the women's march to prove he was a hypocrite for not standing up for the female GB fans Anita Sarkeesian's followers had gone after. Like I said I liked the movie not the director.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
timeware wrote:Lets say that NY times isn't a beast of political nature. the women are funny line was a direct shot towards male GB fans regardless if they liked the film or not.

That's where the confusion began. If Paul didn't mean that line that way NY times certainly did. He could have solved problems early on by making a statement. So we can blame the times for that one.

His politics made people nervous about the movie over all. Concerning the dance scene he did surprise me when the final product came out and it wasn't an anti military slap.

The last thing I need is that douchebag Cassidy copying my posts. I only bring up the women's march to prove he was a hypocrite for not standing up for the female GB fans Anita Sarkeesian's followers had gone after. Like I said I liked the movie not the director.
It's OK, timeware. You lean more conservative and you have every right to stand by your convictions. Cassidy is just a troll.
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote:Lets say that NY times isn't a beast of political nature. the women are funny line was a direct shot towards male GB fans regardless if they liked the film or not.
Could you explain your thoughtprocess why that line is negatively directed at all male GBfans?
By Kingpin
timeware wrote:Are we ignoring the PR campaign that put 2016 in a negative light? The press was very adamant about one upping the other gender.

Posters like this didn't help 2016.
It's a bit of a weird pose and yeah, could be interpreted as a pelvic thrust, but that doesn't mean that it's anything sexual, or like the video you posted. You ever see someone mucking about with a water hose, they might end up in a pose like that. Even some fans have ended up looking a bit like that through no real intention.

Of the examples presented as indicating something sexist I honestly think that's one of the more subjective ones, more case of seeing something that isn't actually there.
timeware wrote:the women are funny line was a direct shot towards male GB fans regardless if they liked the film or not.
I presume I'm probably not the only person who liked the reboot who didn't feel the world stop turning once the New York Times printed that remark. It wasn't aimed at me, so why should I get bent out of shape?
timeware wrote:Concerning the dance scene he did surprise me when the final product came out and it wasn't an anti military slap.
And that's quite an interesting example. I didn't like it when I saw it in the end credits... yet it actually worked in the version that was featured in the extended cut, it was actually fun. We had so many people getting worked up that it was an affront to the military, and Police, and in the end it wasn't anything like the worst fears posted here.

And maybe that's one of the lessons of the reboot, a number of us got worked up into such a fervour that when they actually watched it, it wasn't nearly as bad as they built it up to be.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Alphagaia
Kingpin wrote:And maybe that's one of the lessons of the reboot, a number of us got worked up into such a fervour that when they actually watched it, it wasn't nearly as bad as they built it up to be.
Here ye here ye.
By Sav C
Hey, speaking of showing quotes in trailers, I was checking out the trailers for the best picture nominees, and most had quotes in them about the film. I thought to myself, what's the point if they say the same thing about every movie? Every movie seems to be called a "masterpiece" and the "best of the year". Anyone agree?
JurorNo.2 liked this
By featofstrength
Sav C wrote:Hey, speaking of showing quotes in trailers, I was checking out the trailers for the best picture nominees, and most had quotes in them about the film. I thought to myself, what's the point if they say the same thing about every movie? Every movie seems to be called a "masterpiece" and the "best of the year". Anyone agree?
Since "mediocre" has been "passable" to even "good" for some time, they must be as confused as everyone else.
2016 was a terrible, terrible year at the movies...however...if everything is terrible...then nothing is?

And, seriously, f*** Ryan Gosling.
By Sav C
So far I've only seen two of the top hundred from 2016--Ghostbusters and Finding Dory. Usually I wait for stuff to get to Netflix.
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:This is what most of the Oscar trailers looked like to me. :D
Is it weird that when they were dancing, I actually worried about the balloon popping? Lol
Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
So anyways....about the topic at hand

What's the last we heard on a GB2? I remember hearing it was pretty much a no go. Has there been movement on anything? The animated movie or a sequel to GB16? It's been a little quiet on the news front. That isn't a good omen. I can't see a GB2 happening. Not enough people liked it. Maybe if they could figure out a way to lower the budget... But even still the original was pretty much ignored and cost the studio quite a bit of money. I don't see why the movie needs to cost so much though. It's not like we are dealing with photo realistic CGI or major sets. I wonder where the money went. Filming in NYC is pricey. The movie didn't have any major league behind the scene players. What's even more interesting is that Rothman cut the budget down about 15-20 million if memory serves. I wonder how that affected the movie..

Has anyone seen/read the script for GB16?? That would be an interesting read. See what changed/evolved. Sometimes studios release scripts for award consideration, so maybe someone has a clue.
By mrmichaelt
We'll likely see news on Ecto Force this year before announcements about the next movie.

The last I heard anything about a sequel to ATC was last October. Feig admitted they talked about ideas for a sequel during production of ATC but they're more focused on recuperating.

The last we really heard about upcoming movies was last July I think? Reitman cleared up things on the Pearce treatment that's been abandoned, an unannounced movie he first alluded to in EMPIRE June '16 that they're in the middle of writing probably with both men and women on team, and the CGI movie that's also in the middle of being written. So since they're in the writing phase, there's nothing to announce so nothing to worry about. 2017 is going to be a light year compared to 2016, imo.

EDIT: November. On November 22, 2016, Ivan Reitman commented "there's going to be many other Ghostbusters movies, they're just in development right now" when asked about a sequel to Ghostbusters (2016). That Mr. Wavvy YT one at 18:33~18.41 mark.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Just showed ATC to my best friend from childhood, she hadn't seen it yet and just bought it (btw, it was nearly sold out ;)). I'll share more in the reviews thread, but we had a blast, she enjoyed it, I enjoy it more every time I see it. The chemistry between the ladies really clicks so well during the big battle at the end. I was about to get really bummed at the thought of no sequel. Then I realized my friend wasn't even thinking about that, she was just having a good time watching a movie. And then I also realized, fans managed quite well for 5 years with only one Ghostbusters movie. And what happened immediately after 1984? Not a sequel, but an animated series. Not that different from what we're hearing now. So ::shrugs:: whatever happens happens, I'm cool. :crunch::mrgreen: Boy what a night, we're both exhausted now, lol.
zeta otaku, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:Just showed ATC to my best friend from childhood, she hadn't seen it yet and just bought it (btw, it was nearly sold out ;)). I'll share more in the reviews thread, but we had a blast, she enjoyed it, I enjoy it more every time I see it. The chemistry between the ladies really clicks so well during the big battle at the end. I was about to get really bummed at the thought of no sequel. Then I realized my friend wasn't even thinking about that, she was just having a good time watching a movie. And then I also realized, fans managed quite well for 5 years with only one Ghostbusters movie. And what happened immediately after 1984? Not a sequel, but an animated series. Not that different from what we're hearing now. So ::shrugs:: whatever happens happens, I'm cool. :crunch::mrgreen: Boy what a night, we're both exhausted now, lol.

Well there was no sequel planned when they did GB in 1984. Unlike today movie studios weren't in "franchise mode". With GB2016 Sony was planning on a sequel, hence the after credits scene. Studios rarely make movies anymore with the intention of doing a "one and done". The popularity of Marvel has them all looking at shared universes etc. The trade off is some movies feel like television episodes now rather than a contained story.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
I get that everyone wants their own Marvel franchise right now, it's understandable. But that doesn't mean it's suddenly the only standard to measure a movie by. Movies are still movies whether they get a sequel or not. And btw fans who were offended by ATC for being a "cash grab" are the very last ones who should be demanding a franchise. ;) Can't have it both ways, you either embrace the business half of show business or you don't.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]