Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Alright. Time I post a thread that strikes a more postive tone(hopefully this hasn't been covered before, if so, my bad). Ok so let's name some *good* things about GB16.

Pretty much the only good thing I can think of is the Holtzman character. She felt like a character that Dan and Harold would've created. She had a real engery to her. She also felt like she could really fit in with the Extreme Ghostbusters team. I could even see Holtzman being some kind of Egon/Ray clone. She really feels like a combo of those two characters with a dash of Venkman wit.

So go ahead. List your favourite ideas, characters, production elements etc. Even if you hated the movie, like I did, there has to one teeny tiny thing you kind of enjoyed. Maybe there's even more than one. Talked about it on other threads? Who cares! List it here anyways! Let's get some postive vibes flowing. I'll cue up "Higher and Higher" and get the toaster ready.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 24th, 2016, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Removed unnecessarily detailed procreation bit.
Uhh, shoulda ended your description of Holtzman's lineage after "Egon/Ray clone" but I digress..

Things I liked about GB'16.. While I'm not normally a fan of Melissa McCarthy, I actually really liked her in the reboot. Yeah, slapstick was expected, but she added some good heart to the film (ala Ray). I really WANTED to love Holtzman, but her delivery was a bit too manic for me, the mad scientist archetype could have been toned down a bit and she would have been 100% the best part of GB'16 (and going in Kate McKinnon was the draw for me). Beyond that, Kevin.. I genuinely laughed out loud and thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job. Especially in how Kristen Wiig's character was in lust with him, and he was totally not having it/oblivious to it.

Beyond all of the actors, good ole Hook and Ladder 8!
Kingpin liked this
I don't hate this movie. It wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be, but I did feel the potential was wasted. Overall, it's pretty average, but entertaining.

As for things I liked (SPOILERS!):

-I genuinely felt for the Ghostbusters because of how the Mayors office treated them. I mean, did they REALLY have to tow the Ecto-1? Couldn't they have at least dropped the Ghostbusters off at their place?
-The evolution of the equipment was really cool to see, as it showcased how resourceful and scientific Holtzmann was.
-Patty was ultimately my favorite because I liked her reactions. The mannequin chase, and Abbys Exorcist head turn make me laugh everytime. That, and she provided the uniforms and car. Patty did a lot for the team.
Kingpin liked this
I liked the movie well enough, though there are also defintely some flaws to be found.

For me the hightpoint was, since I'm a effectsman, the special effects.
I know some people did not like them, but I absolutely loved the ghostdesigns, with a high note to Lady Eldridge, and the Haunted Balloons. Mayhem was a nice design as well, and the evil shot of slimer revving up the ecto-1 is a lovely one.
Alphagaia wrote:I liked the movie well enough, though there are also defintely some flaws to be found.

For me the hightpoint was, since I'm a effectsman, the special effects.
I know some people did not like them, but I absolutely loved the ghostdesigns, with a high note to Lady Eldridge, and the Haunted Balloons. Mayhem was a nice design as well, and the evil shot of slimer revving up the ecto-1 is a lovely one.
I actually found myself liking the same scene even with the Ecto being that brick on wheels.
IDDQD wrote:Uhh, shoulda ended your description of Holtzman's lineage after "Egon/Ray clone" but I digress..

Things I liked about GB'16.. While I'm not normally a fan of Melissa McCarthy, I actually really liked her in the reboot. Yeah, slapstick was expected, but she added some good heart to the film (ala Ray). I really WANTED to love Holtzman, but her delivery was a bit too manic for me, the mad scientist archetype could have been toned down a bit and she would have been 100% the best part of GB'16 (and going in Kate McKinnon was the draw for me). Beyond that, Kevin.. I genuinely laughed out loud and thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job. Especially in how Kristen Wiig's character was in lust with him, and he was totally not having it/oblivious to it.

Beyond all of the actors, good ole Hook and Ladder 8!
Egon tried to drill a hole thru his head, collects spores, moulds and fungus, plus Ray slept with the mood slime. Hence Venkman and Winston's shocked reaction). I think it would be entirely in character for them to experiment with some postive male mood slime, if you get my drift. Now originally I was only kidding but now that I truly think about it? I could totally see them doing that. Yep that's right. I went there.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 24th, 2016, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Removed unnecessarily detailed procreation bit.
I can name 3 things I liked.

1-That there WERE women in the main cast. They're not the women I want. We already have established female busters that deserve some screen time. But there were at least some women there, so that's good.

2-The end action seen. I liked holtzman's whip moves. abby losing her glasses in the fight was just stupid, but the rest of that was good.

3-I had friends that got to work on it. Not me personally. But it's nice to know that people I care about poured their hearts into it

There's still a lot I don't like about it, but there are these positives
Kingpin wrote:I went ahead and removed the more colourful descriptions about procreation because they were a little bit inappropriate for the forum.
Lol now the first comment reads very strange. You didn't edit the second use of "semen"--in brackets --so it reads kind of random. I'm not complaining, you're the mod, but it's a tad funny.
I for one really liked the opening. I thought it felt truly Ghostbusters, sure there was a few cringey lines there, but it felt like Ghostbusters, i can't explain it. A very throwaway joke but it was one of the few moments I laughed was the flasher ghost who flashed his rib cage, again, it felt like something from the classic films. I also really liked the look of the stilt ghost, his look was fantastic and I really would've been happy if he was the big baddy of the film, his look and presence in the end was ominous and always there. Even if he was used like a minion/second in command, I think that would've been great, he definitely needed more screen time. But there's too much there that I don't like to say I enjoy the film, just far too many questionable choices throughout.
LeChuck liked this
I liked the ending credits. Not the sequence with Hemsworth Dancing, but I did like the animated proton blasts and the little insides of the equipment they were showing during the end credits. Like Slimer flying around the credits the Ecto 1 driving around and the way they introduced the actresses during the end credits looked pretty epic.

During the finale it was hard to not get pumped when Holtsman whipped out the duel proton pistols and then have them retract back into the proton pack when she was finished.

Even though I didn't really care for the redesign of the classic gear. I really enjoyed the new equipment like the Ghost Grenades and Ghost Chipper.

Those are my highlights. :):):)
Kingpin wrote:I got it sorted now, though an acknowledgement that maybe it was a little inappropriate to post would be nice. :)
Actually I was suprised. I didn't think it was too out of line at all for a movie that has its fair share of sexual goings on, swearing etc. It was PG-13. It's not like I used lewd terms, just scientifically accurate terms. But it's all good. I didn't think it was out of line for a GB forum, as far as content, but it wasn't really necessary for an opening thread post and I think the point gets across without it. I'll just blame it on my morning coffee & J.
The movie surprisingly had less crude humor then the transformers films. Least they didn't have one of the characters saying "How do you get the F out of my way in Chinese!" Although I found it funny, I kind of have mixed feelings about marketing the humor towards the older generation but still selling toys to kids that aren't able to see the movie yet.
I didn't hate it by any means. I'd even say I enjoyed it, just not as a Ghostbusters movie.

Having said that it will come as no surprise that the highlights for me were when it felt like it was coming closest to being a proper GB movie, namely the scenes with ghosts. The Aldridge mansion opening and later ghost scene, the subway ghost (my favourite in the film and the creepiest) , the flasher ghost, the Times Square ghosts, the balloons. These were all very well and any could have fit easily into a Ghostbusters 3. The only one I didn't like was the dragon.
Okay I'll bite:

- I really liked the proton streams. The child in me gets giddy watching them in action.
- The 3D is incredible.
- Everything about the float parade was bang on point.
- "You found my pipe"
- The fact there are now two versions of the film, with different merits, will really extend the longevity for me.
The new ghostbusting gadgets were fun, and I did like Holtzmann, probably because Kate McKinnon was clearly having a lot of fun with the role.

And in truth, as much as I dump on the movie, there were nuggets of good things in there. I like the idea of a human adversary, since the GB's can't just zap and trap, so there's more tension and complexity. I liked the idea that Erin Gilbert had a sort-of character arc, desperate for legitimacy as a scientist while fighting the fear and stigma of being the "ghost girl." And I did like the idea of Slimer stealing the Ecto-1 to go on a road trip with all his ghoulie buddies... but I give zero ground on Slimette. That was just... just awful.

I wish the good things had been better established and developed. I feel like just a few tweaks here and there could have made VAST improvements with minimal reshooting or editing. Hell, if the 'Ghost Girl' speech had more of a recurring impact on Gilbert's character on-screen, it could have turned the entire movie around for me, personally. As Maxwell Smart always said... "Missed it by THAT much."
RichardLess wrote:I didn't think it was too out of line at all for a movie that has its fair share of sexual goings on, swearing etc. It was PG-13. It's not like I used lewd terms, just scientifically accurate terms.
The sexual goings-on were still fairly reserved compared to what they could've done (and even had in earlier drafts of the script) - they shouldn't be taken as an open invitation to post similar, or not-so-similar stuff. We tend to try keep things clean/tame for some of the younger members who are legally allowed to post here. :)
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]