Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By timeware
I know how I sound. You don't want to admit what i'm asking. why do you not want to know the voting data for adults/vs kids? This is the last time i'm asking you since you keep dodging.

The Negativity surrounding ATC goes both ways, it's not just one sided. How many times have I called out the douche patrol Milo and Cassidy?
pferreira1983 liked this
Then it will be the last time you're asking, because I'm not playing this game.

I know you've called them out and I don't think you're a douche or like them.
If you would ask me I think the producers could have a say in who wins or not. It's not uncommon to invent awards where the money decides who wins. It's almost like buying a commercial. Weird though Marvel and Disney did not overshadow Sony in this. Not sure if it's legal though.

IF the election is rigged, I believe that ploy to be way more likely then adult voters overshadowing the kids, since this award is imo not that important a win. I would love to know how it works exactly, but it's impossible to say without Nickelodeon giving detailed voting results.

However, any way you cut it, it's publicity for our franchise, might create more fans and love for the new and old outings. You could say it's sleazy if the election is bought and imo you would be right in thinking so and want an honest vote, but luckily the end result is still positive for GB.
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
Yeah, no one should deny all that was learned and gleaned to make it such a revered time.
There are many reasons to revere the 80s, but there are many reasons to revere EVERY decade. You revere the 80s because it's your time. But there are people older than you who revere their time, and think your time spoiled things (though they didn't have a year long hissy fit over it). And there will be people younger than you who revere their time and will forget yours. That is the order of things. A lot of perspective is needed.
You're glossing back to a distilled "80s" like you don't enjoy "Stranger Things" or something.
The time in film I described doesn't belong to one single generation, but 2 maybe 3.
featofstrength wrote:You're glossing back to a distilled "80s"
Lol, never been accused of that. My tweet with Curt Smith says otherwise. I simply know the film industry is older than 30 years ago. The 80s is incredibly recent in the grand scheme and I do find it strange that geekdom's knowledge of film history largely seems to stop there (with a Star Wars or Jaws thrown in for good measure...though the only thing they ever seem to know about Jaws is that the shark didn't work). It sounds like you're elevating one particular time period because that was when the blockbuster came into its own. That's fine. But not everyone divides up the history of film as "pre blockbuster" and "post blockbuster."
like you don't enjoy "Stranger Things" or something.
Never have seen it. But I do remember thinking That 80s Show was a stereotyped version of the 80s, and wasn't all that surprised when it was cancelled. Not that That 70s Show was the epitome of accuracy either.
The time in film I described doesn't belong to one single generation, but 2 maybe 3.
Sure, I get that.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
At least until they remake Groundhog Day, right? With Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
I mean, the original wasn't all that great anyway, so... :P
They already did remake Groundhog Day. :-D

Here:

And now here:

Anyway, about creating a better environment, I just think we all have very different ideas of what that would look like. Some want to to enjoy a movie. Others want it completely forgotten and/or continually bashed. No real middle ground here, heh. Though it isn't really that urgent since the board isn't all that busy anyway. For this very reason.
Look for "È già ieri" (It's already yesterday), it's an explicit declared Italian remake of Groundhog Day.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:(with a Star Wars or Jaws thrown in for good measure...though the only thing they ever seem to know about Jaws is that the shark didn't work).
I can one up that--while shooting the final sequence, the boat the camera was on started to take on water and the camera was submerged with the film in it (and also I believe other reels that had been shot were submerged). They had to rush it to the lab and develop it so that the salt water didn't ruin what had been shot.

It really is a masterful sequence the way it was shot and edited.
Alphagaia wrote:Intervention!
Juror, watch Stranger Things!
It's an ode to the (style of the) 80's filled with (obscure) Easter eggs and nods to films from that era. Very fun Netflix series.
Juror, you like Start Trek a lot right? You'd probably enjoy Stranger Things quite a bit.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Sigh. He needed 4 posts to just repeat the same thing all over again
Alph, what you said above simply isn't true.

My last four posts were: 1. Talking to Commander Jim about the Kids Choice Awards, and bad arguments by both sides this debate. 2. Talking to Juror about whether fans "want the franchise to die rather than connect to GB16", and that this franchise can survive the bad movie that is GB16. 3. Pointing out to you that you did miss the point of my previous post. GB16 compared to successful films isn't a case of "big numbers vs big numbers", it's a case of big loss vs big profit. And I finally found actual numbers of DVD/Bluray sales. Sorry if you missed the significance of this, actual $ numbers instead of just a ranking without knowing whether the #19 spot GB16 occupied meant it had become popular and profitable. (pro-tip, it didn't) And pointing out your "downer" comment. And 4. Talking to Juror about how the kids didn't see GB16 in the same numbers the saw other films, the establishment's futile backing of GB16, and the state of this forum.

So, four different posts. Not "4 posts to just repeat the same thing all over again" as you claimed.
Alphagaia wrote:while glossing over I already addressed the blue rays and DVD's by comparing big numbers and big numbers and saying those are not the be all end all what makes a movie enjoyable.
Again, your "comparing big numbers and big numbers" is wrong. When the successful movie in question has 4 times the box office and twice the DVD/Bluray sales, there is no equivalence. And your argument "those are not the be all end all what makes a movie enjoyable" completely missed the point I made that not enough kids saw GB16 to enjoy it or not, compared to other movies in the poll. That's at best an incredibly bad misreading of my post, on your part.

Yet you accuse me of "glossing over" stuff, when I didn't, while that's an extremely charitable interpretation of what you actually did above.
Alphagaia wrote:Claiming things like being the voice of the general public when reviews where al over the place is just silly. But let's not go that route again for the millionth time and sour another thread with the same heated arguments we have been having for months and expect a different result. We know already how we differ and interpret the numbers and the user reviews.
No Alph, I provided evidence to back my point. Trying to claim reviews as evidence otherwise is silly considering they are mixed, and at odds with strong audience reaction, box office, and DVD/bluray sales all against GB16. And the PC pressure against critics (Roeper and Rolfe are well known examples) to give favorable reviews.

We've been over this a millionth time because you haven't logically interpreted the numbers and reviews, you have ignored basic logic to support your faulty arguments. Like accepting the outlying critic reviews over the majority of evidence including evidence the reviews as a whole were skewed for PC. Or for another example your earlier fallacy of trying to use median instead of average to mitigate strong approving and disapproving votes on OPINION POLLS about a very divisive movie and marketing campaign. And outright saying stuff about my previous posts that just isn't true. LOL.
Alphagaia wrote:I never intended to claim a Kids Choice Award is the proof this movie is a masterpiece. We all know I regard the movie the same as GB2 on terms of enjoyment. I'm just happy the GBfranchise might get some new recruits and new recognition.
Alph, you also posted the title that GB16 "won big". That's a main point of contention this thread, not getting new recruits. (See my earlier post this thread about hoping it encourages people to watch a good GB show next).
Alphagaia wrote:This is not Groundhog Day where we need to keep spinning the same wheel instead of focusing on other things and create a better environment for both of us. Let's get out of this loop that both teams seem to suck each other in and both stop with passive aggressiveness.

Peace?
Alph, actually addressing my points and evidence would be fine. Peace. :cool:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
At least until they remake Groundhog Day, right? With Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
I mean, the original wasn't all that great anyway, so... :P
They already did remake Groundhog Day. :-D

Here:

And now here:

I've heard I need to see Edge of Tomorrow.

And I enjoyed Before I Fall though I think it's a sad ending. How did you like it?
Kingpin wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Apparently, some adults CO-OPTED A SIMPLE CHILDREN'S AWARDS SHOW POLL to get GB16 some positive news. How sleazy and pathetic is that? :walterpeck:
About as sleazy and pathetic as suggesting there was a concerted conspiracy when you have absolutely no proof to back that up, not even the slightest suggestion something improper actually went on this time other than an unwillingness to accept the reboot might've actually won something on its own merit. Just because there was an incident in the past doesn't mean it happened now, all it does mean is you get the chance to club anyone who critiqued how anti-reboot fans got together to skew the youtube numbers, with supposed vote rigging in favour of the reboot.

Look, this is frankly getting a little bit sad. I get people didn't like the reboot, I get people think the movie was made for the wrong reasons, be they commercial or political.

But this rampant conspiracy theorising is getting out of hand. Too many of you are so focussed on some grand picture that's hidden behind the curtain rather than employing Occam's Razor.
Kingpin, Occam's Razor suggests to me not enough kids saw GB16 to vote for it to win at Nickelodeon. That's why I made the underlined point. I posted the box office and DVD/Bluray sales not to show profitability this time, but viewership compared to other movies in the running. That, and Commander Jim's post that the producers, not the kids, made the actual vote, and past history is pretty good proof.

Actually, his proof is a lot better than mine, LOL. And the conclusion, that the kids vote didn't count, does seem the simplest and most plausible.
HunterCC, I did not mean you said the same thing in 4 back to back posts, I meant you just rehashed all your old points from previous discussions you have against the movie for the millionth time. Which is why I do not feel the need to respond to it. We did not see eye to eye before and it's another thread derailment. It just leads to more hostility and us just not agreeing about different ways to interpret numbers, like taking into account fanboys and detractors influencing a general public score or not.

And just now you bring back my preference of the median and all the other old stuff to which we massively differ in opinion. It's just old discussion on old discussion for you, which turned into a yes/no argument and you just 'blocking' me. I do not believe this time the discussion will go any different.

Last, the GB:ATC won big title is from the article I copy pasted. I can change it into 'GB franchise about to get some new recruits' or something if you wish, but this was quicker to do on the phone while giving Tobin his midnight bottle.
HunterCC wrote:Kingpin, Occam's Razor suggests to me not enough kids saw GB16 to vote for it to win at Nickelodeon.
An opinion, rather than a proven fact. The film's out on DVD/bluray now, and on some streaming services, it's now available for kids who didn't see it at the cinema to watch it. The final decision may well have been made by the producers, but it doesn't mean that there's a decent helping of kids who are now familiar with the film.

Case in point, I was first introduced to Ghostbusters II via its VHS release.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Kingpin, Occam's Razor suggests to me not enough kids saw GB16 to vote for it to win at Nickelodeon.
An opinion, rather than a proven fact. The film's out on DVD/bluray now, and on some streaming services, it's now available for kids who didn't see it at the cinema to watch it. The final decision may well have been made by the producers, but it doesn't mean that there's a decent helping of kids who are now familiar with the film.

Case in point, I was first introduced to Ghostbusters II via its VHS release.
Kinda sad basically the classic GB stuff is in "re-reuns" so to speak, like netflixs and old media.

Yes, the idea not enough kids saw GB16 to vote it a winner is an opinion, but there is evidence to support it. 1 billion $ box office for Dory and 1 quarter billion box office for GB16. While proportions of parents to children may not be uniform worldwide, or even the ticket price and the studio's cut, for such large sample size, and both movies being in the same theaters (subtract 38 million from Dory for China, so just under a billion for Dory, lol. note GB16 is actually less than 1/4 bil ), it's fair to say that for every kid that saw GB16 in the theater, 4 kids saw Dory. (I bet most of the kids that saw GB16 also saw Dory, so one could say for every 4 kids that saw Dory, 3 didn't see GB16, but you get the idea) Dory "only" sold double the DVD/blurays as GB16, (the numbers and people buying a disc vs ticket are smaller, $69 mil and 32 mil in the US, and also for example US walmart DVDs $10-15, $8 average US ticket price, and but again...more. Consider zootopia, Civil war, pets, etc., also got more views than GB16.. and yeah, not seeing kids voting GB16 in nickelodeon's poll.

It's not a case of no kids seeing GB16, its a case of a lot more kids seeing those other movies and not seeing GB16. Even though different media has different proportions, 4 times Dory box office vs 2 times disc sale we're still talking a big difference. Don't know the streaming numbers, I suspect they are huge, but I can't think of any reason those numbers wouldn't be similarly lopsided.

Again, long story short, I question the idea that enough kids saw GB16 to vote it a winner in that poll, even if their vote had counted instead of the producers. So many more kids saw other movies instead.
I was just over at the Marvel board on Reddit. I was curious to see if they were annoyed about Civil War not winning Kids Choice. Turns out many of them enjoyed ATC and felt it wasn't given a chance. No rants about how the awards "must have been rigged" either. No comments about box office either. One user did mention the 73% Fresh rating though (correcting someone else's misconception that critics didn't like it :) ). Something is very wrong when the Marvel board is more supportive of ATC than most GB fansites...

Meanwhile, the DC board is just glad SS won something. ;)
Alphagaia, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
Just a little heads up regarding the Dory and GB:ATC comparison.
Dory won the animated movie category.
GB 'only' beat Civil Wars, Rogue One, Pete's Dagon, Batman vs Superman and the new Turtles movie. I reckon the six nominees are chosen by the producers. Does not change your point very much, but it at least helps gets your facts a little bit straighter and gives a bit more insight regarding the procedure and explains why the animated movies you mentioned did not overshadow GB:ATC.

If you would ask me: out of that group I personally only liked Civil Wars better, but I can understand kids digging the concept of catching ghosts to be more refreshing, the pace is fast and the movie is bright, scary and has some 'adult' jokes as well as kids stuff when compared to the newest Marvel stuff, and I personally only liked the last 20 minutes of Rogue one. Apart from that kids can actually find Rogue One very boring during the middle and the characters/actors unrecognisable.
The other movies I did not like as much as GB and Civil War. For me, it's not a stretch kids really liked what they saw.
Alphagaia wrote:HunterCC, I did not mean you said the same thing in 4 back to back posts, I meant you just rehashed all your old points from previous discussions you have against the movie for the millionth time..
Wow, Alph. What you said above is blatantly untrue about your own post. Just like what you said about my previous posts was false. You said:
Alphagaia wrote:Sigh. He needed 4 posts to just repeat the same thing all over again while glossing over
(Snip more of Alph's falsehoods and fallacious arguments)
Again:
Alphagaia wrote:4 posts to just repeat the same thing all over again
(underline mine)

Yeah, Alph, you literally said that I had said "just" "the same thing" in the 4 posts. Which I proved was a falsehood on your part in a following post. I covered several topics total with you and other people in those posts, and for example the new info on disc sales. Now you just said something untrue about your own earlier post. Why do you keep denying stuff we can all see?
Alphagaia wrote: Which is why I do not feel the need to respond to it. We did not see eye to eye before and it's another thread derailment. It just leads to more hostility and us just not agreeing about different ways to interpret numbers, like taking into account fanboys and detractors influencing a general public score or not.
You say you don't feel the need to respond to it, yet you keep making fallacious arguments about it. Alph, just a tip, saying or doing something, and then denying you did it, does not mean you didn't do it.

And the hostility is all yours, Alph. From your "downer" and "fanboy" insults, to literal falsehoods you have made about my posts and yours.

And I have explained the numbers many times, and shown why your interpretations are flawed. For example, guess why the "fanboys and detractors" as you put it, influenced GB16 as opposed to Force Awakens, Rogue One, Fury Road, the Hunger Games series, etc.
Alphagaia wrote:And just now you bring back my preference of the median and all the other old stuff to which we massively differ in opinion. It's just old discussion on old discussion for you, which turned into a yes/no argument and you just 'blocking' me. I do not believe this time the discussion will go any different..
No, I just brought that up as another example of your illogic. LMAO, no, I put you on ignore after you made insulting remarks to me, then denied it.
Alphagaia wrote:Last, the GB:ATC won big title is from the article I copy pasted. I can change it into 'GB franchise about to get some new recruits' or something if you wish, but this was quicker to do on the phone while giving Tobin his midnight bottle.
Nope, that title just mean you and others tried to say GB16 "won big", using a kid's show where kids voted but the producers actually decided the winner. Let it stand, for honesty's sake.

And congrats on your child, though that has about as much to do with this topic as my kids and their kids.

And it really looks like you are the one trying to derail this thread by getting personal with the blatant falsehoods and name calling people against that bad movie GB16. Again, addressing my actual posts would be fine. Let's stay on topic, shall we?
JurorNo.2 wrote:I was just over at the Marvel board on Reddit. I was curious to see if they were annoyed about Civil War not winning Kids Choice. Turns out many of them enjoyed ATC and felt it wasn't given a chance. No rants about how the awards "must have been rigged" either. No comments about box office either. One user did mention the 73% Fresh rating though (correcting someone else's misconception that critics didn't like it :) ). Something is very wrong when the Marvel board is more supportive of ATC than most GB fansites...

Meanwhile, the DC board is just glad SS won something. ;)
Probably the same reason Star Trek fans really hated Nemesis, and Godzilla fans came up withe the nickname GINO "Godzilla in name only" for the 1998 US version. A dog turd is worse if it's in your front yard, instead of someone else's. Lol.
HunterCC wrote:
Probably the same reason Star Trek fans really hated Nemesis, and Godzilla fans came up withe the nickname GINO "Godzilla in name only" for the 1998 US version. A dog turd is worse if it's in your front yard, instead of someone else's. Lol.
One gaping hole in your logic -- No one, but no one, liked Nemesis, lol.

And you're doing nothing to disprove the downer accusation. ;)
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on March 16th, 2017, 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alphagaia wrote:Just a little heads up regarding the Dory and GB:ATC comparison.
I had forgotten that too. Yeah, we all need to pay more attention. ;)
If you would ask me: out of that group I personally only liked Civil Wars better, but I can understand kids digging the concept of catching ghosts to be more refreshing, the pace is fast and the movie is bright, scary and has some 'adult' jokes as well as kids stuff when compared to the newest Marvel stuff
I've seen other people online say this, that kids like the ghostbusting more than a comic book movie trying to be all political.
and I personally only liked the last 20 minutes of Rogue one.
Yeah safe to say Rogue One doesn't have the same overall good will around it as Force Awakens.
Alphagaia liked this
By Sav C
HunterCC wrote:Meantime, there was a report about ghostbusters 2016 merch, no numbers there. Hmmm.
At least they won't blame us when the world becomes largely uninhabitable due to discarded plastic...
Sorry Force Awakens fans, that was mean.
Kingpin wrote:Case in point, I was first introduced to Ghostbusters II via its VHS release.
I was introduced to both films from there 2005 DVD release.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this
By timeware
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:

Personally I liked Nemesis. I do however agree with you on Godzilla being a steaming pile of shit. The robot chicken version was a thousand times better.
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:Just a little heads up regarding the Dory and GB:ATC comparison.
GB 'only' beat Civil Wars, Rogue One, Pete's Dagon, Batman vs Superman and the new Turtles movie. I reckon the six nominees are chosen by the producers. Does not change your point very much, but it at least helps gets your facts a little bit straighter and gives a bit more insight regarding the procedure and explains why the animated movies you mentioned did not overshadow GB:ATC.
Good point, Alph! So animated movies apparently aren't inclued also in the "movies" category, so GB16 wasn't competing against Dory in the Nick awards. And thanks for acknowledging my point still applies to Civil War, Rogue One, etc.
Alphagaia wrote:If you would ask me: out of that group I personally only liked Civil Wars better, but I can understand kids digging the concept of catching ghosts to be more refreshing, the pace is fast and the movie is bright, scary and has some 'adult' jokes as well as kids stuff when compared to the newest Marvel stuff, and I personally only liked the last 20 minutes of Rogue one. Apart from that kids can actually find Rogue One very boring during the middle and the characters/actors unrecognisable.
The other movies I did not like as much as GB and Civil War. For me, it's not a stretch kids really liked what they saw.
Kids, including little girls, love playing with Cap and Hulk and Thor figures. Not Black Widow figures surprisingly, kinda wonder if there were any of those around. And love anything Star Wars as much as adult fans do, lol. Was a little surprised Fantastic Beasts wasn't included with all these semi adult PG and PG13 stuff, but heard that movie was too scary to take little ones to see.
Last edited by HunterCC on March 16th, 2017, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By HunterCC
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:
Ttt
I think the real hate on Nemesis came from the Trekkers, but agree to disagree if you want.

Aw come on, the joke was funny. But on a more positive note, this tune is a good pick-me-up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHv9r28DTUE

And how did you like Before I Fall?
JurorNo.2 liked this
HunterCC wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Ttt
I think the real hate on Nemesis came from the Trekkers, but agree to disagree if you want.

Aw come on, the joke was funny. But on a more positive note, this tune is a good pick-me-up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHv9r28DTUE
Nemesis helped to kill a franchise, it's a big reason we have the reboots now. I will not stand by while Nemesis is defended over ATC, lol.

On Our Own is always a good pick me up. :mrgreen:

Oh, I didn't actually see Before I Fall, I just saw the trailer. I'll check it out when it's on Amazon.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 16th, 2017, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: fixed quote code
By Sav C
HunterCC wrote:Don't know the streaming numbers, I suspect they are huge, but I can't think of any reason those numbers wouldn't be similarly lopsided.
Well, I don't know any of the numbers either, but I do know that ATC was the MOW on iTunes about a month or two back. If my memory serves correctly Finding Dory has not been the MOW. I have a feeling ATC reached a lot of people when they made it 99¢, since it was put back into the top movie slot for the week.

Anyways, that's one possible reason they wouldn't be lopsided. Just my assumptions.
Alphagaia, HunterCC liked this
Sav C wrote: At least they won't blame us when the world becomes largely uninhabitable due to discarded plastic...
That is becoming a real problem. Plus they can't blame us for Chinese labor either. ;)
Sav C liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]