Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Alphagaia wrote:
But this is not Groundhog Day where we need to keep spinning the same wheel instead of focusing on other things and create a better environment for both of us. Let's get out of this loop that both teams seem to suck each other in and both stop with passive aggressiveness.
At least until they remake Groundhog Day, right? With Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
I mean, the original wasn't all that great anyway, so... :P
pferreira1983 liked this
featofstrength wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
But this is not Groundhog Day where we need to keep spinning the same wheel instead of focusing on other things and create a better environment for both of us. Let's get out of this loop that both teams seem to suck each other in and both stop with passive aggressiveness.
At least until they remake Groundhog Day, right? With Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
They already did remake Groundhog Day. :-D

Here:

And now here:

Anyway, about creating a better environment, I just think we all have very different ideas of what that would look like. Some want to to enjoy a movie. Others want it completely forgotten and/or continually bashed. No real middle ground here, heh. Though it isn't really that urgent since the board isn't all that busy anyway. For this very reason.
Alphagaia wrote:Ow joy. The tired 'a remake is only there to replace and fix the faults of the original movie' argument​ again. I'm​ really starting to feel like Bill Murray hoping the next day will be different.
Here's what I keep coming back to. Don't like ATC? Then when aren't you posting more on the original movies' board? :cool:
Kingpin, Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
featofstrength wrote: At least until they remake Groundhog Day, right? With Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
Oh and you know it's a Broadway musical now too, right? It got the most London nominations of 2017, and now previews start in New York tomorrow! I'll share a review if I get to see it.

http://www.groundhogdaymusical.com/
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on March 15th, 2017, 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Well, everyone should be able to comment on whatever topic they want, I just wish the arguments progressed instead of a yes/no thing no one will benefit from. Some people hate the movie, others are impartial and some love it.

Now kiss and stop Groundhogging all the threads with the same tired arguments for your case!

Also, while I loved the remake of Little Shop of Horrors, I would not mind watching a different take on it in this day and age!
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Also, while I loved the remake of Little Shop of Horrors, I would not mind watching a different take on it in this day and age!
My Dad loves the 1960 Little Shop of Horrors. He was never all that interested in the 1986 version. Amazingly, he didn't make it his life's work to bash it into oblivion, hehe. That's another thing geekdom doesn't understand today. They think nostalgia starts and ends with the 1980s, heh. They don't realize remakes are nothing new and are far from the end of the world.
Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Also, while I loved the remake of Little Shop of Horrors, I would not mind watching a different take on it in this day and age!
My Dad loves the 1960 Little Shop of Horrors. He was never all that interested in the 1986 version. That's another thing geekdom doesn't understand today. They think nostalgia starts and ends with the 1980s, heh. They don't realize remakes are nothing new and are far from the end of the world.
Yeah yeah yeah...talk down to people like they aren't aware of "The Thing" and it's history in some weird, backhanded positive spin for the GBoot.

Please give me a sermon on the merits of "Only the Lonely" and "Miracle of 34th St '94" next.
pferreira1983 liked this
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
My Dad loves the 1960 Little Shop of Horrors. He was never all that interested in the 1986 version. That's another thing geekdom doesn't understand today. They think nostalgia starts and ends with the 1980s, heh. They don't realize remakes are nothing new and are far from the end of the world.
Yeah yeah yeah...talk down to people like they aren't aware of "The Thing" and it's history in some weird, backhanded positive spin for the GBoot.
Oi, honey, not everything is exclusively about the GBoot. Modern day geeks in general have always had this blind spot and it has always bugged the hell out of me. The '80s are the ultimate sacred decade, how dare anyone touch it. They have no idea movies existed before they were born, nevermind remakes. No idea that previous generations didn't always appreciate their movies being remade in the 80s. And by and large, modern day geeks don't care to learn.

Btw, thanks for the additional example. One of my dad's favorite movies is Thing From Another World. The Thing probably his least favorite, lol. Same with Body Snatchers.

And you have no problem with spin so long as it's as negative as possible. ;)
Please give me a sermon on the merits "Miracle of 34th St '94" next.
Hell no, lol. My friend prefers it to the original, but not me. Guess what, we didn't argue about it for a year. You still don't get it. No one is saying "all remakes are good." They just don't warrant the utter bile we witnessed this past year. And I stand by what I said, if geeks had a more complete sense of history beyond "Back to the Future was awesome!," they'd understand this.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on March 15th, 2017, 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alphagaia liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:We won't hear anything from GB16 in a LOOOOOOOONG time.
Apart from... you know... the tie-in/crossover comic IDW is publishing, and the 2016 Ecto-1 (and maybe some gear) appearing in the to-be-published Haynes Ecto-1 manual.
HunterCC wrote:Apparently, some adults CO-OPTED A SIMPLE CHILDREN'S AWARDS SHOW POLL to get GB16 some positive news. How sleazy and pathetic is that? :walterpeck:
About as sleazy and pathetic as suggesting there was a concerted conspiracy when you have absolutely no proof to back that up, not even the slightest suggestion something improper actually went on this time other than an unwillingness to accept the reboot might've actually won something on its own merit. Just because there was an incident in the past doesn't mean it happened now, all it does mean is you get the chance to club anyone who critiqued how anti-reboot fans got together to skew the youtube numbers, with supposed vote rigging in favour of the reboot.

Look, this is frankly getting a little bit sad. I get people didn't like the reboot, I get people think the movie was made for the wrong reasons, be they commercial or political.

But this rampant conspiracy theorising is getting out of hand. Too many of you are so focussed on some grand picture that's hidden behind the curtain rather than employing Occam's Razor.
timeware wrote:Again i'm looking out for the kids since this is a kids choice awards show
Sorry, but I'm gonna call that out as bull. The timing for your sudden concern regarding this is a little too convenient.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:
They already did remake Groundhog Day. :-D

Here:

And now here:

Anyway, about creating a better environment, I just think we all have very different ideas of what that would look like. Some want to to enjoy a movie. Others want it completely forgotten and/or continually bashed. No real middle ground here, heh. Though it isn't really that urgent since the board isn't all that busy anyway. For this very reason.

They even made it into a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTcY9- ... ture=share
JurorNo.2 liked this
featofstrength wrote:I don't know what kind of response you are looking for other than "f*** you, too?"
If you pretend the rest of my post didn't exist, sure.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:I don't know what kind of response you are looking for other than "f*** you, too?"
If you pretend the rest of my post didn't exist, sure.
Just as you can ignore me describing what followed as condescension and generalization?

So...yeah...f*** you, too, I guess...or should we go with the passive aggressive "agree to disagree?"
Last edited by featofstrength on March 15th, 2017, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
featofstrength wrote:
Just as you can ignore me describing what followed as condescension and generalization?

So...yeah...f*** you, too, I guess.
Debate me then. Don't just whine about it. I get condescended to online all the time. And generalizations are a short hand, but they're not lies.

And agree to disagree is not passive aggressive. It's simply acknowledging a reality.
Kingpin liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote:

So...yeah...f*** you, too, I guess.
Debate me then. Don't just whine about it. I get condescended to online all the time. And generalizations are a short hand, but they're not lies.

And agree to disagree is not passive aggressive. It's simply acknowledging a reality.
What are you wanting to debate, exactly? Please clarify?
Your "all geeks need to get over the 80s?"
pferreira1983 liked this
featofstrength wrote: What are you wanting to debate, exactly? Please clarify?
Geeks need to realize they aren't the only generation that matters, in regards to both the past and the future.
featofstrength wrote:So...yeah...f*** you, too, I guess...or should we go with the passive aggressive "agree to disagree?"
How is "agree to disagree" more passive aggressive than "so... yeah... f*** you".

-Which, by the way, wasn't the least bit necessary, feat.
featofstrength wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Oi, honey....
Great way to lead into more condescension and generalizing...I don't know what kind of response you are looking for other than "f*** you, too?" beyond that point.
Pot kettle, imo. Let's all just stop this derailing behavior. All it does is increase the hostility and for what? A childrens network promoted Ghostbusters to kids.
Kingpin liked this
By Sav C
Scarface with Al Pacino was a remake. Michael P Moran was in it, and he was also Frank in the beginning of Ghostbusters II. I never met him personally, but he was a friend of a friend. It's kind of cool having that connection!
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote:Peace?
Peace.

Speaking of peace, they're planning on holding two more days of peace and music--they're planning on holding a Woodstock festival in 2019. It's celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the original festival. It should be cool. :love:

Just putting that out there.
Last edited by Sav C on March 15th, 2017, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote: What are you wanting to debate, exactly? Please clarify?
Geeks need to realize they aren't the only generation that matters, in regards to both the past and the future.
Yeah, no one should deny all that was learned and gleaned to make it such a revered time.

And it's bigger than just "the 80s" but not by much.
Whether they realize or not, it has more to do career of Steven Spielberg 1975-1993. And a dash of Disney's comeback in the late 80s-early 90s.
To me, that era is a peak as time stands now. It doesn't diminish the importance of the climb. Can anyone deny that? (Well...maybe the four year olds that like to see Minions movies, lol.)
By timeware
Sorry, but I'm gonna call that out as bull. The timing for your sudden concern regarding this is a little too convenient.
Call it bull if you want. I have had an issue with how Kids Choice Awards have operated for the past few years now. Allowing non parent adults to vote in these things leads to easy abuse. It doesn't bother me that kids voted for 2016. It bothers me that people are ignoring adults interfered with what should be a straight up kids show.
featofstrength wrote:
Yeah, no one should deny all that was learned and gleaned to make it such a revered time.
There are many reasons to revere the 80s, but there are many reasons to revere EVERY decade. You revere the 80s because it's your time. But there are people older than you who revere their time, and think your time spoiled things (though they didn't have a year long hissy fit over it). And there will be people younger than you who revere their time and will forget yours. That is the order of things. A lot of perspective is needed.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on March 15th, 2017, 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
timeware wrote:I have had an issue with how Kids Choice Awards have operated for the past few years now.
Even if that's true, that's extremely silly. ;)

It was already suggested to you that Tumblr teens (who are most definitely children) probably voted for ATC. They are a big, organized group, despite fanboy mockery. From what I've heard, using hashtags also counted as voting. It's also been explained to you that the voting is also handled by producers. This is true, btw, of reality shows like Project Runway and Top Chef. It's nothing new, and it's not some evil conspiracy. If it was, they wouldn't include a disclaimer, they'd just hide it. ;) It's Television, not the Presidential election, lol. Heck, even the Presidential election is decided by the electoral college, not the popular vote. There are reasons for this, it's not just to be mean to voters. ATC didn't dominate every category, it won some. Not a big deal. And it should not have to constantly apologize for existing or apologize for getting some praise once and awhile, especially after the ridiculous beating it's received.

And frankly, even if I didn't like ATC, I'd just be glad my franchise overall was finally getting some positive attention. Certainly beats being associated with hacking a woman's website (btw, Milo and his cultists got exactly what they deserved recently). That is real bigger picture here.
Kingpin liked this
By timeware
Its my choice to be silly, but that's how I feel. I grew up watching the kids choice awards and it should be kept for kids by kids.
Not a big deal. And it should not have to constantly apologize for existing or apologize for getting some praise once and awhile, especially after the ridiculous beating it's received.

And frankly, even if I didn't like ATC, I'd just be glad my franchise overall was getting some positive attention. Hoping any other movie would win instead of Ghostbusters? Again that sick kamikaze attitude.
Did I say I hoped other movies would win? You should want to know if GB 2016 was able to hold on its own through kid votes. I'll even make the t-shirts if it turns out the kids voting outweighed the adults. This isn't a conspiracy and for once I didn't bring up politics this entire topic.
pferreira1983 liked this
timeware wrote:I grew up watching the kids choice awards and it should be kept for kids by kids.
I really doubt that disclaimer is a recent addition. ;)

And again, you ignore the Tumblr variable. You ignore anything that could put ATC in a good light.
You should want to know if GB 2016 was able to hold on its own through kid votes.
I want to know why you can't just let people enjoy a movie. You remind me of the Democrats going "Russia Russia Russia!"
By timeware
I am asking questions people should ask. You remind me of martia, martia, martia.
I am not trying to take anything positive away from 2016 you want to ignore the fact adults vote in a kids show. Why don't you want to know if 2016 can stand on it's own? Why cant you trust the kids enough to cast their votes?
I don't think you realize how you sound. ;) You see no evil conspiracy in any of the negativity aimed at ATC. It's always the positivity that's suspect.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]