Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
featofstrength wrote:
Sav C wrote:
Edit: Oh cool, Kenan Thompson's in it!
Is that sarcasm? I really hope it's sarcasm.
Enjoyment Alert! Someone's Not Hating Enough On the Internet! :shock:
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on March 13th, 2017, 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sav C, Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
Sav C wrote:Edit: Oh cool, Kenan Thompson's in it! Didn't realize it was a movie when I went to search it though, thought it was an actually burger chain or something.
Yeah Kenan was on the Nickelodeon comedy show All That in the 90s (a teenage SNL basically). One of the more popular sketches was about a burger joint (called Good Burger, naturally!), and it was later made into a full length movie. It's a harmless silly comedy (just the type jaded fanboys love to attack, naturally). Though I'm not sure if it makes much sense if you didn't grow up with the show honestly, lol. I'd be interested in hearing what you thought if you ever see it.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
timeware wrote:It's on Netflix.
Thanks, but I think it's only on Netflix in the States.
featofstrength wrote:
Sav C wrote:
Edit: Oh cool, Kenan Thompson's in it!
Is that sarcasm? I really hope it's sarcasm.
It isn't. Kenan is one of my favorites on SNL. His delivery his great!
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote:Edit: Oh cool, Kenan Thompson's in it! Didn't realize it was a movie when I went to search it though, thought it was an actually burger chain or something.
Yeah Kenan was on the Nickelodeon comedy show All That in the 90s (a teenage SNL basically). One of the more popular sketches was about a burger joint (called Good Burger, naturally!), and it was later made into a full length movie. It's a harmless silly comedy (just the type jaded fanboys love to attack, naturally). Though I'm not sure if it makes much sense if you didn't grow up with the show honestly, lol. I'd be interested in hearing what you thought if you ever see it.
OK, I've never seen the show. Sounds fun. In the skit did they say Good Burger over and over in rapid succession? ...Good burger, good burger, good burger, Pepsi! good burger... :D If I ever see it I'll let you know!
JurorNo.2 liked this
By ghostJAR
SpaceBallz wrote:I don't think any "theories" need even be brought to this discussion: "Fuller House" won for "best family TV show." And "Best Global Musical Star" award went to "Little Mix" (whoever that is). Kevin Hart got slimed for unknown reasons as well as John Cena, Oh, look, Chris Pratt got slimed too. Here were the kids' reactions:

Seriously, that's a real still from him getting slimed.

In fact, I went to the website because I didn't even watch the show, and there wasn't any "ghostbusters" mentions at all in the headlines. Maybe in a sub video? I dunno.

Bottom line is that politics and money plays a big part in telling people what is enjoyable and what isn't. We won't hear anything from GB16 in a LOOOOOOOONG time.

BTW, evidently this needs to be said again: The original "Ghosbusters" was NOT around when the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards were even brought up. In fact, you can probably pay tribute to '84 GB for bringing slime into the Nickelodeon equation. Please, stop comparing the original masterpiece to the reboot/remake. It's not going to work. At all. Different time periods, different ideas, different routes, different agendas.

You are just a bundle of joy, ain't ya?
JurorNo.2, Sav C, Alphagaia and 3 others liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:It's a harmless silly comedy (just the type jaded fanboys love to attack, naturally).
Certainly there's no harm in letting someone getting away with a career in "mugging" for the camera for cheap laughs.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... ietly.html
Hey, he's got more range than Garret Morris, right?

Since we're talking "harmless, silly" Nickelodeon comedy, I'm sure a lot more work went into a single Ren and Stimpy close-up, gross out:
Than 90% of his career schtick:

This, too:
Now that was fun for everyone!
Last edited by featofstrength on March 13th, 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pferreira1983 liked this
featofstrength wrote: Hey, he's got more range than Garret Morris, right?
Never understand why it became cool to rag on him. Morris had a lot of great moments, despite the limited material he was given.
Sav C wrote:In the skit did they say Good Burger over and over in rapid succession? ...Good burger, good burger, good burger, Pepsi! good burger...
Lolol, I wish, that would have been awesome. Nah, the joke was almost entirely the surfer due who worked there as a cashier, he'd always say, "Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger, can I take your order?"

.....You'd have to see it to get it, lol.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
featofstrength wrote: Hey, he's got more range than Garret Morris, right?
Wait, what's not to like about Garrett Morris?
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote:In the skit did they say Good Burger over and over in rapid succession? ...Good burger, good burger, good burger, Pepsi! good burger...
Lolol, I wish, that would have been awesome. Nah, the joke was almost entirely the surfer due who worked there as a cashier, he'd always say, "Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger, can I take your order?"

.....You'd have to see it to get it, lol.
I'll have to surf Youtube to find it.
Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Back to reality, I'm really glad Melissa won again for Ghostbusters. It was shrewed of Murray to recommend her for ATC. And I like Chris Hemsworth but I didn't think anyone could beat Ironman, so double win there! :) I'm also pretty impressed that Dory won Favorite Squad. For that and Ghostbusters to win big over Civil War and Star Wars, Disney has got to be wondering if what they're doing with these action franchises is no longer entirely fresh. I'm just glad Dory is also Disney since I'm a stock holder. :mrgreen:
It really doesn't look like kids voting for these awards, though.

Juror, why should disney wonder if their action franchises are fresh? They have had hit after hit in the box office, marvel included. And here's an example of merchandising, note they are talking biliions of dollars. (Geez, the mighty Yogurt was right, "moi-chandising" really is where the real money is made.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/busi ... .html?_r=0

Meantime, there was a report about ghostbusters 2016 merch, no numbers there. Hmmm.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/matte ... 7/#respond

Here's an interesting site that includes box office and dvd/Bluray. Here's Dory and GB16.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Findin ... ab=summary

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Ghostb ... ab=summary

Juror, I think the nickelodeon voting and numberless puff pieces like the Mattel toys "meets "expectations"" are farcical. Sales numbers by every measure just don't justify the belief that GB16 was popular with anyone, except maybe over-hopeful GB fans (or over pessimistic, folks, the batman franchise survived Batman And Robin, Ghostbusters can survive GB16), and people pushing politics. Not the general public, including nickelodeon's audience.

Again, dont worry Juror. Given the generic GB merchadising, like the "no ghost" emblemed clothes, is still selling, Ghostbusters is still popular. We just need a good show to get some positive interest in the general public.
Last edited by HunterCC on March 14th, 2017, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why are we comparing big numbers with big numbers when kids can like a movie more regardless if one sold better compared to the other? The numbers are enough for a lot of kids to see the movie.

Look, I will be the last to say award shows are impossible to rig, and we know some GBfans have been wanting to rig stuff by voting down the trailers and on review sites, but the lenghths people go to deny anything positive to this movie is mind boggling for just a simple awardshow for kids.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By HunterCC
Alphagaia wrote:Why are we comparing big numbers with big numbers when kids can like a movie more regardless if one sold better compared to the other? The numbers are enough for a lot of kids to see the movie.

Look, I will be the last to say award shows are impossible to rig, and we know some GBfans have been wanting to rig stuff by voting down the trailers and on review sites, but the lenghths people go to deny anything positive to this movie is mind boggling for just a simple awardshow for kids.
I took you off ignore, so you'll see me responding to you again, alph.

All numbers are big numbers when you are talking movies with a big budget and lots of marketing. The comparison in this case is that Dory took in over a BILLION, and made a fantastic profit. While GB16 took in about one quarter of that, and lost money. It flopped. I don't know what the profit margin is for DVD/blurays, but Dory doubled GB16 sales numbers. Disney merch, including Dory, made even more money than the movies. Mattel which sold GB stuff, some of it GB16 specific, has hardly raised a peep about their actual merch numbers.

The comparison above is between a successful movie and a divisive flop. Yet the divisive flop supposedly "won big" at this children's award show, where it's not known who voted how many times. It doesn't logically follow, it doesn't add up, nor match other numbers like audience ratings online which for GB16 were also poor.

No, the numbers aren't enough for "a lot" of kids to see this movie. From the above, A LOT MORE went and saw Dory, (and other movies, instead of GB16). The numbers say GB16 shouldn't have come close to polling as well as Dory, zootopia, Civil War, Pets, etc.

So yeah, this awards show polling result is really sleazy looking.

It's not mind boggling to look at this situation critically, it's mind boggling to look at the lengths some people are still going to promote GB16. Apparently, some adults CO-OPTED A SIMPLE CHILDREN'S AWARDS SHOW POLL to get GB16 some positive news. How sleazy and pathetic is that? :walterpeck:
HunterCC wrote: It really doesn't look like kids voting for these awards, though.
And if it hadn't won anything, you guys would be saying kids just didn't bother to see ATC. ;)
Meantime, there was a report about ghostbusters 2016 merch, no numbers there. Hmmm.
Girls don't buy action figures, at least not anywhere near to the same extent as boys. I really think Sony missed the mark not making the characters into dolls instead, as stereotypical as that sounds, heh. If there is an animated movie or whatever, I think they might rectify that. That's fine. GB84 didn't think to have any kids merchandise initially. These things happen and they are corrected. But anyway, this is what I've been talking about from the beginning. Male geeks do not understand that there are different types of fans out there and different types of success. Also, more and more I'm getting the impression audiences and the Hollywood establishment, saw ATC as a comedy first, blockbuster second. It was never going to get the same kind of attention.
Juror, I think the nickelodeon voting and numberless puff pieces like the Mattel toys "meets "expectations"" are farcical.
I think...No, in fact I know first hand, that this board is becoming emptier and emptier because people are tired of the constant, obsessive, raining on parades. Especially the bizarre conspiracy theories. It's a kid's award. What are you doing? Lol
Yeah HunterCC, I'm not even going to dignify a reply to such a post beyond this: it's​ just a tired repeat of all the things we disagree on that you keep hammering on for months just to bring down every thread you can.

It would be very appreciated if you would stop being such a downer just because you don't like a movie others do.
Kingpin liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah HunterCC, I'm not even going to dignify a reply to such a post beyond this: it's​ just a tired repeat of all the things we disagree on that you keep hammering on for months just to bring down every thread you can.

It would be very appreciated if you would stop being such a downer just because you don't like a movie others do.

I bring up that adults have been voting in kids choice awards since 88 and i'm seen as the unreasable detractor. Award shows are simple to rig when you allow everyone to vote. All i'm asking for is real numbers. Again i'm looking out for the kids since this is a kids choice awards show and non parents are voting in these things. It's not denying anything positive its bringing up something you don't want address.

You get the outcome you want, you don't want to look at how that outcome came to be. Simple questions but yet they are labeled bizarre conspiracy theories when there is documented proof this is happening.
HunterCC liked this
You guys are more than welcome to talk about whatever you want. Just saying, the way things are going, you may end up talking to yourselves after awhile. See ya around.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:You guys are more than welcome to talk about whatever you want. Just saying, the way things are going, you may end up talking to yourselves after awhile. See ya around.
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think that's exactly the end goal some have in mind for this part of the forum. Just keep detracting every thread that comes up so everyone just leaves.
Alphagaia wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:You guys are more than welcome to talk about whatever you want. Just saying, the way things are going, you may end up talking to yourselves after awhile. See ya around.
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think that's exactly the end goal some have in mind for this part of the forum. Just keep detracting every thread that comes up so everyone just leaves.
It wouldn't surprise me. I've been seeing fans trying to kamikaze all over the place lately. Various forms of "I'd rather the franchise die than continue connected to this reboot." Fortunately, this is largely confined to the Internet. Fans out in the real world don't know or care about these efforts, lol. Long live Ghostbusters! :cool:
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
HunterCC wrote: So yeah, this awards show polling result is really sleazy looking.
Thats because it is. Votes on the Kids Choice Awards have little to no impact on who wins. The show even admits it in a disclaimer thats shown for about a second. All the voting actually does is pick all the nominees. Of those nominees, a "committee of Fox representatives" has to agree to them or ignore them as they see fit. As for the winner? = "The ultimate choice was determined solely by the producers." Thats directly from their own disclaimer. Nobody really thought the kids really voted for Fuller House did they? Or the Nickelodeon shows that somehow win each year over much more popular and higher rated kids shows?

Also just want to say that Im sick of the hating on this movie too, and have come to enjoy it well enough in its own right and its one of the reasons I stay away from places like r/ghostbusters these days since hating on it is basically still the main topic of conversation all this time later. Get over it, seriously. However people using the likes of the Kids Choice Awards and some of the other things that are REALLY stretching it that I've seen on here to spin the movie as being more successful than it was are obviously going to get people countering it, and shutting them down as just serial downers or incessant detractors isnt really any better than people who constantly try to spin everything about the film as being worse than it was and shutting down anyone who counters them as being a fanboy.
timeware, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
I was going to mention that disclaimer, but figured the info would just get abused. ;)
Commander_Jim wrote: Also just want to say that Im sick of the hating on this movie too, and have come to enjoy it well enough in its own right and its one of the reasons I stay away from places like r/ghostbusters these days since hating on it is basically still the main topic of conversation all this time later. Get over it, seriously.
They are not going to get over it. As far as they're concerned, bashing this movie is more urgent than beating ISIS. And no, our optimism is not causing anyone here to counter, lol. They need no such prompting from us. ;) We were not "stretching," we were simply happy a movie we liked got some attention. Even that is no longer allowed without a "Yes, but." To say this fanbase doesn't have a problem with compulsive negativity is simply incorrect.
being more successful than it was
OMG, lol. It's a movie we enjoyed! Simple as that! We just want to be able to enjoy it without a bunch of grim faces thinking it's their job to educate us. Seriously, in real life how would you like it if every single time you talked about a movie you liked, someone came up from behind you going, "You know it flopped, right"? That is not film analysis, that is school yard bullying nonsense. When I was a kid, being a geek was about being the underdog, being proud of being different, enjoying different kinds of movies. We didn't know or care about box office and we gravitated towards movies nobody else seemed to like. Now geekdom is entirely about "So how much money did it make? How popular is it? How successful was it?" Geeks have become a sad, twisted combination of the popular kids and Wall Street bankers!

But anyway, the detractors got what they wanted, another positive moment bites the dust. I guess Vigo wins this round. Yet again. ;)
I agree with both your sentiments, apart from trying to make the movie sound more successful then it was. Successful and enjoyable are two different things and we all know the movie did not​ do as well in the BO department.

My OP was just a copy paste of the article with a hope for new recruits added and I already stated an awardshow is easy to rig and not that important as a measure of succes. What made me roll my eyes how quickly all the old tropes got vomited in the thread by the usual detractors.

Guys, it's not that big of a deal that some kids choose or get some info about the (new) Ghostbusters franchise over Stat Wars or Marvel. I will say though, If the producers had a hand in that I'm a bit surprised Sony was the one paying the highest amount and not Disney or Marvel, though. And at least the actual voting is tied to a nick account, which at least makes it cumbersome for people to repeat the 28 votes if they want to influence anything.

In closure, thx for a well reasoned and Insightfull post Commander Jim!
Sav C, Commander_Jim liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote: It really doesn't look like kids voting for these awards, though.
And if it hadn't won anything, you guys would be saying kids just didn't bother to see ATC. ;)
Going by the above numbers, for the box office tickets and dvd/blurays their parents bought, the kids didn't see GB16. Not compared to other movies.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:]Meantime, there was a report about ghostbusters 2016 merch, no numbers there. Hmmm.
Girls don't buy action figures, at least not anywhere near to the same extent as boys. I really think Sony missed the mark not making the characters into dolls instead, as stereotypical as that sounds, heh. If there is an animated movie or whatever, I think they might rectify that. That's fine. GB84 didn't think to have any kids merchandise initially. These things happen and they are corrected. But anyway, this is what I've been talking about from the beginning. Male geeks do not understand that there are different types of fans out there and different types of success. Also, more and more I'm getting the impression audiences and the Hollywood establishment, saw ATC as a comedy first, blockbuster second. It was never going to get the same kind of attention.
Agreed about Sony missing out on the dolls and many other things. Frozen doll-like stuff is still selling. I thought there was Slimer related kids stuff right after GB84 came out, but I could be wrong. The male geeks critical of GB16 were generally right on just about everything they predicted about the movie, going as far back to their criticism of the trailer. Far more than GB16 supporters. I'm not sure what you mean about how the movie was seen. The establishment gave it a blockbuster budget, and tons of media exposure leading up to it's release. I'm hard pressed to think of a movie that got more attention publicly, including Force Awakens and Rogue One. Would be interesting to see how much the marketing cost. The audience voted GB16 down as a comedy and blockbuster, with their money and online votes.
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Juror, I think the nickelodeon voting and numberless puff pieces like the Mattel toys "meets "expectations"" are farcical.
I think...No, in fact I know first hand, that this board is becoming emptier and emptier because people are tired of the constant, obsessive, raining on parades. Especially the bizarre conspiracy theories. It's a kid's award. What are you doing? Lol
Curious, any numbers for that? I was under the impression the board surged with pro and anti GB16 members as this movie was made, but don't really know. How about a constant obsessive parade of "accomplishments" like beating out Independence day Resurgence for the #19 spot on some list, or a number of awards the general public (kids included) didn't vote for? I am surprised there's any argument left that GB16 was appealing to audiences. "What are you doing?" was kinda what I was thinking about adults voting GB16 in the nickelodeon poll, lol. They couldn't beat the critics in other online polls, so they out voted whatever kids voted for? :walterpeck: (I strongly suspect Dory, zootopia, and writing in Frozen and Batman even though not eligible, lol.)
pferreira1983 liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah HunterCC, I'm not even going to dignify a reply to such a post beyond this: it's​ just a tired repeat of all the things we disagree on that you keep hammering on for months just to bring down every thread you can.

So you didon't really read my post, and missed stuff like the dvd/Bluray numbers.

Not true, I just disagree with you about GB16, like the general public does.

I'd appreciate you debating honestly, instead of categorizing an opinion you don't like as a "downer". Plenty of people here didn't like GB16 either. The attention it brought GB is great, but the movie itself stunk.
pferreira1983 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me. I've been seeing fans trying to kamikaze all over the place lately. Various forms of "I'd rather the franchise die than continue connected to this reboot." Fortunately, this is largely confined to the Internet. Fans out in the real world don't know or care about these efforts, lol. Long live Ghostbusters! :cool:
I googled [I'd rather ghostbusters die than continue connected to this reboot.] and the link descriptions were more along the lines of "I'd rather watch GB2 before watching the reboot." (which is actually fair even if not intentional, GB89 was better) and the "die" quote on this thread from you.

Again, dont worry, the Batman franchise survived Batman And Robin. The Star Trek franchise survived Nemesis. GB wil survive GB16. Long live Ghostbusters. :cool:
Last edited by HunterCC on March 15th, 2017, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pferreira1983 liked this
Commander_Jim wrote:
HunterCC wrote: So yeah, this awards show polling result is really sleazy looking.
Thats because it is. Votes on the Kids Choice Awards have little to no impact on who wins. The show even admits it in a disclaimer thats shown for about a second. All the voting actually does is pick all the nominees. Of those nominees, a "committee of Fox representatives" has to agree to them or ignore them as they see fit. As for the winner? = "The ultimate choice was determined solely by the producers." Thats directly from their own disclaimer. Nobody really thought the kids really voted for Fuller House did they? Or the Nickelodeon shows that somehow win each year over much more popular and higher rated kids shows?
Wow, good catch. So that settles the argument about the awards then. Neither kids nor adults in the public decided the outcome. Thanks!

Dunno, Full House was in syndication awhile back, still might be, though not in the morning I think. But yeah, I could see adults watching Fuller House voting that in something for nostalgia, lol.
Commander_Jim wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Also just want to say that Im sick of the hating on this movie too, and have come to enjoy it well enough in its own right and its one of the reasons I stay away from places like r/ghostbusters these days since hating on it is basically still the main topic of conversation all this time later. Get over it, seriously. However people using the likes of the Kids Choice Awards and some of the other things that are REALLY stretching it that I've seen on here to spin the movie as being more successful than it was are obviously going to get people countering it, and shutting them down as just serial downers or incessant detractors isnt really any better than people who constantly try to spin everything about the film as being worse than it was and shutting down anyone who counters them as being a fanboy.
To each their own about the quality of GB16, I'm strongly on one side of this debate, but yeah there are some bad arguments presented on both sides.
Sigh. He needed 4 posts to just repeat the same thing all over again while glossing over I already addressed the blue rays and DVD's by comparing big numbers and big numbers and saying those are not the be all end all what makes a movie enjoyable.

Claiming things like being the voice of the general public when reviews where al over the place is just silly. But let's not go that route again for the millionth time and sour another thread with the same heated arguments we have been having for months and expect a different result. We know already how we differ and interpret the numbers and the user reviews.

I never intended to claim a Kids Choice Award is the proof this movie is a masterpiece. We all know I regard the movie the same as GB2 on terms of enjoyment. I'm just happy the GBfranchise might get some new recruits and new recognition.

This is not Groundhog Day where we need to keep spinning the same wheel instead of focusing on other things and create a better environment for both of us. Let's get out of this loop that both teams seem to suck each other in and both stop with passive aggressiveness.

Peace?
Last edited by Alphagaia on March 15th, 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?