Some more info:
THE PURPOSE OF LIFE IS TO LOVE
◆ What: A first-anniversary Ghostbusters: Answer the Call ezine
⁃ Digital format
◆ Theme: Appreciation for the cast, crew, writer, director, characters, story, music, etc. of Ghostbusters
◆ When: As soon as possible. Submissions must be received by June 11th but sooner = MUCH BETTER
⁃ (my goal, though it may be unrealistic, is to have the digital version done before July 11th)
⁃ essays, personal reflections, letters, poems, lists, recipes, ???
⁃ comics, illustrations, collages, your fan art, photos of your cosplay/props/Lego/collection, ??? – full color or b&w; high resolution, minimum 72 dpi
◆ Guidelines: Short (1-2 pages max, contact me if you have something longer you’d like to submit). Adult language is OK if needed, but no graphic sex or violence (we’ll leave that on AO3…). Obviously no sexist, racist, ableist, etc. Language.
◆ Acceptance: If I can’t use something for whatever reason, I’ll let you know that I can’t.
◆ Pay and Cost: There’s no pay involved and no profits. The ezine will be free (with suggested donation links to nonprofits like SPLC, The Trevor Project, Black Girls Code). If there’s a way to distribute the printed version at some point, it’ll be at cost.
◆ Who: Me (writer, adjunct English professor, huge fan) and you.
◆ How to submit: Google Drive (or email attachment if that doesn’t work for you).
⁃ To get the link or if you have any questions, please contact me directly (DM/PM on any social media where you know me; email email@example.com
; on Tumblr you can contact either @sweetwinter or @stholtzmann ).
◆ Why: To show our love for Ghostbusters and the people who made it
I’m especially looking for submissions that include appreciation for some of the less-frequently-praised aspects of Ghostbusters, including the score, costuming, propmaking, Katie Dippold, Patty Tolan, etc. BUT anything that shows your appreciation of and enthusiasm for Ghostbusters 2016 (and the GB:ATC fandom!) is welcome. (No criticism-focused pieces in this zine. Not because there’s nothing to criticize in the film, but because this specific project is an anniversary appreciation. Later, if it’s fun enough to do again, though…)
• I’ll do my best to make it printable and possibly to print a few (and I’ll try to mail copies to the director etc., though again, it may be later).
• Because of the fast turnaround on this you’ll need to agree that I can edit your work (I will contact if you if I make substantive changes, but you’ll need to get back to me ASAP).
• You will retain your rights to your work; you’re just giving me the right to publish it (and reprint it later if that’s necessary for some reason).
• You can use a pen name/pseudonym.
• I’m not a graphic designer; this thing will probably not be beautiful.
• This project will either get its own domain name or be hosted on my blog.
• No, that is not the actual cover up there!
AS REQUESTED: Suggestions!
Several people asked for ideas of what they could do. I’ve thrown a whole bunch of random ideas into this list–feel free to use them, and maybe they’ll spark your own ideas.
I do want to highlight this part from above:
I’m especially looking for submissions that include appreciation for some of the less-frequently-praised aspects of Ghostbusters, including the score, costuming, propmaking, (writer) Katie Dippold, Patty Tolan, etc.
Much as I adore Holtzmann, I don’t want it to turn into The Holtzmann Show Starring Holtzmann (or the USS Holtzbert). I really want the zine to be about the whole thing: the movie, the people who made it, and the fandom that’s grown up around it. So let’s give other characters, aspects, and crew of the film some love too.
-Just straight-up why you love GB
- Theodore Shapiro’s score for the film
- Your personal connection with one of the characters
- The choices for the songs used in the film
- The time you watched the movie with your mom/little sister/daughter/skeptical dudebro friend
- Your experience cosplaying the characters
- How Ghostbusters is why you learned to solder/drive a hearse/etc.
- Analysis of the ‘busters’ personal styles
- Appreciation for Dippold’s writing, Feig’s suits directing, the propmakers, the stunt actors for the ‘busters, etc.
- The designs of the ‘busters costumes compared to the way women’s costumes are usually designed, and why that means something
- Why recasting/rebooting/reimagining can be powerful
- Favorite connections to/echoes of the original films in this one
- Friends you’ve made through the fandom
- Appreciation for some particular bit of official merch (e.g. the actual Ghosts From Our Past book)
- Why GB made you change your major
- A look at the physicality of the ‘busters–how they move, fight, walk, etc.
- How GB’s cast got you to start watching SNL again
- Your favorite non-’buster character
- Your perspective as a scientist/science major/MTA employee/museum tour guide/funeral home owner
- Your perspective as someone who works in the film industry or aspires to
- Analysis of subverted tropes in the film
- Favorite tropes in the film (or new tropes you think should come from it?)
- Discussion of popular headcanons
- How GB won you (an original series fan) over
- What GB meant to you as a woman/feminist/lesbian/scientist/etc.
- Favorite little details
- the Ao3 GB community (cough, keep the discussion fairly clean please)
- Differences between the original US version(s) and the translations used in other versions
- About the lines you can’t stop quoting
- How GB changed your standards for movies
- The cool way your comic book shop/theater/??? supported the film and its fans
- Something GB inspired you to do
- Joining your local GB organization
- The different times you saw it in theaters
- well, obviously, (G/PG-rated) fan art of the characters etc.
- photos of you in cosplay, building a prop, visiting a filming location, etc.
- photos of your favorite GB stuff (official merch or not)
- photos of your car, license plate, or whatever else you’ve made Ghostbuster-y
- GB-influenced daily wear, hair, etc.
- GB + text post/other Tumblr-type screencap humor (like everything else here, it has to be original though!)
- photos of your GB tattoo
- cross-stitch, origami, portrait cakes, collage, etc.
- recipes for GB-themed cocktails
- instructions (non-narrative) for how to make something from the movie
- how to make the perfect cheesesteak or wonton soup
- limericks? lyrics? sestinas? knock-knock jokes?
- some kind of find-the-hidden-Slimer puzzle? a crossword?
- funny lists???
Writing styles from chatty and quirky to academic (with footnotes) and everything in between are all OK. If something is very long, we might have to make it shorter.
Non-US perspectives are welcome. (Even if you’re not from an English-speaking country and don’t feel confident about your writing, I can help you edit it.) I would love to hear from fans outside of the USA! Please share this if you have access to any international GB fandom groups or similar.
IN CASE I FORGOT TO SAY THIS SOMEWHERE
If I get a lot of submissions, not everything will get published. I’ll make choices in that case (and of course I reserve the right to reject anything, blah blah blah, no uniform no proton pack no service).
Do you have something ready NOW? Cool, go ahead and email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions or anything else? DM/PM on any social media where you know me; email; on Tumblr you can contact either @sweetwinter or my associate @stholtzmann.
Mad respect to Paul Feig for tweeting his support of Jason and how excited he is based off the trailer. That's awesome of him. There's a lot of fans who could really learn a thing or two from him. You can dislike his movies, but he's a truly good guy and he behaves way better than a lot of people in this fandom.