Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Kingpin wrote:I love Dan... but I admittedly can't help but feel his reaction/response in this interview is maybe a tad hypocritical, given how his own original proposal for Ghostbusters (prior to re-writes by Harold) was deemed too expensive to film.
Not to mention the huge amounts of money that were paid to Aykroyd, Murray, Reitman, and Ramis' estate for their rights to the franchise. Honestly, if Paul Feig hadn't taken up the job of getting ATC made, I'm sure that Dan and Ivan would still be screwing around with those ridiculous GB3 scripts that no one really wanted to make.
By RichardLess
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
Kingpin wrote:I love Dan... but I admittedly can't help but feel his reaction/response in this interview is maybe a tad hypocritical, given how his own original proposal for Ghostbusters (prior to re-writes by Harold) was deemed too expensive to film.
Not to mention the huge amounts of money that were paid to Aykroyd, Murray, Reitman, and Ramis' estate for their rights to the franchise. Honestly, if Paul Feig hadn't taken up the job of getting ATC made, I'm sure that Dan and Ivan would still be screwing around with those ridiculous GB3 scripts that no one really wanted to make.
Oh you've read the GB3 scripts? Care to share any 2nd or 3rd act scenes that stuck out? Who was your favourite or least favourite new character? What did you think of the jokes?

Cause I'm pretty sure you haven't read word one from a GB3 script except maybe the few out of context pages that leaked from the Hellbent script.
Ridiculous indeed. Everyone wanted to make GB3. Everyone except the guy whose name rhymes with Jill Hurry.
I haven't read the scripts, but I've always found the idea of the original (and much older) Ghostbusters coming back to train a new generation rather unnecessary. That's just my opinion. The IDW comics took the idea of introducing new members to the team and did a far better job than any traditional GB3 film could have been.

I liked the new film very much, and I feel that it stands on its own quite well. Considering how much Dan made off of this movie without having to do any real work, his remarks toward Mr. Feig are uncalled for.
Alphagaia liked this
By timeware
You have to remember Ghostbusters is his brain child. I'm sure at the time of the movies production he was ecstatic to see progress being made. While I don't see a feud starting online between Dan and Feig he is kind of entitled to have an opinion about why 2016 had such a mediocre run.
Unfortunately we won't get a sequel which I believe would have been much better with a different script writer and director. I don't think Dan's critique was to harsh.
Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
Demon Vice Commander wrote:I haven't read the scripts, but I've always found the idea of the original (and much older) Ghostbusters coming back to train a new generation rather unnecessary. That's just my opinion. The IDW comics took the idea of introducing new members to the team and did a far better job than any traditional GB3 film could have been.

I liked the new film very much, and I feel that it stands on its own quite well. Considering how much Dan made off of this movie without having to do any real work, his remarks toward Mr. Feig are uncalled for.
I agree completely: I have really high hopes for the animated movie to continue right after the videogame, with all 4 GB intact and healthy.

If they go multi-verse I have no problems with that as well.
By Sav C
This is very interesting, however if it was only 3 to 4 million spent on reshoots that isn't that bad compared to 40 million. I'd like to see another Ghostbusters movie that relies less on special effects, though.
By JurorNo.2
Dan just posted about this again on social media. Ignore the comments section, some "fans" just never learn.
"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad."
Doctor Venkman, Sav C liked this
I'm guessing that someone (probably Sony) called out Aykroyd on his bogus numbers (3-4 million versus his made-up 30-40 million) and now he's trying to backpedal.

As for his response in regard to the "inclusion of the originators", I seem to recall Aykroyd talking about how happy he was that they were "handing the franchise off to new talent" or how he was going to "step back and let Feig and his cast make it their own".
devilmanozzy liked this
By JurorNo.2
Demon Vice Commander wrote: As for his response in regard to the "inclusion of the originators", I seem to recall Aykroyd talking about how happy he was that they were "handing the franchise off to new talent" or how he was going to "step back and let Feig and his cast make it their own".
Guys, you know, it's called being diplomatic. It's called professional courtesy. It's called trying to work things out. It's called putting your best foot forward. It's what professionals do. It's not a mystery to be solved and it's not about "lying."
By Kingpin
JurorNo.2 wrote:Up to you Kingpin I guess, should it stay?
Not sure really, it's... intriguing that the section in question appears to now have been excised... though as clickbait articles go, it doesn't seem as harmful a one.

And, in a connected way, I actually shook the great man's hand this afternoon:

(Let me know if the photo doesn't show up)
By mrmichaelt
I agree it's more click bait and blown out of proportion. In what seemed a more informal conversation, one has to glean fact from jokes and such. At least we learned/got it confirmed the test screenings warranted reshoots because there were more scenes needed to understand the plot. From what I recall, one we know was do in reshoots was the initial alley equipment testing when Abby tests the pack and the thrower is too powerful. It's odd though because without that scene, it's essentially the same as the first movie -- they have the equipment already and go on the first bust. I guess the audience wanted to see a more formal introduction of the equipment?
Demon Vice Commander wrote:I'm sure that Dan and Ivan would still be screwing around with those ridiculous GB3 scripts that no one really wanted to make.
Now wait a second, there. It's all about making the crazy first scripts then parring it down to the final film-able version -- it's a simple as applying that to writing an essay for a college class to writing a movie script. They did the same with the first two movies, Ghost Smashers for the first one and edited from there and The Seed for the second and edited from there. Even The Video Game's script was different I think. Ghostbusters III was just the victim of a lot of other factors beyond the content of the drafts that prolonged it beyond the point of no return. Additionally, we all know a lot wanted to make it and a minority didn't like Murray and Moranis.
Last edited by mrmichaelt on June 5th, 2017, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By SpaceBallz
Dan is still being pretty vocal over his disappointment. No "click bait" or "he was possibly joking" theories about it now.
"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad."
Posted 3 hours ago.

http://www.whosay.com/status/danaykroyd ... de=pwncavS
pferreira1983 liked this
By RichardLess
Some of you need to learn the definition of click bait. Aykroyd has since double downed on his Feig criticism. Now he's saying via social media Feig was wasn't inclusive to the originators. Something the Sony email hacks confirm up at a point. Then he goes on to say there will never be another GB movie with those ladies involved. Thank god! You should see all the people hating on the reboot on his Twitter post. Guess they are just trolls right? Not "true fans". Ah well. At least this reboot mess is behind us and Feig won't be let within 100 yards of anything Ghostbusters related again. It's just a shame it had to get to this point. If only Harold Ramis was still alive... He was another candid fellow. I'd love to know what he thinks of all this.
philmorgan81 liked this
By Coover5
featofstrength wrote:So..." Soul Sisters?"
Aykroyd saw his GB3 efforts hurt when Harold Ramis's "Year One" tanked. I wonder if he is seeing Soul Sisters put on hold with the failure of ATC. He wanted to make GB3 and Blues Brothers 3 for about 20 years. To have one fail and cancel out the other might be upsetting.

Of course it's all speculation. I just wondering if it's why he's so mad.
By ccv66
It can't be about the budget, if ATC made a Billion dollars world wide no one would be complaining. Mediocre box office with a block buster budget. It has to be the quality/results of the movie vs the cost. If the movie was profitable it would have warranted more GB movies... More sonys fault than feig. If feig was to blame for anything would probably the lack of inclusion of Ivan Reitman. I question how good Dan Aykroyds original script would have been before Ramis and Reitman got involved. Which was heavy changes on an original script. You think Feig would accept advice on a reboot

Wasn't one of the reasons for changes to the 84gb script due to fact a that a futuristic ghostbusters movie would have been to expensive to be profitable?
By Commander_Jim
A movie with a name as big as GB should have been able to find success with a budget that size, a lot of movies have similar budgets without the benefit of one of the most popular franchises in the world attached. I think the main problems were two-fold: firstly it had a terrible marketing campaign. For some reason they avoided all the big events where big franchise movies usually get the hype train rolling (ie, ComicCon) and instead went on Ellen, which obviously didnt do much to dispel peoples pre-conceived notions about a female GB. The Superbowl where almost every single big budget blockbuster of the year has its trailer shown off - total no show. And when they finally started marketing the movie, the trailers were just awful and showed the film in the worst possible light (and again re-affirmed peoples worst fears about the film). And secondly, most people seem to have viewed the film more as a Melissa McCarthy or Paul Feig comedy as opposed to a major summer blockbuster. And its box office take reflected that, making about the same amount of money as a typical McCarthy or Feig movie makes. What it really comes down to is that it seems nobody seemed to know who the audience for the film was supposed to be, and they failed to sell it. They needed the ComicCon/Superhero crowd and they got the Bridesmaids crowd. In fact the more I think about it, the more it seems obvious that the movie was marketed exactly like it was a typical McCarthy/Feig type comedy, not a big budget franchise blockbuster film.
Last edited by Commander_Jim on June 6th, 2017, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
devilmanozzy, Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
Commander_Jim wrote:A movie with a name as big as GB should have been able to find success with a budget that size, a lot of movies have similar budgets without the benefit of one of the most popular franchises in the world attached. I think the main problems were two-fold: firstly it had a terrible marketing campaign. For some reason they avoided all the big events where big franchise movies usually get the hype train rolling (ie, ComicCon) and instead went on Ellen, which obviously didnt do much to dispel peoples pre-conceived notions about a female GB. And when they finally started marketing the movie, the trailers were just awful and showed the film in the worst possible light (and again re-affirmed peoples worst fears about the film). And secondly, most people seem to have viewed the film more as a Melissa McCarthy or Paul Feig comedy as opposed to a major summer blockbuster. And its box office take reflected that, making about the same amount of money as a typical McCarthy or Feig movie makes. What it really comes down to is that it seems nobody seemed to know who the audience for the film was supposed to be, and they failed to sell it. They needed the ComicCon/Superhero crowd and they got the Bridesmaids crowd.
Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. The fanboys/girls stayed away. Just look at the reception it's recieved in that community. Look at all the fanboy websites, ain't it cool, collider, hitfix(now Uproxx), Reddit, birthmoviesdeath, dark horizons, coming soon.net, Twitter etc. Mention the reboot at anyone of those places and you get the sense pretty quickly how loathed this movie is. Rarely have I seen that community agree on anything, but GB2016 seems to be a lightning rod of abuse. Oh sure one or two people speak up saying they liked it, but man o man, it's worse than bringing up the Star Wars prequels!

Some projects have built in good-will that is present from when the cameras roll. When the marketing gets released bit by bit, depending on quality, that good-will grows or shrinks to nothing. In GB2016's case? It had no good-will at any point in it's production. The movie was hated the minute it was announced. In order to reverse that hate you need to release a kick ass trailer. Remember how everyone made fun of Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker? Then that first Dark Knight trailer was released? It blew everyone away. So GB2016 was hated and then that infamous trailer was released(or set free, depending on your POV) and from that point on this movies fate was sealed. I still can't believe someone approved that trailer knowing the uphill battle this movie had. It's one of the worst trailers for a big budget movie I've ever witnessed. Phew.
pferreira1983 liked this
By Davideverona
Not a fan of the reboot. But I liked the teaser. With the piano playing the first notes of the Gb theme. The full trailer? Got me excited at the mention of "30 years ago, four friends saved New York". I thought that they found a way to link everything. It was a lie.
IDW had to step in and save the world.
By JurorNo.2
Lol, ah irony is fun. The reboot supporters are annoyed at me for even remotely defending Aykroyd's comment. They can't seem to comprehend that someone can like a movie while still acknowledging that behind the scenes drama existed. I really have no time for that level of ignorance and irrationality from fans. Especially when they're most likely millenials. ;)

On the other end of the spectrum, "some of you" need to actually read a post before giving lectures to people on what click bait is. I said from the beginning it was obvious the original creators were pushed out of the process and that that was wrong. I also said drama like that was typical in Hollywood and if Reitman and Aykroyd were still involved, there was no good reason not to give the reboot a chance. If the reboot didn't do well, Sony would never consider a proper sequel. But no, that was apparently too complex a concept for "some of you." I must just be a blind reboot defender.

Just goes to show, never be part of a group. Both sides will turn on you at the slightest hint of independent thought.
Sav C, ghostJAR liked this
By DarkSpectre
JurorNo.2 wrote:Lol, ah irony is fun. The reboot supporters are annoyed at me for even remotely defending Aykroyd's comment. They can't seem to comprehend that someone can like a movie while still acknowledging that behind the scenes drama existed. I really have no time for that level of ignorance and irrationality from fans. Especially when they're most likely millenials. ;)
I noticed that you got raked over the coals pretty hard and you we're civil for the most part. What funny is that Sony hasn't rebuked Dan at least not yet. But the venom being spewed by the pro reboot pages, Gb Reboot Appreciation, Postively Ghostbusters, Answer the Second Call leads me to believe that most of them only became fans within the past year and we're completely ignorant as to the drama that went down. I have a feeling as we get further away and more NDA's expire, we'll see alot more of that drama unfold. But right now it seems that Dan is re exerting control and moving forward. I'm cautiously optimistic to see what they announce Thursday.
Last edited by DarkSpectre on June 6th, 2017, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By Seth Rex
JurorNo.2 wrote:Lol, ah irony is fun. The reboot supporters are annoyed at me for even remotely defending Aykroyd's comment. They can't seem to comprehend that someone can like a movie while still acknowledging that behind the scenes drama existed. I really have no time for that level of ignorance and irrationality from fans. Especially when they're most likely millenials. ;)

On the other end of the spectrum, "some of you" need to actually read a post before giving lectures to people on what click bait is. I said from the beginning it was obvious the original creators were pushed out of the process and that that was wrong. I also said drama like that was typical in Hollywood and if Reitman and Aykroyd were still involved, there was no good reason not to give the reboot a chance. If the reboot didn't do well, Sony would never consider a proper sequel. But no, that was apparently too complex a concept for "some of you." I must just be a blind reboot defender.

Just goes to show, never be part of a group. Both sides will turn on you at the slightest hint of independent thought.
I believe you. I can more than understand that there was trouble behind the scenes. Personally, I love the reboot, but even I can see that maybe it could have been cheaper, done cheaper, with quality still. And I'm sure Reitman and Aykroyd could have helped make it a better film. I'm just happy, from my point of view, that we got 3 good films, and hopefully more, even if they are just more reboots. I'd love to throw my hat in there to attempt a reboot for them.
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By SpaceBallz
LOL the feminists are on Dan's twitter post being unfavorable towards him. I tried to chime in but since I'm a man I'm not allowed to comment or its considered "mansplaining."

The annual GB drama has commenced, friends.
By Lee FW
I love Dan, possibly even more so after meeting him yesterday and I have a lot of respect for Paul Feig, especially how he embraces and engages with fans of ATC (and again was such a great guy to meet) so this whole thing makes me uncomfortable. I'd really like to believe the two are on good terms and it's purely a professional monetary disagreement....I mean he's also been quoted in the past as saying he's got some ideas for a sequel and will be running them by Paul so it can't be that much of a bitter relationship. Personally I feel he was just stating the facts that pro or against ATC you can't really argue with, the film cost too much, the fans would've liked to see more of the original guys, it didn't make the dollar to guarantee a sequel.

I'd love to see the girls again so it's sad to hear him say so bluntly but it feels very much he'd like that too so we'll see I guess...could always give them none related cameos in a GB3
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote:LOL the feminists are on Dan's twitter post being unfavorable towards him. I tried to chime in but since I'm a man I'm not allowed to comment or its considered "mansplaining."

The annual GB drama has commenced, friends.
And yet I also see a lot of people saying the movie is crap, never should have been made and girls doing GB is just lame and not believeable, etc.
Why are you only proclaiming what 'the feminists' are saying?
The problem here is one side attacks the other and vice versa. Over a movie.
That's what's sad.
JurorNo.2, ghostJAR liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]