Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
pferreira1983 wrote:People wouldn't be criticising
Oh, people will always be criticizing, lol. Especially fans. They live for it. And to be fair, I don't want that to mean only reboot detractors. A lot of reboot fans have also said things I find to be quite frustrating.
Sav C, Alphagaia, pferreira1983 and 1 others liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:because this people you're naming and shaming offer valid points.
pferreira1983 wrote:This doesn't give any insight apart from naming and shaming those with valid opinions.
You can't honestly believe everyone who was described as a troll, or misogynist was in actuality someone offering a "valid point" or "valid opinion" simply being shouted down for offering "an alternative viewpoint"? A good portion of the people complaining about the reboot, about the recent change with Doctor Who weren't offering constructive criticism or valid points... to be perfectly honest I think a lot of the negative/condescending remarks about Jodie Whittaker are actually less murky in their intent than a lot of the posts made about the reboot. Sad as it is, I do think a lot of Whovians have proven themselves to be misogynistic... even I'm ashamed to say I may have felt a small ember of internalised misogyny following the announcement.

Not everyone who gets criticised is a misunderstood internet user trying to make a valid point, some are truly vile individuals with narrow minds.
pferreira1983 wrote:I have never been overwhelmed by Chibnall's writing. I'm sure he'll cram every episode in with sexist jibes towards men. They're already doing that with Capaldi.
On what basis? I haven't watched Broadchurch but I didn't get the impression it was proliferated with sexist jibes towards men.
pferreira1983 wrote:These feminists, left wing fans, SJWs
pferreira1983 wrote:Anita Sarkeesian
Yawn.
I watched Love & Monsters again last week, and you know what? It's really funny. (Peter Kay is awful in it, but then he is awful always, so that's to be expected!) Marc Warren plays it really well throughout and it's a good knockabout after the intensity of The Satan Pit. They can't all be Daemons, as my father used to say.

And the kids thought they were talking about kissing, come on! And the ones old enough to get the BJ gag just thought it was funny. It's nothing to worry about.

I might get that written on my grave - "It was really nothing to worry about".
Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:to be perfectly honest I think a lot of the negative/condescending remarks about Jodie Whittaker are actually less murky in their intent than a lot of the posts made about the reboot.
I think what such fans actually fear is bad writing, that every episode will be a pretentious lecture. I wish they'd focus on that kind of complaint, instead of ranting that women or diversity is being "shoved down their throats." It's just such a reductive argument that will always make them look foolish and mean spirited.
Having watched 23 seasons of Classic Who (almost to Colin Baker) and all if the 2005 revival to current, I can say that when the show started to get preachy the ratings started to drop. I love Peter Capaldi, I think he was tremendous Doctor but the his tenure was often very gloomy, cynical and preachy and nowhere near the fun, somewhat whimsical and quirky sci-fi program it was during Eccelston, Tennant and Smith. granted their were darker moments/episodes during all of their eras, that's nothing new to Doctor Who. My biggest concern with Chibnall's approach is that despite Broadchurch being a well received program, America didn't seem to give a damn when it was translated on the Fox version (Even had Tennant reprising his role!) and his recent Who episodes where inconsistent. 42 was good but god sake he wrote "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". I'm hoping that he doesn't go all Paul Feig and insult and alienate viewers unsure about the change. I decided to give Chibnall and Whittaker 1 episode to hook me. I did the same with Eccelston and Smith. Tennant was great from the moment he regenerated. I'm really hoping that Chibnall just writes her to be the Doctor and not a condescending Mary Sue with idiot male companions just because he wants to stick it to those unsure (I'm not talking about the sexist types). The Doctor's ratings have slipped continuously since 12 debuted and I don't really think that Whovians can afford to tell people not comfortable with Chibnall's decision to simply leave the fandom because they don't instantly accept it. We wen't through all this garbage already and it's especially sad and hypocritical for some whovians to be like "The Doctor is about tolerance and acceptance" in one breath but then the next telling those with a different view point to leave the fandom.
pferreira1983 liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:I'm really hoping that Chibnall just writes her to be the Doctor and not a condescending Mary Sue
This is exactly what I'm talking about. What you're actually concerned about is lazy, short hand, pretentious writing. Then, guys....just say that! Don't make it seem like the presence of women are the problem. You will never gain support that way.
Lol, atJuror's request, I really hoping that Chibnall avoids pretentious gender politic driven lazy writing ;) I truly do worry about the fate of Doctor Who. I don't it to be cancelled again. Granted I have no guarantees it will be but seeing how things ended up for this fandom for more or less the same type of thing and how the Who fandom has already started dividing, it's not hard to be a little gun shy.
JurorNo.2 liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:Lol, atJuror's request
Thanks, pal! :crunch:
I truly do worry about the fate of Doctor Who. I don't it to be cancelled again.
Well hey at least it came back after being cancelled once. That doesn't really happen much in the US, I don't know about the UK. The only example I can think of at the moment is Family Guy. And Smothers Brothers got a new show like 20 years later.
DarkSpectre liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:Tennant was great from the moment he regenerated. I'm really hoping that Chibnall just writes her to be the Doctor and not a condescending Mary Sue with idiot male companions just because he wants to stick it to those unsure (I'm not talking about the sexist types).
Tennant was fine, even with a large amount of tooth-gnashing moments. If we can avoid bullshit like Rose T. Davies and "clap your hands if you believe in the Doctor" forever on, that would be great.

Also, male or female, I like my Doctors to be condescending to their idiot companions. Sure beats falling in love with them and stopping science fiction escapism dead in its tracks.
pferreira1983 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I truly do worry about the fate of Doctor Who. I don't it to be cancelled again.
Well hey at least it came back after being cancelled once. That doesn't really happen much in the US, I don't know about the UK. The only example I can think of at the moment is Family Guy. And Smothers Brothers got a new show like 20 years later.
Arrested Development was brought back for a fourth season after being cancelled nearly a decade ago. They are hoping to do a fifth sometime. Granted it was Netflix that brought them back, not their former network (which I believe was Showtime or something).

I really hope that Better Off Ted gets brought back for a third season, they were cancelled in 2010. One of the funniest shows I've seen.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Sav C wrote: Arrested Development was brought back for a fourth season after being cancelled nearly a decade ago. They are hoping to do a fifth sometime. Granted it was Netflix that brought them back
Oh good point, Netflix is changing the game in many ways right now!
Sav C liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: Arrested Development was brought back for a fourth season after being cancelled nearly a decade ago. They are hoping to do a fifth sometime. Granted it was Netflix that brought them back
Oh good point, Netflix is changing the game in many ways right now!
Changing the game for the worst, in most cases I've seen. Just because you don't have to deal with commercial breaks and time restraints doesn't mean you can't trim some fat and be more concise with your storytelling. So far the only original show I've seen that is not a bloated mess is "GLOW."

Speaking of bloated, anybody else following Twin Peaks right now? Frustrating.

Doctor Who star Peter Davison 'calls it a day' on Twitter after "toxicity" around female Doctor comments
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07- ... r-comments
"There’s too much bile coming from both sides and too many people are being horribly sexist about it and too many people are saying 'well, we don’t care about you, you’re old-fashioned, go away and watch something else'," said Davison in the interview. "I think fans who are doubtful and uncertain should be encouraged and welcomed – just approach it with an open mind."
pferreira1983 liked this
Kingpin wrote:Sad as it is, I do think a lot of Whovians have proven themselves to be misogynistic... even I'm ashamed to say I may have felt a small ember of internalised misogyny following the announcement.

Not everyone who gets criticised is a misunderstood internet user trying to make a valid point, some are truly vile individuals with narrow minds.
I agree some are just sexist but not all. I mean my points about this have never been sexist as in "females can't be doctors" yet I get immediately pounced upon by Den of Geek members mostly because DoG is a predominantly left wing leaning site.
Kingpin wrote:On what basis? I haven't watched Broadchurch but I didn't get the impression it was proliferated with sexist jibes towards men.
Chibnall is a feminist right? Why do I get the impression it would be extremely difficult for him not to follow on from Moffat in making jibes towards men?
Kingpin wrote:Yawn.
Boring you with facts again? :mrgreen:
robbritton wrote:I watched Love & Monsters again last week, and you know what? It's really funny. (Peter Kay is awful in it, but then he is awful always, so that's to be expected!) Marc Warren plays it really well throughout and it's a good knockabout after the intensity of The Satan Pit. They can't all be Daemons, as my father used to say.
I'm one in the minority who thinks Street Fighter was one of the least worse video game movies. Welcome to that club! :crunch::mrgreen:
JurorNo.2 wrote:I wish they'd focus on that kind of complaint, instead of ranting that women or diversity is being "shoved down their throats."
Yes but it is. :-?
DarkSpectre wrote:I'm hoping that he doesn't go all Paul Feig and insult and alienate viewers unsure about the change. I decided to give Chibnall and Whittaker 1 episode to hook me. I did the same with Eccelston and Smith. Tennant was great from the moment he regenerated. I'm really hoping that Chibnall just writes her to be the Doctor and not a condescending Mary Sue with idiot male companions just because he wants to stick it to those unsure (I'm not talking about the sexist types).
Like a moth to a flame I find it unlikely Chibnall will not be able to resist.
DarkSpectre wrote:We wen't through all this garbage already and it's especially sad and hypocritical for some whovians to be like "The Doctor is about tolerance and acceptance" in one breath but then the next telling those with a different view point to leave the fandom.
Tell me about it, I've been on the receiving end of it. :-|
JurorNo.2 wrote:This is exactly what I'm talking about. What you're actually concerned about is lazy, short hand, pretentious writing. Then, guys....just say that! Don't make it seem like the presence of women are the problem. You will never gain support that way.
But it is a problem. The BBC are doing what most studios are doing and using the dreaded gender swap gimmick to get acceptance rather than stick close to the source material or come up with a new role for women.
featofstrength wrote:Doctor Who star Peter Davison 'calls it a day' on Twitter after "toxicity" around female Doctor comments
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07- ... r-comments
"There’s too much bile coming from both sides and too many people are being horribly sexist about it and too many people are saying 'well, we don’t care about you, you’re old-fashioned, go away and watch something else'," said Davison in the interview. "I think fans who are doubtful and uncertain should be encouraged and welcomed – just approach it with an open mind."
And this is because of the people who Juror and Kingpin either don't think exist or are correct to act that way. As I said I don't think these people deserve a female Doctor Who if this is their greedy mentality.
pferreira1983 wrote:yet I get immediately pounced upon by Den of Geek members mostly because DoG is a predominantly left wing leaning site.
Well, the way you conduct yourself could benefit from some restructuring... you do have a tendency to rub people the wrong way. Out of curiosity, what exactly have you been saying with regarding to Jodie's casting? (for the sake of streamlining things, let's leave our the remarks of the BBC's/Moffat's/Chibnall's left-wing feminist agenda in casting Jodie, and just get to the crux of your view) - are you okay with Jodie Whittaker being the 13th Doctor?
pferreira1983 wrote:Chibnall is a feminist right? Why do I get the impression it would be extremely difficult for him not to follow on from Moffat in making jibes towards men?
I guess he's a feminist? (I've not looked into it personally), that doesn't mean he is going to do that. I'm sure there are plenty of feminists who don't actually make jokes that demean men.
pferreira1983 wrote:Boring you with facts again?
I was expressing my boredom at you retreating the same talking points (the focus on feminism, Anita Sarkeesian, people who are left wing, social justice warriors). Your arguments could benefit from a bit more variety... I'm sure that there are other vocal feminists other than Anita, whose only connection to the Ghostbusters world is pretty tenuous. To avoid becoming a caricature of yourself with predictable dialogue/talking points... try something a little different than normal.
pferreira1983 wrote:And this is because of the people who Juror and Kingpin either don't think exist or are correct to act that way.
I've never said they don't exist, but I don't appear to encounter many of them. The ones who are truly hurtful deserve condemnation, but it's possible some of the more reasonable feminists may have their actions overblow and misconstrued (much like Davison's intent) by those with an axe to grind.
Kingpin wrote:Well, the way you conduct yourself could benefit from some restructuring... you do have a tendency to rub people the wrong way.
Anyone who knows me knows that's not my intention but more to get people to think of two sides instead of just one. If I can do that to some extent then I know I've accomplished something. :) By the way the moderator of Den of Geek is exactly the same as you. :mrgreen:
Kingpin wrote:Out of curiosity, what exactly have you been saying with regarding to Jodie's casting? (for the sake of streamlining things, let's leave our the remarks of the BBC's/Moffat's/Chibnall's left-wing feminist agenda in casting Jodie, and just get to the crux of your view) - are you okay with Jodie Whittaker being the 13th Doctor?
No. Streamlined enough for you? I mean you wanted a short answer, ha, ha! :mrgreen:
Kingpin wrote:I guess he's a feminist? (I've not looked into it personally), that doesn't mean he is going to do that. I'm sure there are plenty of feminists who don't actually make jokes that demean men.
Moffat is a feminist and did numerous times over the past few years:

http://whovianfeminism.tumblr.com/post/ ... cing-jodie

As for Chibnall, well he did right a sex gas monster for Torchwood that gobbles up men during sex. When you take into account Whittaker is a feminist I think the temptation will be far too much to resist.
Kingpin wrote:I've never said they don't exist, but I don't appear to encounter many of them. The ones who are truly hurtful deserve condemnation, but it's possible some of the more reasonable feminists may have their actions overblow and misconstrued (much like Davison's intent) by those with an axe to grind.
On Den of Geek in response to people hassling me on my views about the casting of the 13th Doctor I did some clarity on my way of thinking. Not sure if anyone really read it. This is my response to someone who felt offended that I was singling him out:

"When I talk about SJWs or the snowflakes I'm talking about people who are looking for reasons to complain, the people who want disruption just for the sake of it, for instance Anita Sarkeesian. She herself said when you're a feminist everything must be offensive, you must take issue with everything. It's people like her that are ruining society all for her own petty feminist ambitions.

I would think you'd have more sense than her Chris so I'm not complaining towards you. But my original point was that we have a political climate the way it is today because of people like her. It's now easy for someone to go into a shop and protest over social media they've been offended because the shop they visited had white jumpers and not enough black jumpers. THOSE are the people who are ruining society. Problem is mainstream media lumps all of feminism into one so every bad person in feminism or left wing gets attention and called wronged. This then creates an imbalance in politics where there's an overcompensation to please everybody resulting in the left wing taking more and more instead of a neutral climate where everybody can be happy.

Unfortunately this of course means that good people on here like servalanqueen and other feminists like Christina Hoff Summers get ignored due to the increase of bad left wing people. I'm also not out to offend you.

So whenever I moan and complain about OTT social justice like Doctor Who or Ghostbusters I'm not having a go at you, I'm having a go at those people who are ruining society or using social justice for greed. Unfortunately anything I say gets ignored as either trolling or me being sexist so it doesn't matter what I say since no one bothers to try to interpret what I say.
"

I then apologised yet again and said I wasn't singling him out in any way. :)
The REAL question is, will the new Dr. Who episodes have a terrible fart joke in it within the first 20 minutes?

I still have flash backs to that moment during GB 16. I could see the joke coming from a mile away. I thought "No. They won't do it. They won't have a fart sound on that EVP. Please God." and then...it happened. And the theatre was quiet as a tomb. A single tear rolled down my cheek, like the Indian in that old environment commercial.
A Ghost Fart ladies and gentlemen. Get it? Cause farts are HILARRRRIOUS. They come from our bum and make that toot sound! Poop is funny! Derpy Derpy Derpy Doo!

In all seriousness though as a Non Who watcher I don't get the uproar. The show has a new cast member built right into the mythology, right? The regeneration? I mean Who cares?? Get it? Cause I said "Wh..." Ahhh never mind. With rapier wit like that perhaps I should write the next GB movie! Quick someone get me the number of Ivan Reitman! I have a fart joke he's going to LOVE!
Alphagaia wrote:While I admit it's still a weaker moment in the movie as they could have used a different joke to get the point across, the fartjoke was intended to be immature, as we need to understand why Erin left Abby. Erin even says so herself and rolls her eyes.
Right. A fart joke getting a character moment across, that's so much better lol. It's terrible. Plus if memory serves they are claiming what they got was a ghost fart on tape, not a human fart. If the point was immaturity it would be revealed that it was just Abby farting on tape. It's been awhile but I don't think that happens, does it? So the actual claim is: they caught a paranormal fart, or no? Maybe I'm wrong. I probably am. Either way, it's awful. What does the original Ghostbusters teach us? You don't need to undercut character moments with jokes. You are correct, there a million different ways that scene could've played while getting out the same information. Remember in the original how we get a line like "Egon this reminds of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head" Egon replies "that would've worked if you hadn't stopped me". A seemingly throw away line that reveals a bit about Egon. The reboot could have easily, easily, easily done away with the fart joke and had a nice line of dialogue in it's place.

Oh wait. I just remembered. Didn't Holtzmann say the fart thing came from her? It was a queef? God. That's even worse. I'm trying to remember now. Anyways all I remember is the fart/queef joke being telegraphed a mile away.

Then we get that random Wonton thing? Just to set up the Chinese restaurant. God the movie is coming flooding back to me like a PTSD episode. Lazy, terrible writing. Ugh...where's my Prozac?
Sav C liked this
Yeah, not all the jokes are funny.
The idea was they had proof of an EVP, an Electronic Voice Phenomena, so they were not claiming to have caught a ghost fart as you remembered, but a ghostly voice. It's quite a famous thing in ghostmovies and ghosthunting series.
Abby has no problems ridiculing her own work with immature jokes, as she does this bit to everyone who walks in, while Erin wants the paranormal and herself to be respected. Abby taking the piss on Erin, hints why Erin left: Abby is easily distracted ( the soup ) and does not care what others think of her choice of work, while Erin is the exact opposite.
The EVP part of the joke was not intended to be punchline as the whole scene clearly telegraph's Erin is being hoodwinked, however Holtzmanns 'does it make it more or less gross if I told you it came from the front' was indeed the actual punchline, but it just comes of akward.
Sav C liked this
In all seriousness though as a Non Who watcher I don't get the uproar. The show has a new cast member built right into the mythology, right? The regeneration? I mean Who cares?? Get it? Cause I said "Wh..." Ahhh never mind. With rapier wit like that perhaps I should write the next GB movie! Quick someone get me the number of Ivan Reitman! I have a fart joke he's going to LOVE!
I don't get the uproar either. I'm a Dr. Who fan but no where close to being a Whovian. Ive only watched the series with Kilgrave and Matt smith. The Dr. regenerates into his next form usually at the end of a story arc. Like I said give it a couple years. If they get preachy with the new Dr. they'll have to bring back another favorite Dr. to bring older fans back in.

If you do happen to pen the next script please use a better writing system of watching all Real Ghostbusters episodes at once while throwing darts at the wall to come up with random plot lines.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:Anyone who knows me knows that's not my intention but more to get people to think of two sides instead of just one.
Except they're less likely to consider your point of view if the way you phrase it/go about it only turns them off.
pferreira1983 wrote:By the way the moderator of Den of Geek is exactly the same as you. :mrgreen:
Good for them? Though maybe that might say more about you than him/her or me.
pferreira1983 wrote:No. Streamlined enough for you?
I'm glad it was free of your usual rhetoric. Are you opposed to her because she isn't a good enough actress, or because of your views on social progressiveness of women in the media?
pferreira1983 wrote:Moffat is a feminist and did numerous times over the past few years
Moffat's one feminist, and one kind of feminist. They aren't all identical.
pferreira1983 wrote:As for Chibnall, well he did right a sex gas monster for Torchwood that gobbles up men during sex.
So? That doesn't mean he has an actual hatred for me - you're grasping at straws on this point.
pferreira1983 wrote:When you take into account Whittaker is a feminist I think the temptation will be far too much to resist.
I think you're overinvesting in your fear without any rational basis. It's all assumptions predetermined on this cartoonish caricature of feminists built up using examples of a handful of very extreme individuals.
RichardLess wrote:In all seriousness though as a Non Who watcher I don't get the uproar. The show has a new cast member built right into the mythology, right? The regeneration? I mean Who cares??
Fortunately for the most part it seems things have quietened down. Unfortunately it does just seem that some folks aren't happy that the Doctor is now going to be a woman, even though I think it's great as it gives women and girls another hero to add to their pantheon.
RichardLess wrote:What does the original Ghostbusters teach us? You don't need to undercut character moments with jokes.
There are different types of comedy. Spies Like Us has a fart joke, and it's hilarious because of how it's worked into the moment and how the characters react. Does the first Ghostbusters have humor like that? No, and that's fine, that's a different type of humor.

I don't want to get into what a movie "teaches us" because I've had enough of that lately from the Muppets fandom, lol. Now THERE'S a franchise with problems! :sigh:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:What does the original Ghostbusters teach us? You don't need to undercut character moments with jokes.
There are different types of comedy. Spies Like Us has a fart joke, and it's hilarious because of how it's worked into the moment and how the characters react. Does the first Ghostbusters have humor like that? No, and that's fine, that's a different type of humor.

I don't want to get into what a movie "teaches us" because I've had enough of that lately from the Muppets fandom, lol. Now THERE'S a franchise with problems! :sigh:
Very true. I guess my problem with the humour presented in GB16 is that it is vastly different humour from the original. And that's my own hang up because modern comedy is very different from what we got in '84/'89. When I think of Ghostbusters I think of mostly dry character based humour. I know GB 16 is its own thing and not beholden to what came before, it's just.. Disappointing to see something I love change so drastically. That's just my own opinion. Of course there is different types of comedy but with the man behind Freaks and Geeks at the helm, it's disappointing. Freaks and Geeks is very character based in its comedy, it's not broad at all. I don't mind broad comedy, I just don't like it mixed with Ghostbusters. Basically: I'm not someone who especially likes change. Many former girlfriends enjoy reminding me of that fact.
RichardLess wrote:Disappointing to see something I love change so drastically.
It would disappoint me if it was the original actors doing it. Different characters, different tone, I don't mind as much. Of course, it would have been cool to see those different tones up against in each other in one movie. I agree, that would have helped ATC a lot. I just don't hate it the way some fans do.
Basically: I'm not someone who especially likes change. Many former girlfriends enjoy reminding me of that fact.
Ahhh, that's why you're a Plinkett fan! ("And I don't like things that are different..." Lol)
I don't want to get into what a movie "teaches us" because I've had enough of that lately from the Muppets fandom, lol. Now THERE'S a franchise with problems
What do you call Muppet fanatics? Kermies? The last show couldn't decide if it wanted to be adult or kid centered and I think that's what did it in.
timeware wrote:
I don't want to get into what a movie "teaches us" because I've had enough of that lately from the Muppets fandom, lol. Now THERE'S a franchise with problems
What do you call Muppet fanatics? Kermies? The last show couldn't decide if it wanted to be adult or kid centered and I think that's what did it in.
They just call themselves Muppet fans, like Star Wars fans. But I do like Kermies, I might suggest that if they can get their act together. You're right that show was deeply confused. The fandom's problem is they really look at Jim Henson like some kind of personal Jesus who "taught us" lessons, and anyone who ever worked with him must be pure and good of heart. So yeah, if someone steps out of line, the fandom sits rocking back and forth in a corner for months. :roll:

I don't think we have that problem here, yes?
I think that having a female Doctor was inevitable and have no issues or problems with it. We've already established that a Time Lord can regenerate to the opposite sex with Missy. And it's not a hard-reboot to ignore all the stories and Doctors that have came before.

Doctor Who is a great series because of its nature, getting a 'soft reboot' every few seasons with a new Doctor. The key elements usually stay the same, but the tone and style can shift wildly over a few regeneration.

My only critique would be maybe it's coming too close off the heels of the Missy storyline. But eh, I can see them wanting to capitalize while the getting's good.

Edit -- Actually it kinda works better having it happen off the heels of Missy. It's sudo-established that a Time Lord's regeneration is kinda shaped by their subconscious, so having so much interaction with Missy during this incarnation might have been what causes him to shift during regeneration in the first place.
I keep going back and forth on whether or not I'll continue to watch the show after Capaldi's departure. To me 12 teaming up with the original Doctor brings the series full circle and is a good stopping point. I guess I'm already over "finally girls have someone to look up to" excuse that's used to justify every instance of a well established character getting gender flipped. I'm all for strong female characters, Ripley, Buffy, Janeway, but 2 things: 1. There's a bit of hypocrisy here because if well established female characters were gender swapped, there would be so many people triggered by it and 2. When does it end? When all established male characters are female? The perception of the Doctor Who fandom has now shifted to a sense that Whovians were just ironically being fanatic about the series, cosplaying as the Doctors, gobbling up all the merchandise, while all the same time deep down pining for the Doctor to be a woman? Doesn't make alot of sense. Whovians had no issue with how the Doctor was portrayed until this gender flip and then suddenly its made the show more watchable and if you don't like it you're sexist and need to leave the fandom? It just hits too close to home after the past year is probably why I'm more sensitive to it, I dunno.
DarkSpectre wrote:Whovians had no issue with how the Doctor was portrayed until this gender flip and then suddenly its made the show more watchable and if you don't like it you're sexist and need to leave the fandom?
I don't think that's the perception the general public has. Sure, some hard core feminists would say the show is "more watchable" now, but they don't represent most people. Most people are just thinking, "OK, there's been 12 men, now there's the first woman. Neat, what's the big deal?"
I liked when the Master became Missy...appropriately devious and underhanded going that route to pull one over on the Doctor.

Or when Loki convinced Odin to turn Thor into a woman.

We'll have to wait and see if they can work the change reasonably into the story without shrugging and going "just 'cause."

Definitely not like this:
Pictured: the f****g worst.
pferreira1983 liked this

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]