Discuss the new Ghostbusters movie to be released in 2016, directed by Paul Feig.
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4896603
Don't we have a review thread already?

Do we need a special thread for the same guys who already disliked it with a fiery passion?
Sav C, Kingpin, Uncredited Extra and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By featofstrength
#4896604
Alphagaia wrote:Don't we have a review thread already?

Do we need a special thread for the same guys who already disliked it with a fiery passion?


If you've watched Plinkett's Star Wars prequel reviews, you know they're much more analysis than review.
A post mortem...this is possibly the best we could have hoped for at this point. Lemonade from lemons.

So, yes...in my opinion, and I'm sure many others here, this is deserving of its own thread.
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4896605
I have seen those reviews, and that's why I'm afraid it's just another rehash of all the gripes we have seen the last year. Not saying it cannot be insightful, I just think most people are done with the endless back and forth to give it that much of a podium.
TobyMobias liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896607
I really do love Plinkett's Star Wars analysis, a very unique character to say the least, lol. I guess I can't say they're too late with ATC, as their Star Wars and Star Trek analyses were done much later as well. I just hope they put some thought into it. Plinkett isn't someone who would be ranting about gender politics. Well, he'd do it, but then get distracted by something else. In a twisted way, he's above that sort of thing on either side.

Btw, let me be clear. I'm a fan of Plinkett. RLM, it depends. Their review of GBII was way off the mark and often painful to listen to.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 7th, 2017, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By RichardLess
#4896608
featofstrength wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Don't we have a review thread already?

Do we need a special thread for the same guys who already disliked it with a fiery passion?


If you've watched Plinkett's Star Wars prequel reviews, you know they're much more analysis than review.
A post mortem...this is possibly the best we could have hoped for at this point. Lemonade from lemons.

So, yes...in my opinion, and I'm sure many others here, this is deserving of its own thread.


Agreed. This needed it's own thread. I don't go thru the review forum due to its size and had this not been posted here I would have missed it. Thanks for the upload. I bet it will be glorious. I disagree strongly with their prequel reviews but they still entertain me. This isn't just a review. It's a hardcore analysis.
deadderek liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896609
RichardLess wrote:I disagree strongly with their prequel reviews but they still entertain me.


I know a lot of prequels fans were angry at the Plinkett reviews, I'm curious how you were able to enjoy them while still disagreeing? Just wondering. :)
By RichardLess
#4896611
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:I disagree strongly with their prequel reviews but they still entertain me.


I know a lot of prequels fans were angry at the Plinkett reviews, I'm curious how you were able to enjoy them while still disagreeing? Just wondering. :)


I'm a very complex man.

No they were funny and I'm always down for some in depth Star Wars analysis. It was interesting and made a few good points. I have friends I strongly disagree with about some core concepts I believe or don't believe in, yet we are still friends.

Plus it's not 100% prequel bashing. There are some things he likes. He doesn't take the easy road and say Hayden is a terrible actor. Infact he says he played the part well with that he was given.
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896612
RichardLess wrote:
Plus it's not 100% prequel bashing. There are some things he likes. He doesn't take the easy road and say Hayden is a terrible actor. Infact he says he played the part well with that he was given.


That's true, and he said he liked the Mutt character in Crystal Skull. So yeah, as long as he hasn't jumped the shark, I expect him to have a couple moments in ATC that he liked.

Btw, slightly off topic, but when I first saw Hayden's performance, I got the impression he was attempting to imitate James Earl Jones' cadence, since he has to turn into Darth Vader later. It just didn't come off the way they thought it would. Just my impression.
deadderek liked this
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4896613
Well, I just hope we don't reset as a fanbase and start the whole conflict again. I will be watching it ofcourse!
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896616
Alphagaia wrote:Well, I just hope we don't reset as a fanbase and start the whole conflict again. I will be watching it ofcourse!


I don't think it'll make as big a splash as the prequel reviews.
deadderek liked this
By RichardLess
#4896617
Alphagaia wrote:Well, I just hope we don't reset as a fanbase and start the whole conflict again. I will be watching it ofcourse!


The peace we have made will not be broken. It's cost us too many fans, losses on both sides. Apparently we have other things to argue about. Like Dr. Who lol
Sav C, Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896618
RichardLess wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:Well, I just hope we don't reset as a fanbase and start the whole conflict again. I will be watching it ofcourse!


The peace we have made will not be broken. It's cost us too many fans, losses on both sides. Apparently we have other things to argue about. Like Dr. Who lol


Yeah I actually think the Doctor Who backlash helped out ATC in a way. People are starting to get sick of the rants about evil feminism destroying childhoods or whatever. Richardless, I know your main issue with ATC was the tone, and you thought the gender complaints were a distraction.
Kingpin, Razorgeist liked this
User avatar
By deadderek
#4896626
Can't wait for Plinkett's review!

Image
JurorNo.2, Wafflerobot liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896658
Just watched that Coming Soon video now. Thing is, if they're going to have Plinkett take pot shots at the original Ghostbusters just for supporting the reboot, then I'm not as interested in their analysis. Like I said, they already were far too harsh on GB2. So I'll switch my enthusiasm to cautious mode. We'll see. I don't know, maybe it's the YouTube comments under that Coming Soon video, they make me weep for humanity (but what else is new). We don't need more of that in this world. If RLM is just begging for easy up votes with this then count me out. But, I have to admit, that's what RLM has always been about, going after easy targets like the prequels. Would have been far more gutsy to criticize Force Awakens (and thankfully they were called out for that and then some. ;))
TobyMobias liked this
User avatar
By Lee FW
#4896659
Great...now I'll never be able to bring up Ghostbusters again without someone quoting or using RLM as an argument. I think it's his cult of fanboys that annoy me more than the reviews/analysis themselves. He might have some valid points but it's wrapped up in the most infuriating of characters.
JurorNo.2, TobyMobias liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896661
Lee FW wrote:Great...now I'll never be able to bring up Ghostbusters again without someone quoting or using RLM as an argument. I think it's his cult of fanboys that annoy me more than the reviews/analysis themselves.


Exactly. I loved Plinkett's reviews...until it became a lazy way for fanboys and girls to get out of a debate, or prove how cool they are. I don't know, when I was a kid, being a geek meant being rebellious. Now it means following the crowd. And getting up votes.
User avatar
By featofstrength
#4896685
Lee FW wrote:Great...now I'll never be able to bring up Ghostbusters again without someone quoting or using RLM as an argument. I think it's his cult of fanboys that annoy me more than the reviews/analysis themselves. He might have some valid points but it's wrapped up in the most infuriating of characters.


You aren't saying anything hordes of prequel lovers haven't already said.
And Plinkett might not be saying anything that hasn't already been said...just more compiled, concise, and intended to be entertaining.

Sorry it's not your cup of tea. At least you'll always have "Certified Fresh?"

For everyone else, enjoy:
MagicPrime, deadderek, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
By RichardLess
#4896690
Take every criticism I've ever made about GB'16 and that's the Plinkett review. It was perfect.

It summarizes everything *I* didn't like about the film perfectly. For people who hate comparisons to the original though? It may not be for you. I really hope Paul Feig watches this.
Thank you Mr Plinkett. Thank you
deadderek, seekandannoy liked this
User avatar
By deadderek
#4896697
I enjoyed the hell out of the review of the reboot. Spot on Plinkett review. I ought to get around to sending him some pizza rolls sometime.
SpaceBallz liked this
User avatar
By Alphagaia
#4896701
Plinkett contradicts himself a few times, with the no love interest (Kevin and Erin's BF), says Feig is too nice, when he also showed a clip of Dan and Feig not agreeing on missing scenes with says Feig does call the shots, even though they added them later when audience agreed with Dan, but rightfully targets Bill for being there actual biggest problem the GBfranchise has.

I don't think the GBettes are carbon copies of the OGB as well, with perhaps the exception being Holtzmann.

He goes a bit overboard with sampling to many scenes together with different audio's and responses to enforce his point in an unfair way, but some of the actual movie edits are better, some are worse, as you also need to consider the following/prior scene.

Overall, a decent review that's surprisingly more respectful to the creators. Well, except for Bill.
User avatar
By featofstrength
#4896703
Alphagaia wrote:I don't think the GBettes are carbon copies of the OGB as well, with perhaps the exception being Holtzmann.

huh?
Image

Alphagaia wrote:Overall, a decent review that's surprisingly more respectful to the creators. Well, except for Bill.

Yes, also surprising that he stayed within the movie and really made few jokes about the controversy surrounding it. Didn't touch on the all-women/misogyny stuff...which has been done to death...even if I kinda wanted to hear him rail on it in the Plinkett voice :P
By RichardLess
#4896706
Kingpin wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:58 minutes... how could any human being handle this much pleasure?


How can anyone handle that much analysis? 58 minutes isn't a review, it's a thesis.


58 minutes is short compared to the Star Wars prequels reviews lol I think those are over an hour.

That being said, it isn't just a review. You are right, It is pretty much a thesis. Which is why I tend to enjoy his videos even though I disagree with some of what he says. If you haven't watched it he makes 11 points of contention(with side tangents and a couple skits) and backs up each claim/opinion with examples. I love in depth video essays/books that cover all the bases. I can see how some people might find it a bit too much though.

The biggest criticism which I think most of us agree on(I think? Maybe not) is the all poor ab libbing. That scene with the Dean of the college kicking Abbey out is so hard to watch.

Also anyone who watched the video, what did you think of the edit Plinkett made of the subway scene? He mutes all the dialogue and let's the suspense build through atmosphere. Again he makes a excellent point by comparing '16 to '84. '16 is afraid of not having a comment or quip every other second while '84 takes things more seriously and let's the audience take things in a bit more.

Just remember folks: a review is just another opinion. If you love GB'16 that's awesome. If you dislike it for reasons other than the leads having no penis, the video is like a warm hug. If it has anything to do with "no girls aloud" well then...you're an idiot. And sexist.
deadderek liked this
User avatar
By JurorNo.2
#4896712
Well...I finally found a reason to hate ATC.

...It caused Plinkett to finally jump the shark. About 75 of them.

Plinkett just made the #1 mistake of a comedian. He put his anger over his sense of humor. The whole reason Plinkett's reviews worked in the past was the witty juxtaposition of this murderous old guy taking mainstream blockbuster movies down a peg or two. He went after movies that had a lot of hype around them but proved disappointments. And occasionally he'd give a wink to the audience, showing he also knows how screwy he is. But with this ATC review, all I'm getting is arrogant fanboy rage toward a movie that he was never going to like to begin with. Plinkett has completely lost the self deprecating quality that made his previous reviews so amusing and original.

If anyone enjoys this review, it's because you too are angry. Not because it's funny.

Nor is it accurate. For Plinkett to compare Abby to Ray and Erin to Venkman leads me to question his fandom in the first place. Abby is the Venkman, the assertive one who rubs people the wrong way, and who urges her best friend to go into business and not be afraid of ridicule. Erin is the Ray, the more low key one who takes her work seriously but is also concerned about her reputation. Hello, Venkman even teased Ray about always being concerned about his reputation! And no, Erin shouldn't be all that respected at her workplace because clearly neither were Ray or Egon. The whole point was that they were underdogs who didn't follow the rules! (That's assuming ATC is even following GB84 that close to begin with, which it isn't). Even if you dislike ATC, this is not up for debate. That's the problem with a lot of these Internet critics, they think the only qualification they need is "liking movies." But they don't really understand them.

I'll go a step further. Plinkett has no business commenting on Ghostbusters (1984). His shtick is to show off his allegedly keen knowledge of storytelling with such rudimentary phrases as "protagonist" and "arc." That works for a fairly straight forward movie like Star Wars. But GB84's charm has always been that it deliberately, and successfully, broke with many of those writing conventions. Plinkett has never even tried reviewing such outlier films, often brushing them aside as exceptions to the rules he holds so dear. In other words, he's far out of his league here.

Plus he makes the at this point extremely annoying blanket statement that the humor in GB84 is "dry and sarcastic." Yes, some of the characters are dry and sarcastic and it works great. But others are not, and it also works great. If GB84 was entirely dry and sarcastic it would be a very different movie. This "dry and sarcastic" obsession is simply fanboys and girls wanting to appear all erudite and stuff while still enjoying mainstream entertainment.

Notice I haven't even tried to defend ATC. Whether you like it or not is beside the point. The point is the irrational resentment that fans continue to have towards this one random movie, and how it's done nothing but cloud their judgement. And they're STILL griping about whatever future plans Reitman has in mind. At this point, fans are the only reason this franchise wouldn't continue. This goes all the way back to the whining over GB2. Meanwhile so many lesser franchises will continue unabated. It's not right, people.

Fanboys and girls will like this review because it speaks to their own anger. But it brings nothing new to the table; frankly, Plinkett never has. It's a case of monkey see, monkey do, about a year too late. It failed to speak to me as both a Ghosthead and a Plinkett fan. Oh well, I'll go watch Ghostbusters II now. Sorry, RLM, you're not forgiven for that review, either. :twisted:
Sav C, Kingpin, TobyMobias liked this
By RichardLess
#4896718
JurorNo.2 wrote:Well...I finally found a reason to hate ATC.

...It caused Plinkett to finally jump the shark. About 75 of them.

Plinkett just made the #1 mistake of a comedian. He put his anger over his sense of humor. The whole reason Plinkett's reviews worked in the past was the witty juxtaposition of this murderous old guy taking mainstream blockbuster movies down a peg or two. He went after movies that had a lot of hype around them but proved disappointments. And occasionally he'd give a wink to the audience, showing he also knows how screwy he is. But with this ATC review, all I'm getting is arrogant fanboy rage toward a movie that he was never going to like to begin with. Plinkett has completely lost the self deprecating quality that made his previous reviews so amusing and original.

If anyone enjoys this review, it's because you too are angry. Not because it's funny.

Nor is it accurate. For Plinkett to compare Abby to Ray and Erin to Venkman leads me to question his fandom in the first place. Abby is the Venkman, the assertive one who rubs people the wrong way, and who urges her best friend to go into business and not be afraid of ridicule. Erin is the Ray, the more low key one who takes her work seriously but is also concerned about her reputation. Hello, Venkman even teased Ray about always being concerned about his reputation! And no, Erin shouldn't be all that respected at her workplace because clearly neither were Ray or Egon. The whole point was that they were underdogs who didn't follow the rules! (That's assuming ATC is even following GB84 that close to begin with, which it isn't). Even if you dislike ATC, this is not up for debate. That's the problem with a lot of these Internet critics, they think the only qualification they need is "liking movies." But they don't really understand them.

I'll go a step further. Plinkett has no business commenting on Ghostbusters (1984). His shtick is to show off his allegedly keen knowledge of storytelling with such rudimentary phrases as "protagonist" and "arc." That works for a fairly straight forward movie like Star Wars. But GB84's charm has always been that it deliberately, and successfully, broke with many of those writing conventions. Plinkett has never even tried reviewing such outlier films, often brushing them aside as exceptions to the rules he holds so dear. In other words, he's far out of his league here.

Plus he makes the at this point extremely annoying blanket statement that the humor in GB84 is "dry and sarcastic." Yes, some of the characters are dry and sarcastic and it works great. But others are not, and it also works great. If GB84 was entirely dry and sarcastic it would be a very different movie. This "dry and sarcastic" obsession is simply fanboys and girls wanting to appear all erudite and stuff while still enjoying mainstream entertainment.

Notice I haven't even tried to defend ATC. Whether you like it or not is beside the point. The point is the irrational resentment that fans continue to have towards this one random movie, and how it's done nothing but cloud their judgement. And they're STILL griping about whatever future plans Reitman has in mind. At this point, fans are the only reason this franchise wouldn't continue. This goes all the way back to the whining over GB2. Meanwhile so many lesser franchises will continue unabated. It's not right, people.

Fanboys and girls will like this review because it speaks to their own anger. But it brings nothing new to the table; frankly, Plinkett never has. It's a case of monkey see, monkey do, about a year too late. It failed to speak to me as both a Ghosthead and a Plinkett fan. Oh well, I'll go watch Ghostbusters II now. Sorry, RLM, you're not forgiven for that review, either. :twisted:


I think you are making a mistake by labelling people who like the review "angry". Are some people angry? Probably. I know I was. But it's been over a year, I've moved on. I didn't find the review as funny as his Star Wars reviews but I thought it was one of his best as a pure analytical piece. I'm not going to get into why GB'16 is a mess since we've covered all that ground over and over and this video did a better job than I ever could. But to say he jumped the shark? You can disagree with the points he makes, that's fine. But it's the same old Plinkett. The character comparison isn't the strongest but I loved the punch line of Patty being Louis. Comparing GB'16 to the '84 isn't your favourite thing but I thought showing the 2 side by side really brought home how GREAT the original is. If anything the review is less of a takedown and more of a analysis on why GB'84 is a masterpiece and why a remake was probably never going to work. I also loved this point about how a GB3 with the original crew would be been just fine since they are schlubby to begin with.

I expect this review to probably keep everyone along party lines. If you liked the movie? You won't care for the review and dismiss its effectiveness. If you hated the movie? You'll think it's the 2nd coming of Christ.

One thing I know? Seeing the original side by side with the remake really makes the original stand out as being lightning in a bottle. And it's true, we should stop calling this a reboot. It's a remake.
User avatar
By Sav C
#4896720
I think it's probably pretty obvious that I'm not in the loop with all this stuff, and honestly it amazes me that so many of you are willing to watch an hour long review by a Youtube celebrity. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you're so dedicated, it's just that Youtube stars and stuff are really kind of foreign to me, hence the amazement. Mundane Matt, Plinkett, RLM, and so many others which you all know about, and I don't. I know of them only because you've mentioned them. That guy who decided not to review the movie and caused a controversy himself? I would've had no clue who he was. It's just cool to think that Youtube is a world in its own. :)
deadderek liked this

During? Probably not. But I should watch them both[…]

Assuming everything is hooked up right that should[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the Ghost[…]

Active or not, in your opinion, who makes/made th[…]