Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
Didn't Sony want to avoid the comparisons of the old GB by not only cast woman but give them different characters as well? I realise Holtzmann looks a bit like RGB Egon and is the tinkerer, and Patty has the same skin color as Winston, but that's about it, right?
Well considering how much was already lifted from the original (admittedly Feig and Dippold didn't have to do much) It absolutely makes sense that they took the 4 archetypes (Mouth, Brains, Heart and Soul) and used that as a basis. They tweaked the characters to the right to make their personalities blend more. Again that's just my interpretation of it. It makes sense though. Yates is the hard scientist but also the enthusiastic one. Hotlzmann is the builder and mouth, Tolan is the mouth/everyman and Wiig is the soul (ghost girl) and about the prestige (tenure, proving ghosts are real).
JurorNo.2 wrote:I'm sorry, having watched the reboot again last night with a friend, I'm going back to militant mode. Plinkett is full of it here. ATC has a lot of tension building, low key moments. None of his cliche "improvements" are remotely necessary. The movie isn't filled with "go boom" humor. And the cameos are only painful to a fanboy/girl who's obsessed with being jaded and above it all.

And again, Plinkett's character parallels are way off.

Sorry, Plinkett, you may have pleased a lot of bitter fanboys/girls, but you jumped the shark in doing so. That's what fandoms are about today, rejecting quality for belonging to the crowd. Once again, I'll be over here enjoying GB2 and ATC. RLM, I hope those "reviews" haunt you forever as the moments you ceased to be critics, and just became fanboys. :)

And again, featofstrength, I'm not mad at you for sharing. This is just what discussion boards are for.

Well I enjoyed Plinkett's review for the most part. True that could be because I am a bit bitter about how ATC turned out. I do love hearing other people's POV though. I actually love that there are so many people that took away a lot positive aspects from the reboot. I wish I enjoyed the reboot more. That doesn't mean I hate the movie far from it. I like it for what it is, but I don't love it like I do the first 2 films and the Video Game. ATC wasn't going to be able to meet any of my expectations because there was so much build up since 1989. Then the Video Game came out in 2009 and it sparked more interest and the expectations got built up even more. Then the comics started giving me a taste of what another round would feel like with these characters. After all that I was hungry and excited for another film in the series and then they went with a Remake. Just a wee bit of a letdown. ;).

That is the biggest obstacle that ATC has is standing on it's own after so much hype for a third film. For the most part it doesn't do too badly. I mean even if this movie is considered a flop it could have been much worse. It could have bombed as bad as Jem. My apologies for drawing that comparison. It really isn't the same because that was a crowd funded film and was on very few screens. ;). I am just saying that the property could have taken a much bigger hit that could have ruined any chance for a future film. As bad as ATC is it did succeed in getting the general public talking Ghostbusters again. Like I have said the franchise may not be as big as Star Wars, but it is big enough to survive a minor misstep. The franchise will go on and the ATC can move forward in comic form as long as there is interest. It is kind of fun knowing that there is a strong future for Ghostbusters, but not knowing exactly what they have in mind. Like I said it is going to be a fun few years. :):):)
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this
Ok. I was going to make a thread about this but I just didn't know where it would belong. Plus I'm so frazzled by what I just saw I just clicked the first thread I saw.
Does anybody watch the show Vice on HBO? Well they just aired an episode on the Nazi rally in Charlestom(it's on YouTube for free right now but I'm doing this from a place where I can't access YouTube so forgive me for not providing a link). Guess what it showed? A Neo Nazi group with this huge banner. What did they have as their logo? The friggin Ghostbusters no Ghost logo. That's right. The episode follows a group of Neo Nazi's spouting insanely racist things so if you are someone who would rather stay away from that sort of thing, don't watch it. I'm so disgusted I'm shaking. It's literally hard for me to type. Not just at the use of our beloved logo but the entire episode shows such hatred that I can't believe human beings are still capable of in this day and age.

Apologies for the off topic discussion. Maybe I should have created a thread. I'll leave that to someone else. I just..I can't even.

Edit: here's the link: https://youtu.be/RIrcB1sAN8I
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:A Neo Nazi group with this huge banner. What did they have as their logo? The friggin Ghostbusters no Ghost logo. That's right.
I'm not even sure I can wrap (or would that be warp?) my head into understanding the logic of what they could possibly be using the logo for (unless they're somehow trying to "take it back"?)

It makes me feel more inclined to throw together that no-klansman /Klanbusters/KKKbusters logo that I mused upon earlier today.
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:A Neo Nazi group with this huge banner. What did they have as their logo? The friggin Ghostbusters no Ghost logo. That's right.
I'm not even sure I can wrap (or would that be warp?) my head into understanding the logic of what they could possibly be using the logo for (unless they're somehow trying to "take it back"?)

It makes me feel more inclined to throw together that no-klansman /Klanbusters/KKKbusters logo that I mused upon earlier today.
Boy do I feel like a heel. I'm an idiot. That video made me so angry that I mistakenly took the GB logo as a Neo Nazi banner. I rewatched it and it's actually an anti KKK logo that says something along the lines as "I ain't afraid of white supremacist". Sorry folks. I was wrong. The way the footage was cut together when I originally watched it I thought I was looking at the Neo Nazi crowd(plus I didn't get a good look at the slogan part). Watching it on my IPad it became clear it was a sign against KKK. I guess I just assumed it was the Neo Nazi's since I read earlier that the Detriot Red Wings(a hockey team) were suing a Neo Nazi group that used the Red Wing logo at the rally.

Apologies folks. Shouldn't have been so quick to rush to judgment. So sorry.
By JurorNo.2
It's ok, I think I saw the same clip and for a second I thought one of them was wearing a GB jumpsuit, lol.
By Sav C
The confederates f**** up. Their monuments should be removed. Not destroyed, but removed. They should be placed in a museum--a place for the past. Not displayed as if the people they depict are honourable. The confederates erected them because they represented their values, but as evidenced by the evils that turned out to protect the monument in Charlottesville--the KKK, Neo-nazis, white supremacists--those monuments do not represent good. They represent the confederates who f**** up. The only people who admire those f*** ups are the current f*** ups of society. The f*** ups of society are the KKK, Neo-Nazis, and white supremacists. They are institutions for evil f*** ups, and they will not be tolerated. The monuments don't represent the values of good people, the values of Americans, but the values of f*** ups.
deadderek, TobyMobias, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
By timeware
It was disgusting and vile what happened in charlotesville. Those Nazi assholes, and the anarchists that got violent should be arrested and held accountable. The piece of garbage that drove that car should get the death penalty. How many more times do we have to see people acting worse then barbarians?

Half of these dumb asses in masks and helmets couldn't even point to Pennsylvania on a map much less tell you where Gettysburg is. I guarantee the lot of these neanderthal's wouldn't even know what started the Civil War or who the hell Robert E. Lee was.

The sad part in all this is the assholes that won't get arrested are just going to move onto another protest and repeat the cycle of violence all over again. Some of these shit stains are professional rioters and not even from Charlotesville.
JurorNo.2, featofstrength, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By Kingpin
Sav C wrote:The confederates erected them because they represented their values
Actually, they may have only erected some of them. A British newspaper I was reading today indicated some Confederate Civil War memorials/statues weren't put up in the dying years of the war, nor in the initial post-civil-war years, but across a range of time from the 1900s to the 1950s, by confederacy-sympathising state and local government officials.
JurorNo.2, Sav C, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Kingpin wrote:
Sav C wrote:The confederates erected them because they represented their values
Actually, they may have only erected some of them. A British newspaper I was reading today indicated some Confederate Civil War memorials/statues weren't put up in the dying years of the war, nor in the initial post-civil-war years, but across a range of time from the 1900s to the 1950s, by confederacy-sympathising state and local government officials.
Correct. These were not monuments to fallen soliders or anything. They were built a century later as a big FU to Civil Rights groups. I'm sure a lot of Southerns today grew up with them and assume they're far older and timeless than they actually are. Nostalgia has its ugly moments.

I was down at the Jersey shore the other day. I read recently that the Klan had taken the area over in the '20s to intimidate the Italian and Irish Catholics vacationing there. The Klan hates pretty much everyone. And there were no "good people" carrying torches last weekend. Not saying they can't change. Many Klansmen have. But Trump doesn't seem to get how much he's enabling them.
By Kingpin
It begs the question though, why isn't being a Nazi/Neo-Nazi an actual crime? Criminal prosecutions can be brought against holocaust deniers, so why in the name of sanity is waving the swastika (outside of historical re-enactment) and throwing the Nazi salute not an arrestable offense? Considering the nation fought against them from 1941-1945, I'm surprised that it wasn't declared in the 1940s that anyone subscribing to Nazi tendencies/ideologies was an enemy of the state and should be imprisoned.
Kingpin wrote:It begs the question though, why isn't being a Nazi/Neo-Nazi an actual crime? Criminal prosecutions can be brought against holocaust deniers, so why in the name of sanity is waving the swastika (outside of historical re-enactment) and throwing the Nazi salute not an arrestable offense? Considering the nation fought against them from 1941-1945, I'm surprised that it wasn't declared in the 1940s that anyone subscribing to Nazi tendencies/ideologies was an enemy of the state and should be imprisoned.
I'm not an American but the first Amendment allows for free speech, no matter how stupid. Now there are limits. You can't shout "Fire!" In a crowded theatre unless there is one. But as vile and evil and sickening as Neo Nazi's are, that first amendment gives them the right to say whatever they want. Some would say we can't go arresting people no matter how much we disagree with them. It's a slippery slope they would say. Americans hold their constitution VERY seriously. Look how many innocent lives have been lost due to guns and no President would get elected if they even mention repealing the whatever numbered amendment that gives them the right to bare arms(which I say just gives people the right to wear sleeveless T shirts!). What Americans refuse to acknowledge is that certain amendments were written during a special time and place. What was written in 1776 may not apply to today. The founding fathers couldn't foresee the weapons that would be developed with technology like armour piercing bullets and hollow point ammunition. But that first amendment is a special one. Gives them the right to spout hateful bigotry and my right to call them facist losers with tiny, um, "Hands".
JurorNo.2, Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote:I'm not an American but the first Amendment allows for free speech, no matter how stupid. Now there are limits. You can't shout "Fire!" In a crowded theatre unless there is one. But as vile and evil and sickening as Neo Nazi's are, that first amendment gives them the right to say whatever they want.
Personally I don't believe it should, silencing Nazis should be one of those things all reasonable people can agree on as being the right thing to do, and silencing it shouldn't incur a threat of leading to a slippery slope. When you foster a culture that allows this sort of hateful cancer to perpetuate and grow... well... you get situations like Charlottesville.
RichardLess wrote:What was written in 1776 may not apply to today. The founding fathers couldn't foresee the weapons that would be developed with technology like armour piercing bullets and hollow point ammunition.
Agreed, much like the provisions that bar non-American-born citizens from becoming President, some of it just isn't relevant anymore. In some areas I believe the Constitution was written so that it could be reflective of the 1770s and now, other parts I'd like to believe were either written with the idea in mind that it would be a document that would evolve with time... or would've been replaced by an updated Constitution at some point in the future.
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Kingpin wrote:It begs the question though, why isn't being a Nazi/Neo-Nazi an actual crime?
First Amendment. As long as all they're doing is saying stupid things, it's not a crime. When it crosses over into intimidation, that's where they're not necessarily protected. And they're definitely not protected when they get violent.

The theory behind the First Amendment is that bad speech much be allowed, or we risk losing all speech. Today I could censor a Nazi, but tomorrow they could gain some influence and censor me. Plus, we'd rather have the Klan announce their stupidity to the world, so we can recognize it for what it is. We don't want them hiding in the shadows. And this has worked for many years. The Klan talked themselves into irrelevancy. But on the other hand, our economy wasn't too bad years back. The Klan has always been fueled by desperation. That's why they're coming back. Not because of speech.

I mean, you weren't brought up this way, I can understand that it doesn't seem to make sense.
silencing it shouldn't incur a threat of leading to a slippery slope.
It shouldn't. But we've observed that that is human nature.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 16th, 2017, 7:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:What Americans refuse to acknowledge is that certain amendments were written during a special time and place. What was written in 1776 may not apply to today. The founding fathers couldn't foresee the weapons that would be developed with technology like armour piercing bullets and hollow point ammunition.
Thing is, gun violence in America is intrinsically linked to poverty. It always comes back to poverty. Help people to be upwardly mobile, there will be less gun violence. But that's happening less and less. When corporate greed and hard hearted politicians use and abuse the working class for so long, those people become hard hearted themselves and turn against each other.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:What Americans refuse to acknowledge is that certain amendments were written during a special time and place. What was written in 1776 may not apply to today. The founding fathers couldn't foresee the weapons that would be developed with technology like armour piercing bullets and hollow point ammunition.
Thing is, gun violence in America is intrinsically linked to poverty. It always comes back to poverty. Help people to be upwardly mobile, there will be less gun violence. But that's happening less and less. When corporate greed and hard hearted politicians use and abuse the working class for so long, those people become hard hearted themselves and turn against each other.
Gun violence is linked to guns. Get rid of them and problem solved.

But I get what you are saying. Chris Rock once said they should make Bullets insanely expensive and it could cut gun violence down at least in half
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By timeware
It's easy to say that gun violence can be solved by lifting poverty but that's just one part of it.

You have cities like Chicago and Detroit with the strictest gun laws in the country allowing gangs and dealers to run around as they please. A lot of these laws are unconstitutional but that doesn't matter when these cities are run by liberal mayors. States that allow people to carry have less crime then those who don't.

As long as they keep electing idiots like Blazio and Rob Emanual nothings going to change in those environments.
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:

Maybe that has worked in the UK. Making things illegal just doesn't seem to work too well in the US. The illegal object just becomes a huge underground market, every time.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote:It's easy to say that gun violence can be solved by lifting poverty but that's just one part of it.

You have cities like Chicago and Detroit with the strictest gun laws in the country allowing gangs and dealers to run around as they please. A lot of these laws are unconstitutional but that doesn't matter when these cities are run by liberal mayors. States that allow people to carry have less crime then those who don't.

As long as they keep electing idiots like Blazio and Rob Emanual nothings going to change in those environments.
Hmm. I don't know if that is true. Plus you can carry anywhere so long as you have a permit, no? Places like Florida have lax guns laws, don't they? Florida has a major crime problem. See that Vice episode I posted? If you watched it look how many guns that Neo Nazi carries. High Power assault rifle, multiple hand guns, tactile gear. The law allows him to own that crap. I think people should be able to purchase a fire arm like a carbine rifle as a hunting weapon(after passing background checks and being put in a database similar to license plates) . Assault rifles and hand guns are only meant for one thing
timeware wrote:It's easy to say that gun violence can be solved by lifting poverty but that's just one part of it.

Gasp...can you mention "Chicago" in a disparaging way without being labeled a racist?
By JurorNo.2
featofstrength wrote:
Gasp...can you mention "Chicago" in a disparaging way without being labeled a racist?
Let me put it this way. I don't think it's especially...appreciated when white people disparage Chicago. It doesn't come across like we care, it comes across like we're judging. I mean, and there are black people who are trying to lift up their communities in the inner cities. We don't hear about them because "if it bleeds, it leads."
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:

Maybe that has worked in the UK. Making things illegal just doesn't seem to work too well in the US. The illegal object just becomes a huge underground market, every time.
It worked in U.K, Australia, Canada, Germany, Sweden, France, Japan, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland etc

Then why make anything illegal? Why have laws at all? Murder is illegal but murder still happens. It wouldn't stop gun violence but it would take a massive chunk out of it and you wouldn't be able to go to Walmart and buy a gun. If it goes underground, fine. Then the people owning them can be prosecuted under the law.
Kingpin, Sav C, Lee FW liked this
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:
It worked in U.K, Australia, Canada, Germany, Sweden, France, Japan, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland etc
Yes, European type countries (plus Japan). We are not like you, lol. In many ways. Not saying better, just different.
Murder is illegal but murder still happens.
Well there are many different reasons for murder. One solution won't fit all.
If it goes underground, fine. Then the people owning them can be prosecuted under the law.
But that kind of thing isn't dealt with quickly. Prohibition created a huge criminal mob enterprise that wasn't easily prosecuted. See the thing is, our legal system is set up to keep people out of jail. Which means it is very hard to keep people arrested, and to get convictions.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:
Yes, European type countries (plus Japan). We are not like you, lol. In many ways. Not saying better, just different.
If it goes underground, fine. Then the people owning them can be prosecuted under the law.
But that kind of thing isn't dealt with quickly. Prohibition created a huge criminal mob enterprise that wasn't easily prosecuted. See the thing is, our legal system is set up to keep people out of jail. Which means it is very hard to get convictions.
Right. So why bother? Also, That's a pretty facile analogy. Prohibition took a consumable substance off the market. Yes it created a huge criminal enterprise, but it was also created for political rather than safety reasons. How do you explain Heroin? Meth? Cocaine? Should those be legal because it's difficult to get convictions?

What I'm hearing here is "meh. It's just too hard and too complex"

Also, hate to break it to you but in today's Global society, America is just like everyone else. The one thing different in the equation? You have access to guns and have more gun violence than anywhere in the world. China has over a billion people and they have significantly less gun violence.

We are all pretty much the same. Sure there are minor variations in culture, but Canada is pretty much America Jr. We all breathe the same air, ultimately came from the same place. Most of us believe in Good Vs Evil. We watch the same movies, TV shows. Listen to the same music.
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote: Prohibition took a consumable substance off the market. Yes it created a huge criminal enterprise, but it was also created for political rather than safety reasons.
Well it was both. Some groups had political motivations. But the Women's Temperance movement did genuinely care about families and what alcohol was doing to them.
How do you explain Heroin? Meth? Cocaine?
The war on drugs has been a miserable failure in this country. It's not that we haven't tried.
Also, hate to break it to you but in today's Global society, America is just like everyone else.
Obviously not when you guys are still so perplexed by how we do things.
China has over a billion people and they have significantly less gun violence.
China is also one of the worst violators of human rights on the planet.
Canada is pretty much America Jr.
Thank you, Homer Simpson, hehe, but they certainly don't see themselves that way.
Most of us believe in Good Vs Evil.
Obviously, but this isn't a fairy tale, it is complicated.
We watch the same movies, TV shows. Listen to the same music.
Absolutely, but we bring different mentalities to them. I mean diversity includes different life experiences.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on August 16th, 2017, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]