Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By philmorgan81
timeware wrote: April 1st, 2018, 2:32 am Killing Egon is just about as bad as having Streep play Princess Leia in the next Starwars film.

Yeah I wouldn't want them to kill Egon off if they made another film set in the world of the original film. I am not sure what they would do, but I would welcome a creative way to have him be absent, but have an implication that he is still around.

A recent film from Sony that managed to pull this off with a bit of class was Jumanji Welcome To the Jungle. I really wasn't looking forward to a Jumanji Sequel without Robin Williams, but they managed to pull it off. They acknowledge the events of the previous films and even reference Allen Parrish.

If another Ghostbusters film gets made I wouldn't mind if they did something like that. :):):)
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
You know, I feel continuity is overrated. For me a movie in a franchise does not have to have the same characters just because previous installments used them. Most stories are not written for characters to have multiple arcs, and it shows on sequels, where certain people have less to do than others or suddenly act different. (Janine in GB2 is an example, but overall the original GB were such blank states this does not apply to them) Not saying it cannot work, but fresher characters can help fit the story the writer wants to tell, as long as the spirit of the previous installments are considered.
By timeware
My issue with Streep (aside from the fact I have never liked her) is I feel replacing Fisher at this point would be more of an insult to the actress. They can work around it. I would honestly prefer if they brought Fisher back as a force ghost in the upcoming movie with better CGI then her creepy face in Rogue One. I would love to see them go into why Jedi become force ghosts in the next movie.
deadderek liked this
By One time
I would have loved a Nolan type Dark Night sequel and reboot combo. Like the Max Landis script, but not as messy.

A "gritty" / "darker" version to contrast the comedy even more and make it feel even funnier when it happens.
(The deeper a trough the higher the peak that follows.)

Like the events of '84, '89 and '91 happened but are forgotten by the public. Witnesses don't remember it well because it was so strange, they think their memory is playing tricks. People hearing about it don't believe it (like the moon landing deniers today.)

Spectral sightings ended. Older people's only (faint) recollection is that the sightings were probably made up by the GB's back then. But no one is sure. There are debaters on both sides.

The GB's split up and disappeared long ago.

Egon died, finally killing himself in a most whacked out interplanar dimensional experiment ever at the Centre for Advanced Theoretical Research. Witnesses say it was an accident, his notes say it was a deliberate part of the experiment.

Venkman became full charlatan, earning money organising poker championships and helping people cheat for a cut of their earnings and making up and selling fake conspiracy theories (books/tv shows) while having trouble keeping his fake conspiracy books from contradicting each other.

Winston lives in the ghetto and (through his GB experience) has become literally completely fearless of any situation (to a comedic level).

Ray (the last believer) has become an eccentric recluse and lives somewhere in the boonies.

The new team consists of maybe Oscar and/or a progeny of Egon. Then weird things start to happen and they, because of their past experiences, get involved.

Suddenly a noise is heard coming from a drawer in Egon's old study at night. The new leads keep trying to find the source of the sound in the house. They search the whole house. Then they open the final drawer, and there is a glowing PKE, wings fully extended beeping like crazy. They have no idea what this device is. They find the proton packs in an old warehouse. They go through Egon's notes trying to piece it all together. Try to make sense of what the dad (Egon) did, as the mother would never talk about it.

Then in Egon's notes they find old contact info for Ray. They have no idea who this Ray Stantz person is but try to find this eccentric recluse outside the city who can maybe help. They stumble upon Winston, etc. who saves them from something in the ghettos on the way out of town.

They finally find Ray (like Daisy Ridley found Luke Skywalker at the end of TFA). Ray, slowly remembering the past, what happened, and who he really was/is, reluctantly agrees to help them. Then Winston does too. So while the focus is on the new team, the old team is on the periphery.

Contrasting the methods and mannerisms of guys from the 80's with the current generation would be funny. Then when you least expect it, but they need it the most, Venkman shows up to help.

I read a whole bunch of suggestions for what people wanted to see in ATC in different forums, and this fruit salad of all those ideas is what I would have liked the best.
Last edited by One time on April 3rd, 2018, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: April 1st, 2018, 2:32 amas bad as having Streep play Princess Leia in the next Starwars film.
I honestly don't get the hate. Streep's a respected, award-winning actress, and might be able to do a good job at portraying Leia to finish off her story arc... It'd be a far less grating recasting than what happened with Darth Vader's force ghost and Hayden Christensen.
By timeware
She's a decent actress sure. (And i'm not trying to start a debate. Just stating why I don't like Streep.)

I just don't care to be lectured by celebrities on how I should have voted or having the DNC talking points preached to me whenever they feel the need to spout off. They are of course entitled to their opinion.

She could work as a voice over, I just don't see the reason to replace Fisher with a new actor at this point. They may also have scenes with Fisher already filmed for later use.
By Kingpin
It's not like the "talking points" are going to come up at all in the next movie, or any Star Wars movies, so there's nothing to worry about.
timeware wrote:I just don't see the reason to replace Fisher with a new actor at this point
The fact Carrie Fisher passed away is actually a pretty good reason for recasting the role.

In the end, they might choose to revise the plot arc, and either cut down what was originally planned, feature a CG version of Carrie with a soundalike (my lease preferred choice) but if it means we could have Princess Leia's story continue to completion, I'm happy to see an actress who could pull of the roll with a similar degree of approach take it on.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
By timeware
I suppose there's a certain advantage to having Streep cast as Leia. Starwars might finally win an Oscar just having her show up. I think A new hope won six so it's long over due.

The disadvantage I see is Streep using Starwars in a #resist campaign. I don't want to see a repeat of the Uber Feminists ruin what could have been a good movie.
By timeware
Not in fear at all, it's just predictable. Streep, Carrey, Feig are all part of the same collective. It's not uncommon for them to latch onto a popular controversy to further their careers.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 7:54 am Not in fear at all, it's just predictable. Streep, Carrey, Feig are all part of the same collective. It's not uncommon for them to latch onto a popular controversy to further their careers.

Or they are just people with opinions? You know..like most people. I don't think any of the people you named need a controversy to help their careers. I think they are doing just fine.

How can anyone dislike Maryl Streep? She's one of the greatest actors in history. Who cares what her politics are? Her art is seperate from that.

And yeah, go ahead and put all these people in a box as a "collective". Because they disagree with you and have opinions. Right.

Hear that? That's the sound of my eyes rolling.
Alphagaia, Sav C, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By timeware
Or they are just people with opinions? You know..like most people. I don't think any of the people you named need a controversy to help their careers. I think they are doing just fine.

How can anyone dislike Maryl Streep? She's one of the greatest actors in history. Who cares what her politics are? Her art is seperate from that.

And yeah, go ahead and put all these people in a box as a "collective". Because they disagree with you and have opinions. Right.

I dislike Maryl Streep. Hear that Richardless, i'm rolling my eyes in the opposite direction you rolled yours. I can't just not like a celebrity, and ask for a fandom to not be turned into a political cause?

This is probably not going to happen but again it's predictable, and if you look at their twitter pages they copy off of one another and repost DNC talking points. That is why I used the term collective.

I'm not dogging people for their opinions i'm just tired of being preached at by celebrities. I just want to have a movie that's not tainted by freaking politics. All i'm asking for.

So before you and I get into a personal grudge match i'm not labeling anyone on this board as part of a collective. Just the celeb's. And I already said Streep was entitled to her opinion.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 4:06 pm

I dislike Maryl Streep. Hear that Richardless, i'm rolling my eyes in the opposite direction you rolled yours. I can't just not like a celebrity, and ask for a fandom to not be turned into a political cause?

This is probably not going to happen but again it's predictable, and if you look at their twitter pages they copy off of one another and repost DNC talking points. That is why I used the term collective.

I'm not dogging people for their opinions i'm just tired of being preached at by celebrities. I just want to have a movie that's not tainted by freaking politics. All i'm asking for.

So before you and I get into a personal grudge match i'm not labeling anyone on this board as part of a collective. Just the celeb's. And I already said Streep was entitled to her opinion.
No. Frankly, no. You can't dislike Streep. If I was a mod, not only would disliking Meryl Streep be a bannable offense, it would be ...umm..an extremely bannable offense!

But seriously though, how can anyone dislike her? Devil Wears Prada? Deer Hunter? Sophie's Choice? Have you even seen a Meryl Streep movie? Cause that girl can act.

I think you should learn to seperate the artist from the art. I don't care for Scientology, Infact I loath it, but I'll be in line opening weekend to see the new Mission Impossible movie.

If you don't want to be "preached" at by actors then don't watch the Oscars. Or don't follow them on Twitter. Just watch the movies. End of story.

Did you ever think they talk about democrat issues because they are democrats themselves? This garbage about repeating DNC talking points is just bias non sense. Stop watching Fox News and Sean Hannity because you are just repeating GOP talking points(the door swings both ways-GB reference. Oh yeah!).

But you don't seriously think they are doing this for their careers right? I don't even see how that could make sense.
Sav C, Kingpin, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
By timeware
I get your jest Richardless. I have seen Streep's films just not those you listed. Yes I can not like her, and no I do not care for her.

We are in very much agreement on scientology. I think it's a bull shit religion and I am thankful to Gene for not tainting Star Trek with something familiar. I still watch Tom Cruise films, the last samurai is on my top ten movie list.

It's not so easy to turn off award shows like the Oscars when you have constant pop up adds, every news station covering Streep and Oprah every ten minutes on the hour to fill time, and the local stations. It's also kind of difficult to get away from it when it's the first thing played on radio stations when you get into your car.

I'm aware of Democrat issues. I'm aware of Republican issues and I am not a Republican. Although I am conservative I like to keep myself knowledgeable of all sides from reputable sources. I do not take my cues from Fox, or Hannity. (Nice jab by the way.)

I learned about talking points when I did my research trying to link Paul to the feminists. His twitter page is almost a carbon copy of Jim Carrey's they both also include pretty little paintings.

It can't be a coincidence when both Republican and Democrat celebrities sound the same on whatever issues they want to promote. Someone's "Educating" them. I don't think talking points are that far fetched. So yes both sides have a collective.
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 4:06 pm I'm not dogging people for their opinions i'm just tired of being preached at by celebrities. I just want to have a movie that's not tainted by freaking politics. All i'm asking for.
I'm tired of getting preached at by you while you hijack another thread where you point fingers at politics in a very one-sided, almost tinfoil hat kind of way.
By Kingpin
Here here.

Normally I would make a fresh suggestion related to the topic to get it back on track, but it's been so long since I last re-watched Answer the Call that I need to refresh myself as to other things I could think of to improve the film for me.
By timeware
Alphagaia wrote: April 4th, 2018, 11:47 pm
timeware wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 4:06 pm I'm not dogging people for their opinions i'm just tired of being preached at by celebrities. I just want to have a movie that's not tainted by freaking politics. All i'm asking for.
I'm tired of getting preached at by you while you hijack another thread where you point fingers at politics in a very one-sided, almost tinfoil hat kind of way.
All I said was I didn't like Streep. People freaked and I felt the need to defend myself. It's not tin foil when celebrities try latch onto popular fandom to promote stuff. I go after the other side as well just not as often.
By timeware
Supergirl, the flash, legends, have been hijacked by a one sided point of view so you can see why i'm getting nervous about Streep being in Starwars.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: April 5th, 2018, 8:24 am Supergirl, the flash, legends, have been hijacked by a one sided point of view so you can see why i'm getting nervous about Streep being in Starwars.
You're getting nervous and your pants tied up in a bunch over nothing.

At this point we don't even know if Streep will actually be hired to portray Leia, and even if she does, so what? There are plenty of actors and actresses out there who've made remarks I've found repugnant, or even outright offensive (including and not limited to sexist, racist, transphobic and homophobic)... And unless it's a really awful and indefensible remark, it usually doesn't alter my outlook of a film or show they might happen to appear in. I'll still continue to watch films that featured Kevin Spacey, even though I think he's a deplorable bastard following the revelations from his private life.

Star Wars will easily survive having Meryl Streep portray Princess Leia, and presumably saying something at an event or award show that you disagree with.
If you're so sensitive that you "fear for the franchise being tarnished" by her (and on a side note, that line of thinking is as ridiculous now as it was back in 2016 when people were using it against Answer The Call), then maybe you need to take a long look at your own sensitivity.

None of those actors stated their opinions within the properties they were starring in, so what's the bloody problem?
Sav C liked this
By timeware
Kingpin wrote:None of those actors stated their opinions within the properties they were starring in, so what's the bloody problem?
Other then the fact I can't like Streep? Honestly man I have never liked her even before she got politically active. I already said the casting probably wasn't going to happen. Hell I still watch Jim Carrey movies even though I think the dude's gone off his rocker.

Supergirl got into the political soup towards the end of the election. Episodes titled Resist, and Nevertheless, she persisted. The slight jab's, and including one sided points of views is why I stopped watching. I haven't watched the series since then so I cant tell you if that's gotten better or not.

I'm not playing games, this isn't tin foil hat. Both sides had turned ATC into a cause which hurt the franchise. We could be talking about a sequel if not for that whole mess.
Last edited by Kingpin on April 6th, 2018, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added quote code
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 5th, 2018, 4:25 pm
Kingpin wrote:None of those actors stated their opinions within the properties they were starring in, so what's the bloody problem?
Other then the fact I can't like Streep? Honestly man I have never liked her even before she got politically active. I already said the casting probably wasn't going to happen. Hell I still watch Jim Carrey movies even though I think the dude's gone off his rocker.

Supergirl got into the political soup towards the end of the election. Episodes titled Resist, and Nevertheless, she persisted. The slight jab's, and including one sided points of views is why I stopped watching. I haven't watched the series since then so I cant tell you if that's gotten better or not.

I'm not playing games, this isn't tin foil hat. Both sides had turned ATC into a cause which hurt the franchise. We could be talking about a sequel if not for that whole mess.
I don't even know what you are trying to say. That tv shows and movies shouldn't have a point of view? That they should include every point of view? What?!? Why are you so hung about about fictional beings having POVs that differ from yours? Are you the guy that watched "All in the Family" and rooted for Archie Bunker's politics?

Here's what you should care about: Was the story good? Was the acting good?

And you didn't like Streep before she got political? What? Why? You didn't like her face or something? Was it because she's such a terrible actor?
Sav C liked this
By timeware
I'm not saying tv shows can't have a point of view.

A little balance would be welcome every once in a while. It's not that I'm hung up on fictional characters having a POV that differs from mine. It's the balance. Politics don't have to be thrown into every thing. The liberal bias is just getting a tad amped up for my tastes.

There are actors, and actresses from both sides of the political spectrum I just don't care for. Quite honestly Streep is just another actress to me.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 7th, 2018, 11:28 am I'm not saying tv shows can't have a point of view.

A little balance would be welcome every once in a while. It's not that I'm hung up on fictional characters having a POV that differs from mine. It's the balance. Politics don't have to be thrown into every thing. The liberal bias is just getting a tad amped up for my tastes.

There are actors, and actresses from both sides of the political spectrum I just don't care for. Quite honestly Streep is just another actress to me.
Politics doesn't have to be thrown into everything? They aren't. Go see the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. Totally politic free. Go see Peter Rabbit, totally politics free.

The best movies have a POV. Have you seen the movie "Network"? It's great. I think you'd dig it. I don't agree with everything the characters say, but I love the movie.

Look at Roseanne. She's pro trump and I've watch the revival. It's alright

"Patton"? Great film. Don't agree with everything Patton says or does, but it's a terrific performance and a good movie.

"JFK" JFK is pure conspiracy theory Mumbo jumbo with little basis in reality, but it's a damn entertaining film. Heck, Oliver Stone annoys the hell out of me and he's a nut, but he's a damn fine filmmaker(or use to be).

See my point?

There is no liberal bias. There is a liberal POV, sure. But liberal bias? I'm serious, do you get these talking point from Fox News or something? Even if there was a liberal bias, so what? Liberal means liberty and Liberty means freedom. Are you against freedom? What's wrong with liberal POV?

Also, you realize the original two GB films have politics, right?

I don't mean to harp on this Meryl Streep thing but when I see a loose thread, I gots tuh pull. So what Streep films have you seen? Sophie's Choice & Deer Hunter are considered some of the best acting ever done on celluloid. You haven't seen them. What exactly don't you like about her? Cause it sounds like you don't even know and are judging based on her opinions.

Look, movies, TV and acting are an art. Art has a history of liberal, free thinking. Always has, always will have. It's not new. The Sean Hannitys and Laura Ingrahams and Donald Trumps of this world will always be on the wrong side of history. Always. You can't stop progress. The old ways die and make way for the new, that is the way of the world. History will remember Obama as a great man hampered by racists and time, History will remember Donald Trump as a warning of how things can go so wrong, so fast. Trump didn't win the election, Hilary Clinton lost it. But we will always ask ourselves "Who ya guna call?"
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By timeware
I plan on seeing Chappaquiddick when it comes out on video. I don't have problem's with films being political if they are supposed to be. Ted is the reason why I can never join the Democratic party. Maybe if I was born before that incident. The democratic party was much more conservative then, there's just no way I can be a part of it now.

Chappaquiddick looks like at least from the previews it presents both sides of what happened and doesn't portray Ted as some kind of hero.

I enjoy historic films when they are portrayed accurately and have decent production.

The last Streep film I saw was Ant Bully due to being a free inflight movie. I will admit it's been quite some time since I have seen a Streep film. I just don't see her being any more talented then Leslie Jones, Lucy Lawless or Angelina Jolie. The other film being A.I. but it's been years since iv'e seen that.

A little politics in films is fine. It's when one side dominates the other without allowing debate I don't care for or companies throwing adult issues into kids films that I have a major issue with.

Your last paragraph sounds like it was copied from PBS talking points. I think histories going to remember both Trump and Obama in different lights if they are both found guilty of Russian collusion. Both of our choices were shit and I've said this before.

As for there not being any liberal bias do you watch the major news networks? There's enough anti Trump, liberal bias to fill a subway tunnel with pink slime!
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: April 8th, 2018, 12:39 pmIt's when one side dominates the other without allowing debate I don't care for or companies throwing adult issues into kids films that I have a major issue with.
While there are some things that really are only suitable for conversation when those kids are adults, there is also a tendency... Frankly a culture of branding some topics "adult issues" when maybe they shouldn't. There are some things that some adults refuse to talk to children about because the adults get squeamish over them.

Some things do and can benefit from being featured in films or programs aimed for younger viewers, one benefit that came from from that is being able to help normalise it for the children in question.

Maybe if a given child is shown that they thing they've felt/realised about themself is normal, and there are people like them, it might help them to be better adjusted... And not living in fear.

There's a few things the above can refer to, but I'll leave it pretty open to interpretation.

timeware wrote: April 8th, 2018, 12:39 pmif they are both found guilty of Russian collusion. Both of our choices were shit and I've said this before.
It's not even remotely realistic to suggest either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton could be found guilty of colluding with the Russians. Their hands probably aren't completely clean, but with the way things are going (and the piss-poor job he's been doing at not making himself look guilty), their hands are sparkling compared to Donald Trump.
timeware wrote: April 8th, 2018, 12:39 pmAs for there not being any liberal bias do you watch the major news networks?
And there are news networks that show plenty of conservative biases.

And let's not forget this video which has been recently doing the rounds:

Sav C liked this

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]