By mburkit
Okay, so I don't post in here very often but I spent a good while searching for this answer in the forums with no real answer. I have seen people dye khaki and black flight suits to the charcoal color but no one has tried to go from navy to the charcoal or at least they didn't post about it.

So my question is: how do you think is the best way to get there? Color remover then some grey dye? Bleach then black dye?

What do you guys think.
By Spooky
I would personally use 2 packets of color remover in very hot water (near boiling) and let it soak till the water begins to cool down (so about an hour). Rinse out real well and dry

Then tint the suit with black dye (maybe an equal part of denim would improve the look) with about 1/2 a cup of the liquid dye.
By Austin
I used four boxes of color remover, a little bit of bleach, hit with some black, again with royal blue and just a little bit of kelly green.

(Me in the very front of the photo)

It came out pretty good, but could stand to be a little more blue. It still has a hint of brown in it.
By mburkit
Austin wrote:I used four boxes of color remover, a little bit of bleach, hit with some black, again with royal blue and just a little bit of kelly green.
Did you dye it in the black/royal blue/kelly green all at the same time? Or did you do separate baths? I might do this as well. If its not too much trouble, maybe post your the process you did? Thanks Austin!
By Krenzy
Can you guys post pictures of your navy tru-specs? I have two: One is a deep blue, I'd call it navy, and the other I just bought from a surplus store looks like it doesn't need any dying; it has the gray/blue-eyefuck thing going on already.
By mburkit
Krenzy wrote:Can you guys post pictures of your navy tru-specs? I have two: One is a deep blue, I'd call it navy, and the other I just bought from a surplus store looks like it doesn't need any dying; it has the gray/blue-eyefuck thing going on already.
I just ordered mine yesterday so hopefully I'll have it within the week and I'll post pictures of it before I do anything to it.
By Austin
1. Wash suit
2. Lighten with color remover
3. Wash
4. Lighten again with a cap full of bleach
5. Wash
6. Dye with black
7. Wash
8. Dye with royal blue
9. Wash
10. Dye with a small amount of kelly green

Nothing much else to it.
denvergbfan liked this
By Austin
Actually, it was way worse before. I asked Jairus what he recommended to get the brown tint out and he said I could try adding a little green. It helped it quite a bit.
By Hasford1978
Mark be sure to post some pictures of your finished Ghostbusters 2 suit, be interesting to see how good it turns out because may dye mine maybe, im pleased with it at the moment without it being undyed thats why im in no rush to try to change it
By Hasford1978
Yeah no worries Mark no rush from me mate, just a quick question though i know you have already told me but have since forgotten did you dye your GB1 nomex or keep it as it was?? Just in some lights my nomex looks darker than it should be i know its all in the fabric & what the suits are made of & i know there has been many a disussion about this topic here
By shodanmark
No worries Rich! My nomex is not dyed. They can't be dyed properly because of the synthetic material. The GBUK Elite and Nick-a-tron dyed theirs but it only makes it a little darker and in daylight you can't tell the difference.
By mburkit
Okay, I got my navy flight suit in the mail today. Picture time!

Flash:

I took a picture with no flash, but the lights in my room are not sufficient to get a good picture.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try to dye it the same way Austin did his. Might try on Sunday, if I have the time.
By mburkit
Well, I have started the process that Austin posted. I've used the 4 packs of color remover and my flight suit is in the wash. I'm going to do the bleach cycle then wash it once more before bed. Tomorrow, I shall start the dying.
By mburkit
shodanmark wrote:Before I start... If you're using a washing machine to do this, what's the effect of using all these dyes? I dont want to ruin the inside of my machine.
I personally am heating the water on my stove and using the utility sink we have in the back to do all this stuff but I think if you use your washer, you should run the washer with detergent in it (and no clothing) after you dye something in it to clean it out. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

As for where I am so far, I have used the color remover and bleached my navy flight suit so far. I'm waiting for my water to heat up to do the black dye.

Here's a picture of what it looks like after the bleach. Sorry for the crappy picture but my camera's battery is dead so I used my phone.

You can see what color it used to be by looking at the velcro. I'll be back when I have more done!
PssdffJay liked this
By mburkit
kind2311 wrote:Look at that beautiful Khaki suit! DOES NOT GRAY

also . . .

HATS
Oh, the suit was definitely cardboard brown. My step dad also loves hats!

A fun little factoid. Sometime between last night when I used the color remover on the suit and today when I was using the black dye, our back sink sprung a leak! It was tons of fun moving all our crap away from it, trying to stop the leak and continue to agitate the suit all at once. Now my floor is purple and I need to find a new sink to do this in . . .

The saga continues!
By mburkit
Okay, all done dying my navy flight suit. First off, how I did it, which is very similar to how Austin did it:

1. Wash
2. 4 packs of Color Remover for 30 minutes
3. Wash
4. Wash again with a cup of bleach
5. Wash
6. Dye with half bottle of liquid black dye for 45 minutes
7. Wash
8. Dye with 2/3 pack of Royal Blue mixed with 1/3 pack of Kelly Green for 30 minutes
9. Wash/dry

Now for pictures!

Flash:

No flash (and a little out of focus but you can still see the color):

I think it turned out well!
Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]