By XxEctOxX
hi everyone. ive been around not focusing on my room and on to other things..... For the past few months i have been thinking of what i could do/change/add to the Gb standard without going over board, and yet, standing apart from the crowd. Someone at dragon con (i forgot who) said that my set-up had a bunch of easter eggs, which was funny cause i was sorta going that route. i wanted to add alot of detail to my work as you you will understand as this thread goes on.

ELBOW PADS- i got a good review over on the facebook with these. i just didnt understand why i havent found anyone who has tried to do the same. its simple, effective, and i guess "more accurate" to what was used in the film. All i did was turned them inside out and pinched the pad and attached two elastic bands to hold its position and presto! then to add my touch i used leather for the square on the inside of the arm, then stiched the gb logo and my screen name on the leather fabric with a hint of gray so all the detail isnt lost.

this is a shot of it next to my old elbow pad which was a defender if im not mistaken.
now this is a shot after dragon con and a bunch of wear. now this was planned but rushed so the final stamp of approval is not on it.

BOOTS- nothing special here just a pair that i really liked and thought i should treat myself since i never bought boots for any gb gear in the first place.

STRAPS- here i wanted to do the same and add my own touch without going over board.

i used this back strap of this army issued LC-2 kidney pad.
i used this to be the middle
and this is where you rest your kidney. I saw this and was really digging the pattern and thought this would be something that would definitely fit.
what was done here is i picked up a pair of after market OD and black straps and took them apart and mixed them up.
i added two straps to hold an iphone, theres this really cool app for the iphone that i found last year that i always said would look cool if mounted like so.
next we have the belt buckle. one thing i think the cartoon did right. i always felt that the buckle used in the movie was too flimsy and too easy to break and just over all weak looking. i thought, you know, i got this nuclear thing on my back, it should be secured better. so i went with this. easy in, easy out.
Another fine detail most likely missed at dragon con cause no one's eyes were on my crotch was this easter egg... i took a poll on facebook of a few phrases and this one got the most votes. i love it. HEAT 'EM UP!
all together now

THE SUIT- i started back in 03' with an rgb egon suit and made others since then but when i got to the movie platform i just went with the norm last year. but for this build i wanted something different. i popped open my ghostbusters game for xbox and played multiplayer over again and paid close attention to each color suit as you ranked up. this is the color i liked the most at first. (i will make another one for halloween) so i ordered a navy blue tru-spec and sat there infront of my tv and had izzy help me tape off all the areas where the colors were different. i wish i would have took a picture of suit with all the tape on it but i didnt.... it looked really funny. To me, honestly, the uniform was the coolest part of this whole build. I LOVED HOW THE SUIT CAME OUT. ... sorry for the caps, but it was so refreshing to have something new and different. and when it was done right and no detail left off it was on the money. the colors dont look like they match but camera was acting funny. but its the same colors.
this is the only picture i had to show the color pattern from the back part of the shoulder to under the arm

One extra thing i wanted to show you guys.. i didnt want to blow money like i did last year at the bar. so i got an old camelpak from my brother and picked up an olive drab and black gb logo patch off ebay and slapped it on and bam! this thing fit fine while i was wearing my pack. and it kept my back nice and cold while in those sticky parties.

Enjoy and please let me know what you think
Last edited by XxEctOxX on September 13th, 2013, 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
DmsdyMachn, EnderWeggen liked this
By Gareee
I meant to ask you where your uniform design came from. I don't think I saw anything like that in the ps3 version at all.
By mburkit
XxEctOxX, I told you this at Dragon Con too: I'm really happy with how this all pulled together for you. With all the teaser pictures on facebook and the ones you text me, It was still freaking awesome to see you strollin' up to the parade that Saturday morning with all this hard work strapped to your back. Nice job man, you always impress me to no end.
By Gareee
It was unique stuff like this that I always look for at events.. not the normal stuff, but the things that stand out. I never got to see the ghosthead in the plastic egon wig either, and really wish I had, because I was looking foreward to seeing it in person as well.
By Dan AKA
This really came out amazing, especially the custom sound system. I really loved your uniform and pack design. Kudos again to ya man, can't wait to see what you come up with next!
By GAVAL
Man, Ecto, I was impressed at the con, but now that I see even more detail I'm blown away even more. I love all the unique things you did. Your brand of fandom is, to me, the most precious to the GB community. Definately Easter Eggy!

BTW, Gareee, that Egon hair wasn't plastic, twas a wig custom made of bleach blonde hair!

G
By Gareee
GAVAL wrote:BTW, Gareee, that Egon hair wasn't plastic, twas a wig custom made of bleach blonde hair!

G
Well, I STILL didn't see it.. ;)

This is the kinda thing I like about the GB community. Yeah there are uber detail sticklers for film accuracy, but there is also a LOT of ground covered by alternative builds, enhancements and the like.

I was lucky enough to be able to spend quite a bit of time ogling xxxectoxxx's pack for a while, and even get a few nits I picked answered.

For instance, it bugged me that his cyclotron reflectors were covered by clear, so when they were not lit, they looked silver instead of red.

That didn't look "right" to my eyes.. UNTIL he showed off the feature where the colors could be changed! THATS why they were not tinted, and that was a great "surprise" feature I didn't expect!

Scary thing is, there's method to his madness!
By BSjohnson
Gareee wrote:For instance, it bugged me that his cyclotron reflectors were covered by clear, so when they were not lit, they looked silver instead of red.

That didn't look "right" to my eyes.. UNTIL he showed off the feature where the colors could be changed! THATS why they were not tinted, and that was a great "surprise" feature I didn't expect!
That reminds me ... did you ever get the switch fixed? You said you were having issues.

Also, great work on the uniform and the pack. I've seen lots of pictures from D*Con and your outfit turned out really fantastic. I had no idea where you got the idea for the custom colors for the uniform. Now it makes perfect sense. :D
By XxEctOxX
here is a picture of the bands on the inside if anyone was wondering what it looked like.

and to answer your question JayM here is what i started with
some large parts like the collar and shoulders were replaced with the orange(the color i used is called sweet potato) other small parts were just doubled up with the new fabric. and yes i used the pictures and the taped off areas as a stencil. sorry about how the colors look in this picture the flash gave it a different effect.

hey Gavel i see your OD suit in your picture profile, and i remember what you were telling me about it. good stuff!

and thank you Garree for the feedback it was really nice getting a chance to spend some time with you this year. i felt so bad when i heard you were in the hospital the morning of the parade. so it meant that much more when you came threw afterwards. always a pleasure!!

Dan,matt,pat thank you as well i am going to be posting the pictures of the pack here since i didnt take that many photos when putting it together. i think everyone knows what a shell looks like and how to sand it and what not. but all those little extra details that you guys and a handful of other people who were nice enough to help me threw this process wont go unnoticed and will be pointed out. thank you, you really made this build special.
By Foom Man
I love the uniform. At first I thought it was in reference to an RGB toy. Within a minute I realized you were going for the video game skins.

Well played, XX, well played.
By thunderstruck507
stuff looks neat but I'm not following...doesn't seem like you could simply turn the armpads inside out, is that really all you did?

the kidney strap looks neat, are you saying you found it or is the pattern custom sewn in?
By mburkit
thunderstruck507 wrote:stuff looks neat but I'm not following...doesn't seem like you could simply turn the armpads inside out, is that really all you did?

the kidney strap looks neat, are you saying you found it or is the pattern custom sewn in?
For the elbow pads, he turned them inside out, sewed those elastic bands on to pinch the bubble, then turned it right side out. The elbow pads worn in the first movie were not as round as the ones you can purchase nowadays. XxEctOxX wanted the pads to look more like the movie used ones.

As for the kidney pad, I think he found that cushion and sewed it onto the milspec kidney pad. I wore the pack for a few minutes down in Atlanta and I must say, its heavy but the padding he has is comfortable.
By CPU64
Sweet! Embroidery equipment.
That's badass! I get people asking for car logos on their seat covers and I have to send them to a different shop for that. It would be great to do that in house.
Great job on all the stitch work
By XxEctOxX
Fritz sorry if it might seem that way but i had no idea you had something similar to this. sue the game!!! they made m do it!
this is the one i am making next
its the first color combo when playing multiplayer
my goal is to have them all made sooner or later.
By XxEctOxX
Ok so now on to the pack eh?
PLEASE READ

Before i go any further regarding anything involving my pack build, i want to make it a point to say that i could not have gotten anything done with out the help from people on the site. this pack is a tribute to their research and hard work. i do not take credit for anything here cause 99% of the parts here have been purchased from someone on this site. I want to thank every single person who helped me and thank you very much for being so patient with me, cause i know i can be a little annoying at times. i just want things to be perfect, I hope you like the overall look to the things i did from the suit to the pack. As far as the way i went about putting it together, i didnt want to reinvent the wheel i just wanted to put my two cents in. this was a little rushed at the end cause it had to get done for dragon con so there are still some parts missing and the finishing touches need to be added.

most of the people on the site use the housing from the flashlights as the reflector for the cyclotron but i wanted to have a different affect. i bought these lights. this model does not have the front glass. i used a dremel and gutted out the rest.
this is what i was left with
four in the box
ok now here i was going to use the red lens i got from Crix but since i wanted to go with lighting up this thing with other colors i had to use clear lens. i didn't want anyone to see it was plain leds lighting it up and i wanted something a little different and more detailed so i remembered that in the angle head army flashlights you can find these inside
put both of them together and its as if they were meant for each other!!
lets see some color! BSJOHNSON thank you. credit to him for making this happen!
some installed. i did the same as most people. i attached it with plumbers putty which is gold!
the sound was loud and awesome last year in my RGB pack, so i went out of the way and located a pair of the same ones i used for last year's build and put it inside this pack. and boy let me tell you these things can really fill up a room. My girlfriend had to keep turning me around cause i couldn't hear anyone asking to stop and take a picture. they are great!
attached to the alice frame
sorry about the glare but this is the only picture i had with the mesh looking thing i used to cover it. its what people use for gutters. i like the way they look. and with my modified kidney pad you cant see them.
bumper.. nothing really going on here just sanding and filling like the rest of the pack.
Note- resin parts on the pack are exorays and the shell is zombierepellent
now some aluminum ! Jason was really the one who got me going with this whole tribute thing. At first i just wanted to make a GB2 pack and then i got his aluminum gun track in the mail...... my lord, i was just stunned! his work is really jaw dropping. When i got that part, i said to myself that there is no way i can paint this!, i cant cover this up!, and thats how this tribute thing started... so thanks jason for making some really freaking awesome stuff!!!
I want to give a big shout out to chris AKA noslliT he was one of those people who really helped all the way, and this is one of the things he did for me that really i mean really took a ton of weight off my shoulders. he took my gun body (throwingchicken's) and put it on his mill and went at it. he used his drill press made sure everything was square and threaded everything for me. he saved me so much time and this is something that i wouldn't have been able to do. thank you Chris.
some more of jason's awesome stuff!!!!
the only thing i really had to do when i got the gun body back was sand it down do a little filling and put the boss threads in with some putty which was a bit of a pain as you can see how thin that wall is on the mid left

everything after that was pretty straight forward. I did have a bunch of little hurtles cause i wanted to do it the right way so thats where KInd2311/DAN AKA/Mburkit/Austin stepped in. if you looked at my phone records for the past 2-3 months you wont believe how many times i called these guys. let alone the pm's. In the end guys i hope you realize why, you were fans of my work and at the same time i was a fan of yours. every one of you knew what you were talking about and i knew that i can trust your opinion and didn't have to second guess your direction. i will post some more pictures tomorrow!
By Ectoman_913
This suit is just badass! And making all the cylindrical parts metal was a stroke of genius, it gives the pack more depth and really makes other detail that tends to fade into the rest of the plain black color really pop! Great Job XX! Looking forward to loking at it more up close and personal! :)
By XxEctOxX
i did mention my next suit to be made but i never posted pictures of it, so here it goes.

im really getting addicted to these game suits. im going to make another one soon and will post pictures of that as well.
as for now the tribute pack was a little rushed for dragon con and is under some much needed changes so until then !

but i do have one picture that ive been meaning to post, which is of my "custom warning label that is under the crank knob. this is what i mean by tribute. this is a piece that i got engraved with all those people who helped me make this build possible. and i just wanted to showcase there talent. i cant thank you enough

for now i will be revisting my ecto cave in the next couple of weeks and that update will be something else so keep an eye out!
By Henners
Gareee wrote:I meant to ask you where your uniform design came from. I don't think I saw anything like that in the ps3 version at all.
it's from playing multiplayer, campaign they just wore their regular suits. but in multiplayer if you play enough, you rank up and earn new uniforms eventually.
By Gareee
Ah...., with so many other games demanding attention, we really have hardly even looked at the multiplayer aspect of the game yet. Currently we are Bayonetta and Darksider's bitches.. LOL!
By kind2311
Gareee wrote:Ah...., with so many other games demanding attention, we really have hardly even looked at the multiplayer aspect of the game yet.
and if youre playing it on your PC, you never will . . .because its not there.

once again, thanks atari for f****g us PC players over
By Gareee
We actually have the PC version, the PS3 version and the Wii version.

I think the graphics are the best on the PC version, but the we picked up the PS3 version for the next gen graphics on the big flat screen. Out of the three, I think the most fun we actually had though was on the wii, because of the controls.

I think this is actually the only game we have on this many formats.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]