i like how it looks mangina and all. are there buttons on the waist straps? the vintage avirex i have does.

is there a way you can post more pics of your uniform? i want vinny to get every possible look at it he can, because ive been hounding him what flightsuit i should buy, and i want it damn near close, and i know i love my vintage avirex.
No buttons on this one PC, just velcro. Do you want any specific close ups on this uniform in any particular areas?

I currently have 2 of these suits, a 38 and a 40. I wear a size 34 pant and end up swimming in both if I wear gym shorts underneath. If I wear jeans, the 38 fit's just fine. If a picture has patches, it's the 38, no patches and clean means it's the 40 that's been hanging in my closet.

I'm also thinking about selling my 40 in favor of getting a smaller one. If anyone is interested in having one with a tongue already attached, pm me.

Arm and Shoulder

The Legs

Front zippers (Cloth tongue made by cutting out the back of the fabric behind the knife pocket since for some reason it is double layered.)

Waist and Pocket without flash

Waist and Pocket w/flash

The chest pocket

Back of top

Underarm brass

Upper chest w/flash

Arm/wrist velcro

Waist Velcro

Back divots for movement

Hope these pics help. If anyone wants any shots in particular, just ask and I can take whatever you need.

they all have manginas.

i would be interested to know when the avirex was being phased out and when the nomex was being phased in. it would make sense the costume dept pull these off a rack at the surplus store since they would have been cheap at the time, and avirex ws getting their contract with the military during the 80s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avirex

did you get yours by jacket size? how long are the sleeves on your arms? my waist is a 28-30, with 32" inseam, how long are the legs?

its good to know they have velcro waist straps, im trying to nail exactly when the one i have may have been used. it has buttons on the waist straps. and since they were founded in 75, my hopes and dreams of it being a 50's design is out the window.
noslliT wrote:That's great thanks for taking the reigns on this perhaps an update to the uniforms section is in order at some point
The lack of punctuation and the fact I'm typing on a phone in hindsight this may have come across the wrong way. I am very grateful slimeguy took the time to post pictures of his suit.
noslliT wrote:@protoncharger: if your suit has buttons on the waist it sounds like you have a k-2b flightsuit most likely a reproduction if its made by avirex. That type of suit was popularly used in the 50s and 60s
this is what i have, i just took the pic from the flightsuit:

its really cool. i would say its fairly hot in it, if its made from the same material. its still really cool looking though. i use it for my pulp/diesel punk hero costumes, and thats roughly 40's-50's. its a sweet deal too, i got it for 5 bucks at good will.
noslliT wrote:
ProtonCharger wrote:im going to be very blunt.
these photos are not very helpful, and it would be nice for an opinion on how it fits compared to nomex.

really screwed the pooch with the camera phone.
To be blunt,Why don't you buy one and give me your take on it.
Fernando says it fits and hangs like a tru spec.
First posed pic is in halogen lighting, second is in flourescent lighting.
I don't know what else you want me to say. Just trying to do some good for the community.

ha ha ha ha ha hahhaahahaa in ur face PC. i like the suit. and the count just went to 100%
For guys like Vinny and VinC that were curious about larger sizes, Cockpit USA now carries 48 and 50 in the khaki color. Just a few weeks ago the 48 was only available in black and 50 wasn't an option. I placed an order for a 46 with them and Jacky was very friendly with correspondence and proper sizing. Just figured I'd throw this this out there.
Are these suits exclusive to Cockpit USA? Anyone knows another retailer that would carry them? Cockpit USA is REALLY hard to deal with, and it seems that you can't get a straight answer out of them (several sizes AREN'T available in khaki, despite being listed on their website)
Filandrius wrote:Are these suits exclusive to Cockpit USA? Anyone knows another retailer that would carry them? Cockpit USA is REALLY hard to deal with, and it seems that you can't get a straight answer out of them (several sizes AREN'T available in khaki, despite being listed on their website)
they're the only ones ive ever seen that carry it. they are a hassle if you're returning your suit. the guy i talked to sounded like he was trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner. it took an extra two weeks to get a new one out to me, on my dime, return shipping and shipping for a new one. so, badger them as much as you can for a sizing chart to figure out your size.

BUT, while they're difficult they seem to be a small company, and like i said, they're the only ones that carry that suit....that's worth every penny and hassle.
noslliT wrote:I believe they are exclusive to them Mike. I have a cockpit store by me and they are sold out of khaki. They told me they are more of a seasonal item.
Matches what I've heard. They're out of stock for most of the khaki sizes (including some that are listed that they never had) Apparently they're looking for a new international provider, and should have new khaki suits by October. In the meantime, they're trying to push the black suits. Sure! Why not? :roll:
AJ Quick wrote:According to Wikipedia, Avirex was a company that got sold. The guy who started the original Avirex then started Cockpit USA.

I think they are just one distributor of the Avirex stuff.
Except I can't find the listing for the Avirex suit anywhere else. I'm REALLY hoping that they're just as distributor, because these guys' business practices are really sloppy. Why are they listing colors and sizes that they can't even get before several months? And that's in addtion to the fact that they don't even bother replying to international emails, just cause. Sloppy, sloppy sloppy.
noslliT wrote:Avirex brand name was bought out by Marc Ecko. Everything else is the same except the product name
Except that Ecko doesn't make flight suits, as far as I know. :P
noslliT wrote:I believe they are exclusive to them Mike. I have a cockpit store by me and they are sold out of khaki. They told me they are more of a seasonal item.
How can they list a flight suit as seasonal? I think we're screwed, Mike.
i bought my flight suit a few months back and it's a khaki.

im serious, while it's a small company and totally annoying to deal with, it's a nice suit.
kind2311 wrote:wow what an interesting find. from what i can see, it has the correct pockets including the properly sized, placed, and angled chest pockets, not like a rothco at all.
this and badgering both vinny's for a month since this thread began to get a "yes, it looks accurate" is good enough for me to get one.

if i were in your shoes, and you are in the market for a flightsuit, but already have one, i would keep in contact with cockpit usa until they get what you want in. i wont need another flightsuit unless i balloon in size. i mean, you could easily get the same kind of runaround getting a nomex or truspec from an army surplus store online, except, there are other alternatives to getting those brands of flightsuit.

unfortunately, this isnt the case for an avirex. roll with the punches. thank me later.

ANOTHER option, is you could just hound ebay for an avirex for the size your looking for or whatever and get it there. they do pop up from time to time there. when i was looking for one, there were a ton on. now, not so much.
ProtonCharger wrote:if i were in your shoes, and you are in the market for a flightsuit, but already have one, i would keep in contact with cockpit usa until they get what you want in.
Mike, Steve and I are in this together, and we're thinking of taking the wait-and-see approach, but Cockpit already has our money and are trying to push the black suits on us. Based on our experiences with them so far, hopefully getting the money back won't be a hassle.
The order was placed, thinking that the khaki were available. After all, they're listed on the website and can be ordered.

But after the order was complete, we got an email telling us that the khaki weren't available after all. Hence the black suits.

We ARE putting pressure. But at this point I doubt that they'll find some extra khaki suits that were lying around somewhere. But, we fully understand that these suits are way more accurate than any Nomex or Tru-spec. That Vinny quote is the thing that finally convinced me to get one!

This sucks. :P
Guys, I'm about to buy my flightsuit but being that I am in central america and the size charts in here are different than in the states and those pilot guys only have measure charts in numbers instead os from S to XXL i'm kinda worried i'll eFF the size for mine when ordering.

My US size in T-Shirts is L for a snug fit and XL for loose. L ( I think) it's about 42 in those guys sizes... so I was kinda thinking on ordering a 44... you guys think that would be correct? or should I order a bigger one?

I'm 5'9" and weight 202 pounds.

thanks for the help dudes!
i'm about the same size and i fit into a 46l and am very comfy in a 48r.
here is a link to carter industries who makes nomex flightsuits, i assume the sizing should be very close if not the same, you only need a measuring tape. http://www.carterny.com/size.html
i would say to go a size bigger for comfort and to accomodate thicker clothing underneath (mind you in central america, you prob wouldnt have use for it lol) . it's hard to really say without trying it on. you may like how a 46 fits for example or you might like exta room from a 48. the size chart should give you an idea anyways, also if you e-mail cockpit usa they will send you a size form. give them the measurements and they will determine the size you need. how well the size they choose for you will fit i couldnt tell you. maybe someone else has experiance with them chooseing the size.
Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]