I'm thinking of buying one of these suits as well. I'm not sure of the sizes really, I can fit into a size S flightsuit from GBFans.net... but when I sent my measurements, they told me Size 36 was my way to go.

Not sure if I should trust them on the measurements so I figure I'd have a go at what you all think.

My waist is 34, chest 36... but I'm 5'3" and weigh about 130lbs...

Thoughts?
So I bought one of these! Fits very well. The sleeves are a little long, but nothing the old elbow pad tuck trick can't fix. Curse my shortness! Anyways, I do have one slight issue. The nametag velcro is sown in by the left shoulder, in the upper left area... and not at all near the area it should be in the films.

So either I got the wrong size... or...

It looks fairly simple to remove. Just clip the thread and be done with it. Anyone else have this issue with a cockpit?
SlimeGuy wrote:And if you're wondering, Mav is wearing the Black version of the Cockpit.
Hmm, that actually looks to be a decent color for the GB2 suits - its not BLACK, but a dark charcoal. At least, in that photo.
this is my size 36 avirex, wearing it completed for the first time last weekend.
im 5'10" 140 lbs, you can see it fits really well. i dont forsee needing another one for a very long time.
Great find! their showroom is @ 15 West 39th Street, 12th Floor New York, NY 10018...I am going to take a walk on my lunch break and pick one up!!
c05ta wrote:I need to drop some lbs and buy one of those bad boys!

Sent from my DROIDX using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
That's what im waiting for, too. Already dropped 30 lbs since I bought my current flightsuit. Don't want to buy another until I'm more "ready".
Well I just got back from their showroom.... what an amazing place.. The receptionist Whitney was very helpful and knew a lot about the company's product line...

Got me a size 44 suit.. My dress suits are 42 but fit kinda snug.. the 44 should do me justice and I can use that rothco as a wash rag now..

And btw ... I am guessing that these are on some final discount or sale.. because the original markup is different

(for obvious reasons)

Hi guys, sorry to bump this one up.

The avirex flightsuit, does it come with brass or metal zippers? It seems beyond the actual front zipper all Gibson & Barnes actually offer now is the plastic zippers which is a tad disapointing.

I dunno to maybe accept the inaccuracy of the zippers and go for an avirex
would it help to put in every photo i have of me wearing my flightsuit? i dont have close ups of zippers, at the very least it could give an idea of the fitting.

tell you what, i dumped them all in my profile.
Thanks for those photos and the info!

Unfortunately, it's made my decision harder, that suit seems great as accuracy, the colour looks good in various lighting sources plus brass zippers as standard.

My only concern and this may seem stupid is the material, it looks very thin and light and whilst reading through the thread here I've seen people state that it is lighter than the nomex which means it's colder.

That may be a great thing for Flordia, but over here in Ireland that might be an issue, I'd maybe have to wear a layer underneath it whereas with my previous suit all I wore were a pair of shorts and a black t-shirt. If needing layers I may have to go up a size and then that leads to extremely baggy which I want to avoid for fear of looking like a potato sack!

one option with the avirex I could do to keep myself warm is buy a black thermal base layer top and a pair of bottoms. They're skin tight which would require a standard fitting rather than having to accomodate for layers.

Regardless, thanks for the info. I'd rather have a tough decision to make than just jump into a decision I might regret!! Especially considering the price of the Gibson & Barnes
abaka wrote:one option with the avirex I could do to keep myself warm is buy a black thermal base layer top and a pair of bottoms. They're skin tight which would require a standard fitting rather than having to accomodate for layers.
I'm looking into getting an accurate flightsuit so I was really glad to find this thread. Question is...have any chicks bought these suits? Being that I'm curvier and bustier, this makes things interesting. I'm losing weight currently, but a tight flight suit on a chick thats not stick thin never looks right. Anyone have luck with these?
eloquentXI wrote:I'm looking into getting an accurate flightsuit so I was really glad to find this thread. Question is...have any chicks bought these suits? Being that I'm curvier and bustier, this makes things interesting. I'm losing weight currently, but a tight flight suit on a chick thats not stick thin never looks right. Anyone have luck with these?
sorry, i cant be any help.
eloquentXI wrote:I'm looking into getting an accurate flightsuit so I was really glad to find this thread. Question is...have any chicks bought these suits? Being that I'm curvier and bustier, this makes things interesting. I'm losing weight currently, but a tight flight suit on a chick thats not stick thin never looks right. Anyone have luck with these?
I'd imagine you'll get good results by measuring your chest at the widest point, subtracting 2" or so, and checking that against the size chart. The charts assume a male physique, with little variance from the chest down, and allow a few inches for comfort. Subtracting a few inches means the suit will be tighter in the bust area, but still with plenty of room in the midsection.

Once you get a suit that fits like that, you can take it to a seamstress or tailor and have it tailored to fit a female shape.

In modifying an old suit to fit my girlfriend, I found that it was best to fit it to the chesty initially, then I had to really take in the sides around the midsection to give the suit a more hourglass shape than the stock tube shape.
Jairus wrote:
I'd imagine you'll get good results by measuring your chest at the widest point, subtracting 2" or so, and checking that against the size chart. The charts assume a male physique, with little variance from the chest down, and allow a few inches for comfort. Subtracting a few inches means the suit will be tighter in the bust area, but still with plenty of room in the midsection.

Once you get a suit that fits like that, you can take it to a seamstress or tailor and have it tailored to fit a female shape.

In modifying an old suit to fit my girlfriend, I found that it was best to fit it to the chesty initially, then I had to really take in the sides around the midsection to give the suit a more hourglass shape than the stock tube shape.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I know the flightsuits don't tend to be all that flattering on girls with any type of curves, so I am planning on getting the flighsuit a little big and then having it tailored.
The us military didnt even have flightsuits for women until some female aviators put their minds to making it happen. Think i read that it consumed about 2 years and writing a 150 page report on why it should be done. Kinda sad really.... Ebay carries an assortment of flightsuits in the female sizes but 99% of them are sage green. My girlfriend is about 5' 7" and curvy as well and we have played hell finding her a flightsuit...but we did deduce that her size would be 44WL...that would fit her upper body and be a touch baggy in the lower. Search google for womens flighsuit size chart...we had to dig a little but found the chart. The ratio of female to male pilots though makes finding a nomex suit on surplus difficult. Or do what was said above and get a mens suit altered...around my neck of the woods a lot of places wont them due to how they are made.....thats a quote from 6 out of the 7 local alterations places near me. You can try the dickies khaki dress route too...my gf got one of those... And i can honestly say i dig it too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By eloquentXI
I'm planning on getting one of the dickies dresses too, to wear with fishnets, but I want a pretty decent suit too.

I'm a bit shorter than your girlfriend but I don't mind if it ends up being long, I'll be wearing knee high Doc Martins with it. :)

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]