By keoni
The Roach On Twelve wrote:
keoni wrote: the point of you quoting him and reposting my pic was?????
The reason I responded with the picture was because not everyone can access Facebook from work, and everyone doesn't have a facebook.

It is a courtesy you overlooked.
fair enough. just figured posting the "public link" the would work since I didnt want to resize and host the pic.
By belldandy4087
Just to throw my two cents in. Please don't scream at me. I personally feel that the traditional "looking" uniform looks best. Although that being said i still do have my Wisconsin patch on my left arm. I feel it identifies me with a group whom i feel comfortable with. On the subject of BDUs, We have to realize in this day in age that uniforms have changed in the military. The Ghostbusters whom mostly bought military surplus, may (if they actually existed) picked some of them up. Do i like the idea. not really. is it a possibility, i would say definitely. Do i like the look? Not really. If there was a two piece khaki colored one i would say go for it otherwise i would definitely recommend staying away from it.
belldandy4087 wrote: Do i like the idea. not really. is it a possibility, i would say definitely. Do i like the look? Not really. If there was a two piece khaki colored one i would say go for it otherwise i would definitely recommend staying away from it.
ProtonCharger wrote:
there is nothing positive about this picture.
By belldandy4087
ProtonCharger wrote:
there is nothing positive about this picture.
[/quote]

I say if they took off the hats maybe.....Otherwise i totally agree!, and why would they pose by what looks like a gravestone? NO TACT AT ALL.
By Fifthrider
...and the gravestone looks like two penises in bed with each other. I'm going to avoid further comment, only use this to support my position of "please stop making it your own, it's just doing things like THIS to the whole GB fandom thing."
By ProtonCharger
i want it also to be brought to the table, that those two fellas next to the tombstone actually BELIEVE that they are ghostbusters.
like, bust ghosts with the guy on the LEFT's invention, a "proton vac"

no. i am not making this up. google central minnesota ghostbusters.
By ShadesMcPherson
Holy crap. Those guys are still around? I remember reading an article they were in that stated the guy on the left had built a fully functional "Proton Vac" which, to me, looked like a standard vacuum cleaner strapped to his back in lieu of a proton pack.

My opinion on the whole matter is this:

Granted, yes... the GB Uniforms are military surplus, but they are still jumpsuits, and jumpsuits at the core more so than anything military. A jumpsuit is more recognizable with janitors which, in essence, the GB's are. They're spirit exterminators, not an elite military squadron of tactical ghost removal agents. If, for some reason, you do decide to use some other military uniform, remember that you're a frickin' exterminator. Look like one. I wouldn't expect Terminix or the Orkin Man to drop in from a helicopter using tactical maneuvers to get rid of some mice. Even if the mice scare the polyester pants off of me and can float through walls making all sorts of racket.
By Fifthrider
PC? Shades? Thanks to you both I looked up this article and after reading it I fee like I spent a year serving aboard the Event Horizon. You know you've achieved madness when you land on SomethingAwful.com.
By ProtonCharger
the arguements we'd get into with him over his proton vac were all forgotten and not archived. he REALLY believed that it did what it did, and that he was perfectly capable at inventing such a device not even out of his teens.

to this day he has never been able to show proof.
By Potato.
monolith21 wrote:I think a good unofficial rule of bent thumb with Ghostbusters is "keep it in the spirit of the movies".
That's how I see it. I'm a new guy and am not familiar with the decades long history and debates about accuracy as so many on here, but I feel I can make my costume close, but it doesn't need every single tiny detail that was worn by Peter Venkman in the films.

That said, those two guys standing next to the tombstone make me embarrassed for them. Within reason, folks. Within reason.
By monolith21
It is a double edged sword in a lot of ways. I'm a total accuracy nut. I'll wear something out that may not be accurate, but it is usually just a place holder. If you're too lose with stuff, everyone ends up running around with blow up packs and vinyl jump suits. Too strict and it can take the fun out of it for everyone.

Mainly I think keeping it in the spirit of the films means a "lighthearted and fun yet completely recognizable" representation. Some people throw a pair of jump boots and a flight suit on and their want to snap to attention. I think a Ghostbuster should be more likely to ham it up in a parade than to march rank and file!
By belldandy4087
monolith21 wrote:It is a double edged sword in a lot of ways. I'm a total accuracy nut. I'll wear something out that may not be accurate, but it is usually just a place holder. If you're too lose with stuff, everyone ends up running around with blow up packs and vinyl jump suits. Too strict and it can take the fun out of it for everyone.

Mainly I think keeping it in the spirit of the films means a "lighthearted and fun yet completely recognizable" representation. Some people throw a pair of jump boots and a flight suit on and their want to snap to attention. I think a Ghostbuster should be more likely to ham it up in a parade than to march rank and file!
I totally agree with you. I think that as long you are in the spirit of the movies and its reconizable as what its supposed to be, i think your good. But dont get me wrong, If you strive for total screen accuracy, major kudos to you. However its not my thing,
By XenuPrime
I've been putting together a design for a new costume and this thread is giving me pause. I am still putting together my accurate gb1 outfit, but I recently had a cool idea (I think it is!) for a new version.

I am not ready to share details yet, but I thought "what if the paranormal problem got so bad the government had to get involved?" Now, this is not some attempt at a "rank and file" crap (I can't stand that garbage in non-military groups). I simply like the "what if ?"element and want to chalenge myself to come up with a militarized/updated version of the equipment and role of Ghostbuster.

I'm really excited about the few elements I have finalized so far and was looking forward to sharing them here, but I'm not sure how they will be recieved now.
By XenuPrime
Haha! Thanks for the kind words. I figured this has been attempted, but haven't cared enough to look it up. It's just an idea right now (my main focus is still the original). I am glad I noticed this thread though, it has made me reconsider the whole thing and I don't want to waste money or time if it has been done and never turns out good.
XenuPrime wrote:I've been putting together a design for a new costume and this thread is giving me pause. I am still putting together my accurate gb1 outfit, but I recently had a cool idea (I think it is!) for a new version.

I am not ready to share details yet, but I thought "what if the paranormal problem got so bad the government had to get involved?" Now, this is not some attempt at a "rank and file" crap (I can't stand that garbage in non-military groups). I simply like the "what if ?"element and want to chalenge myself to come up with a militarized/updated version of the equipment and role of Ghostbuster.

I'm really excited about the few elements I have finalized so far and was looking forward to sharing them here, but I'm not sure how they will be recieved now.

i smell the bprd/ghostbuster cross over idea that fell pretty flat. no offense if that was you, or where you were headed.

ghostbusters are fine where they're at, they're already iconic enough.
By XenuPrime
ProtonCharger wrote:
XenuPrime wrote:I've been putting together a design for a new costume and this thread is giving me pause. I am still putting together my accurate gb1 outfit, but I recently had a cool idea (I think it is!) for a new version.

i smell the bprd/ghostbuster cross over idea that fell pretty flat. no offense if that was you, or where you were headed.

Not me, not where I was headed and not offended.

I'm not looking to change the Ghostbusters franchise, I just simply thought of somthing that I thought LOOKED cool y'know? I think I will steer clear of it though since it has been tried plenty of times and apparently cursed! :lol:
ghostbusters are fine where they're at, they're already iconic enough.
By TankHammer
Ghostbusters is a comedy. People who try to get too serious about it need to remember that fact.

That said, the only time I've gone out in my uniform was for halloween a couple years ago and I ran into one of those WalMart-style inflatable-pack busters with the logo where the name-tag should be. He saw my costume and gave me an excited smile and a thumbs-up and I returned it with a weak nod and half-smile and ordered another drink.

What's the bent-thumb thing all about btw? I don't remember it from the films.
By Tyrael
Out of curiosity, where is the line drawn between "hardcore" screen accuracy demands and having fun as a Ghostbusters fan? I thought a community such as this would be fairly open-minded towards people's interpretations and varied takes on things, but this thread makes me feel like buying a jumpsuit with a pocket in the wrong place will get me yelled at should I meet anyone from these forums IRL.
Tyrael wrote:this thread makes me feel like buying a jumpsuit with a pocket in the wrong place will get me yelled at should I meet anyone from these forums IRL.
no. that wont get you yelled at. frankly i dont even care about the rubies suits (they're a start or placeholder, not an end). what does get bad flak, if you deviate from the original costume, and it looks like garbage...which is OFTEN the case. the thing with them is they dont take into consideration they represent everyone here, when their uniform looks like who did it and ran they make us who do put effort into our uniforms and props look just as awful, when they look good, they make us look good.

food for thought.
By Some_Guy
There's nothing wrong with being screen accurate or having fun.

There is something wrong with taking something and making it what it's not.

Ghostbusters aren't Military.

They shouldn't be represented as such.
By Tyrael
Believe me, I understand the point of not making Ghostbusters, as a whole, seem military (or anything organized, for that matter; it wouldn't be accurate to the spirit of the films if there wasn't a healthy amount of disorder).

This is what has occurred to me in the discourse throughout this thread:
Franchise patches, which are typically based on the area in which you live or do your GB fun at, are acceptable and often encouraged on a uniform (or flight suit, if "uniform" seems too rigid a term :P ).
Some of us either live in areas where there is no franchise to belong to, and some have jobs that force them to move a lot (military being an example). In any of those cases, a franchise patch isn't something to be very likely (exceptions being made to those who join Ghostbusters United, of course).
My very-rambling point is, franchises seem to be based on geographic location more times than not, as that's a common ground that is easy to base a group of people off of. If a franchise were to be formed that used a common job (ie military personnel), and themed their patch or possibly entire uniform off of such a common thread, would they have to expect a level of harassment from other members of the GB community for their franchise?

Hopefully that came out clearly. Had a long day at work and am a bit frizzled. >_<
By Some_Guy
Replacing the entire regular logo with the franchise logo would avoid this potential problem, though if you can find a way to have a patch on both sleeves that doesn't look ugly (Like Chace did, since that franchise patch is small enough to place just about anywhere.) then go for it.

Some people removed the pocket on the sleeve; heck I did that when I needed to put patches on for a different costume. What this topic is mostly about though is adding shit like "Corporal" and "Sergeant" styled tags above/around the logo patch.

It looks tacky, and stupid.
By XenuPrime
I definetly did not mean organizing or using ranks. The franchises might even be a little to organized for me! I guess what I am thinking of is just a cool design and maybe I should just make it something other than a Ghostbuster. Sometimes my creative side gets out of line!

I do think the franchise patches look cool and I could see the GBs setting up franchises.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

Looks like it won't be streamed but socials will b[…]

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]