In my handful of years here on GBFans I've noticed that some of the resources for women's costumes can be a kind of gross series of threads to tread through. Sadly, the biggest one is many pages of dudes posting about what's hot, not, drooling, and some vague slut-shaming. Ew. Nobody wants to slog through that to find some scraps of outdated information. So I've taken the initiative to get some decent resources for women together. I hope that it'll end up being a great source of information for girls and guys who want to get their lady-friends involved.

This is going to be one of a few threads about women's uniforms. Here I'll be covering cute, feminine skirt/dress options and in the next one I'll talk about flight suits and sizing for them.

Part 2 on Flight Suits and more:link

Now, despite what that thread, HalloweenUSA, and Ghostbustersnews.com shows women, there is a spectrum of ways ladies can express themselves at Ghostbusters. Sexy and authentic are not the only two options! If anything, we have a lot more leeway to get creative with what we wear than guys do.

To begin, let's examine what we're sold: It's the number one result for "female/women/girl Ghostbuster" on any search engine....

The Rubies Suit
*distant screams*

It's a prime example of how costume companies are willing to sacrifice logic and good design for T and A.
I don't even know what the heck the designers were thinking when they made this.

The suits come in two varieties, booty shorts for average sized girls and skirts for plus sized women. The fabric these suits are made out of feels somewhere between polyester and velvet. It has two no-ghost logos, to make up for a missing nametag. The elbow pads are sewn into the sleeves, so they're often on your arm instead of your elbow. It also has flared sleeves which gives the effect of the wearer being a wizard.

The bagged costume also features an adjustable foam belt with "fobs" (o-rings hanging off the belt loops), and a miniature sized floppy rubber proton pack purse (accidentally designed upside-down). In addition to the sewn-in pack straps on the shoulders, it also features tit straps.
(That's right, TIT STRAPS. They have buckles that can be adjusted to your tit comfort level so your nunga-nungas don't go flying everywhere.)
Also a hat that makes you look like a sports-bar waitress.

Now I've tried this suit on before… for science. If you're not comfortable with your shorts being INSIDE YOU then either go for a size up than you normally would or grab the plus-size version.

For something that costs $50.00 on average it's made very poorly. The pack does not look anything like the one pictured above, it's a floppy, deflated, and sad looking rubber excuse for a bag. The outfit itself will probably only last one or two washes before it falls apart.

This costume is great for those who want to wear it for a couple of Halloween parties and are willing to sacrifice money if they don't have the time or effort to put together their own costume. If you're looking for a quick solution, check this out, but definitely go to eBay for it. It's not worth the original price.
Depending on how you wear it, this suit can look anywhere from sexy, to cute, to… uh… whatever this is… Moderation is key, folks.

What it's not great for is the convention scene or doing events with GB groups. The color and material of the suit is far-off from the color of khaki flight suits. You won't be easily matching your significant other unless they're wearing a Rubies suit too. If you want to be more "accurate", but still express yourself the way you want, read about these other options for short one-pieces.

Dickies Dresses

Dickies dresses are pretty much staples of cutie patootie Ghostbuster gals. They're really versatile and comfortable, so they're naturally the most common options for women who want to wear something other than the Rubies suit. They're cheaper than the Rubies bundle, but you'll need to order patches and a belt online, resources for which can be found here on GBFans. I recommend picking off the 'Dickies' logo off the front of them before wearing them out. It just looks nicer.

They come in two varieties, the Annie zipper front and the Betty Ford button up. They also come in multiple colors, so you can go anywhere from khaki to black to a creative bright red! The black dresses have been dyed to match the GB2 navy, so there's no limit to what movie can be represented. They're also quite versatile fashion-wise. If you live in cold weather areas they pair well with long sleeved shirts and Under Armour.

The Annie Dress

The zip up dress fits the aesthetic of Ghostbusters by echoing the style of flight suits with its front pockets and metal zipper. I've worn this dress for many years and never had any problems with it. The only minor complaint I had was the front chest pockets. Even if you're not well-endowed, if you put anything in them you'll be able to see the imprint as clear as day, so I advise having a bag or belt hooks/holsters for your wallet, phone, makeup, or keys. The skirt can also be a little short, so if you don't feel like flaunting what you've got, toss some leggings, tights, or an underskirt on. I highly recommend trying to wear this with long gloves. For some reason it just looks neat.

Lovely examples of the Annie

It can be found for sale at Dickies' website, but be sure to keep an eye on eBay for these!

The Betty Ford Dress

The Betty Ford is definitely as popular as the Annie option. Though the buttons aren't quite accurate, you cannot deny how awesome it looks. Instead of having two boob pockets like the Annie style dress, the Betty only features one, so you'll still have to toss your stuff on your belt or in a purse. It's pretty much the same game as the Annie, but with buttons instead of a zipper.

Wonderful examples of the Betty Ford

Dickies sells it here.

Other Dresses

I've seen many different variations of GB uniforms with skirts/dresses. Basically, if you want something more frilly, feminine, or different that fits your own style/needs you can check out your local thrift store, eBay, and sometimes even big brand stores for khaki and navy dresses! Heck, you can even sew your own pattern if you're so inclined! All it takes is a few patches and a military pistol belt to turn a plain dress into something GB chic!

Check out some of these variations for inspiration!

If anyone who would like to share their experiences, suggestions, and/or pictures of your (or your significant other's) costume, feel free to share.

And don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any!
Wharin, Michael Scott, MEMOR3X and 16 others liked this
Awesome job, Vee! My wife will love this thread! She has a movie accurate suit right now, but she would love to see these other options! Thanks!
travisccook liked this
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Azevedo wrote:Good thread. Can the regular flight suit get an honorable mention?
If you read through the beginning I stated that I'd be posting a thread about flight suits soon. I'm still interviewing and gathering resources from a variety of amazing GB women. I'll also be covering more variations You don't think I haven't noticed how little there is for women and suits, did you? Of course there's gonna be a flight suit thread! Just hold your horses, folks. I'll be out soon. Kingpin, I'll hit you up when that time comes. ;)

I'd like to make an addendum, since it might serve as some inspiration. I did a bit of research and it appears there are only two occurrences of canon skirts on a GB Uniform (Barring all of Janine secretary outfits). The first is the fabulous Nick Runge cover for the first IDW Ghostbusters Halloween special.
Janine is seen wearing a two-piece skirt uniform. However, the interiors feature her wearing a two-piece with shorts. Do with that as you will.

The only other skirt costume is Kenner's Screaming Heroes Janine action figure
I've never seen it done before, but I'd be intrigued to see someone give it a try!
I'll be covering all the other canon uniforms for women in the other thread. If you can think of any more skirt/dress uniforms that I somehow overlooked, let me know.

And folks? Let's keep the gendered insults about the Rubies suit to a minimum, okay? My intention with that section was to give an honest review of it and tell people what it's good, and not good for. I don't want to shame anyone who chooses to buy it or wear it because they didn't have the time or skill to put their own together or because they genuinely like it. It's not our place to judge. You can be critical all you want, let's just not be making assumptions or shame them for wanting to feel pretty.
pyhasanon wrote:How about Janine and Kylie's uniforms from IDW?
Vee wrote:I'll be covering all the other canon uniforms for women in the other thread.
Also, those were shorts they wore, Hasanon, not skirts. I'll be getting to those soon.
Hoot liked this
Vee wrote:
Azevedo wrote:Good thread. Can the regular flight suit get an honorable mention?
If you read through the beginning I stated that I'd be posting a thread about flight suits soon. I'm still gathering info and examples from a variety of GB Women. I'll be out soon. Kingpin, I'll hit you up when that time comes. ;).
I don't know how to read. :(

Thanks Vee.
Awesome! And please, call me Phil, that goes for everybody here... I know I'm in the military, but being called by my last name on forums is just, um, weird... LOL! Not that I ever revealed to anybody here what my first name was, so there it is... And it doesn't help that I use the same username everywhere... =P

Anyways, looking forward to more on this thread!
I've been doing some web hunting for plus sized either Annie or Betty Ford styled dresses for my wife. I got her a pair of white coveralls that I will be dyeing hot pink but am still hunting for a plus sized dress for her. I really love the Dickies dresses as an alternative to the flight suits for the ladies. Was thinking about hitting some rockabilly sites or just maybe lucking out and coming across a dress. Anyone got an idea if any company makes plus sized styles of either the Annie or Betty Ford? I shall continue my hunt in the meantime.
redfive1973 wrote:I've been doing some web hunting for plus sized either Annie or Betty Ford styled dresses for my wife. I got her a pair of white coveralls that I will be dyeing hot pink but am still hunting for a plus sized dress for her. I really love the Dickies dresses as an alternative to the flight suits for the ladies. Was thinking about hitting some rockabilly sites or just maybe lucking out and coming across a dress. Anyone got an idea if any company makes plus sized styles of either the Annie or Betty Ford? I shall continue my hunt in the meantime.
Hmmm. I just spent about fifteen minutes cruising around looking for plus size tan/khaki dresses and couldn't find a whole lot in the style you're looking for. I poked around a few Rockabilly/ vintage site, and wowow, there is some beautiful stuff out there, but I couldn't find anything close to the style of the two dresses. Lots of print and a lot of very dainty frilly stuff. There wasn't a lot of military style stuff. :(
I'll see if I can get in contact with the gal wearing the slimeblower in the "other styles" album and ask where she got her's.

In the meantime you might have to be diligent with your searching or ask your wife where she shops and to keep an eye out for plain khaki/tan dresses that might work. I imagine a lot of big box stores sell generic looking dresses that would be passable. If all else fails, go DIY and make one!
Hoot liked this
Thanks Vee. I'll continue on my hunt. If by chance you do come across said dress do send me a message.
Don't worry Craig, I've included her awesome costume in my flight suit write-up.

Let's keep it to cute dress stuff here, okay guys? I'll be posting the flight suit thread soon enough.
YHSCraig liked this
I'll throw my hat into the I should have read the entirety of the first post and not skimmed it. For what it's worth, and it might not be worth anything, I really think the Betty Ford dress is awesome looking.
I'm not sure when this thread was last updated, but I've seen those "Sexy Ghostbuster" costumes like everyone else, and...well, I won't judge what a girl wants to wear, but it says something about our standards when the IDW cover features four guys in screen-accurate gear...and the one female member wearing a midriff-bearing two-piece. And nobody at all acts like it's weird.

Again, this isn't a judgement on a woman who'd want to wear that midriff-bearing two piece. I actually think Janine looks super-cute in that. What this is a judgement on is...well, isn't the whole idea of a uniform that they should be, well...uniform? Isn't that the point? What would be the uniform code behind bellybutton?
Sister liked this
Kinda off topic, but, while Nick Runge is an amazing artist, I don't like how he depicts the characters... Like Egon looks way off...

Ok, back on topic... LOL! Yeah, not the biggest fan of the Rubie's "sexy" uniforms, but there will be times that someone wears it right and it comes off as somewhat classy, but it's extremely rare... I think I like the Betty Ford the best...
M.Thunder wrote:I'm not sure when this thread was last updated, but I've seen those "Sexy Ghostbuster" costumes like everyone else, and...well, I won't judge what a girl wants to wear, but it says something about our standards when the IDW cover features four guys in screen-accurate gear...and the one female member wearing a midriff-bearing two-piece. And nobody at all acts like it's weird.

Again, this isn't a judgement on a woman who'd want to wear that midriff-bearing two piece. I actually think Janine looks super-cute in that. What this is a judgement on is...well, isn't the whole idea of a uniform that they should be, well...uniform? Isn't that the point? What would be the uniform code behind bellybutton?
Welcome to how I feel 24/7 when women are portrayed in comics/ TV shows/ video games/ movies/ everywhere. Writers and artists love to prioritize sex appeal over logic. Granted, Erik Burnham and Dapper Dan have gotten better about how they portray the women of Ghostbusters and even addressed the issue of the booty shorts in "The New Ghostbusters". However, the fact that they didn't get it the first time they portrayed a woman Ghostbusting is still telling that geek culture hasn't caught on to the whole "women are people, the costumes men design for them are illogical and stupid" thing. Fanboys are more likely to be first concerned with how hot a female character is rather than... anything else, usually, which makes fandoms crappy places for girls to hang out.

Being sexy/cute/hot/classic is fine, but the big difference between here and Halloweencostumes.com is having a choice. When women go to costume shops it's either be a "sexy __________", or leave (and it's the same for comics too). That's why I made these threads. I wanted to let women know they have more than two options and there's no shame in doing what you love and wearing what makes you feel great. We make the choice to wear what we want and if people have a problem with it or they can't behave themselves they can f*** off.

I could seriously talk about this at length. If y'all ever want to talk about Ghostbusters and geek culture through a feminist perspective I'm the one to go to. It's hella fun.
Vee wrote: Erik Burnham and Dapper Dan have gotten better about how they portray the women of Ghostbusters and even addressed the issue of the booty shorts in "The New Ghostbusters".
Really? They did? I just got "Total Containment" and I'm reading "Mass Hysteria" as it comes out, but I've got a lot of catching up to do, comics wise. What did they say?
Vee wrote:
However, the fact that they didn't get it the first time they portrayed a woman Ghostbusting is still telling that geek culture hasn't caught on to the whole "women are people, the costumes men design for them are illogical and stupid" thing. Fanboys are more likely to be first concerned with how hot a female character is rather than... anything else, usually, which makes fandoms crappy places for girls to hang out.
SECONDED! YES! So seconded. Some 40% of people who buy video games are women, and yet I get looked at weird whenever I enter a Game Stop.
Vee wrote:
Being sexy/cute/hot/classic is fine, but the big difference between here and Halloweencostumes.com is having a choice.
I agree. Here's the thing though; this is supposed to be a UNIFORM. When you work for a company, and that company requires you to wear a uniform, then your choice of clothing is limited. You can't show up to your job at Best Buy in a red tank-top, no matter how awesome that shirt makes you feel. Company time means company garb.

I'm trying to imagine .... where did this belly shirt and shirt even come from? Did Janine special-order it for herself because those flight suits were, like, SO not her? Janine may be a lady with her own style, but I'm remembering the reverential way she zipped Louis up in his (borrowed) jumpsuit. I think she mocks the guys, but she does take their work seriously, and if she knew she was coming on a bust she'd be serious about her uniform.

So...one of the guys ordered it for her? Someone actually sat down to order a women's uniform and thought, "well she won't want a flight suit, those aren't flattering, how about this thing, it looks sort of like a cheerleading outfit, those are girly, she'll want something girly!" :eyeroll:

I've been writing the "Updated Ghostbuster Gear" thread in the general discussion section of the site, and one thing we've been talking about is the uniform. We agree that the flight suit standard is unlikely to change much in 30 years, even with franchising, except....it will kind of have to, since with more female busters out there, some sort of uniform standard for women IS going to have to be worked out on a corporate level. How do you even approach that? Where do the Dickies dresses fit in? They're cute, comfortable and practical but I don't think they're quite substantial enough to be worn when wading through psyonically charged sewers, crawling around muddy crypts, clambering up crumbling cyclopian stonework, navigating non-euclidean dimensional space, prying yourself from the jaws of an extra-dimensional being.... You know, usual stuff.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]