By barison82
I've always loved Ghostbusters but until recently my thoughts about this cult classic of the 80s has laid dormant, until an accidental discovery of the Mattel Ghost Trap whilst browsing on ebay. And the rest is history! I have been well and truly bitten by the bug and I'm truly amazed at all the incredible props available.

Thanks to the help of this site and it's members I'm being steered in the right direction in obtaining the holy grail of Ghostbusters props - the Proton Pack. I have learnt a lot about the whole business of finding the 'right' stuff, and as a newcomer to this exciting area I thought I'd share with you what I've managed to get hold of so far, and would value any feedback.

I do have an eye for detail and that makes this kind of thing fun and challenging at the same time - it takes a lot of time and effort finding the right bits and putting it all together. The dedication of all those involved in making these props is truly remarkable, and only a week ago I was completely ignorant of all this!

Here's what I've picked up so far:

Belt Gizmo, custom made

Motorola MT500 Radio (fully functional, with original leather holster, charger and custom, screen-accurate antennae

Overalls: I found a very good looking costume that is custom-dyed and custom made to order, complete with hose attachment:

I've asked for this to be supplied without the patches

Ecto Goggles: I didn't like the Mattel ones , so I found some custom built ones...

And then the Matty Ghost Trap and PKE Meter...both have bids, and the trap is very pricey. I've seen some superb props of the trap which have confused me a bit, but I really like the functionality of the Mattel trap and both this and the PKE meter seem to have good praise on this site.

So that is it! Just the Proton Pack to go really, and a leather holster for the meter and trap...
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
By TK5759
Welcome to the group barison82! Glad you made your way here. I think you'll find that we have a great group of sellers here as well as the gbfans shop which is an amazing and cheaper source to buy all your gear than you'd think!
http://www.gbfans.com/shop/

I went through ebay for another costume and was sorely disappointed when I got everything in. I think you'll find the shop's prices to be much better and reliable than ebay and I'd highly recommend it for any future GB purchases.
Hi TK5759,

Thank you! Yes I'm learning all the time and I have bought a few things from this site's store already - the utility belt, gloves, elbow patch, name patch, key fobs and metallic stickers for that extra detail. I will see how the uniform turns out - it is being made to order so I'm hoping that would go towards getting a decent outfit. I'll post details when it arrives!

The support of this site has been amazing - it really does feel like a community here and that means a lot for a new-comer like myself.
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TK5759
barison82 wrote:Hi TK5759,

Thank you! Yes I'm learning all the time and I have bought a few things from this site's store already - the utility belt, gloves, elbow patch, name patch, key fobs and metallic stickers for that extra detail. I will see how the uniform turns out - it is being made to order so I'm hoping that would go towards getting a decent outfit. I'll post details when it arrives!

The support of this site has been amazing - it really does feel like a community here and that means a lot for a new-comer like myself.
Glad we could make you feel welcome. I'd recommend checking out the flight suits available in the shop. They're less than half the price and is what probably the majority of members here wear. Not to beat you up for your decision but I personally hate the thought of using ebay for anything for a costume. You never know who you're dealing with and the prices are usually out of line.
Thank you...I might be learning the hard way with the uniform - if it turns out to be a load of junk, at least I know where to turn. That's what happens when you get caught in the moment!
By TK5759
I completely understand. I bought my first set of stormtrooper armor off ebay in a Halloween ferver. I regretted it ever since because it was A: overpriced and B: bought from someone who fled the US on felony charges. Wish I'd known all this before I bought it because I guarantee I'd have gone a different route. I eventually bought the kit I currently wear from a reputable vendor on the forums.
Unbelieveable! You'd never think that buying a costume would lead to that kind of aggravation. I was absolutey amazed to discover how much fraud is occuring in this field. You can't get away from it! I learnt how a certain prop shop in the US is selling over-priced packs with Mattel wands that are recasts of someones else's hard work, and they're taking all the credit. That really bugged me big time! P.S awesome Stormtrooper costume
By TK5759
You must be referring to VideoBob. I'd scour this thread very carefully and see if any of these names look familiar: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =31&t=6431

Did you already order your flight suit? If so, I'd recommend cancelling your order if you can and getting one from the shop. A little assembly time and you're going to have a flight suit that's less expensive and likely higher quality.
That's the guy! Will check that link out...yep, I already ordered the suit...dammit!! And actually I've found this thread on here:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =4&t=19861

Gibson & Barnes apparently supplied the real costumes. This is a professional outfitter to the aviation/military industry; it's definately got my interest. Now I really have wasted $200!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
VideoBob is No.1 on the blacklist! Thank god I found this out today. No way that's happening.
By TK5759
If you're building on a budget, check out this thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=34312
Alan Hawkins is currently building this and I don't think he's broken the $500 mark yet. Check it out and look closely at the photos, this pack is a true work of art! All it requires is a little time and patience. :)
Wow that pack is awesome! Believe me if I had the time, space and resources available I would have a go myself but I live in a 1 bedroom flat in central London and it wouldn't be easy taking on a project like that without a proper workbench etc. I'm saving up a bit more so that I can buy a ready made unit from a recommended prop maker, in the meantime I need to assemble my costume which I've decided I'll source from Gibson & Barnes instead...
Bloodvayne wrote:You are in the UK.....hopefully you were pointed in the right direction for a ready made pack then.

I was recently made aware of Benofkent Props. Because I was looking for a smaller sized pack to build to hang on a wall. But they build full size packs aswell and they can build it for you! In your neck of the woods! Check em out:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/364457410396568/
Hello Bloodvayne,

Yes I was recommended 'Nickatronprops' by another member and they are the real deal! But I'll have a look into these guys as well, thanks for the info!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benofkent Props look good too! And they do have a more affordable payment plan. I'll have to find out what soundboard they use as I've read that the one available through GBFans is the best one
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By barison82
Hello all, here are some photo updates for this thread...the last few months have been spent gathering all the right parts in preparation for my pack build which should begin next March; my prop builder, Benarie Smith of 'Benofkent Props' here in the UK, provides a step-by-step photo documentation of each of her clients' projects on Facebook, so once mine starts, I'll be able to share the progress of this build on GBFans :)

In the meantime, I have received Anchon's Matty trap holster, V-hook conversion kit and PKE holster, which are awesome, and so well made:

The Matty Trap:

Here is the belt set-up (belt from GBFans shop):

The key fobs and leg hose fob attachment are by Tygercheex and are superb:

Name patches from GBFans:

Elbow pads and black chemical gloves are standard from GBFans shop:

Motorola MT-500 with original leather holster, screen accurate antennae and ghost labs interactive sound module installed:

Belt Gizmo by Flatland Props; lights up too :)

Matty PKE Meter & custom made Ecto Goggles, which are fabricated from resin with metal parts:

When I finally receive the Gibson & Barnes flight suit, for which there has been a 10-12 week lead time, the uniform will be nearly complete; I have still yet to source a no-ghost patch that is screen-accurate, but a friend who is a costume designer may be able to help me with this :) A pair of boots are also needed!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
By barison82
Also, I did the minor mod for the Matty Trap pedal and added a genuine computer ribbon in place of the moulded plastic one. Just need to add the cable ties. Help from this thread:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =3&t=27978

I also want to change out the red light lenses for the GBFans ones, but haven't figured this out yet. It may involve too much disassembly! I will build a GB1 trap from a kit in the future so I may save this detail for that instead.

I also added an additional 'DANGER' label to the relay. I wanted to switch this round so it has the ITT - ITALY script facing on the inside of the pedal, as in the film, but the way that this is mounted inside did not allow me to do this without major modifications being necessary.

And extra vinyl labels for the trap, including one to replace the Matty paper sticker:

Although it is toy-like, the Matty Trap is still cool I think and the way it functions makes it worth having; but for a real, screen accurate prop I will have to build one from either a kit or from scratch; definitely a project for the future!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
By barison82
Another update, I have finally received the most important part of the uniform, the flightsuit from Gibson & Barnes...I ordered this at the end of July and there was a 10-12 week lead time, and it was a custom order both with sizing and GB specs. It fits perfectly and is quite heavy as well, and the material is really high quality, with brass zippers. It wasn't cheap - it came to $321.50!! Damn expensive, plus I had to pay customs here in the UK an extra £76.50 on top of that (about $100). So I will not be repeating this order for other members of my Franchise - GB Fans shop for the other flightsuits I think! But the quality and the fitting is awesome, so I would have to say it was worth it in the end I guess...next step is to sew on the name patch, tan hose leg connector and source a screen accurate no-ghost patch.

Always exciting when a new package arrives :)

Which name? I'll probably go with my own

This GBFans No-Ghost patch is nice, but I'd love to score a screen accurate one in the future

For anyone interested in a Gibson & Barnes flightsuit, there is all the info you need on ordering one with all the GB specs in Vincenzo330's thread:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =4&t=19861

This is how I found out about them. Be warned though - it doesn't come cheap like I said earlier, especially if you want it with bespoke fitting like I had, but if you want that extra quality, it is well worth it.
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
By barison82
Finally got all the gear on...the G&B flightsuit has a very tailored look, which I actually like as I'm a slim guy so for a suit like this, made to measure was the right way to go. The material is heavy (it is a 65% Poly, 35% Cotton blend, not Nomex which would have been even heavier). The suits in the movies look much more loose and baggy, due to the cut/different fabric that was used (ripstop) but the fitting is made to measure. Now to get the patches and leg hose sorted!

We got one!

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Glenn Frederick liked this
Latest arrival - Cocoran 995 MilSpec boots - very comfortable too!

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
FINALLY...I have managed to get hold of a very-near-to-screen accurate No-Ghost patch, available from Anovos, but pricey when obtaining from the UK (as usual)...but again, worth it!

Here it is being stitched on by my very skilled other half, using a reference photo of the real thing, in order to closely replicate the stitching method.

I've been waiting close to 3 years to get a decent patch on my suit!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
It took a good while and I worked very hard to get it as close as possible, as well as the positioning of the patch, which has a slight tilt to the left, and I referenced from a screen-grab as best I could.
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Toddbobbentley liked this
After putting the flightsuit through the wash for the first time it has softened up the fabric and it wears much better as a result. Can't wait to get fully kitted up for the first time [emoji4]

The Gibson & Barnes flightsuit was worth every penny.
Toddbobbentley liked this
Finally have the flightsuit finished, after 2 years. Got the new leg hose connector and drilled the holes:

I used a Dremel - no drill press - and had the thing in a clamp. It was touch and go but practised drilling some holes into a few spare hose connectors of all shapes and sizes which were bought in the past, but won't be used. I didn't enjoy doing this part very much but don't think it turned out too badly :wink:

After doing some thorough research, I decided to use the grey connector for GB1. A photo reference from the Gozer scene clearly shows grey connectors - I have to assume the a mix of tan and grey connectors were used on the costumes (i.e on the many spares that were made) and both were seen in the film?

Very happy with the final costume. Just the pack to go...
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

Is anybody making Slime Blowers that would fit the[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]