Hey GBFans,

Well, I'm back and ready to start new project for 2017 :whatever:

Now that my GB1/GB2 Proton Pack (aka "Betty") is completed I wanted to focus on making a GB2 flight suit. Personally I've always preferred the GB2 Gray (or Grey) flight suit to the khaki color because I've never been a big fan of khaki, in general, or how it looks on me.

So for the last few weeks I've been researching the GBFans forum and threads trying to find the best affordable option. At first I went to Gibson & Barnes because I heard they made and make the GB2 flight suit from the same materials from the 1989 film. However, within the last year this is no longer an option but the G&B "Sentinel" comes very close. When I looked into my options for this suit the price tag came to over $200 and I really started asking myself if it would be worth it. In talking with other GBs from around the country and within my own state I decided that dying a cheaper suit would be more cost affective.

When I started building "Betty" I went ahead and purchased a GB2 style logo patch and name tag with hope to do the GB2 suit in that time. Now, I'm ready to invest the next couple months in getting a suit ready for a parade I have in mid-March.

"Betty" (w/ GB2 Style Shoulder Straps)

The flight suit:
I've gone ahead and ordered a Tru-Spec, Navy flight suit from the GBFans shop. I opted for a LARGE because I figure the suit will shrink, but also my body-type in weird. I'm not exactly a medium (anymore :blush: ) but I'm not really a large too; so, large feels like the best choice. One of the better things about having a slightly bigger suit is that you can layer clothes under if for the colder winter months for outdoor events.

The flight suit, from navy to grey:
Now this is where it gets tricky. I have never dyed clothes before nor do I know how. But I said the same thing about building a proton pack and look out that came out. :cool: I first reached out to a few members of other GB franchises in surrounding states that I know have GB2 flight suits and asked if they had a recipe or method. Each one surprisingly didn't recall (or want to give out the information :eyeball: [only kidding guys] ). So I came back to the forums for some searching. I found a handful of older posts with forum members documenting their processes but had no real detailed steps or measurements. But this is understandable seeing how everyone has different setups and methods. How do you choose? In the end I think it will come down to trial and error (hopefully minus the error).

The thread I've decided to go with is "Navy Tru-Spec to GB2 Charcoal" by mburkit. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16153

It's an older thread from 2009 but it has a step(s) process with simple directions and RIT dye measurements.

The patches:

GB2 Logo

GB2 Name Tag

Groups Franchise Patch

The belt:

I received my Pistol Belt (Black) from the GBFans shop this week. Wow, it's really sturdy and very easy to adjust. I have to say it definitely feels and fits better than the GB1 style belts.

The Lifeguard II:

A couple years back I acquired a real Lifeguard II from eBay for about $50.00. I haven't seen any on the site in a while sadly. I did gut the Lifeguard out because I didn't want it going off accidentally which I happened to a friend of mine. Image

The GB2 belt fobs:

Currently ordered various styles of rings and snap bolts using "GBII Belt, Fobs And Pouches Discussion" thread as a guidance. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23291

More details coming as items arrive soon.
denvergbfan liked this
Work on the GBII Style belt has officially started.

Gathering all the needed hooks and webbing was surprisingly easy. I used two different websites to acquire the necessary materials. In my research I've noticed that no two GBII belts are exactly alike. So, it will be very likely my configuration of webbing to hooks might not match.

Strapworks.com:

2" Polyester Seat Belt Webbing (Black) = V-Ring

2" Flat Nylon Webbing (Black) = 2" D-Ring

1 1/2" Flat Nylon Webbing (Black) = 1 1/2" O-Ring

1" Flat Nylon Webbing (White) = 1" Metal Fixed Loop Swivel Snaps

-OR-

1" Flat Nylon Webbing (White) = 1" Metal Bolt Snaps

1" Flat Nylon Webbing (Silver Gray) = Metal Beefy Bolt Snaps

I am currently awaiting the arrival of my V-Ring for the 2" seat belt webbing. The only site I was able to find V-Rings was dj-associates.com

I tried reaching out to the company about the width and never heard back. So, I decided to purchase them and take a chance. Unfortunately there is a $25 minimum for all orders. I have six (6) coming. The same day I ordered they shipped within a couple hours. I'll picture them when they arrive next week.
csullivan1980 wrote: I tried reaching out to the company about the width and never heard back.
The width of the V-ring slot should actually be about 1/8" too short. If you slightly fold in the sides of the webbing where it meets the opening in the fob, you can get a really nice fit without the material bunching up.

Today I decided to take my old black Rothco flight suit and attempt to make it into a GBII charcoal grey.

I must stress that I have no idea what the hell I am doing and going off of what other members have done to similar style flight suits. One goal was to create an actual recipe with measurements, something I haven't fully seen on the GBFans forum. I also documented my entire step process on video and I will be uploading it here once the processes is complete.

PLEASE NOTE: this is for a black Rothco flight suit. The intended purpose was to lighten the color of the suit only.

ImageImage

1. Wash flight-suit in warm water with laundry detergent, do not dry

2. Remove from wash

3. Fill a 16 Quart stock pot with 2 gallons of water and add 2 packages of RIT Laundry Treatment Color Remover

4. Once dissolved slowly place wet suit in pot and work out bubbles

5. Heat water, but do not boil.

6. Constantly move suit, working out bubbles using tongs. You'll have to try to keep the suit under water as best as possible.

7. I heated my suit on the stove for 2 hours checking the color every 10-20 minutes.

8. Once two hours is up, bring pot to sink and drain. Rinse with cold water until water from suit runs clear.

9. Wash warm again with laundry detergent and line dry.

After wash results:

I am pretty happy with the results. I honestly didn't expect it to come out so nice. Color is very even throughout the whole suit.

This is one of two suits I plan to change the color. The next one will be a Tru-Spec Navy to gray.

UPDATE:

The suit has fully air dried and looks more heather gray than dark gray. Will most likely dye some black back into it or if I can find some gray dye I'll add that to the suit.

Found this on the RIT Dye website today. I'm going to add this mixture of color back into the flight suit. On the site it says the recipes are for white cotton but obviously they don't make 100% cotton flight suits. Haha that would be a sight.
SamHain82 liked this
I added come RIT dye today to my flight-suit following yesterday's RIT color remover.

I didn't need to re-wash it so I simply do the following:

Heated approx. 3 gallons of water to 16 QT stock pot.

Added 1 1/2 TSP royal blue AND black RIT powder.

Places suit in for 30 minutes.

Washed with detergent and line dried.

Here is a picture of it almost right out of the wash (compared to yesterday on left).

Update #2

By the time the flight-suit fully dried it was still a bit light. So I dyed it again the only difference was I let it sit in the dye bath for a full hour.

Here is the outcome:

I think I can call this a success!!
Morning after. Looks pretty sweet! Only grip is that these Rothco suits are a bit snug and fit weird in the junk. This suit I would say isn't the best if you plan to layer clothes under it. It's definitely better for warmer weather.

SamHain82 liked this

V-Hooks arrived today. Belt construction begins this weekend.

Today I hope to get started on sewing loops for the belt.
https://vimeo.com/202626676

Video of the almost complete Belt. I got a Spongface GB2 style Gizmo kit coming which I have to work on very soon.
Looking good :-) I;m putting my GB1 costume together at the mo and plan to do the GB2 grey one soon after. I actually prefer that look as well, should have started with it really. I'll be bookmarking this for me I come to dying. I've just ordered s Spongeface Gizmo as well, and will probably get the black one if I can solder it all ok and don't mess it up ha ha
Yesterday I decided to give the suit one more one hour dye bath with the same measurements and mixtures. It's always hard to tell how the color comes out because wet clothes always look darker than they really are.

I think if you are doing the dye job I did with a Rothco brand suit that two dye jobs is all that the suit will take.

On thing that you should note. The Cooper or metal rivets by the armpits will create faint maroon color spots. It's hard to tell from the photo but if you look closely you'll fine them.

However I seriously doubt this will affect a thing.

Can't wait to start this :)

Made some really great progress tonight I feel very confident about this build
ImageImageImageImageImage

All done. That was easy. No butt jokes [emoji39]
Full gear photos

ImageImage
csullivan1980 wrote:I added come RIT dye today to my flight-suit following yesterday's RIT color remover.

I didn't need to re-wash it so I simply do the following:

Heated approx. 3 gallons of water to 16 QT stock pot.

Added 1 1/2 TSP royal blue AND black RIT powder.

Places suit in for 30 minutes.

Washed with detergent and line dried.

Here is a picture of it almost right out of the wash (compared to yesterday on left).

After you dyed it, did you rinse it before putting it in the washer. We just got a new one and I don’t want to dye the inside of it. Lol.
I poured the pot out in a sink, ran it under cold water, rang it out and threw it in the wash.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]