By Ecto716
So, I'm taking the leap to dye a navy blue flight suit to the charcole gray. My only concern is that I dont want to ruin a washing machine with the RIT dye.
If I follow the pinned recipe for the Tru Spec suit, and then run the washing machine when done with just soap and water, it should sufficiently clean out any excess dye, right?
Get a rubbermaid tote to dye it. You may have to boil a couple of large pots of water but you can do it outside and use a hose to rinse the excess before throwing it into the washer. After you wash it run a hot bleach cycle. the bleach will eliminate any dye residue
Sorry for the thread necro, but I'd just like to add that I've dyed tons of stuff in top-loading, front-loading, and stacked washers and never ruined one. If you use my method, there's a post-dye washing and color-setting process that should handle removal of dye residue. If you're concerned, run an empty cycle (or fill it with rags/shop towels) on the hottest setting with a cup of bleach.

Stovetop dying (or even in a Rubbermaid container, as suggested) both work fine as well, as long as you can keep the water hot enough.

RIT dye is a comparatively mild and weak dye, so you don't need to worry too much about it as long as you're dilluting it and not getting it directly on clothes you care about.
Hey there! I totally get your concern about not wanting to wreck your washing machine with RIT dye. So, the pinned recipe for the Tru Spec suit sounds like a good place to start. It should guide you on how to properly dye your flight suit without going overboard. However, remember that it's always a good idea to do a small test batch first to see how the color turns out. As for cleaning out the excess dye, running the washing machine with just soap and water after dyeing should help get rid of any residue. If you're still worried about your washing machine, you could always consider using a service that specializes in large appliances. They might have some tips on maintenance and cleanup.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]