By Heatley2001
I was curious if anyone stuck with the navy flight instead of dyeing it?

Im going to be doing a GB 2 suit and i know its more of a charcoal color but im worried that i may miss up the dyeing process and because i wont be ale to afford another suit i was hoping not to dye it but wanted to see if anyone else had done the same and what it looked like.

Thank you.
By djsparky
So if you search a lot on here, you'll find that the film version was actually blue. But most people want to go with what they saw on screen after some color tinting of the film. So I'd just stand proud and wear blue, because it is actually accurate.
By Kingpin
djsparky wrote: June 16th, 2018, 5:07 pm So if you search a lot on here, you'll find that the film version was actually blue.
I'm afraid that's incorrect, as revealed in this post on Facebook, the darker suits in Ghostbusters II were charcoal/gray:

Link
By CosmoBubba
Yeah, the grey might be a bit more screen accurate and more popular among the costuming community, but I don't see why a person couldn't rock the navy blue. I've seen people in uniforms in black, olive green, and hot pink, uniforms themed around My Little Pony, steampunk, Sonic the Hedgehog, and all kinds of other crazy mashups.

So yeah, if you don't feel comfortable dying a uniform, I wouldn't. I don't speak for the entire community, but I don't think anybody would hold it against you if you stayed with the navy blue.
By EgonMacGyver
I sure wouldn't think it's an issue. I'm working on a hunter green suit. Also, if you consider the comics canon, the Chicago branch wears navy suits, too
By BRD 527
There is a full page photo of Aykroyd and Murray on page 119 of Ghostbusters : The Ultimate Visual History where the uniforms cant be mistaken for anything but Dark Navy Blue. Most other pics look faded like they had been heavily used and run thru the wash a few dozen times... which would make sense as dirty as the uniforms would get in their line of work I'm sure they would have to wash them daily so the wardrobe people probably did just that and made them look used and faded... :-|

I worked as a security guard for 15 years mostly outdoors and wore insulated dark navy blue uniform coveralls (issued a new set every year) pretty much every day from fall thru spring (Chicago weather sucks) honestly they only really look Dark Navy Blue for the first couple months :wink:
By Kingpin
BRD 527 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:14 pm There is a full page photo of Aykroyd and Murray on page 119 of Ghostbusters : The Ultimate Visual History where the uniforms cant be mistaken for anything but Dark Navy Blue.
I've just taken a look at the photo, though there are two others in Ghostbusters II section featuring those suits where it looks grey.

The case for the suit mentioned three posts back is pretty convincing, and while it may be one thing for the colour to fade out after the better part of 30 years, I'm not as convinced about the "colour washing out" within the timeline of the film production... Surely that'd be exactly the opposite of what you'd want dye to do? I know the colour lightens a little after the first few washes after the item has been dyed, I just don't believe it'd lighten/de-colour that much in such a short amount of time.

Either the discovered suit is a really good fake, or something in the development process of some of the photos led to the suits looking blue in some of their appearances - I've seen it with how some television cameras film the uniform shirts worn by the British Police (making them appear brown when they're actually black), and then there's the example of Shatner's mustard-yellow tunic on Star Trek looking gold in the broadcast episodes.
By BRD 527
I know. the picture I mentioned on page 119 is the only picture ive seen where they really look blue. I wasn't implying that the uniforms naturally faded that much during the production of the movie but that the people in wardrobe did something to the uniforms to make them appear more used/worn because they would never look new for long if your on call busting ghosts 24/7 for a month and some change as the uniforms would have most likely been washed on a daily basis during that time.
Kingpin wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:44 pm The case for the suit mentioned three posts back is pretty convincing, and while it may be one thing for the colour to fade out after the better part of 30 years, I'm not as convinced about the "colour washing out" within the timeline of the film production... Surely that'd be exactly the opposite of what you'd want dye to do? I know the colour lightens a little after the first few washes after the item has been dyed, I just don't believe it'd lighten/de-colour that much in such a short amount of time.

Either the discovered suit is a really good fake, or something in the development process of some of the photos led to the suits looking blue in some of their appearances - I've seen it with how some television cameras film the uniform shirts worn by the British Police (making them appear brown when they're actually black), and then there's the example of Shatner's mustard-yellow tunic on Star Trek looking gold in the broadcast episodes.
Not saying its fake but the "STANTZ" patch on that uniform is wrong (size of patch and spacing between letters) and not quite in correct location, the belt is wrong too (note eyelet spacing) It also looks like it would be kind of a tight fit on Aykroyd. :-?
By Kingpin
BRD 527 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 6:16 pmbut that the people in wardrobe did something to the uniforms to make them appear more used/worn because they would never look new for long if your on call busting ghosts 24/7 for a month and some change as the uniforms would have most likely been washed on a daily basis during that time.
I honestly don't think they'd bother to do that, they didn't with the first film, and they didn't even bother to get the facade of the Firehouse to match how it looked in the original movie.
BRD 527 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 6:16 pmNot saying its fake but the "STANTZ" patch on that uniform is wrong (size of patch and spacing between letters) and not quite in correct location, the belt is wrong too (note eyelet spacing) It also looks like it would be kind of a tight fit on Aykroyd. :-?
When the suit was acquired, it was suit-only - all of the non-spec patches had been removed after the production. The belts and patches present in the photos are replacements installed by the current owner.
By BRD 527
Okie Dokie works for me, ima have to rewatch GBII when I get back home in a few hours! I know the firehouse exterior didn't get as much screen time in the second film I did not notice that :sigh:
By djsparky
Kingpin wrote:
BRD 527 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 6:16 pmbut that the people in wardrobe did something to the uniforms to make them appear more used/worn because they would never look new for long if your on call busting ghosts 24/7 for a month and some change as the uniforms would have most likely been washed on a daily basis during that time.
I honestly don't think they'd bother to do that, they didn't with the first film, and they didn't even bother to get the facade of the Firehouse to match how it looked in the original movie.
BRD 527 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 6:16 pmNot saying its fake but the "STANTZ" patch on that uniform is wrong (size of patch and spacing between letters) and not quite in correct location, the belt is wrong too (note eyelet spacing) It also looks like it would be kind of a tight fit on Aykroyd. :-?
When the suit was acquired, it was suit-only - all of the non-spec patches had been removed after the production. The belts and patches present in the photos are replacements installed by the current owner.

Well, I do stand corrected. My understanding was the current consensus was the blue. I also am surprised how Venkman's uniform has different zipper style than Stantz's.

The blue vs grey, was a bit of the khaki vs light grey of the first movie. So much depended on the film processing, it's hard to actually tell.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]