For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
By fryguy81
This is more of a reaction to previous threads and comments made there.

I don't think you can disregard the impact that the Real Ghostbusters had on the franchise. Yes the movies are the main body but there were a lot of good ideas that came from the tv show, so good that they put some of them in the Video Game. (Slimer being named and shown staying at the firehouse coming to mind.)

I'm not saying it's more important but what I am saying is I don't think you can dismiss it as just a kids show that has no value on the franchise as a whole and the characters in particular.

There is only two movies and there are over 120 episodes (someone can give me an exact number) of RGB and over half of them are on the same quality in writing and characterization that the movie had.

I don't know, I will always defer to the movies as being the top of the franchise when push comes to shove, but when I think of Ghostbusters my mind goes fro Bill Murray to immediately memories of the TV show. I don't know, what do you think?
Daniel liked this
By SPJ
I seem to recall somewheres that Aykroyd endorsed the show at some point, even claimed to review some of the scripts early on.

I always liked the first seventy or so shows.
By CODE RGB
like i said the first 78 episodes are golden in my opinion, also you know how Bill Murray joked about how he wanted to be killed off in the 3rd movie and only be a ghost thru out? well check out the episode "Egon's Ghost" and tell me that hasn't been done already in RGB. :cool:
By Fritz
I probably wouldn't be here without the cartoon.

There are other 80s movies I loved, but never got involved in the fandom. But I was a voracious watcher of cartoons that caught my interest; being the mid 80s', that was often an anime dub (ie Voltron, Robotech) or something else that looked to break the strangehold of Hanna Barbera/Filmation mediocrity on American cartoons, and The Real Ghostbusters--with it's top notch writing (in the early days) and state of the art (for it's time) animation more than fit the bill.

It was the most successful cartoon based off a movie to date (Only Star Wars: The Clone Wars has any chance of matching a six year run if it keeps up what it's doing) and one of the most successful shows based off a movie (with M*A*S*H and Buffy the Vampire Slayer being the only ones I can think of off the top of my head to beat it in terms of longevity)

Great characters, great writing, it stayed away from the formulas of the time, and it had neat toys to boot. Yeah, it decayed when ABC started to "improve" it, but it held my attention all the way to the end.

I saw the first movie in 1985 on HBO; I didn't (and still don't) go out to the movies much. I was throwing popcorn at the second on opening day; without the affection for the property generated by the cartoon, I probably wouldn't have been disappointed by the second movie until 1990. :lol:
Daniel, Glenn Frederick liked this
By Daniel
I can't agree anymore: I get interested on Ghostbusters because of the cartoon: as a child (5 years old in 1984), I never get the whole movie until several years later. The Real Ghostbusters captured my imagination then and now; even when show's quality changed, I watched all the episodes and re-runs when I was on Secondary school from 1996 to 2000 here on my country,Ecuador. It's very difficult for me to imagine Ghostbusters universe without RGB.
By Razorgeist
The cartoon is Ghostbusters as far as Im concerned. It had such good writing and monster design that it made GB2 seem pale in comparison. As I mentioned in a previous post there actually seemed to be a small backlash in the cartoon some years ago and I found it quite perplexing.
It was the most successful cartoon based off a movie to date (Only Star Wars: The Clone Wars has any chance of matching a six year run if it keeps up what it's doing) and one of the most successful shows based off a movie (with M*A*S*H and Buffy the Vampire Slayer being the only ones I can think of off the top of my head to beat it in terms of longevity)
Stargate SG-1 also comes to mind.
By Fritz
Razorgeist wrote:
Stargate SG-1 also comes to mind.
Yeah...forgot about that one at the time.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/37016683[…]

Between the terror dogs in GB1 and the Boogieman i[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with disas[…]

The opening post contain a lot information. Quic[…]