For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Here it goes, not just a breakdown/show off of the Eduardo costume that I made, but a complete break down of what he wore in the show for anyone else wanting to dress for sucess :). First a comparison.
Eduardo
me

Shirt- An apple green polo shirt. In a brief interveiw with Fil Barlow, character designer for EGB, he told me he would omit buttons from drawings to make it easier to animate, so an off the rack polo with buttons would be accurate, but for those sticklers that want a "as seen on tv" look, there are buttonless polos out there just gotta hunt a bit. Mine had some little logo embroidered on the left breast of the shirt, but its not noticable with the vest on (and its the same color as the shirt anyway). Non logoed ones do exsist though, I've seen them.

Logo-The EGB guys just used the standard looking logo, although the farther it got in the series the less it was drawn. I just wanted to note though although I used a standard patch, the way it was drawn made it look more like it was ironed on or silk screened on. I consider that a style choice on the part of the indiviual though since there is no solid evidence one way or the other, just speculation.

Vest-Its not clear what his vest is made of, its not bright enough orange to be a saftey vest, and its cut and the way it hangs is completly wrong for a dress vest, and its lack of pockets rules out a utility vest. Its also a different color that either parts of his gloves, and his boots so I wouldn't think leather or suede (but that's just my opinion). The cut of his vest is interesting though, the shoulders are a bit wider than a normal vest, and where it meets in the middle it goes straight there aren't and curves or angles all the way up to the neckline. The back of the vest is blank with no adjuster or extra hardware. I found some that seemed close visually but they were mostly polar fleece and such, and weren't just right, plus it doesn't seem like Ed would be the type to rock a polar fleece vest. I also found an interesting motorcycle safty vest, it wasn't right but it was interesting. Since I failed to find an off the rack option for his vest, I decided that I had to make one. I wear a m/l t shirt so I got an xl fruit of the loom tee, that I had found in the right color (a burnt orange, but I don't know what their fancy color name for it was), this way it would give me the proper length of his vest. Next I cut off the sleeves and cut it straight down the middle, I hemed the middle and rolled where the sleeves were to give it the piped shaped they constantly showed his shoulders having in the show, mine didn't turn out that well but I tried. Also a note that in one episode (maybe two but I think it was just one) they drew diagonal lines on his vest on both sides on the same spot through out the episode, seemed like a version of his vest with pockets to me. just wanted to throw that out there for anyone wanting pockets.
see vest pockets

Gloves-The gloves appear to be suede/leather gloves with a gauntlet. Finding the right gloves was hard, many people recomended welding gloves, but they are so bulky that they just wouldn't work. but after a fair bit of searching I found "rose pruning gloves" they are suede, gauntleted gloves that fit properly. They can be dyed with leather dye and then a patch can be applied to the knuckles to give it that perfect look. My gloves are just gardening gloves I got from walmart, I got them in a slightly bigger size than I need so they would go slightly further on my arm, then cut off the adjuster strap, and drew the patch on with a tan sharpie. They worked ok, but they are to short and the colors of the glove and patch should have been reversed. Look back up at the vest pics for good pics of his gloves too :).
Rose pruning gloves
My gloves
strap removed
sharpied patch
tada done (i wish i could have gotten the rose pruning ones in time :P)

Pants-His pants seem to be just normal blue jeans, I'd probably recommend sticking with the standard "work" jeans dude to classic look and uniformity in color, these days it seems the more fasionable jeans all have fancy stitching and faded and predistresses areas. As for getting the right shade of blue that can be harder, jeans come in different shades, from brand new, partically Han Solo blue, to totally stone washed. I'd recomemd just color matching based off pictures, I went for a slightly washed out version of the normal "brand new blue". A bit of fading can be a good thing as long as its uniform.

Boots-Ed's boots appear to be brown leather boots the animation gennerally makes them go from square toed to a blunted point (not full on cowboy boot), also they are flat across the top without visable pull loops. The boots that I have found that come closest to fitting the bill would be brown harness boots, with the harness removed, as they have a flat top, and a square toe, and like the buttons on the shirts the pull loops may have been removed for ease of drawing, so yet again for the "as seen on tv" look they can be remmoved too, and internal ones added if you need the help getting them on but that is pretty minor seeing as how the boots are in his pants. Or I have a pair of justin work boots, these are coybow-esq in the way the toe is pointed and the way the top of the calf curved, but the toe is slightly less pointed than normal cowboy boots and lacks all the fancy stiching that visually identifies cowboy boots. Given his personallity and they fact they portray him with a motorcycle with one of the toys, I'd say the harness boot would be the way to go, but thats just my opinion.
Eduardo's boots
My boots
what I recommend

Elbow Pads- Tan tactical pads. They seem really good the way they are, but just to nit pick they are a bit long for my taste and the materinal on the oposite side from the elbow part tends to bunch up a bit. Also when wearing these along with the polo shirt, and gauntleted gloves they would all over lap which is why I think they are to long. I may try modifing these when I get a better sewing machine, I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Belt- Ok, Ed wears a black belt with a rectangular silver/grey buckle. Given his personality and way of dress I thought a black leather belt, with a plain metal buckle would be perfect, so I have a belt with a rmovable buckle, and bought a tandy leather rectagular buckle blank, which I though was perfect. I have however been shown I black cotton web belt from Dickies that used a pewter colored slider buckle, that did not look bad, it did however have the Dickies logo emblasioned across the buckle though. I inital threw out the idea of a normal military dress belt because it just didn't seem right, to narrow and the buckle was to smal in comparison to the belt itself, but the Dickies belt it wider than those and the buckle is of better proportion. I still like the leather belt better myself but I want to explore all options for this break down.

Earrings- Gold earrings bling bling :P. he has one gold earring in each ear, its a small hoop that is bigger at the bottom than the top. I don't have peirce ears (because I'm a wuss) so I didn't even bother looking for these but I did make my own clip ons. I had a pair of toy jewlery rings laying around, and noticed they were the right basic shape and that they would fit on my ears, so I trimmed off the jewels and the nubs, sanded off the "chrome" and painted them gold and drenched them with clear coat. The have held up quite well, they stayed on my ears walking around Dragon*Con no problem.
and here I am wearing them with my glasses not my contacts :P oooooh aren't I cool :sigh:

Misc.- Lets see what else does he have, oh yes a proton pack, its just the standard EGB one though, also he carries a walkie talkie, a flash light, PKE meter, and a notebook and pencil in his pocket. The other guys (mostly Roland and Kylie) have sample collection bags and petri dishes they use, but Eduardo never has his own. The PKE Meter is just a normal EGB one as well. The flashlight is a simple dark grey flashlight. The walkie talkie is the regular EGB one, its carried in a yellow holster on the right side of his blet, its normally hidden by his vest. I'll also assume that his PKE and flashlight are somewhere on his belt/under his vest since we can't ever see them. probably on his left side since they are not visible in the shot of him with his walkie. I'd also assume his flashlight holder would be yellow too since his walkie holder is, and so is kylies belt pouches (yay for uniformity). I'd also guess (lots of guessing with this stuff) that there isn't a PKE holder, in one episode Roland just clips it to his belt, so i bet thats what Ed does too. Also he wears a watch, its under his glove I know but still its there :P. Its a square digital watch with two buttons on the front, all the watches they showed on the show appearded to be this white/ off white color, so you can either take that as the color or assume its a black digital watch like most of them are. It appears that its also the same watch that Garrett wears, and is, atleast to me, very reminisent of the Sekio voice note. Finally his note pad and pencil, almost no details on this one, I'd use a spiral top bound pocket note book and just a normal yellow pencil.
The EGB Proton Pack
Real EGB Packs (made by Joey Baggz)
His walkie talkie in holder.
Garrett's walkie talkie but they are identical
His watch
Garrett's watch
Sekio Voice Note
White Digital Watch
His flashlight
hard to see but his notepad and pencil
the EGB style PKE clipped onto Roland's belt

Hair, Joey Baggz suggested anime wigs to get the right look for the hair, I'll have to research that more, I was planning on just doing the David Tennet Doctor Who style to my hair but I was out of my good gel and my hair is a little to long to defy gravity at the moment, also I was dressed as Ghostbuster Shaggy earlier in the day so that kinda determined the hair :P and the goatee for that matter other wise I would have made it much narrower.
And here are a few parting shots of me at Dragon*Con wearing Joey Baggz "Big Momma" thanks for the loan man.

oh and I almost forgot a head to toe shot of me in costume (minus the pack and earrings)

let me know if I've missed anything.
gamera1968 liked this
Damn Harry, when I read the title of the thread I didn't expect these kinds of details! Good to see someone putting this much effort into a really well done project. The design and choices you picked are spot on from what I can tell. I look forward to what you have in mind for your next project :) Keep up the grand work ol' chum!
Like the others have already mentioned- well done! You captured his uniform rather well and I'm sure Fil Barlow would be proud. :)

Love the XGB Packs, too! :cool:

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

Hey, anyone else playing this game? I want to find[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]