For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
By SonofSamhain

If you are from my generation (millennials) or may be even a generation earlier, cartoons held such a high regard in our childhoods. They were everywhere in the 80's & 90's! I've often referred to that time & those shows--the great ones anyway--as our Millennial Motown. Speaking for myself, as a latchkey kid, shows like the Real Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Ducktales, X-Men & Batman the Animated Series were weekday afternoon & Saturday morning escapes; immersing me in worlds that were so expertly crafted, I would still [mentally] be in them long after an episode had aired. They were always there, never disappointed & provided the fuel to help me become the creative person I am today. That connection I felt with those characters & their universes, sadly, nothing else in my adult life has ever really come close to paralleling.

Oh, I had real friends growing up, but somehow these shows with their above-average intelligence, memorable characters, true sense of atmosphere & unforgettable themes/scores tapped into the far reaches of my imagination; somehow becoming even closer than of any of my actual friends ever were to me. It's true. When they eventually ended, I felt (still feel) like a best friend had died. No, I don't need to seek counseling or a straitjacket. I am quite content with my affinity for that last golden era of animation & the gift it gave me & so many others as evident by the countless websites (like gbfans), blog postings, tribute videos, etc. that have existed since the infancy of the Internet. You can't deny there's a void that exists now when you wake up early on a Saturday morning as if you had an appointment, but your resulting "entertainment" is surfing the web. -_-
But I digress.

I created this post as a means for anyone who felt like sharing fond memories they have of watching The Real Ghostbusters; any specific episode or the series as a whole. Did it have sort of the same impact on you as it did on me?
JurorNo.2, GBfan_CH liked this
By *NormalGamer*
For me, it's hard to choose which RGB memories are the best; pretty much a majority of RGB episodes are great in their own right, but for me, the one episode I remember a lot was "Xmas Marks the Spot" which is RGB's retelling of "A Christmas Carol". Fun episode. ^_^
By pferreira1983
*NormalGamer* wrote:For me, it's hard to choose which RGB memories are the best; pretty much a majority of RGB episodes are great in their own right, but for me, the one episode I remember a lot was "Xmas Marks the Spot" which is RGB's retelling of "A Christmas Carol". Fun episode. ^_^
I watch it every Christmas since I got the DVD boxset. :)
By Razorgeist
pferreira1983 wrote:
*NormalGamer* wrote:For me, it's hard to choose which RGB memories are the best; pretty much a majority of RGB episodes are great in their own right, but for me, the one episode I remember a lot was "Xmas Marks the Spot" which is RGB's retelling of "A Christmas Carol". Fun episode. ^_^
I watch it every Christmas since I got the DVD boxset. :)
Same here...its become a tradition for me. I also watch the Samhain episodes on Halloween.
pferreira1983 liked this
By Havoc0213
Anytime I see the episode "Afterlife in the Fast Lane" I always think of the day I fell into the lake at my uncles house. I was saved by the Kenner Proton Pack I had been wearing. Because it's hallow, it kept me afloat until my uncle pulled me out of the water. When I went back inside to dry off, that was the episode airing. I have no dislike for the episode because of that day, I just think to myself "I could have died that day". lol
pferreira1983, gold333 liked this
By pferreira1983
Havoc0213 wrote:Anytime I see the episode "Afterlife in the Fast Lane" I always think of the day I fell into the lake at my uncles house. I was saved by the Kenner Proton Pack I had been wearing. Because it's hallow, it kept me afloat until my uncle pulled me out of the water. When I went back inside to dry off, that was the episode airing. I have no dislike for the episode because of that day, I just think to myself "I could have died that day". lol
Ghostbusters saved your life? That's amazing! See don't ever let anyone tell you Ghostbusters isn't good for you.
By Havoc0213
pferreira1983 wrote:
Havoc0213 wrote:Anytime I see the episode "Afterlife in the Fast Lane" I always think of the day I fell into the lake at my uncles house. I was saved by the Kenner Proton Pack I had been wearing. Because it's hallow, it kept me afloat until my uncle pulled me out of the water. When I went back inside to dry off, that was the episode airing. I have no dislike for the episode because of that day, I just think to myself "I could have died that day". lol
Ghostbusters saved your life? That's amazing! See don't ever let anyone tell you Ghostbusters isn't good for you.
Indeed it did! Someone did tell me once that they thought my obsession with GB was unhealthy. Boy were they surprised when I told them the story. lol
By JurorNo.2
SonofSamhain wrote:Image
You can't deny there's a void that exists now when you wake up early on a Saturday morning as if you had an appointment, but your resulting "entertainment" is surfing the web. -_-
Absolutely, very true. Though, Saturday morning reruns of Law & Order are almost just as good. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I was one of those '80s kids who saw The Real Ghostbusters before I saw the live action movies. I remember seeing Ghostbusters II in the theater at 6 years old, and Dana said, "What are you working on, Egon?" and seeing this guy with glasses and (only slightly) less crazy hair, and I remember thinking, "Oh OK, this is 'real life' Egon, I get it!" I remember being confused because to me real life Peter looked like cartoon Ray, and real life Ray looked like cartoon Peter (again, mainly the hair, lol). Anyway, it made me feel mature to be watching this grown up version of a cartoon I enjoyed :mrgreen:.

My memories of the cartoon itself was that it was more serious, darker than your average Saturday morning fare:
*Egon reasoning with a ghost through sign language.
*Albert Einstein giving Winston advice, though "just try your best" sounded a lot deeper when I was 3, lol.
*Drool the Dog Faced Goblin episode, probably one of my first exposures to the concept of a bittersweet ending.
*The "Doctor, Doctor" episode when the stuff is bubbling under Egon's arm, that was REALLY scary at the time, just the way they knew something bad was about to happen and there was nothing they could do about it.
*The Grundel episode of course, I guess everyone brings that one up. That bothered me for years. It was like a more hard core version of that Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue special!

When I watch the show now, I'm amazed at how funny it was. I guess it was like Adam West Batman in that way, as a kid you take it real seriously and don't always understand camp and satire. Like in that Copy Cat episode, when Egon says, "And I would never say, 'Just because,'" as a kid you were like, "Yeah, Egon would never say that!" As an adult, you can recognize and appreciate Egon's dry wit.

I'll try to get the box set for my birthday later this year, so I'll probably have more to share later. Thanks for the opportunity!
By Bangoose
One episode that tends to pop in my head frequently is the one where Egon,Winston and Ray turned into animals and Peter turned into some muscle bound version of himself. Egon was a duck,Winston was a dog and i think Ray was a monkey. I also remember from that episode Peter at one point shouted "I AM VENKMAAAAAAAAAAAN!!" while beating his chest.
- I remember when I first saw the opening and I was surprised that it was a rock piece. Being Italian, I was used to hear cartoon themes being sung by Cristina D'Avena, but this theme was so different, it's like it was saying "This is not like the cartoons you're used to. This cartoon will ROCK you!"
- I remember the first episodes being just scary enough to keep me on the edge of my seat, but still trepidating to see how the story would continue.
- I remember seeing Slimer's slime and thinking it would be SO COOL to play with that substance.
- I remember being so fascinated by those proton packs that I memorized that name the first time I heard it, then I looked up "proton" on my encyclopedia as soon as that episode ended. The next day, at school, I drew a "proton pack construction plan" that explained how the conical tip of the proton gun held a strong positive electrical charge that repelled protons. Then, DECADES later, I went ahead and built a device that generates a positive electrical charge on a metallic tip and a stream of ions ;-) Yes, really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabLee1My-A I'm pretty sure that I would've NEVER done that, if it wasn't for watching The Real Ghostbusters as a kid.
By Bangoose
Another oddball episode i remember was when an experiment Egon was doing went wrong and caused him to switch bodies with Slimer. I remember that he couldnt keep balance or a grip on the proton pack while in Slimer's body
By Vahan
Bangoose wrote:Another oddball episode i remember was when an experiment Egon was doing went wrong and caused him to switch bodies with Slimer. I remember that he couldnt keep balance or a grip on the proton pack while in Slimer's body
That was "Slimer, Is That You?". Great episode. Pretty funny, too. Slimer looked cute with Egon's glasses and his voice.
Another memory I have of RGB is watching an episode where a creature with tentacles and many mouths feeds on electricity in a space station, and being absolutely TERRIFIED. The first time I didn't even manage to watch it to the end!

Another space episode (or was it the same?) showed what only later I recognized as a Star Trek parody. Two crewmembers teleported to the surface of a planet, only to rematerialize as living skeletons. One tells the other "Oh my, this never happened before." The other replies: "We are dead." That creeped me out quite a bit.
For me The Real Ghostbusters holds a special place in my heart since it was one of the first television shows that I watched. I remember getting pretty scared watching Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood the first time and seeing Peter possessed by what . I also remember this was the first show, that my parents taped off the TV for me. I especially cherished watching X-mas Marks The Spot at Christmas time quite a bit during this time frame (Since I taped it ).
When the show entered syndication in 1987, I was thrilled that I could watch the show during the week as well as Saturday mornings. That same year, my aunt made me a Halloween costume based on Peter Venkman's jumpsuit which I loved so much, I even wore it while I watched the show on occasion. Halloween time always had me thinking of The Real Ghostbusters, especially Halloween 1989, when ABC aired the Halloween Door in prime time, which I taped.

I got a ton of scares and laughs form this show just like I did from both movies. I owned most of the VHS tapes from Magic Window for many years even after the show had ended. I started watching the tapes again for quite some time after Fox Family stopped showing the reruns since I was wondering if the show would get a DVD release. Fast forward to 2009, when I purchased the Time Life DVD set and I got one of the best trips down memory lane ever! It was so much fun watching the show again and I discovered as a grown up, the show really holds up and it has a lot of very funny jokes that appeal to kids and grown ups alike.
Murray the Mantis and Cry Uncle were my favorite episodes as a kid, just because it featured Stay Puft. Sticky Business was OK, too, but it featured a talking Stay Puft, which I didn't like as much.

As an adult, the episode Ghostbusters in Paris, is a particularly interesting concept. How would someone have battled ghosts prior to the development of Proton Packs? The idea of using the Eiffle Tower as a giant containment unit is pretty brilliant, if you ask me. I know there was some concept for Ghostbusters 3 out there that borrowed from this idea in order to write Egon out of the movie due to Harold Ramis' untimely death. Apparently it was going to explain that in the late 1990s Egon turned the Brooklyn Bridge into a giant containment unit to capture some giant threat. Some type of explosion or cross-rip occurred, which killed him.
JonXCTrack wrote:I know there was some concept for Ghostbusters 3 out there that borrowed from this idea in order to write Egon out of the movie due to Harold Ramis' untimely death. Apparently it was going to explain that in the late 1990s Egon turned the Brooklyn Bridge into a giant containment unit to capture some giant threat. Some type of explosion or cross-rip occurred, which killed him.
I don't recall hearing that. I'm guessing it was probably fan fiction, and not ever an official script idea that was being pursued. I don't think they ever were looking at GBIII ideas after Harold Ramis died. Any chance you have a link?
Doctor Venkman wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote:I know there was some concept for Ghostbusters 3 out there that borrowed from this idea in order to write Egon out of the movie due to Harold Ramis' untimely death. Apparently it was going to explain that in the late 1990s Egon turned the Brooklyn Bridge into a giant containment unit to capture some giant threat. Some type of explosion or cross-rip occurred, which killed him.
I don't recall hearing that. I'm guessing it was probably fan fiction, and not ever an official script idea that was being pursued. I don't think they ever were looking at GBIII ideas after Harold Ramis died. Any chance you have a link?
I tried doing some google searches but I can't seem to find it. It may have been a fan fic that I was confusing with a leaked plot. Either way, it seems like a good way to write Egon's character out of any future films.
By GBfan_CH
Up until fairly recently I had a dozen VHS tapes with probably every episode they showed on UK to in the first three series apart from two. Not sure how that devil in the deep passed me by and my sister ended up with Citizen Ghost. Long story but I only ever saw it once!

I'd say 40 episodes of RGB still stack up as classics. Mostly from the first two seasons. Which is a good number I'd say.
I also used to record the episodes shown here in the UK and had a 3 hour tape of as many episodes as I could fit on it. Even when I was reading Nintendo magazine or something and just wanted something on in the background, i'd pop that tape on. As a result, the background music they used in episodes are ingrained in my mind to this day.
By Razorgeist
JonXCTrack wrote:Murray the Mantis and Cry Uncle were my favorite episodes as a kid, just because it featured Stay Puft. Sticky Business was OK, too, but it featured a talking Stay Puft, which I didn't like as much.

As an adult, the episode Ghostbusters in Paris, is a particularly interesting concept. How would someone have battled ghosts prior to the development of Proton Packs? The idea of using the Eiffle Tower as a giant containment unit is pretty brilliant, if you ask me.
I was thinking the same thing.
Please don't go crazy on me but the cartoons were SO MUCH more awesome than the movie. One of my favorite of all time.
Im in agreement with you. I enjoy GB2 but as Moviebob pointed out its rather frustrating that it ignored all the world building and character development the cartoon did just to reset the world to zero to tell the same story again.
By Fritz
Bangoose wrote:Unless my memories are wrong i also remember watching an episode where the RGB were in either in outer space or busting a ghost that was haunting a space ship.
There were two episodes with that basic plot: "Ain't Nasa-sarrily So" from 1987, and "Space Busters" from 1990.
pferreira1983 liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]