For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
I actually didn't leave in my favorite part of the episode though: in the "Woodchuck" leave it to beaver parody, the adult he's talking to calls him a loser. That was pretty funny. Not sure why.
That part always made me laugh. Did you catch the "Masters of the Universe" knock?
seaniccus wrote:I didn't! That's not a surprise though, I didn't see that much Masters of the Universe when I was a kid. Was that in the scene in the diner?
Yep Ray remarks that the show is based on a great toy and Peter snarks about it. RGB did that a few times.
Razorgeist wrote:
seaniccus wrote:I didn't! That's not a surprise though, I didn't see that much Masters of the Universe when I was a kid. Was that in the scene in the diner?
Yep Ray remarks that the show is based on a great toy and Peter snarks about it. RGB did that a few times.
Oh! I actually took that to be a GI Joe and Transformers reference! There were a ton of shows like that when I was a kid!
seaniccus wrote:Time to Play Them Ragtime Boos

These are getting better -- so it seems that last week's bad episode was more of an exception than a rule, and that's great!

Hopefully I get some spare time to record some more soon, but this week's episode is the last one from my most recent recording session.
Fun fact: Dan Aykroyd once said in an interview that sometime in the early 80s, he was telepathically told to get out of bed and leave his house. I wonder if he happened to mention that story to the writers of this episode?

I also love how Egon is so disturbed at the idea of time, and even musical tastes, not progressing. I mean what adult show, never mind kids shows, thinks of this stuff?
JurorNo.2 wrote: Well in the case of RGB, the pacing wasn't intended to be slow, it was just the result of time constraints and budget, etc. But yes, in general I do think Hollywood movies have allowed story and pacing to take a back seat, and it's only gotten worse over time. Television is actually doing better and that's why it's getting more respect now.
TV today unfortunately is serialised storytelling stretched out over a season of episodes. I don't find it compelling like some people do. There's a reason people binge watch TV shows of the current generation.
pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote: Well in the case of RGB, the pacing wasn't intended to be slow, it was just the result of time constraints and budget, etc. But yes, in general I do think Hollywood movies have allowed story and pacing to take a back seat, and it's only gotten worse over time. Television is actually doing better and that's why it's getting more respect now.
TV today unfortunately is serialised storytelling stretched out over a season of episodes. I don't find it compelling like some people do. There's a reason people binge watch TV shows of the current generation.
Oh I agree, I can't say I watch a ton of TV myself.
pferreira1983 liked this
I hope "Sea Fright" isn't anybody's favorite... because it's not mine:

This is a half-skip episode -- and maybe a standard for moving forward on episodes I don't have a lot to say about. Sea Fright just kind of bored me. I was so uninvested in the plot, I hardly had anything to say about it. In this episode, I point out a few things I thought were weird, and then move on. And that's the new norm: if I can't think of anything interesting to talk about on the first viewing, I won't.

The good news, however, is there's several really good episodes right after this, and I've already recorded them! Last week I spent a day at my family's old cabin, and recorded the footage for 8 YouTube episodes. I think only two of them (including this one) are "skips."

Now featuring a new, less cluttered background for me! We'll see what I do when I run out of this backlog, though. I can't drive to the wilderness EVERY time I want to record something.
JurorNo.2, Razorgeist liked this
I wouldn't worry I dont think that episode is anyone's favorite. This one is rather meh for me. The concept is kind of fun but I cant find any fault in your complaints.
Yeah. I mean, I loved the bit where the ghost pirates robbed the rhinestone cowboy, and of course the episode looks like high art compared to some of the stuff from 1989-1991, but I admit it was one I skipped a lot of the time when it came on during the syndicated rotation.
Razorgeist wrote:I wouldn't worry I dont think that episode is anyone's favorite. This one is rather meh for me. The concept is kind of fun but I cant find any fault in your complaints.
I actually like the episode...from what I remember anyway. One thing I remember most clearly is Winston swinging on a rope and then falling. :lol:
It's not without it's funny moments, but it's just not a stand-out episode. When I compare it to the other episodes I recorded that weekend, it's just leagues behind in terms of quality.

In other news, I'll be guest starring on the Ghostbusters Minute podcast in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned for that !
I thought I was the only one who felt bad for the Domovoi. Im with you pretty solid episode. Though I do love me some Winston James Browning.
seaniccus liked this
seaniccus wrote:And we're back with The Spirit of Aunt Lois:
This one's a little better, though it baffles me why the Aunt of one of the Ghostbusters decided to go with a TV Psychic for her paranormal elimination needs, rather than, you know, her nephew.
What I love about this cartoon is the writers ability to take something quite scary like a seance and make fun of the whole thing with slapstick and humour. I can't watch seance's now because they make me laugh due to this episode.
I'm still having an episode pop in the morning, for my usual wednesday update, but there's a short bonus video today:

It's actually a promo for my Friend's podcast: Ghostbuster's Minute. I'm on a few episodes airing this week. It's a daily show where we analyze the original Ghostbusters film minute by minute. One minute at a time, per episode. It's fun, silly and well, I kinda want to spread the word. So there we go.

Normal episodes will resume tomorrow, but I'm away for work, so I won't be able to post in here about it until later!
Speaking of relatives, I know one of the novelizations mentions Ray's parents being lost in a plane flight and Egon suggesting they could be stuck in the Bermuda Triangle (prompting Ray to punch him, lol). My first thought is it's a bit too heavy for a kid's show, but then again RGB did flirt with darker themes every now and then.

I really should try to find that novelization though...Or ask a relative if they're feeling generous, lol.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Speaking of relatives, I know one of the novelizations mentions Ray's parents being lost in a plane flight and Egon suggesting they could be stuck in the Bermuda Triangle (prompting Ray to punch him, lol). My first thought is it's a bit too heavy for a kid's show, but then again RGB did flirt with darker themes every now and then.

I really should try to find that novelization though...Or ask a relative if they're feeling generous, lol.
Razorgeist wrote:If memory serves me Richard Mueller was responsible for quite a bit of the GB's backstories and world building.
The hard copy can still turn up from time to time at used book stores--I found it myself at a Half Price Books a few months ago--but you can find PDF scans of both the Mueller novel and the Larry Milne one (which I didn't find as interesting) at Spook Central:
http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_book.htm

Mueller did create many of the Ghostbuster relatives that appeared on the show: he wrote "The Spirit of Aunt Lois", all three Jim Venkman episodes ("Venkman's Ghost Repellers", "Cold Cash and Hot Water", "Treasure of the Sierra Tamale") and "The Brooklyn Triangle' (Ed Zeddemore).
JurorNo.2 liked this
Fritz wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Speaking of relatives, I know one of the novelizations mentions Ray's parents being lost in a plane flight and Egon suggesting they could be stuck in the Bermuda Triangle (prompting Ray to punch him, lol). My first thought is it's a bit too heavy for a kid's show, but then again RGB did flirt with darker themes every now and then.

Razorgeist wrote:If memory serves me Richard Mueller was responsible for quite a bit of the GB's backstories and world building.
The hard copy can still turn up from time to time at used book stores--I found it myself at a Half Price Books a few months ago--but you can find PDF scans of both the Mueller novel and the Larry Milne one (which I didn't find as interesting) at Spook Central:
http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_book.htm

Mueller did create many of the Ghostbuster relatives that appeared on the show: he wrote "The Spirit of Aunt Lois", all three Jim Venkman episodes ("Venkman's Ghost Repellers", "Cold Cash and Hot Water", "Treasure of the Sierra Tamale") and "The Brooklyn Triangle' (Ed Zeddemore).
Ahh, very very nice! My relatives' wallets thank you! :-D
pferreira1983 wrote:
Vahan wrote:"Venkman's Ghost Repellers", "The Spirit of Aunt Lois", and "Cold Cash and Hot Water" all seemed to be something of a "trilogy".
Can you remember the correct viewing order and if Time Life put the episodes on their DVD boxset in that viewing order?
I don't know the correct viewing order, but I know Time-Life put all the Syndicated episodes in production order.
I always wanted to find a copy of the Ghostbusters The Return -- I know the PDF is available, but I feel guilty reading it without having it in book form. That's on me, I guess.

ANYWAY, we're back by the skin of our teeth this week:

Adventures in Slime and Space

This episode is SO stupid, but incredibly funny. Just joke after joke -- it could have been a disaster, but great writing saved it!

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]